Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stefu posted:

Let us all pray to Ukko that this thread does not suck as hard as the last one:

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

We wouldn't want people to choose now would we, especially if it means someone might make a profit by doing something the public sector just can't seem to do, like offer doctor's appointments without a 2 month wait.

Yeah, god forbid that triage would be based on medical need rather than the ability to pay.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It all depends on whether Kok and Kepu think that they have more to gain from making Pers splinter completely or not. Because if they force Soini to vote for the Euro that's going to be the final nail in the coffin.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Buffalo squeeze posted:

So why are we training Rapid Deployment Forces?

'cause a bunch of skapparit want to feel like hot poo poo?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Since Sipilä belongs to a big sisterfuck breeder cult, this is likely.

Maybe he got scared that an immigrant would come here and take his job?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hallintorekisteri is dead, long live Hallintorekisteri

fukken lol, is there anything left that this parody of a government hasn't managed to gently caress up on yet?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
http://yle.fi/uutiset/sdp_hengittaa_jo_keskustan_niskaan_perussuomalaisten_syoksy_syvenee/8499909

quote:

Kokoomukselle mitattiin marraskuussa 18,3 prosentin kannatus, joka on täsmälleen sama kuin lokakuussa ja lähes samoissa luvuissa kuin eduskuntavaalitulos.

Taloustutkimuksen tutkimuspäällikön Jari Pajusen mukaan kokoomuksen kannatus oli marraskuun alkuviikkoina hienoisessa nousussa, mutta tällä viikolla kokoomuksen kannatus sukelsi noin 16 prosenttiin.

Kokoomuksen puheenjohtajan, valtiovarainministeri Alexander Stubbin viime viikon torstaina eduskunnassa esittämistä osakeomistusten hallintarekisterin viranomaiskannatukseen liittyneistä vääristä tiedoista noussut kohu näyttää välittömästi horjuttaneen kokoomuksen kannatusta.

Polls are the gift that keeps on giving :unsmigghh:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Too bad for you Sipilä, Stubb and Soini are still in power for the next 3.5 years regardless of what the polls say

With those three chucklefucks in power for another 3.5 years we'll probably vote in Full Communism come the next election, so I think I can manage.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How loving petty do you have to be to press criminal charges against somebody because they threw a glass of soda at you?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

In August some jokers broke his home's windows at night. I don't like Stubb but I think he has the right to be upset about continuing physical attacks against him and his family and if he wants justice then he should be given it.

I just really hope that both parties agree to handle this through sovittelu instead of going full Matlock on each other...

Mate, throwing soda and/or a cake at someone is literally the mildest form of "physical attack" ever. It's not even in the same ballpark as throwing rocks through somebody's window at night.

Also it's still incredibly petty to press charges over someone throwing coke in your face.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Fukken lol, is GP really doing that old "you're a smelly layabout and when you grow up and get a job you'll see things my way" that rightwingers always fall back on when they have no arguments left?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look mates, everybody knows that all important decisions should be taken only when all involved are either dead tired, hungover as all gently caress or have at least one bottle of kossu in them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's extremely naive to think that any money saved by spending less on refugees would go to help regular people rather than towards financing the next round of tax cuts and sweetheart deals for the people who own Kepu and Kok.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PineappleGod posted:

Old white dudes in their late 50's and 60's are racist and sexist. Who would've thought.

On the other hand, it's kinda bad when those old white dudes hold power over the people they are racist and sexist towards.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

natseillahan oli sosialismi ihan nimessäkin, ja natsisaksa harjoitti hyvin sosialistista talouspolitiikkaa

Pohjois-Korea kutsuu itseänsä demokraattiseksi kansantasavallaksi. Makes u think.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, and why would you care that some Russian guy has collected your address, phone number and the Facebook groups you're active in for everyone to easily find? Are you ashamed of them?

I, too, think that e.g. a registry of stock ownership, the access to which is regulated by law and that is maintained for the purpose of making sure that everybody is paying their taxes (and thus somewhat important for the continued functioning of society) is on the same level as some randos datamining people's personal information for the explicit purpose of harassing people they dislike.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Right, so you'd have no problem making the information the tax authorities release every year on people's income inaccessible to the general public? What's to stop some mentally ill communist like yourself or Jerry Cotton downloading rich people's addresses to harass them?

I, too, see no difference between a registry set up in the public interest and a registry set up specifically to facilitate harassment.

But seriously though, you seem unusually salty about something nowadays. Why so frustrated?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

Personally I wouldn't let lit candles anywhere near my hair but I'm a tradition loathing hatemongrel.

Or do they use electric lamps these days? I remember 10 years ago I always looked in terror as multiple girls subjected themselves to terrible risk.

Kinda amazing how that was ok when throwing snowballs was forbidden and our experiments with bunsen burners would've been completely out of the question had we gotten caught. Still I say that the latter two were far safer than sticking a dozen or so candles to a crown and putting that crown onto your head.

Those crowns are actually surprisingly stable, and the risk of accidental tripping in minuscule due to that slow shuffle-walk they do. Barring the possibility of some teenage girl in the procession suffering a sudden heart attack on stage, the biggest risk wearing one is getting some stearine in your hair.

Ichi posted:

http://m.mtv.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/artikkeli/soini-ei-taysin-poissulje-arvonlisaveron-nostoa/5622572

So, another step towards tanking the economy even further? I don't think the PS voter base will be too happy with this.

Since Soini has single-handedly outdone even Kepu in the pettäminen department, I suppose he figures he'll go the full mile WRT loving over his own voters and see what happens.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only Finnish film in the past 30 years that's worth a drat is Leningrad Cowboys Go America. Y'all know this to be true.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

So at the moment women are tweeting about the harassment they meet everyday by using the hashtag #lääppijä https://twitter.com/search?q=%23l%C3%A4%C3%A4ppij%C3%A4&src=typd

And got to admit, that they don't paint a pretty picture of Finland, the known land of naisrauha and sexual equality.

And would you know, the old twitter superstar persu @JukkaWallin is at the case again!

https://twitter.com/JukkaWallin/status/685565561636532226

I mean what the gently caress man? Is this real life?

There's nothing that turns a far-right dude from a staunch defender of women's rights into a raging misogynist faster than a woman expressing a differing opinion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexroom posted:

Stop press, Finland is mentioned in Germany. Something about racists, I dunno. I can't read german.

Tätä Suomi-kuvaa ei rahalla saa.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
IIRC basically every criminological study ever has shown that harsher punsihment doesn't actually act as a significant deterrent to crime. Rather it's the certainty of punishment that does.

Therefore only cases where it's sensible to lock someone up is if there's good reason to suspect that they're going to be a danger to themselves and/or others in the future. From this follows that prison sentences (or involuntary commitment if someone's mentally ill) should be reserved for violent crimes in cases where the risk of reoffending is deemed to be significant, and prison time should be designed for rehabilitation rather than locking someone up for X years and expecting them to magically reform themselves.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

What can Soini and co. do? They have sold out on Greece, pakkolait, cutting from the poorest etc. And these sold outs are strange because PS is after all the second biggest party in the parliament. They have leveraging power but for some reason they don't use it.

Soini has no leverage and is completely hosed. What's he gonna do, let the government fall and get utterly slaughtered when the new elections come around?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

But let's return to PS gallup plummet. Is there anyway they could turn their dive? Latest polls also indicate that many who voted PS on immigration issue have returned to being sleeping voters. Could this mean that we are going to hear more extreme rhetoric from this issue? After all it's about only thing which PS could say that we tried so hard but those softies at kepu and kok just didn't understand.

I doubt that'd work since Soini is persut and his credibiity is shot. Any other party could switch their leader and change tack, but in this case that's not an option.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

At one point they actually tried to convince me that immigrants from Northern-Africa and Middle-East hold exactly the same views as us on subjects like gender equality and gay rights. I pointed out to a very large scale survey which proved that it can't possibly be true, after which it was dismissed as ultra-right wing nazi propaganda.

In the interest of accuracy this didn't actually happen, and you left Scandipol in a huff because people were making fun of you for unironically linking to MV-lehti and other publications of a similar caliber when asked to back up your claims.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Hooly poo poo I just took a peek and yeah I'm a bit scared now. The loudest ones seem to hold the view that muslims of the world are as progressive as westerners? Or they don't care that they aren't? This is what I was talking about a few pages back. Anti immigration shouldn't be considered a bad thing by itself but rather be judged by the effects it causes.

Accomplishments of anti-immigration in our fair country so far:

- Nazis patrolling the streets
- No actual reduction in the amoung of refugees arriving
- Soini got into government, proceeded to poo poo the bed

I suppose the last one might be a positive in the long term, but so far this ideology seems to fall solidly into the bad thing category on its own merits.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Currently it seems that pro immigration ideology is planting the seeds for future holocaust, so to speak.

Are you drunkposting or something?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

Sharp and accurate call, but even now I still stand by it. I'd say it's quite reasonable to say that the increased influx of newcomers has hardened attitudes towards them.

Or it might be that there's a minority of people who really dislike the idea of swarthy people existing in our fair land that has gotten louder about it. Or it might be that attitudes have polarized.

But even if we accept your claim for the sake of argument, I don't really see the relevance here. How does it support your earlier claim?

SnowblindFatal posted:

Those attitudes are further amplified by the culture of downplaying the problems of immigration (for example: all the crimes that haven't been investigated due to fear of being labelled as a racist). If the current trend continues, people will become so hostile towards immigrants that we will start seeing actually harsh poo poo going down.

Is there actually any evidence of some systematic aversion againt investigating crimes due to fear of being labelled as a racist in Finland, or is this another grandiose claim made by the usual suspects when confronted with the fact that the statistics don't actually show that all foreigners are criminal scum?

Besides that, the whole narrative about the inevitable victorious march of the far-right would be a bit more convincing if there still was some kind of jytky going on as opposed to the wet fart that persut turned out ot be.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Are you MDMA-posting?

Naw, man. In fact, I'm far too sober for this poo poo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

What earlier claim are you talking about? If attitudes keep on getting harsher, it will eventually lead to systematic violence. As Ligur said, it's extremely naive to think that people don't get angry when their money is being spent on things they don't want it to be spent on.

You're portraying systematic violence as something natural and inevitable, when it is anything but. Not even the koks go out and lynch the poor or disabled because they're taking are tax euros.

Also Ligur is just being salty because his glorious fuhrer ended up as a bitch to a hihhuli and a hurri.

SnowblindFatal posted:

http://www.hs.fi/paivanlehti/17012016/a1452832390604
If you think that this doesn't count because it's just Britain and Sweden then how do you see that Finland is so much different from those countries? Human psyche is quite an universal thing and our culture is very close to the two mentioned here.

I don't know why I have to explain this, but Finland is, in fact, not Sweden or the U.K. and something happening in country X is not in itself evidence that it's happening here as well.

SnowblindFatal posted:

You don't think that people abandoned persus because they were too mild in their rhetoric? I don't think that economic matters could've caused such a dramatic decrease in popularity. The party has mostly identified itself as a nationalistic one, and their soft way of handling the immigration business is most likely what caused their supporters to disappear. I would expect to see a more of a hardliner party in the future or something similar.

The persu collapse in the polls is mirrored almost exactly by SDP gains. It's petty obvious that this is mainly caused by working-class people who were fooled by Soini pretending to be on the left economically flocking back to the traditional leftwing party.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 28, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

"Hmm, I don't know where you're getting this idea of humans being violent." Hahahahahah Jesus Christ what planet do you live on!?

The one where basic reading comprehension isn't unheard of. Also you might want to look into sobering up before posting any more.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fish of hemp posted:

This is something really odd. What made people think that PS was actually a left wing party? Because this was always brought up, even by otherwise smart people. "They have leftist economic policies, you know, they care about the little man, they're actually communists in disguise". Well gently caress no they weren't and aren't. How did that happen?

gently caress if I know (besides SDP steadily moving to the right for the past decades, of course) but any illusions about where persut really stand seem to be gone by now, and hopefully they'll stay gone. A pity that we have to endure this loving clownshow of a government in order to get the point across, though.

doverhog posted:

PS is letting Kok and Kepu do whatever they want, so we still haven't seen what Pers economic policy would be.

There are basically two possibilities here. The first is that Persut have no significant differences in economic policy when compared to the rest of the bourgie parties. The second is that they'd prefer another economic policy, but that sweet, sweet minsterinsalkku outweighed any principles about not shafting everybody except the rich.

Neither option reflects very well on the hypothetical pers economic policy.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

So, like, this was the program of one of the parties that were given this overwhelming mandate for governing "economically centre-right"?

Guess it's a good thing that it all turned out to be lies, or else you would look kinda dumb right now.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Still mad about the result, huh? Even without PS, you could have had a center right govt, while both of the main left wing parties had huge losses.

Given the ensuing parade of incompetence and buffoonery from our current government, I don't see why any reasonable person should be happy about the election result. Therefore the whole "u mad bro" thing confused me for a second until I remembered who I was replying to.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

PS might be left wing but that's not why people voted for them (Greece and immigrants being the main reasons)

Let's review the numbers here. Compared to the elections, pers is down ~8%. Likewise SDP is up ~6%, and the only other party that has made significant gains is the greens. Assuming that pers voters aren't moving to the greens, which seems far-fetched, the obvious conclusion is that pers voters are moving en masse to SDP.

Now, SDP isn't exactly known for being more hardline on immigrants and Greece when compared to pers, making it unlikely that these are the cause for the movement. So what reasonable explanations does this leave us with? And what does this say about why these 8% voted for pers in the first place? We leave figuring this one out as an exercise to the reader.

Besides that, pers has proven that they are anything but left wing by now, and to pretend otherwise is absurd.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 29, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Puistokemisti posted:

Guess SOMEONE hasn't studied history. :smug:

Let me deliver some hard facts right here:

Ah, a classic image. Though I still wonder why May, 2009 is so important that it had to be pointed out.

EDIT: Or why May, 2009, seems to take place after 2050 CE, for that matter.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

It's not altruism, it's competition. And no matter how much you cry about it, it tends to work a lot better than letting bureaucrats run the show.

I, too, think that competition will lower prices when we're talking about a natural monopoly.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Anyway, in this case, the government decided to mandate huge investments (change in some requirements required updating a lot of the infra) the year after it privatized the company. So no poo poo prices would increase. Lol if you think it would have worked differently with a valtionyhtio.

If the government was running the show it could easily mitigate the hit to the consumers if it wanted to, so congratulations on being totally wrong I guess?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rexroom posted:

Li Andersson of the Left Alliance has declared that he will run for party leadership. Those party elections will be held sometime not soon.

Hope she makes it. She's pretty sensible, and as a bonus it will rile up the dumbshits to no end.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The government is "running the show", they're the ones who dictate how much profit Caruna and other similar companies can make. If you knew anything about this case, you'd realize that Caruna (as a natural monopoly) is already heavily regulated and the profit they can make (as a percentage of capital employed) is capped by the government. It just so happened that the government told the companies that they had to invest heavily (i.e. employ more capital), so companies raised prices to meet this percentage. Also the always benevolent government did raise the percentage in order to encourage investments.

What, being a regulated industry is the equivalent of being state-owned nowadays? If the government actually ran the show they could find ways of funding the necessary infrastructure spending that didn't gently caress over the average citizen. This shouldn't be hard to grasp, but then again you're the guy who thinks that our current government has really smart ideas.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Caruna was owned by Fortum before, so no, the government couldn't have "found ways of funding the necessary infrastructure spending that didn't gently caress over the average citizen" because Fortum can't tax anyone either. But I assume you're probably referring to one of your communist fantasies again where even Fortum doesn't exist and the government controls the company directly. Can't help but wonder how the government would actually fund it though, I realize this is a bit pointless as I'm arguing from a position of "this is reality" and you're arguing from "in my communist utopia we could" and of course there's no point for me to address everything else that's wrong with your communist utopia. Right now the infrastructure investments are being funded by the consumers through price increases, so that's a "tax" that hits a) big consumers of electricity disproportionately highly (good for the environment) and b) industry and services much more heavily than consumers (redistributive, unavoidable tax on industry). I'm sure in Cerebral Boristan the government would be able to tax Republicans and tax havens and the company would be run super efficiently despite managers getting paid the same as janitors, so it's pointless to argue this much further...

You're the one who started yelling about how a hypothetical valtion yhtiö would have handled the thing just as badly. Like, this is something that you brought up of your own volition, and now you're having a meltdown because somebody did address a thing that you brought up.

I'd say that I admire the chutzpah, but at this point it's just sad to watch.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

There are no "no go" zones, but the police can't go into some areas alone. Those Finnish puukkojunkkaris from the 70s are getting rowdy I see.

Yes, because if they go witn one car and leave the car unattended it occasionally gets vandalized. Truly a lawless hellscape if I ever saw one.

But realtalk here, I've never understood how people can argue with a straight face that Sweden of all places is some exceptionally terrible place against all the very obvious evidence to the contrary. Even accounting for explanations as varied as good ol' finnish pikkuvelikompleksi, general statistical illiteracy, a deep-seated need to portray swarthy people as criminal barbarians and being dumb enough to base your analysis on google translated tabloid articles, it seems kinda dumb to pick one of the most prosperous countries in the world as your cautionary tale. This is especially dumb as this exact same line has been repeated literally every time there's a major influx of people. Strangely enough, the country still stands.

But hell, what do I know? Maybe this time a spike in admitted refugees will actually turn Sweden into the Wasteland and the hooting of Warboys and roar of a nitrous-infused V8 will echo over the baltic sea.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

Yeah, at least they're not shooting people on the streets and blowing up others with grenades, oh wait, yes they are

Organized crime exists, therefore Sweden is hell on earth. Gotcha.

Though it is passing strange that Sweden didn't collapse into dog-eat-dog anarchy when Hells Angels and Bandidos did the exact same thing back in the 90s, but I'm sure that this time the Mad Max dystopia will materialize.

OhYeah posted:

It's really hard to discuss this subject without a lot of angry Swedes turning up and screaming "racist! bigot!" at the top of their lungs, but...

Let's just say that among the people who are most dissatisfied with the current situation there are people who are actually immigrants themselves, having moved to Sweden 20-30-40 years ago. They came to Sweden because they wanted to escape a backwards culture, only to find out that the culture has now followed them to Sweden.

That's why cultural relativism is such a dangerous ideology. Ultimately it fucks over everyone.

Did you crib this startling insight from MV-lehti, or is it an original work?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PineappleGod posted:

I don't know if this government will actually make one decision that isn't recalled later. The compromise on SOTE is now out the window and we are back to square one.
See HS: http://www.hs.fi/politiikka/a1455685501382

I don't know whether to laugh or cry... this is getting ridiculous.

The only small comfort we can take from all this is that while our government might consist of complete fuckers, they're at least so goddamn incompetent that their efforts end up as jack poo poo.

OhYeah posted:

Funnily enough I have only once visited that site when I was following a link from the comments section of some website, but I'm glad to see that it stung so hard that it still hurts. :)

See, the problem here is that the only thing backing up your words is your own opinion, and that's the opinion of a man who looked at MV-lehti and thought "seems legit".

Ligur, please tell me more of the swarthy hellchildren in Sweden and their rabid mastication of innocent train passengers. That one was pretty good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
For people who have such a low opinion of Sweden, the Ligurs of the world sure seem obsessed by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hob_Gadling posted:

We should join NATO, though. Alueellisen puolustuksen lantavarpaat voi pitää päänsä kiinni ja punikeille balalaikka perseeseen & ladakyyti itärajalle. That's the only way we can be safe from the growing aggression of Russia. If they're going bankrupt, do you think they'll suffer a second collapse of Soviet Union quietly?

So let me get this straight here: Russia is going to collapse again, but this time they'll a) be able to and b) be crazy enough to start a loving war with us of all people, while also being bankrupt and in the middle of falling the gently caress apart. Therefore we need to join NATO.

Maybe it's just me, but something about this doesn't exactly seem convincing.

Rexroom posted:

You know those US National Guard planes that are coming this summer to a military exercise in Finland? Well, apparently more is to come: US armored mobiles are joining those, too. What the hell is going on? The ministry of defense run by Jussi Niinistö (TF) is tight-lipped on the issue, but Timo Soini confessed on Friday that the US basically invited themselves to the country. Who exactly is on top of this situation? Are we to expect US ground troops next?

Maybe the government figured that this will play well with people who check that htere are no ryssät beneath their bed before going to sleep? Judging by this here thread, they might even be right about something for the first time.