Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Sipilä's tantrum got some results, but in typical fashion Helsinki will get to foot the SoTe-bill for rural hicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
You guys are all loving assburgers.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

And privatize the hospital, it'll be more efficient that way.

Yeah, then we can do some preventative medical treatment. Genuinely sick people aren't as profitable.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
There's been a slew of instantaneous worker strikes at postal centers across the country. One of the sources of these have been the introduction of rent-workers to the workplace. Regular employees resent that, and some have refused to guide them to do their work - something the post worker's union recommends to do. Subsequently dissenters have been removed - not fired - from the workplace for an "illegal strike." This is all in advance to the announced general strike of postal workers near the end of this month where they will demonstrate against the current state company policies for three days. (It was only going to be two days, but they decided to extend it for another day.)

In other words, expect some delays to your internet shop orders.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

You guys better keep Ligur this time, seriously.

We don't want him in Scandipol at all.

No. He's too good for Finland to keep. He needs to be set freeee-eee-ee.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Herman Merman posted:

Stubb ei näe Toivakan omistuksissa ongelmia
Valtiovarainministeri pitää ulkomaankauppaministerin aiempaa yrittäjätaustaa Suomelle hyödyllisenä toimintana.

This man will lie just about anything at this point.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
That's great news Ligur, but better not keep it here: I bet the scandipol would be a far better place to fully dissect that glorious event.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Looks like Paavo Väyrynen is getting his citizen initiative over the 50 000 signature milestone any moment now. And a couple of months in advance, too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

DarkCrawler posted:

I know this place is poo poo, but it's not monologue type poo poo (that's blogs). If you aren't here to engage in pointless slapfights or read them, what's the point? To stay informed? :lol:

It's D&D, arguing is the whole point, it's like a low-rent hobo addict version of the Greek agora.

I came here to have a debate, not an argument. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Oh, Ligur is gone for a while? Good, maybe we can talk about real issues rather than his imaginary enemies.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Like this: It's no secret that certain right leaning politicians want to provide the local equivalent of the CIA - except dumber - the right to go mass electronic surveillance on Finland, kinda like the NSA. That is so we'd be on the level of "civilized nations", as the president of Finland put it. You know, for terrorists and... er... "terrorists." Currently the law forbids that. Maybe even the constitution itself. But like some TF members expressed it, they feel they can circumvent "bad laws" when need be. But good sense prevails nonetheless, since one of the competitive advantages for data centers coming to Finland is our good set of privacy laws. So tampering with that set of laws might scare away potential investors, and that can't be good.

Except... in the shadow of the Paris massacres, foreign minister Timo Soini has commented that "border and net traffic surveillance will be doubled." Either that was a honest mistake and is just a good soundbite - he is after all a True Finn - or the good minister has slipped something he isn't supposed to disclose. Why is this? Well, while our internet service providers do collect some data on our traffic, for the police or any authority to have access to them, they need a court order. That's what our privacy laws are for, to protect us from unwarranted snooping. That's why police get into trouble if they search people from the register without a drat good reason. So what exactly is going on? I'm reminded of what happened in Sweden: It was only after the introduction of a law that allowed network surveillance by the state that people suddenly came aware that there was actually massive net traffic surveillance going on in the country. And since Sweden is the bypass country for most of the traffic coming and going from Finland (and Russia), that was a tricky situation. The bill was to merely make the thing legal since it's rather strange doing that stuff without the full protection of the law. If we want to get paranoid, we might say that Finland has it's system up and running, and now they're just updating our privacy laws to the new normal.

So yeah, "civilized nations" indeed.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

There's always some fucker who doesn't take care of his rifle. One dumbass lost his, and he didn't notice until some officer asked where's his gun. (It was later found in some old campsite they were at. Ruined by rust. Poor bastard probably had to pay for it.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Funny that law where Finland can't give military assistance. I didn't know it even existed, what will all this talk about should we join NATO or not.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

So, you're going to vote for SDP?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Jolla is in trouble. Finland is not getting another Nokia. :(

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Ideally there would be a cornucopia of different competing operating systems, but since we only have basically two - Android and iOS - there's not much competition going on. (Hell, not even Microsoft could get their share going.) The fact that both of those mobile infrastructures are located in the US is bad news for technological independence. What is it that Europe - or Finland for that matter - can't get a single leg up in this field? poo poo sucks.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Left Alliance's current head Paavo Arhinmäki has announced he's not going to continue his gig after his term, so this summer will see a new chairman for the party.

EDIT: Goddamn. Well, some commentary: While Paavo has been less charismatic lately, he's still one of the top people who vacuumed votes for the party. It'll be interesting to see who'll compete for the top spot.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, Arhinmäki got a lot of votes in the Helsinki region, I remember he got more votes than Halla-aho at one point.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

HerraS posted:

who will all the hesan humanistihipsterit vote for now???

Greens, probably. Although didn't they vote for them anyway?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not as much as you.

:boom:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Being gay in Iraq is pretty lovely, even the police partake in the local gay bashing. Some of the tortures there are downright inhumane.

Fun trivia fact: Dubai is the center of Middle-Eastern gay culture.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Wheany posted:

Describe to me humane torture.

Do you like S/M?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
What a surprise. Fiascos like that are actually pretty common in Intelligence Agencies because they live in a thoroughly paranoid world, and anyone listening to them are in danger of getting sucked into that world. Which usually means journalists.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Christ, now Sipilä has called an emergency meeting. Not what happened between Turkey and Russia, but about the rape incident today.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Mulli posted:

So all the raping and bitch slapping aside:

Tupo is dead.

Well, now the transport union (AKT) have left the social contract talks since EK "flushed Tupo down the toilet." Which is bad because you need all the players if you want that stupid "social contract" to happen.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

If one would want to go a bit :tinfoil: here, it looks like it actually was EK's intention all along to piss off the more trigger-happy unions such as AKT by saying that they're not going to play tupo anymore and give themselves an excuse to drop out. After the unions got mad because of this and said gently caress the yhteiskuntasopimus, they went all "well we would have negotiated this round but not the next one, that's what we meant but now it looks like we can't, thanks a lot!!!" and shifted the blame to the unions and even got our Great Leader Prime Minister to flip out over this -- not at EK but at the unions.

But that can't be true... If EK isn't 100% unselfishly on the side of the Fatherland and wanting what's best for us as a nation, what is there left to believe in?!?

Or it could just be that the current leader of EK Jyri Häkämies is as incompetent as he was in Jyrki-boy's government.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, suspicion of rape is one thing. It's not something you can point a violated vagina and say a rape has been committed. There is a lot of context attached to it. And I think we still have this notion of "innocent until proven guilty", despite what various internet town meetings might lead you to believe. (Although now saying that: Most cases are pretty straightforward. Most of the time.)

As for those who do get a sentence based on rape: I suspect the "does not end the asylum process" means they'll go through it and say: "We have refused your application. Nice meeting you! Bye." This is Finnish bureaucracy after all.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Mulli posted:

yes yes, I am pro-immigration, therefore I also think rape is cool and good. Furthermore,

Good, for a moment I thought rape isn't cool and good. The penis is the sword of justice et cetera.

Serious note: Like it or not, we live in a state that is ruled by the letter of law. That means everyone - everyone - is entitled due process. If the idea that immigrants are granted that right offends you, that might be because you're a racist. Just sayin'. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Mulli posted:

I, uh, agree with you?

Oh wait, you meant rapeseed oil. Sorry. Yes, that's cool amongst health nutritionists and is good for your health.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Hogge Wild posted:

pohjanmaalaisten ansiosta suomi on jo enemmän kuin omavarainen hihhulipedojen suhteen, joten mielestäni niitä ei tarvitse tänne roudata konttilasteittain lisää

Good news, then: They're coming here on their own, anyway.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Jerry Cotton posted:

Massiivinen runkkari?

I'm going to answer for him and say "yes"

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

DarkCrawler posted:

Few (multiple dozen) percentage points here or there who cares!
http://www.hs.fi/politiikka/a1448606137482

It's been said time and time again: But Stubb is not to be trusted on anything he says.

EDIT: I mean seriously, he's pulled out so much poo poo out of his rear end, I think he has the cleanest intestines in politics.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 27, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
What the gently caress is going on?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Justufinhaamu posted:

Also another asylum seeker was arrested for rape today. Oh boy, talk about shooting your own foot.

Umm, how do you know? The news aren't saying anything about the rapist. And apparently it happened back in Friday.

And breaking news, three people are shot at Myyrmäki railway station.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Bensa posted:

All the news outlets say a man arrested near the scene and still being held does not have a SOTU and came to Finland as a refugee in September.

Well, the first part is true, but I'm not seeing the rest, although I've only read MTV's news report.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Hob_Gadling posted:

I trust everyone has already seen the video from Järvenpää VOK where a neo-Finn fingerbangs a cat, so I don't have to link it here? Because that made me sick to my stomach.

I... think this is a joke?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Geriatric Pirate posted:

(and who the hell stumbled upon it in the first place)

Well, some guy does point that video to some random Finnish chick in the comments.

I guess they haven't internalized this alien concept of seeing animals more than just tools.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
So apparently the Hallintorekisteri bill has been killed once and for all. Although one can't be too careful: I bet they'll start to dig that rotting corpse up again when nobody is looking.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

hillo posted:

Niin. Virhe oli että jäi valheestaan kiinni

The official term is "muunneltu totuus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
The 30% price hike is the perfect solution in cutting down the amount of people queuing for health-care services. This way doctors have enough time to do their work by giving prioritization to people who really matter in our society: Actual (working) people, not some grannies with Munchhausen syndrome or violent alcoholic tramps. :v: