Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My egg nog was delicious after just a week. Ended up serving ~2/3 of what the recipe called for with about 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup half n half.

I'm looking to make some more for christmas, anybody have any tested recipes for flavored egg nogs? I see a couple people said they added vanilla, what about chocolate or even some citrus flavors? Orange creamsicle egg nog maybe?

I see martha has a recipe but it's pretty weak on the alcohol. http://www.marthastewart.com/316180/spiced-chocolate-eggnog

Also RE Eggwhites.. just use them for breakfast? cook w/ chorizo for a meal or with cheese and an english muffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Since nobody told me otherwise, have a coquito recipe!

What is Coquito?

Coquito (or Ponche depending) is the Caribbean version of eggnog, containing rum, spices, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, coconut cream, coconut milk, and egg yolk.

It can be cooked or uncooked in which case just add some extra booze. While a number of recipes I've seen for it say "consume within three days" I've had batches that were a month old that still tasted just fine. Sometimes the coconut cream falls out of suspension if it's been left sitting, in which case I would personally just shake it up.

Not being Puerto Rican, I don't have a secret recipe from a wizened abuelita. I've just cobbled this one together over the years from existing recipes and give lots of samples out with a mind towards getting suggestions to improve it. I usually make 2-3 batches each holiday season because there's a lot of demand from friends, family, and co-workers.

Caveat: I am by no means not posing this as the "one true coquito" - this is a rough guideline for you to tweak around as you desire. This will make a couple liters of pretty decent although basic coquito, a bit more on the custardy side. If you prefer it thinner, shame on you (or add more evaporated milk).

In years past I've messed with the recipe a bit - adding toasted coconut to steep in the the rum for example, or I made a small batch last year with coffee concentrate and Blis maple syrup.

The Recipe

You will need the following:

1.5 cups water
3-4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp powdered clove

Coconut cream (Coco Lopez is the gold standard according to everyone I've asked. I personally think it's too sweet so I buy the 22 oz squeeze bottles of Coco Real coconut cream. I used one and a half 22 oz bottles.)
3x 13.5 oz cans of coconut milk
3 14 oz cans of Sweetened condensed milk
3x 12 oz cans of Evaporated milk
8 Egg yolks
4c Rum (I usually use half gold rum and half spiced rum)
3x split and scraped

Step 1: Bring water, clove, and cinnamon sticks to a boil and simmer until there is ~1 cup of liquid left. Discard cinnamon and put water aside to cool.

Step 2: Use stick blender to mix evaporated milk, egg yolk, and spiced water.

Step 3: Add everything else and blend until uniform

Step 4: Bottle and stick in fridge for at least overnight. I've tried putting individual cinnamon sticks in each bottle in the past but haven't noticed much difference.

Serve chilled with a grating of nutmeg on top.

Slore Tactician fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 19, 2015

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Horn posted:

Made a double batch of ab's nog and plan on giving away a few bottles this season.

My question is what the heck do I do with 24 egg whites? I've made a few meringues but I still have a ton left.

It's impossible. I threw away all 6 dozen egg whites this year because my freezer is still full of bags of egg white from last year that i never touched. Maybe find some health nut on craigslist/ at the gym who eats a lot of egg white omelets

Also, on a related note, the safe eggs pasteurized eggs' whites do whip up like regular eggwhites, but they take a while. Just when you're ready to call it quits and throw them out they'll remember how to egg and start behaving

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Make dozens of Ramos fizzes. That's what I am planning to do. Well, one dozen.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Horn posted:

Made a double batch of ab's nog and plan on giving away a few bottles this season.

My question is what the heck do I do with 24 egg whites? I've made a few meringues but I still have a ton left.

I only did one bath of eggnog, so I only had the 12 egg whites, and I basically googled up Angel food cake and found this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/angel-food-cake-recipe.html

It asked for exactly 12 egg whites and for ingredients I had laying around. It was extremely easy to make and a complete success with everyone. I could not recommend it more, so maybe make two of those? =)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Try your hand at making macarons

Make egg white delight muffins

Make a bunch of egg white cocktails like a white lady or white spider

Then throw the rest away because you're never going to get through them

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Just make some meringues. Put them in jar. Munch on them from time to time. They keep forever. fxcuisines writeup is foolproof.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone done rye for the whiskey rather than bourbon? I'm thinking I probably don't want to use Evan Williams when also using Coruba and Remy Martin, which leaves me with Rittenhouse or Eagle Rare, unless I buy a new bottle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I buy old overholt by the handle, so that's what goes into my eggnog. And my coffee and my old fashioned etc etc etc.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Excuse my nog naivety but I whipped up a batch today using the recipe in the op, had a quick taste and it mostly tasted of booze I presume as it ages the boozy flavour will reduce????!?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gaz2k21 posted:

Excuse my nog naivety but I whipped up a batch today using the recipe in the op, had a quick taste and it mostly tasted of booze I presume as it ages the boozy flavour will reduce????!?

Eh.. This is a whiskey man's drink.
It will smooth a bit when it ages a month or so, but in the end its boozy. To tone it, I do like 1:2 Half/Half:nog. If you check the recipe, it suggests to also fold in some whipped egg whites at serving time, which I've never done.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone aged Alton Brown's recipe? Doing the math, it seems like it comes out to roughly 9% ABV (~102 ounces, 24 of them booze at 40%). I'm worried that won't be enough to prevent it from spoiling. I know people have done the one in the OP, but that's got significantly more alcohol in it.

Trip report: I nogged, and I will nog again. I managed to spill a bunch of it transferring it from the bowl into a jug, but I now have 2250 ml of nog in the fridge. The little bit I tasted was delicious. Coruba, Eagle Rare, Rittenhouse, and Remy Martin VS. Only had a half cup of rum so I filled it in with rye. Next time I will probably knock it down to Buffalo Trace and maybe some Raynal or something. It is already really smooth, even with the 90 and 100 proof liquor.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 2, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I finally tried my nog now that it's like 1.5 months or so old. What did I do wrong or did I do it right? I followed the recipe in the op (not AB's) to the letter. It's still really much boozier than I expected and not nearly as thick as expected. Isn't it supposed to thicken like a custard just a bit? I cut it with 1:1 half and half. I'm not really a bourbon or cognac drinker so maybe it's just me?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Croatoan posted:

So I finally tried my nog now that it's like 1.5 months or so old. What did I do wrong or did I do it right? I followed the recipe in the op (not AB's) to the letter. It's still really much boozier than I expected and not nearly as thick as expected. Isn't it supposed to thicken like a custard just a bit? I cut it with 1:1 half and half. I'm not really a bourbon or cognac drinker so maybe it's just me?

Its a whiskey drink.
You might want to try and serve it with the whipped egg whites that's mentioned. The consistency is different than store bought, thinner. Also you may want to do 2:1.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

deong posted:

Its a whiskey drink.
You might want to try and serve it with the whipped egg whites that's mentioned. The consistency is different than store bought, thinner. Also you may want to do 2:1.

I prefer it with whipped egg whites but do appreciate it being a pretty bracing cup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

Nope that's just how it is, it's super boozy and thinner than what you're used to. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm going to experiment with warming it up sous vide to see if I can get it to thicken/custardize some more like yellow grocery nog.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 7, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Make a cake and then with the extra egg white you can make Italian meringue buttercream. It's so silky smooth and tasty, not overly sweet like American buttercream.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you dont want watery eggnog, use the recipe with heavy cream :rolleye:

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Just made a half batch of OP's recipe with Jim Beam, Camus cognac and Captain Morgan Black Spice rum. It tasted amazing, especially after adding the rum, I really want to make a second half batch with the cognac/rum ratios switched.

One question - how heavy is heavy cream exactly? 38 % fat cream is the only cream available where I live, do I need to boil it down or something or is it OK?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
In the US, heavy cream is 36% and above, so you're good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Where could I find a gallon glass jug? I remember this thread from last year, this year I actually have time to prepare this because your pictures for it just look amazing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bought a gallon Rubbermaid thing. Seems more my speed since it'll exist in my fridge for over a year and I have kids. Glass container would eventually end in tears and mopping.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I did 2 booze bottles and a milk jug. One of the Promised Land ones with a screw on cap.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
I've posted a pic of my two glass jars. I got mine at the grocery store, in the section where they have kitchen supplies. Look for a place where they sell big glass and plastic food containers for flour, cereal, pasta, etc.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Home brew supply shops. Or get a couple half-gallon growlers at your local bar and have fun draining them before use.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Where could I find a gallon glass jug? I remember this thread from last year, this year I actually have time to prepare this because your pictures for it just look amazing.

Bigger than a gallon but if you have a costo membership they sell giant jars of pickles for 5 dollars. Pawn the pickles off on suckers and you have yourself a great jar for pretty cheap.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
There was this episode if jackass one time where they were having an eggnog drinking competition and a guy shot a snot rocket in the thing of eggnog when no one was looking and they all drank it grosssss!!! Hahaha :roflolmao:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Get cancer, die screaming

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've just been storing my 'nog in some used orange juice containers... look just like this. I've transferred to a 1 quart ball jar to take to parties, though as it seems more home made.
http://media.fooducate.com/products/images/180x180/50FD6A9F-15AE-0D49-4499-9BD8B1E67A3F.jpeg

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So far everything has turned out good. I followed the joy of cooking recipe and came out with 6 1/2 quart mason jars. I've gotten it down to 5 quarts as some foam has gone away? I was able to condense some bottles and fill the other ones up more.

Really looking forward to tasting it, I saw the thread too late last year to make it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 16, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I saw this thread way too late :smith:
I've never had eggnog before, and would love to try it. Is there any (obviously probably sub-par, but hopefully still drinkable) recipe that doesn't require aging?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You can drink any in the OP without aging them. I drank the Alton Brown recipe one without aging and it was fine. Boozier than it probably will be a month down the line, but fine. Maybe used pasteurized egg yolks for that, though. Not sure how long it takes soaking in booze to remove the tiny risk of salmonella.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
This is my first year noggin'. I made regular nog from Ruhlman's recipe and also the coquito recipe from the thread and both are great!

I threw together the regular nog about a month ago and have been trying some every few days. It suddenly went to a weird thing now where the alcohol it's putting off is just nuts. Like, that sort of eye-burning hardcore cleaning solvent kind of vapor as soon as you open the bottle. Anybody else see theirs go through this stage? Is it just a stage? Because it was strong, but pretty sippable before. Now it's kind of hard to get near your face.

The coquito has also been interesting. It's about 6 days old or so and is super-mellow and sweet and easy drinking and just seems to get better every day. Before, the rum definitely came through pretty strongly but now it's so mellow it's dangerous. I love it. Thanks for this recipe, will definitely make that again!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
The alton Brown recipe in the OP is great, I made a batch on 11/30 and took it to party last night and my boozer nephews loved it. It's like right on the borderline between strong and ridiculously boozy.

Before this year I used to make a large batch of this martha Stewart recipe, it's pretty much the same but slightly more heavy cream and bourbon and you fold the egg whites in at the end. That's the only thing I missed from the AB recipe was that light airy foam on top.

http://www.marthastewart.com/355404/marthas-classic-eggnog

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

nominal posted:

The coquito has also been interesting. It's about 6 days old or so and is super-mellow and sweet and easy drinking and just seems to get better every day. Before, the rum definitely came through pretty strongly but now it's so mellow it's dangerous. I love it. Thanks for this recipe, will definitely make that again!

I'm happy you like it! It definitely improves with some days on it. It also goes great in coffee.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol i dont think youre supposed to drink month old milk guys hahahah even I know that one

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Nooner posted:

lol i dont think youre supposed to drink month old milk guys hahahah even I know that one

Woooooahahahahah epic FYAD invasion! You sure showed those people doing a thing they want to. You're the coolest guy on SA today. You definitely are very good at not caring about posting!

Anyway, if you don't want to age anything just make the cooked custard version and use a bit less booze. After the first drink it'll taste as smooth as you want.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno I am not from FYAD and I too think drinking aged milk and eggs could potentially be not good.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Woooooahahahahah epic FYAD invasion! You sure showed those people doing a thing they want to. You're the coolest guy on SA today. You definitely are very good at not caring about posting!

Anyway, if you don't want to age anything just make the cooked custard version and use a bit less booze. After the first drink it'll taste as smooth as you want.

:stare:

sounds like the thing YOU need to learn how to cook ...... is a chill pill :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I dunno I am not from FYAD and I too think drinking aged milk and eggs could potentially be not good.

What do you think Irish Cream is?

E not eggs, obviously, but milk. And odds are that pre-packaged alcoholic nog sitting out of refrigeration at the liquor store is several weeks old.

• Locked thread