Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Still, it's a goofy, cutey-patootie facial expression, which seems to be his trademark as Superman.

Superman as a manipulative, Walter Keane level doe eyed boy who makes mankind feel bad for him, despite the fact that he punks them with his very existence, would be hilarious.

S: Sowwy I bwoke up you city with my supow battow, Metwopowiss
M:...it's... fine. everything... is fine.
S: My pwanet is deeeeeead and now I'm awwww awone
M:... there... there. do you... sigh... do you need a hug?
S: yews, but I'd cwush you prolly, on account you aw so tiny and weak and I'm so powafuw
M:...We're... er, sorry?
---
I need to give Man of Steel another shot. I really liked the opening scenes in Krypton, but I watched it at home with a chatty group & the minute the big opening was finished everyone went back to gabbing, so I technically haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was specifically asking how Man of Steel alone references Jesus (which people have definitely shown good examples of). I'm not denying that there are parallels between Superman and Jesus in general, just trying to figure out why people feel like Man of Steel in particular went too far with it or something. I still think it adds enough twists to the references that it's not just providing imagery solely to show "lol look Superman is Jesus!!"

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 13, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Watch it. If you were onboard with the stuff on Krypton, I'm guessing you'll like the rest.

weekly font posted:

I think they were posted in response to someone asking how the movie compares Jesus to Supes.

They're good shots but they definitely don't change my mind that the color palette is a bit dull.

I think Hundu is aware that I adore Man of Steel, and my overstuffing the OP with screenshots should make my enthusiasm for the new one clear.

I didn't post the comparison as quite being about Jesus, but instead the "false god" comment, which reminded me of Superman being in front of the sun in the trailer and my curiosity about what that would mean.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Regarding those two screens posted, I liked that the hostility (the tank gun barrel) had been replaced by need (the outstretched, grasping arm).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Watch it. If you were onboard with the stuff on Krypton, I'm guessing you'll like the rest.

I probably would. I've liked everything by Snyder, save for Sucker Punch, which grated on my nerves something fierce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first shot, particularly, with him next to the sun rather than the sun giving him an aura is much more ambiguous. One is saying he is a sun god, the other is saying he is (potentially) a false god. A direct equivalence versus a 'forced' equivalence.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anybody who thinks these shots approach 'bad' is insane.

I think it's a lack of subtly that people have a problem with.

sponges fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 13, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Regarding those two screens posted, I liked that the hostility (the tank gun barrel) had been replaced by need (the outstretched, grasping arm).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I think it's a lack of subtly that be have a problem with.

The movie about the guy with the big S on his chest should not be subtle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That and goons tend to have a problem with subtlety in film. Or even lack of subtlety, going by the responses to Dark Knight Rises.

"Why didn't Bane just kill Bruce in the Prison???"

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Our grandfathers witnessed the infamous leotard-wrestling matches between Adam West and George Reeves. Our fathers cried when Christopher Reeve's accident cut short the highly anticipated confrontation with Michael Keaton that resulted the film being disastrously reworked as Batman Forever. Nick Cage refused to even show up on set after George Clooney sent him death threats. Fans were torn in two at the news of Kevin Conroy being beaten nearly comatose outside the recording booth by Tim Daly. Tom Welling was seen cackling with glee when the first season of David Mazouz's turn as the infamous Batman had a cold critical reception. And now two of the most popular, most beloved actors of the modern age, Ben Affleck and Hen Cavill, will meet in the ring to decide who survives to lead the Justice League against the Joker in the next film and eventually marry Gal Godot in Justice League 3. The other will be effectively erased from cinematic history. Not sure we've ever seen a high-profile conflict like this before.

Who will win? My official prediction is Superman 76, Batman 62. Batman will open with some solid scoring from the perimeter but ultimately Superman's notoriously misaligned fingers will distract him enough to a series of breakaway dunks that break the game wide open. I don't think Batman has the lateral vision to defend well enough with that cowl.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The S stands for hope

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The S stands for hope

It sure doesn't stand for 'subtlety' :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The S stands for hope

Heh. Maybe on your world...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
I don't think you can dispute him on it, do you know Kryptonian? Heck, do you even knew about it before he told you about it? checkmate

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jor-El didn't have the heart to tell him that it's the Kryptonian symbol for "Adulterer" and that the House of El were branded thousands of years ago as horrible Lotharios.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

haha, it's like when westerners get kanji tattoos thinking they mean "strength" and really it's "Tom Clancy's The Pelican Brief" or something like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There is a certain element of that in the film, although it's not emphasized. In real life, there was a trend for Mexican Americans to adopt the term "Aztec" to describe themselves even though they really have no connection whatsoever other than a faint genetic lineage.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Clark does have a slight snottiness about him when he says that the symbol stands for hope, which isn't that far off from people who one day start embracing some heritage that they don't have a real cultural connection to and they don't really know much about. He, of course, gets this beaten out of him when the real Kryptonians show up. For better or worse, he's a child of Earth.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Honest Thief posted:

There's also the seemingly swap of politics between Superman and Batman; what with Batman being more pro-establishment than MoS's Superman.
I don't remember any substantial political commentary in MoS. So far this Superman hasn't taken issue with how the US government runs the country.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't remember any substantial political commentary in MoS. So far this Superman hasn't taken issue with how the US government runs the country.

Superman literally destroys a drone being used to spy on an American citizen and tells the army to stop suspecting him just because he's of the same race as people who did 9/11.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
All he's saying there is that he wants his privacy and independence. He doesn't condemn government surveillance programs in general. Nor does he ever say anything regarding taxation, military spending, foreign policy, welfare programs, police powers, etc. Is this Superman left-wing or right-wing? Is he religious or secular? Is he a conservative or a radical? He could be any of these things as far as we can tell.

DC Comics has always bent over backwards to keep Superman as apolitical as possible. Back in 2008 DC did this mini-series DC Universe Decisions where various superheroes openly endorsed presidential candidates. Superman refused to tell anyone who he voted for, even his wife.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Clark Kent is an illegal immigrant who, thanks to having been raised in this country, claims to be "about as American as it gets." It's an explicit support for the basic philosophical underpinnings of things like the DREAM Act.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

All he's saying there is that he wants his privacy and independence. He doesn't condemn government surveillance programs in general. Nor does he ever say anything regarding taxation, military spending, foreign policy, welfare programs, police powers, etc. Is this Superman left-wing or right-wing? Is he religious or secular? Is he a conservative or a radical? He could be any of these things as far as we can tell.

DC Comics has always bent over backwards to keep Superman as apolitical as possible. Back in 2008 DC did this mini-series DC Universe Decisions where various superheroes openly endorsed presidential candidates. Superman refused to tell anyone who he voted for, even his wife.

He actually does take a position though doesn't he?

"I'm as American as it gets" or something.

I gotta say, it sort of hurt to hear a Brit say such things. I hear the Queen was livid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

DC Comics has always bent over backwards to keep Superman as apolitical as possible.

You should read some actual Superman comics.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
This could wind up being another one of those threads where I'm the one guy arguing that the cigar is just a cigar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

This could wind up being another one of those threads where I'm the one guy arguing that the cigar is just a cigar.

Sometimes a cigar is in fact a big throbbing cock. The trailers alone for BvS make it pretty clear that whatever Snyder is doing it isn't apolitical. Superman being apolitical is not actually a thing. Sometimes he represents the establishment (as in TDKR where he is literally working for Ronald Reagan) and sometimes he's counter-establishment (as in the modern comics where he's literally beating up corrupt cops) but he's not apolitical by default.

Edit: Also Zach Snyder has stated in interviews that being an immigrant struggling to come to terms with his American identity is a central part of his version of Superman's identity

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 13, 2015

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Bifford posted:

the cigar is just a cigar.

And the movie that features Superman appearing before a Senate oversight committee is just an apolitical exercise

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron Bifford posted:

You're on your own.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

More evidence of the sexual perversity that infests the House of El! HERESY!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes he represents the establishment (as in TDKR where he is literally working for Ronald Reagan)
Frank Miller himself kind of negated that in The Dark Knight Strikes Again where he revealed that Superman was coerced into working for the government by Luthor and Braniac.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

You're on your own.

This made me think of Blazing Saddles, so I appreciate it.

Plus it's flying dongs, so you know. :dong:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Deuteronomy 23:1 (ESV)

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.

Heathens!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skizzzer posted:

Deuteronomy 23:1 (ESV)

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.

Heathens!

The Phantom Zone is science hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Frank Miller himself kind of negated that in The Dark Knight Strikes Again where he revealed that Superman was coerced into working for the government by Luthor and Braniac.

More evidence that terrible sequels can in fact retroactively ruin something good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Baron Bifford posted:

DC Comics has always bent over backwards to keep Superman as apolitical as possible.
Like the one who is a black president of the US who has to deal with people accusing him of not being born in America

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

That matters not a single iota because there are literally decades between the two and in particular TDKSA is heavily political due to it being post 9/11 and that having a [i]tremendous[/i impact on Frank "went on to write Holy Terror" Miller. In the original story the political aspect is very clear.;

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Everyone thinking Lex Luthor is racist because he's a bald white man who hates a black superhero is just perfect.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You should read some actual Superman comics.

I though the colours on my screen had melted then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There's a difference between referencing an issue and taking a position on it.

• Locked thread