Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Peep Show is a fantastic show that’s on Channel 4. The complete series is currently on Netflix which is how I got introduced to the show. The show focuses on the day to day life of Mark and Jeremy (Jez) two flat mates living in Croydon South London. One of the most striking features of the show is the way it's filmed. It's filmed from a constantly changing first person perspective. For example when Mark and Jeremy are talking to each other the camera is from Marks perspective when Jeremy is talking and vice versa

Mark Corrigan

Mark is a loan manager who is honestly a pretty lovely human. He’s a pretty typical goon, he’s socially awkward, bad at sex and his idea of pursuing a woman is to stalk her. Mark went to Dartmouth University where he met Jeremy. They were roommates and beyond all odds became friends. Together they are called the “El Dude Brothers”. Mark owns his flat but allowed Jeremy to move in after he and his girlfriend Big Suze broke up

Jeremy Usborne

Jeremy is a “musician” and free loader who lives with Mark. His idea of a good time is doing drugs and banging every woman he possibly can. He also went to Dartmouth University where he was roommates with Mark. He somehow graduated with a degree in Nursing but hates the job once he does it. One of the best aspects of Jeremy is his fluid sexuality that he constantly denies. One of my favorite quotes is “4 guys? I’ve had sex with more than 4 guys and I’m basically straight.”

Super Hans

Super Hans is by far one of the best characters in the show. Super Hans is Jeremys best friend. He is constantly on drugs and always changing the name of him and Jeremys band. Super Hans is my favorite character and he will be your favorite character

Other Supporting Characters:

Alan Johnson – Marks boss at JLB (the loan company Mark works for)

Sophie Chapman – The object of Marks misguided affection

Jeff Heaney – Marks co-worker, always an rear end in a top hat to him

Big Suze – Jeremys ex-girlfriend. Mentioned a lot in the first 3 seasons, doesn’t actually show up until season 3

Seasons 1 – 8 are already on Netflix and are well worth the watch. Each episode runs about 25 minutes and there are only 6 episodes per season so it’s a very fast watch. Season 9 (final season) starts on November 11th. This thread will be in honor of the final season of Peep Show, please post your favorite quotes (of which there are many), favorite episodes and favorite minor characters (GERARD!) that appear throughout the show.

EDIT: And of course I was so excited to make this thread I forgot the loving tag

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is sick/one of the best British sitcoms of all time although it definitely falls off after season 5 or so. It always confused me that so many Americans got into Mitchell and Webb look and not as many got into this.

Hope the final season is good. They've spent so long on it that I'll be disappointed if it's as meh as the last couple.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you have been even remotely like the goon/reddit/4chan/"nice guy"/beta male type at any point in your life watching this show is like a painful, hilarious exorcism.

It definitely falls off after Season 5 or so.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I love this show, but yeah, I thought it peaked around the wedding, and the direct aftermath was good, but then the show didn't know quite what do with itself afterward.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Thread should be called "The Swan & Paedo".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Flatscan posted:

Thread should be called "The Swan & Paedo".

I thought about that, but I was watching the stag party episode as I was writing out the OP and that scene came on

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I live by the Big Beat Manifesto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpRZSPNZY7w

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I remember listening to The Orgazoid in like 1998

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Does anyone know if there's a US channel that will air in line with the UK? Or do I have to wait for Nexflix?

This show is the best. I mean, behind That Mitchell and Webb Look.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

If you have been even remotely like the goon/reddit/4chan/"nice guy"/beta male type at any point in your life watching this show is like a painful, hilarious exorcism.

It definitely falls off after Season 5 or so.

I have a friend who is basically Jez and he once said to me "we're only missing a Super Hans and that show would just be our lives."

It was deeply troubling.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Also watch a few episodes, or at least until it goes off the rails.
It starts off as just a comedy about painfully awkward people but very quickly starts spiraling into people more broken than the 'It's Always Sunny' gang.

I wanted to post "You guys are exaggerating, isn't the gag from the thread title in one of the last seasons?" but no it was season 4.
I think 8 was a bit 'meh' but 6-7 had some great episodes, like when Mark and Gerrard form the Dobby club.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really feel since I'm eating turkey, you should eat some turkey.

e: excited for the show to come back for one more season. I've been checking every couple months since the last one ended but the announcement that the show was coming back next week was a pleasant surprise.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 8, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ohhhhh I JUST remembered where the thread title is from.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think pretty much the entire show is great all the way through, although season 8 was a noticeable dip in quality to me. I remember liking the paintball episode quite a bit, but the season finale kind of ended on a wet fart. Still very much looking forward to this last season, and I'm looking forward to rewatching it all (again) once it's finished.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
"I'm doing excellent shopping".

Me, in the supermarket, every time, even after fifteen years.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

This Is Outrageous still pops into my head now and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJf7G08kMfA

Soooooooooo fuuuuutile

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Also watch a few episodes, or at least until it goes off the rails.
It starts off as just a comedy about painfully awkward people but very quickly starts spiraling into people more broken than the 'It's Always Sunny' gang.

It's interesting going back to older episodes and realizing that while I used to root for the characters, I'm now hoping that the final season ends with them dead as the only fitting resolution to all the poo poo they've done.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"If I don't pay it's ok" is the only motto anyone will ever need.

Been rewatching this is preparation for the last ones. I do remember series 7 and 8 being pretty underwhelming on first viewing, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up next to the rest of the series in a binge watch.

I originally watched most of the show when I was 16 or so, so I'm both picking up on a hell of a lot more and finding everything a lot more depressingly relatable now. gently caress all these people and their lives.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 8, 2015

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Holy loving poo poo, I didn't even know the final season started so soon. Good job, thread. This is the funniest/best sitcom of all time

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Wedding episode (the last of series 4) is the single greatest sitcom episode of all time. No human being can make it through the whole thing without cringing themselves inside out.

That said, probably my favourite TV show ever.

The only way it can end is badly. People seem to want a happy ending for them, but Mark and Jez don't deserve a happy ending.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I very much doubt there'll be a definitive "ending", good or bad.

They'll probably end up exactly where they started. Which in itself is sad enough.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I very much doubt there'll be a definitive "ending", good or bad.

They'll probably end up exactly where they started. Which in itself is sad enough.

That's probably the worst end, really. Which means it's the most likely. That they've gone nearly a decade, and haven't changed at all.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
In addition to Peep Show I'm open to a general "Mitchell & Webb" appreciation station thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChzIsepmdk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOlaKZqGkWU

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 8, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is my Spirit Animal.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

One of the best aspects of Jeremy is his fluid sexuality that he constantly denies. One of my favorite quotes is “4 guys? I’ve had sex with more than 4 guys and I’m basically straight.”
Though I disagree with his supposed denial. When once does he?

This show is a national treasure but isn't for everyone. It is also infinitely quotable 'I didn't go to university to get a degree, Mark!'

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...Are we the baddies?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm so eager to find out if we're getting a Pej reference in this series.

In fact, that's how I want the series to end. Doorbell goes, someone comes in, Jez just says "Hi, Pej", and then cut to black.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

This is a good idea. This is a great idea!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I don't really have anything to add here aside from my 2 year old avatar.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sash! posted:

I have a friend who is basically Jez and he once said to me "we're only missing a Super Hans and that show would just be our lives."

It was deeply troubling.

"We're the Peep Show group and you're the Mark" is really one of the worst things you can say to someone. Worse than "we're the Always Sunny gang and you're the Dennis".

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

One of my favourite things about Peep Show is how, on the outside, it seems like the usual "odd couple" kind of show - Mark is the straight-laced, boring guy, wheras Jez is his wacky friend. But when you actually watch the show, you realise that Jez is a generally well-meaning, if not dim and selfish person but Mark the one who is completely loving insane.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lycus posted:

"We're the Peep Show group and you're the Mark" is really one of the worst things you can say to someone. Worse than "we're the Always Sunny gang and you're the Dennis".
I had a flat mate once who looked and acted almost exactly like Mark. It was super surreal. My oldest friend and I have debates on which Peep Show characters we are. I think a beauty of the show is how starkly frank is it about 20something/30something single life for it's demographic. I definitely see bits of Jez and Mark in me and my friends and I'm sure most fans of the show do too. Just going to a house party and saying 'yeah cool'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lycus posted:

Well the good thing is there's very, very few people you could want to be in the Peep Show group. Even the characters who you think are nice or stable on first inspection are actually complete train wrecks. At least Mark is consistent in just being poo poo at life.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

I can't watch the first series anymore because Marks attempts to woo Sophie make me curl up into a ball from embarrassment and roll away from the telly. It'll be sad to see it end as I've pretty much grown up with the show. Hopefully Johnson goes out with style. This is bollocks mark!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I think I'm incapable of hearing the word 'taboo' without saying "I hate taboos....I break them."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"All cocks are jizzcocks" is a fundamental truth we should all remember.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Lycus posted:

one of the worst things you can say to someone. Worse than "we're the Always Sunny gang and you're the Dennis".

Uh, I don't see how it would be a bad thing if someone referred to me as a golden god

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sash! posted:

"All cocks are jizzcocks" is a fundamental truth we should all remember.

You could've had my legs off, you... piss kidney.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I am James Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Uh, I don't see how it would be a bad thing if someone referred to me as a golden god

Rare post/av/mod tag combo.

I was always most impressed at how well they showed Sophie's life peripherally. Also Big Suze makes me angry and I hate that I know why.

• Locked thread