Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"If I don't pay it's ok" is the only motto anyone will ever need.

Been rewatching this is preparation for the last ones. I do remember series 7 and 8 being pretty underwhelming on first viewing, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up next to the rest of the series in a binge watch.

I originally watched most of the show when I was 16 or so, so I'm both picking up on a hell of a lot more and finding everything a lot more depressingly relatable now. gently caress all these people and their lives.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I very much doubt there'll be a definitive "ending", good or bad.

They'll probably end up exactly where they started. Which in itself is sad enough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bango skank posted:

I didn't notice until my second run through the series that Mark eventually does run away and get a whole bucket of KFC(on his way to the arcade while Sophie is giving birth.)

So I guess he's joining Al-Qaeda for the finale?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rewatching series 8 (which is actually a lot better than I remember), why did Dobby moving in require Jez to immediately move out? Could Mark not have bought a double bed?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khablam posted:

e: to quantity why
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hola_(VPN)#Criticism

There's a persistent risk of some pretty bad poo poo happening to you if you use it, much in the same way as running a tor exit node.

gently caress...

But... US Netflix. :(

Anyway really liked the opener overall. Mark and Jez plotting together almost consistently throughout was a bit odd, and Jez's 'sorry in funny voices' routine was the least funny thing I've ever seen, but otherwise good stuff!

EDIT: And the repeated Candy Crush bit wasn't nearly disparaging enough to not have been a paid promo. gently caress that.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 18, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After Dobby's reaction to Jez's speech, here's how the next few episodes will play out:

- Dobby will dump the American for beating up Mark.
- She'll assume that her and Mark are back on because she's realised that she actually loves him.
- Mark will be too embarrassed to say anything.
- Something terrible will happen or Mark will spend the rest of his life pretending to enjoy a loveless relationship.

Or maybe Jez and Mark will end up together I don't know. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One Swell Foop posted:

I for one was surprised to find that Fakenham is indeed a town in Norwich and not a fake name like Madeupton or Manford Thirtysixborough

Fakenham is miles from Norwich. :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

...no, even the Mob didn't go after the families.

That reminds me of this Mitchell rant. I'll never forgive him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIorjslBgJk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Great episode. Some proper classic farce comedy there.

Mark should have just ordered a takeaway and said the oven's hosed, but I don't watch this show for sensible solutions to problems.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mark turning around and thinking 'last blink of the evening! Enjoy it' was just the best.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Ombudsman aren't civil servants Mark. You dick.

It's a shame this series didn't start one or two weeks later. Having the whole series end in December and not finishing on a Christmas or new years episode is a shame. I know season 7 did it already but proper good Christmas telly is hard to come by these days.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The season 7 Christmas episode got more than enough mileage out of the idea.

Hans, pour my mother a massive drink. Jeremy, turn on Ratatouille. Sarah, crack open the Pictionary. Merry ChrisMark, everyone.

True that. It also has arguably one of my favourite Mark/Jez exchanges in the whole series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ38jTQcO1k

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As far as penultimate episodes ever go that was a bit poo poo.

Also how did they put Mark into an endgame 'which old love will he choose' story without bringing Dobby back? They set that up massively but did nothing with it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Y-Hat posted:

And while this has nothing to do with her character, she's someone you can point to when people want an example of ugly actors/actresses on British TV.

Wow gently caress this hard. She looks like a normal person. Almost like an actual human being.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MoPZiG posted:

Remind me: wasnt there a possibility that Ian is in fact Jez's kid?

Yeah but they did a paternity test and he's Marks.

Unless she lied.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lot 49 posted:

Thinking about the end of this show is :(

What are people's all time favourite episodes? My top 3 is probably Mark's wedding, the one where Jez and Superhands are given a pub and the one where Jez locks Mark in his room to have a magic mushroom party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peep_Show_episodes

Series 3 and 4 was it's prime for me, virtually every episode is a winner.

The one where Mark befriends a neo-Nazi, the visit to Sophie's parents (mostly for the happy birthday bit, which is wonderful in every way) and the Christmas episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Disgusting Coward posted:

The way Valerie says "gently caress your shoes!" in the third episode never fails to crack me up and as such it is the best episode.

God yes. I sort of wish she was a semi-recurring character.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They both do other stuff. David Mitchell hosted HIGNFY today and recently resumed writing Guardian articles.

He also sometimes pretends to like Lee Mack. No one likes Lee Mack.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm moving house again and it's still my dream that I somehow find my copy of the US pilot so I can share it with the world. It's naturally on an unmarked disc and is the worst thing ever.

E: search called off! Someone has finally done the 'decent' thing and put it on YouTube as of a month ago (I periodically search for it but never found a copy other than the one I had). Don't think it's as good a copy as mine was, but given I couldn't even get through 5 minutes on both attempts that doesn't matter. Witness the horror of Big Bang Peep Show.

http://youtu.be/8Yredc3ayOE

I love that it doesn't even attempt to use the central conceit that the show itself is named after.

Also how in the gently caress does something made post-2000 end up in that state? It looks like it was made in the early 90s and a VHS copy was filmed with a VHS camera.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

I actually liked him way more on the re-watch. Once you realise that Mark is a creepy oval office, Jeff's dislike of him becomes increasingly reasonable.

Jeff is right to dislike Mark, but he's the sort of person that I can't stand. There's something about him.

In the party episode, the massive poo poo in the toilet didn't phase me, but when it's revealed that Jeff did it I almost retched. Something about his shits are particularly disgusting. There's a lot of people like that. Jay's dad in The Inbetweeners is the same, especially when he shits.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah any one of the series could have been the last one. 8 ended with Dobby leaving forever and Mark and Jez hating each other. That's a perfectly fine way to end it.

Actually series 7 wouldn't really have worked because it's a somewhat happy ending for Mark.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When Jez does horrible things it's usually from a point of child like ignorance. He knows what he's doing is wrong, but doesn't really understand the severity or the consequences.

Mark will take the time to think through why something is wrong and bad and then decide he still wants to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always thought the dislike of Sophie was waaaaaay exaggerated. At the very least she's a perfectly normal person in the first season or two, and at worst she's an alcoholic and not a great mother.

• Locked thread