Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ever since the finale I've been binging on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Gotta get my oh-god-this-is-horrible-I-can't-watch-this comedy fix and so far it's the only thing that satisfies that urge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'd suggest It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for that too. It's very different to Peep Show but satisfies that urge to watch horrible people being horrible in hilarious ways.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

also, Alan partridge

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh

sinking belle posted:

Ever since the finale I've been binging on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Gotta get my oh-god-this-is-horrible-I-can't-watch-this comedy fix and so far it's the only thing that satisfies that urge.

Try Nathan For You if you haven't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Turkey posted:

Love 1-7, 8-9 not so much.

8 was waek but 9 was probably the best as far as consistency goes IMO

and in those middle seasons there are some very forgettable and average episodes

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Marf Revus posted:

Try Nathan For You if you haven't
And Review. Which is an unknown gem.

I just rewatched the Christmas episode because it is Christmas. Wow! Such a strong ep. Although like many of us I've seen every episode of Peep Show a thousand times - it still holds up on rewatches. I think its because of the little lines you miss/forget. New Years Eve, the s7 finale is so strong imho. I see it as the end of the golden age of Peep Show and they totally could have ended it there. With the el dude brothers splitting up and moving on.

Speaking of rewatches, I think I haven't seen s2 in a long while. Going to do that rewatch next. Shout out to Capaldi!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sinking belle posted:

I've compared Peep Show to Curb several times, since the average episode of both shows involves a plot with various pieces that come together during the last minute which result in things blowing up in the main character's face. I'm only halfway through the second season but it feels so familiar from episode to episode that it feels like I'm revisiting it.

Lampsacus posted:

And Review. Which is an unknown gem.
Calling it an "unknown gem" doesn't do much for my confidence in a third season. That's a shame, because the second season is one of the finest seasons of TV that I've watched.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 26, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I've compared Peep Show to Curb several times, since the average episode of both shows involves a plot with various pieces that come together during the last minute which result in things blowing up in the main character's face. I'm only halfway through the second season but it feels so familiar from episode to episode that it feels like I'm revisiting it.

Eh, Larry sometimes gets the better of people (for example, one of my all-time fav Curb endings), which IMO makes for more interesting watching. It doesn't happen that often, but enough that it creates tension because you don't automatically know he's going to get screwed over.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Whorelord posted:

also, Alan partridge

Alan Partridge pretty much invented this, yeah.

It's gotten even better in recent years, as Steve is now actually at the age Alan would probably be. The early stuff just feels weird because you have a fairly young guy playing an incredibly awkward middle-aged Little Englander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AtQLkpTGsA

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Series 1 I'm Alan Partridge is stone cold five star 10 on 10 TV though. Lovely stuff.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I must have seen IAP enough times to have it memorized, and it still breaks me the gently caress up.

The speech after piercing his foot on a spike is still one of the greatest comedy moments of all time.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just the way he says 'Lynn I've pierced my foot on a spiiiiiike' is amazing. Another favourite S2 moment is 'you can't!', 'well there's no need for that!'

I'll also never be able to see someone turn around in a petrol station forecourt without doing the Rod Stewart quote.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I must have seen IAP enough times to have it memorized, and it still breaks me the gently caress up.

The speech after piercing his foot on a spike is still one of the greatest comedy moments of all time.
"The first award tonight is for best Christ..." is still one that kills me. There's a new series of Mid Morning Matters coming in a few months' time and they're writing a sequel to Alpha Papa which was funny as hell, so that's nice.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yessssss! I didn't know there was going to be more after Alpha Papa. Great news.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
To go on a slight Alan Partridge chat tangent, I recently uploaded Derek Acorah reading his autobiography to Youtube, and it is almost as (unintentionally) funny as the Partridge biography.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWWCJ1YIi_M

If you only listen to one bit listen to the first few minutes of section 5 where he fails to warn a woman about her suicidal husband who will also kill their 3 children. Apparently that's not the done thing when you go and see a psychic, to find out your future, and then makes out like he was the injured party because he spouted off a load of gobbledegook about spirits instead and she didn't UNDERSTAND WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO GET AT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlWsYX3hcv0
It's amazing in the worst way possible and also hilarious for all the Partridge-esque details about what service station they broke down in, and references to his ex-wife that are less than flattering. He's on the defensive about spiritualism the entire time and it's full of 'but I was RIGHT!!!!!!!' type moments.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
What is it that people hate so much about series 8? The last episode is a bit stupid but beyond that it has the paintballing episode, if nothing else.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taear posted:

it has the paintballing episode, if and nothing else.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It reiterates. Like the last book of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Taear posted:

What is it that people hate so much about series 8? The last episode is a bit stupid but beyond that it has the paintballing episode, if nothing else.

it's just not as funny. jez's lifecoaching thing was funny in concept but less so in execution, and otherwise it's just another season of mark's frustrated ambitions and him trying to get closer to dobby than she wants to be. they gradually let on that sophie is just as hosed up as mark which is a nice reveal and explains part of why sophie can recognize mark for who he is but have a motivation to attach herself to him anyway, but dobby's a pretty stable person if not an oddball. she'd never choose mark so it was really just waiting for the season finale to see how she would dump him

peep show is really a show about mark's attempts to find true everlasting peace and happiness in someone's vagina and failing, which isn't a concept good enough to sustain a show forever

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This show is weird to me really because I find none of the seasons consistently funny as such but all of them have insanely funny moments. It's a hit/miss show but there's at least one moment in every episode, usually more, that is hilariously funny to me. I think that's why I haven't found any of the seasons to be worse than the others. All of them have memorable and funny moments but none of them hold up as seasons.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Series 9 did a better job with Jeremy's life coaching scheme than Series 8. I wouldn't say 8 is bad, because Peep Show is (IMO) varying degrees of good, but it's not at the top of its game.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Whose the better person, Mark or Jez?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'd say Jez is the least worst, although there's not much in it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When Jez does horrible things it's usually from a point of child like ignorance. He knows what he's doing is wrong, but doesn't really understand the severity or the consequences.

Mark will take the time to think through why something is wrong and bad and then decide he still wants to do it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
100% Mark for all the reasons listed above. Sophie I feel is easily the worst of them all.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

100% Mark for all the reasons listed above. Sophie I feel is easily the worst of them all.

It's been a while since I watched the show, why Sophie? She got jilted by Mark a few times over the course of the show , the biggest one being the wedding.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Sophie has certainly done her fair share of bad things over the course of the show but she's nowhere near approaching Mark's level of terrible. Mostly she's just an alcoholic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always thought the dislike of Sophie was waaaaaay exaggerated. At the very least she's a perfectly normal person in the first season or two, and at worst she's an alcoholic and not a great mother.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I feel like the people who say Sophie is the worst of the bunch are forgetting that this is a show where someone killed and ate a woman's dog and still tried to get with them.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

LolitaSama posted:

Whose the better person, Mark or Jez?

super hans

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

LolitaSama posted:

It's been a while since I watched the show, why Sophie? She got jilted by Mark a few times over the course of the show , the biggest one being the wedding.

I feel like purposefully setting yourself up to get pregnant by a guy you hate and then abandon said child to go out drinking is a pretty terrible thing to do. That being said Jeremy killing Mummy on accident and then eating BBQ dog was pretty terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
True, but I think at the end of the day Mark and Jez have probably each ruined far more lives than Sophie, and Mark has much more darkness in his heart.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jez is unlikable because he's a lazy mooch with no aim in life. Mark is unlikable because he's a pompous jackass and thinks he's smarter and better than he actually is. So in terms of who's "better" I'll say it's Jez.

Sophie strikes me as more of a tragic character than an unlikable one. After getting jilted by Mark, her life fell apart to the point where she's completely sloshed at a children's play place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jez, because many of Mark's bad moments are because of something Jez did in the first place.

Mark would be a neo-colonial overlord in the subcontinent if Jez hadn't eaten that dog!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Y-Hat posted:

Sophie strikes me as more of a tragic character than an unlikable one. After getting jilted by Mark, her life fell apart to the point where she's completely sloshed at a children's play place.

sophie's life has never really been all that together, the first couple seasons played her straight for plotting/i guess mark saw her as this perfect woman, but by season 3 she was starting to fall into bad habits and substance abuse. marrying mark is more of a symptom than a cause

Steve2911 posted:

I always thought the dislike of Sophie was waaaaaay exaggerated. At the very least she's a perfectly normal person in the first season or two, and at worst she's an alcoholic and not a great mother.

yeah. we've never really seen sophie being an actively terrible person, she never assaults anyone. her worst failings are pretty pedestrian, there's lots of people out there who are addicts and bad parents. mark actively tries to sabotage people's lives

super hans is the same way, he's a petty criminal, polyaddict, rapist but at the end of the day he's got more inherent morality than mark

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

was that...the bad thing?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

well he arguably raped jez, but then jez raped him right back so we can call it even

he totally raped sophie's brother though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

sophie's life has never really been all that together, the first couple seasons played her straight for plotting/i guess mark saw her as this perfect woman, but by season 3 she was starting to fall into bad habits and substance abuse. marrying mark is more of a symptom than a cause

We don't really have enough information on Sophie to say what she's truly like. Mark idolises her in the first two series but she stays with him when she shouldn't, stays with Jeff when he's absolutely awful and is generally kinda self destructive.

That said I'd say Jez is the worst because like Sash! says most of the horrible poo poo Mark does comes from Jez starting the ball rolling. The only truly bad thing I can think that mark did without jez's influence was reading Sophie's emails.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Popular Thug Drink posted:

well he arguably raped jez, but then jez raped him right back so we can call it even

he totally raped sophie's brother though

What? When did they rape each other? The only person who got raped was mark afaik by Jez's step-sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hottubrhymemachine posted:

What? When did they rape each other?

the bad thing - both were too intoxicated to consent and neither really wanted to do it but i guess both of them wanted oral sex and there's only one way to get it, so

only a minor rape, really. legally a rape. but a little rape. i mean, it would be considered rape in a courtroom, but we're not in a courtroom, are we?

soliciting oral sex from extremely high people seems to be super hans' thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsuPaZ7RxLo

• Locked thread