Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Our grandfathers witnessed the infamous leotard-wrestling matches between Adam West and George Reeves. Our fathers cried when Christopher Reeve's accident cut short the highly anticipated confrontation with Michael Keaton that resulted the film being disastrously reworked as Batman Forever. Nick Cage refused to even show up on set after George Clooney sent him death threats. Fans were torn in two at the news of Kevin Conroy being beaten nearly comatose outside the recording booth by Tim Daly. Tom Welling was seen cackling with glee when the first season of David Mazouz's turn as the infamous Batman had a cold critical reception. And now two of the most popular, most beloved actors of the modern age, Ben Affleck and Hen Cavill, will meet in the ring to decide who survives to lead the Justice League against the Joker in the next film and eventually marry Gal Godot in Justice League 3. The other will be effectively erased from cinematic history. Not sure we've ever seen a high-profile conflict like this before.

Who will win? My official prediction is Superman 76, Batman 62. Batman will open with some solid scoring from the perimeter but ultimately Superman's notoriously misaligned fingers will distract him enough to a series of breakaway dunks that break the game wide open. I don't think Batman has the lateral vision to defend well enough with that cowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

everyone we see getting sentenced is actually 100% guilty so the system obviously works.

Do they show anyone besides Gordon getting sentenced?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Crossing fingers for someone's self-reflective essay about the robo-programmer from Grandma's Boy. That and Joe Dirt are the only two movies on that big list that I actually enjoy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
BvS: Bifford vs. SA. Victory conditions unclear.

"Do you read? You will."

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well its gotten people to obsessively post about it/him for pages now, including an extended discussion about an unrelated movie from 3 years ago. It's kind of funny how the general comic thread can't escape cyclical Man of Steel discussion, but in the actual thread about the franchise people just want to dissect a single person's opinion and psychology and the movie is forgotten.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

So basically BvS is gonna be loving beautiful and one of the better films of 2016. :)

friendship is always beautiful

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The real question is, can he/it see anything while the lasers are blasting, or if you just need to aim as good as possible and let loose.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Excited for the movie, but where MoS was most uninteresting to me was the extended final fight with him and Zod that I felt went on a bit too long at that point. Hopefully this Doomsday showdown that presumably ends the film isn't too gratuitous compared to the non-action parts, that little snippet of him looks like a familiar sort of bland CG creature others have pointed out and probably less compelling than the human characters. Hopefully it's just a vehicle for showing off the new team like the destroyer giant at the end of Thor was.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

"So we're just gonna drop her into the last ten minutes with no explanation and if you're not familiar with comics it's just like, 'who's this? Better watch the next one to find out!' "

"Well, look, she's called WONDER-Woman, right? So right there you have an element of mystery! We're just setting up a mystery, people will WONDER who this character is!" :pseudo:

"Did somebody say, wonder?"

* Wonder Woman pops out of a nearby dumbwaiter *

Electromax
May 6, 2007
At least most of us have it easier than the last 4000 years of human existence. I can deal with seeing complaints on the computer.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

He's with Fox, and I don't think Fox is as ironclad in the "you cannot do anything else" aspect as Disney/Marvel, though I could be wrong.

It's DC you'd have to convince. He's doing like YouTube videos as Deadpool and stuff. It's obviously his passion to embody that role.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
He's more comfortable rescuing stranded hikers in his helicopter.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Beeez posted:

So it really would seem that superhero movies in general can't be bothered with the idea of a hero that doesn't kill. I'm sure that says something about today's culture but I can't think of anything that wouldn't sound really trite.

Here's one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksaw_Ridge

Superman had a movie that dealt with it, Daredevil has a whole season about it, it would make no sense for soldiers Cap/Hawkeye/Widow/Falcon to be against it, too hypocritical for Iron Man, boring for Thor (who didn't kill Loki at the end of Avengers), impossible for Hulk. Batman has had plenty of stories about that conflict.

I don't think it says anything about today's culture that's any different than the last thousand years. If anything, the default for superheroes being 'thou shalt not kill' is less interesting than dealing with the consequences of a hero who does kill people, as evidenced by how much debate it created around Man of Steel that wouldn't exist if Zod just flew off to space.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Is there food in the Phantom Zone? What do they do about the bathroom?

e: Eventually with enough criminals does the Phantom Zone just become a new society?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
What about a comic where the hero can put anyone to sleep from afar with her sleep breath, so she does it to the baddie every week, then on Twitter that week fans vote on whether she snaps their neck or calls the cops next issue? Over a long enough time you'll cull the fanbase to those who perfectly understand her.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Batham posted:

I like this spoiler too. Series like Jessica Jones upped it to such a high extreme, that it just became so ridiculous and that I honestly liked the series a lot less due to it. Context: Yeah, sure, most heroes go "I won't kill people!", but in Jessica Jones it goes into overdrive. She won't kill the bad guy to save this girl that's in prison. This, while she acknowledges and sees the bad guy kill people left and right during the entire show. But she won't do it because she can't risk letting this innocent person go to jail! One guy even steps up to her and downright says "I'll take a sniper rifle and shoot him before he murders even more people!" and she just loving goes "Naw, can't do that!".

I don't think it would be that surprising to see a person like JJ have trouble with murdering another person, even a psychopath. She wasn't a soldier or a cop or a gangster. Just because you're OK with crazy bat vigilantes deciding they are the end-all decider of who gets killed doesn't mean everyone will be. Not even saying if I were in that situation I wouldn't pull the trigger, but the whole idea is that good-hearted people struggle with the decision even when the person is a Zod or Kilgrave or... a clown. And the show intentionally has about 8 characters call her out for not doing it, and she hums and hahs over whether she's making the right choice. You aren't meant to assume she's making the right decision just because the show is named after her.

I'd say there's a big plausibility boundary between the character Bruce Wayne being OK with killing people, and Jessica Jones.

Plus she DOES kill him in the end, only after the girl dies and she gives up on the idea of getting other people he framed cleared.

e: Has there ever been a Batman story that reflects real life a bit better, where he beats the poo poo out of some thugs and kills their rotweiller before realizing he had the wrong address and just killed some teenage graffiti artists on accident? To me the other side of the heroes that kill debate is whether their shown to make mistakes and kill innocents, part of the whole reason SWAT teams don't have "kill all criminals" as the default. Like whether Batman kills or not, it's still neutered by the assumption that he never picks the wrong person to target.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 22, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Someone is, right now, watching Terminator 2 and jerking it while picturing themselves as the liquid man.

Oh, that's not fair. Robert Patrick is still getting good work, he's probably on set somewhere.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Genuinely curious: Why are people getting upset that this film isn't getting more positive reviews?

Personally? I didn't love MoS but I liked what I saw about this movie in the trailers so I'm bummed that, even ignoring the "be like Marvel" reviews, there seems to be a general sense that it's overstuffed and too precipatory of the next movies and the main conflict justification is kind of flimsy - sounds like the elements that made Amazing Spider 2 and Ultron slogs.

Still planning to see it myself though. And not everyone is upset, there were plenty of slightly eye-rolling "good, critics trashing it makes me want to see it MORE" counter-culture responses when the initial reviews hit. Although I doubt a bunch of 99% reviews would've upset them either.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
People always cross-post stuff between these threads. Are there a lot of posters that don't just read both? It's all the same people.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Kurzon posted:

What IS the Anti-Life Equation anyway?

suspicious behavior alert

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Do the physics of that even make any sense though? That a guy who can't even give another guy a black eye can snap his neck with his bare hands?

Always took this as just one of those things. Under a microscope it doesn't make much sense that their muscles are basically unmovable by fists but suddenly Zod's neck can't withstand Superman trying to twist it - you'd think any one of their megaton punches into each others' cheeks would've broken the neck bones in that case. It's a weird little Achilles' Heel moment. Maybe the eye lasers took enough energy to produce/control that his neck was momentarily not made of steel or whatever.

Also reveals Superman is mortal if someone twists his neck the wrong way with enough force. Apparently the villain in BvS didn't get that memo though, or the final shot of the movie would've been less uplifting. He should've just watched the security footage of Zod's death to learn how it's properly done.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Immortan posted:

It would've given Catwoman a significant plot device rather than just being a novelty in the film.

Getting murdered to motivate the male hero is not a significant plot device. The same exact thing used in the 2nd movie, even.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Visual imagery ends up being accepted more than verbal statements. People see a guy get pounded through a wall at Mach Infinity. People hear the person who did that claim he didnt kill anyone. More people will take away "the guy is lying" than "the guy didnt kill anyone"

"He'll live."

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

It's easier to believe a guy getting shot in the leg by a precise robot will live than a guy being hit by a human-sized bullet and going through a wall.

(Mainly because most people dont understand how dangerous getting shot in your knee actually is)

I personally don't care, I just like imagining Arnold's voice coming from Superman's face.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
He should've just used his heat vision to cook the guy's frontal lobe so he goes all vegetable, and/or lasered the guy's legs off to cauterize the wounds. In Justice League 2 he finally realizes he DOES enjoy hurting/killing despite hating himself for it, so the others gotta team up to stop him going all Punisher on thugs.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is absolutely fine, but then there's no need to dig into his death as a specific element if the real problem is that you didn't enjoy the movie as a whole.

Saying you didn't enjoy the movie and stopping there doesn't go over well in this thread though, usually. There IS a need to dig into it, or else there'll be more posts about contributing nothing to conversation for us to enjoy.

ShineDog posted:

T1000s entire point is that he's a terrifying emotionless robot here to kill you. He is one note by design and that's fine for him.

Hey, he wags a 'no-no' finger at one point. That's emotion.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Does WW spend her time in her magic homeland usually, or does she have an apartment in Queens. To what extent does she even care about humans beyond 'must infiltrate this mortal's party for information'. I think she was at a hotel in the movie? It was weird to imagine WW buying a laptop and setting up a Gmail account, I guess she basically lives as Prince like Clark most of the time. Never read her comics so didn't know if she's more aloof like a Thor figure or more embedded. She left the world of man for a century, did she at least think the invention of HDTV was neat?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I like how it's shot but my home Blu-ray seems really heavy on the film grain, almost like too much. Can't remember if that's how it looked originally but I don't really like it, wish it was a bit less grainy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was excited about Age of Ultron and not super excited about BvS, so as a result AoU was disappointing and BvS was a pleasant surprise. But I also had a similar reaction to both in that I liked quite a few of the individual scenes in a vacuum, but not really the films as a whole.

Pirate Jet posted:

There isn't a single interesting shot in the whole thing

Eh, seems like an exaggeration because of evil evil Whedon. That's like people saying there's not a single moment of levity in MoS/BvS because evil evil Snyder. I thought it was a tremendous improvement over the first movie.

I also remember a tracking shot following some robots flying into Avengers tower, going through the conveyor line, up through the glass floor where Tony is talking, down over a railing, sort of a faked single shot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's the only shot of that scene in the youtube thing I dug up, the one I was looking for was the shot from behind where you can see his hood + arm in a little lightbeam before he stands up. Just didn't want to keep looking on my lunch break at work.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked the hand-to-hand bit with the knife midway through they're showing parts of here: https://youtu.be/eidATVU0Emo

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, interesting is a much better word to use. I'd rather watch an interesting bad movie rather than a boring movie. Like, give me Batman and Robin a million times before I watch Thor again. B&R isn't good, but it sure is fascinating.

I think after the first 340,000 views watching Thor instead might start sounding ok.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

computer parts posted:

Same, except "Why don't we ever see Batman pooping?"

An age-old source of fascination.

quote:

Kramer: Sorry I couldn’t get out of there, what did I miss?

Darren: Well, after ordering, Mr. Seinfeld and Mr. Costanza debated on whether or not Iron Man wore some sort under garment between his skin and his iron suit…

Kramer: Uh huh…

George: (Interrupts) And I still say he’s naked under there!

Jerry: Oh that makes a lot of sense.

George: Oh, shut up!

Seems George might be correct sometimes...

quote:

Tony Stark: You know, the question I get asked most often is, "Tony, how do you go to the bathroom in the suit?"

[pauses with eyes closed]

Tony Stark: Just like that.

Maybe we'll learn more in the BvS Director's Cut.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

Are people really saying, if it was their choice for this film, should we write and shoot some dialogue that shows Superman definitely wants to and tries to avoid another big fight with a Kryptonian in a populated area, their answer would be, no just get to the fighting? I'm genuinely surprised.

*DD is born**
SUPERMAN: whoa what the heck?
DD: uuuuuuuuuurghraaaaah!!
SUPERMAN: zod, we shouldn't fight! think of the humans! *repeat some lines from MoS here*
DD: bloooooooorgh *zaps electricity*
SUPERMAN: That's not true. Cosmetic surgery is wonderful nowadays and the hiring policies at the DMV are really lax, I'm sure you could-
DD: haaaaaaaaaaangh
SUPERMAN: Well, *looks at camera* I TRIED TO REASON WITH YOU, but now we can fight

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Meanwhile, Man of Steel Superman says gently caress DRONES and punches them out of the sky, even if they're from his friends in the US Military.

Well, only if they're the single drone watching him. The rest are acceptable.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yellow Jacket wants to 9/11 a child's bedroom

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Look I'm sorry you're too dense to actually understand what I wrote. Try reading it a few more times and use a dictionary if you run into any tough words.

Fortunately you had enough foresight to use phrases like "superficial or skin deep" so people have two chances to understand what you meant when one synonym would've been enough for a lesser mind.

Bollywood just released a movie about what it truly means to be a fan of something. More evidence that India continually gets right what Hollywood gets wrong.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3495026/

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

the GBS thread doesn't pretend I have a philosophical duty to watch them masturbate.

Pirate Jet posted:

Then maybe you should go there and continue masturbating with them instead.

Pirate Jet posted:

you continue jerking each other off about how much you hated it

I think people are actually just typing on their keyboards...

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Thought crimes? Please don't start talking about Trump in here.

Too late:

quote:

Trump is the purest expression of this tendency toward debasement of our public life. What does he do in order to “steal the show” at public debates and in interviews? He offers a mixture of “politically incorrect” vulgarities: racist stabs (against Mexican immigrants), suspicions on Obama’s birthplace and university diploma, bad-taste attacks on women and offenses to war heroes like John McCain.

Such tasteless quips are meant to indicate that Trump doesn’t care about false manners and “says openly what he (and many ordinary people) think.” In short, he makes it clear that, in spite of his billions, he is an ordinary vulgar guy like all of us common people.

However, these vulgarities should not deceive us: Whatever Trump is, he is not a dangerous outsider. If anything, his program is even relatively moderate (he acknowledges many Democratic achievements, and his stance toward gay marriage is ambiguous). The function of his “refreshing” provocations and vulgar outbursts is precisely to mask the ordinariness of his program.
-Zizek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

I wonder how much PTSD Superman/Clark has as a result of having to kill someone who tried to beat the poo poo out of him, and then being in the midst of, and watching, an entire room of people being vaporized in an explosion. Maybe he's thinking he'd getting too old for this poo poo.

Maybe he's just thinking "poo poo, did I leave my oven on this morning?"

Kryptonians don't get stressed... they get even.

• Locked thread