Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfUnkBfdZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6as8ahAr1Uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fis-9Zqu2Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cle_rKBpZ28

Releases March, 25 2016 in the US

Director: Zack Snyder
Director of Photography: Larry Fong (300, Watchmen)
Written by: Chris Terrio (Argo) and David S. Goyer (Man of Steel)
Based on characters by: Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Bob Kane, and Bill Finger
Music by: Junkie XL and Hans Zimmer
Edited by: David Brenner (Man of Steel, 300: Rise of an Empire)

Starring
Henry Cavill as Clark Kent / Superman
Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne / Batman
Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor
Gal Gadot as Diana Prince / Wonder Woman
Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry / Aquaman
Amy Adams as Lois Lane
Diane Lane as Martha Kent
Laurence Fishburne as Perry White
Jeremy Irons as Alfred
Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne
Michael Shannon as General Zod
Holly Hunter as Senator Finch

Subtext Mod Challenge

Due to "an inability to acknowledge the subtext of various movies and comics," CineD mod GonSmithe invoked a mod challenge on Baron Bifford in this thread on November 17th, 2015. This is a memorial to those that rose to the challenge, and to those that fell.

* GonSmithe invokes the challenge
* Jenny Angel's essay, Blood is Compulsory: The Coercive State and Performative Identity in Anger Management
* Barron Bifford's essay, Sometimes, Science Can be Mean
* Hbomberguy's essay, Jack, Jill, Class Disparity and the State of the Modern Progressive Western Identity
* BrianWilly's essay, Timeo Danaos et Dona Ferentes: The Intersection of Western Folklore and Divine Morality Exemplified by Click
* GonSmithe announces the results

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

ffffaaaaaarrrrrtttttt

*is splattered with screenshots

*is still trepidatious that this will collapse under the edict that all DC movies follow the same formula as the marvel MCU

*liked MOS as a Superman move for never had any childlike nostalgia for the Donner films, nor manchildlike nostalgia for literal comicbooks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie is probably going to be good. I have faith in Snyder.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
*flaps hands* woow

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
When will superhero movies finally die...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wonder if this movie has any potential to go a way other than "they fight over a misunderstanding and then team up to fight something big and worse."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it'll either be good or an entertaining/interesting failure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

*liked MOS as a Superman move for never had any childlike nostalgia for the Donner films, nor manchildlike nostalgia for literal comicbooks

Man of Steel is a giant love letter to the comic books and features a bunch of direct quotations and references from popular Superman comics as well as direct references to comic storylines. It is literally the opposite of not having had nostalgia for the literal comic books.

weekly font posted:

I wonder if this movie has any potential to go a way other than "they fight over a misunderstanding and then team up to fight something big and worse."

No.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think they're more saying that they don't have nostalgia

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 7, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Batman has tire tread boob.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*fifteen pages of arguments about how Batman could possibly pose a threat to Superman*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

weekly font posted:

Less "misunderstanding" and more "Batman is paranoid as all hell".

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
i wonder who batman will kill in this movie

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

cat doter posted:

i wonder who batman will kill in this movie

He kills crime.....inals....

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I for one am looking forward to another movie shot like a feature length trailer and accompanied by dialogue so bad it probably did come straight from a comic book, all done in a tone of utter and complete seriousness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

I for one am looking forward to another movie shot like a feature length trailer
Could you give an example of what you mean?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

LOL at Batman wearing fatigues over his Batman disguise or whatever is going on here

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drink-Mix Man posted:

LOL at Batman wearing fatigues over his Batman disguise or whatever is going on here

That's canon. :colbert:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That actually looks like Russian batman from red son. In any case, it appears to be a vision of a future where superman rules earth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kingtheninja posted:

That actually looks like Russian batman from red son. In any case, it appears to be a vision of a future where superman rules earth.

I didn't know Scarlet Witch was going to be in this movie too.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This movie might end up being a total flop, but at least it seems like it will have tried to do something, unlike any movie in the MCU.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nah its gonna make a shitzillion dollars.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've never really been excited for movies, per se, but seeing how much I enjoyed Man of Steel I have some rather high expectations and at the same time am confident my expectations will be met.

In other words I'm pretty stoked.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Zack Snyder isn't a lovely director he's a lovely writer. His films visually are really great. Come at me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Man of Steel is a giant love letter to the comic books and features a bunch of direct quotations and references from popular Superman comics as well as direct references to comic storylines. It is literally the opposite of not having had nostalgia for the literal comic books.

No.

the problem is that it was caught trying to be an origin story and showing a side of the character that fans are used to not existing at all

Martman posted:

*fifteen pages of arguments about how Batman could possibly pose a threat to Superman*

literally the entirety of the fight scene in dark knight returns which is being lifted fuckin wholesale because dc is creatively bankrupt and thats the only batman thing they can think to milk, but they're too stupid to milk it properly so its just a fight scene

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Literally The Worst posted:

the problem is that it was caught trying to be an origin story and showing a side of the character that fans are used to not existing at all

literally the entirety of the fight scene in dark knight returns which is being lifted fuckin wholesale because dc is creatively bankrupt and thats the only batman thing they can think to milk, but they're too stupid to milk it properly so its just a fight scene

Nah.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yeah, that's the idea behind establishing a take on the character. Batman Begins does exactly the same thing.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
To contribute to the thread, here's an interview with BvS's producer Charles Roven : http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-new-trailer-extended-cut-charles-roven/

He mentions that a new footage may come out "very soon", and I think he implied that there will be a director's cut.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Has anybody said Yawn of Justice yet

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KinkyJohn posted:

Has anybody said Yawn of Justice yet

more like, Dawn of Just rear end, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

They're lifting the bit where a one-armed Green Arrow shoots Superman with kryptonite, and the bit where Batman fakes his death to avoid getting his poo poo punched in?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're lifting the bit where a one-armed Green Arrow shoots Superman with kryptonite, and the bit where Batman fakes his death to avoid getting his poo poo punched in?
It's just gonna cut to a video of someone flipping the pages of DKR. But they'll go a little too fast so you can't even read the words.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Yeah, that's the idea behind establishing a take on the character. Batman Begins does exactly the same thing.

Nah Begins hews way closer to already existing origin stories

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you read that scene and that was what you figured the reason was for faking his death I have to assume you're literally illiterate (hint the entire scene is a sloppy blowjob to the idea that Batman can beat anything if he has time to prepare, Superman isn't the actual problem)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nah Begins hews way closer to already existing origin stories

Aside from his parents dying, no not really.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Begins was way off. Knowing his parents' killer from the start, his gun thing being about him attempting to get revenge on his parents' killer and realizing that it was empty, him focusing not on martial arts and learning but living as a poor criminal and realizing that crime is based on deeper factors, the League being behind his parents' murder and his main teacher, etc.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

If you read that scene and that was what you figured the reason was for faking his death I have to assume you're literally illiterate (hint the entire scene is a sloppy blowjob to the idea that Batman can beat anything if he has time to prepare, Superman isn't the actual problem)

I'm still not sure why you think BvS will copy the TDKR fight panel for panel. Can you explain? Of course the film is taking direct cues from the book, but it's clear that BvS is modifying the fight to fit a new context.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

There's nothing you can cite to support this at all. So far we have maybe 5 seconds of this fight and no real context (there's some implied context, but trailers can be misleading. There's also some unconfirmed rumors).

Also DC is a big company and don't think it's helpful to say that different divisions run by different people for different purposes all share some monolithic trait without providing some evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
There's also the seemingly swap of politics between Superman and Batman; what with Batman being more pro-establishment than MoS's Superman.

• Locked thread