Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Too bad they never like, hired Obsidian/Troika or what have you to make a proper RPG in this setting. I guess the whole 3D platformer thing can be attributed to that early 3D craze where everything had to be 3D + actiony (*especially* the platforming). Even if the original sorta had all the elements there (including incredibly janky "action").

The 3D platforming was the least enjoyable thing about the Soul Reaver games when I played them (well the combat too, after a while... and oh god the camera). I guess some people enjoyed 3D puzzlin'? (Evidently not enough).

A modern RPG would do bloody wonders with the setting and characters (RIP T-Jay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

Too bad they never like, hired Obsidian/Troika or what have you to make a proper RPG in this setting. I guess the whole 3D platformer thing can be attributed to that early 3D craze where everything had to be 3D + actiony (*especially* the platforming). Even if the original sorta had all the elements there (including incredibly janky "action").

The 3D platforming was the least enjoyable thing about the Soul Reaver games when I played them (well the combat too, after a while... and oh god the camera). I guess some people enjoyed 3D puzzlin'? (Evidently not enough).

A good and well-written modern RPG would do bloody wonders with the setting and characters (RIP T-Jay).

Fixed

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaand update. This one is fun

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This part of the game is a lot longer than I remember it being.

Pimpmust posted:

Absolutely everyone wanted to get in on Nintendo's and Naughty Dogs success.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
On one hand, Raziel is one of the best protagonists at moving block. He can drag them to the side, he moves in clean, one block lengths, he can flip blocks onto higher ledges, and pushes/pulls at a decent pace. On the other hand, having to do a dramatic animation every time you want to grab a block is annoying as hell.

EDIT: Any idea what this "Lipstick Apathy" thing is about?

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 12, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MaskedHuzzah posted:

You donated to SA.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MaskedHuzzah posted:

On one hand, Raziel is one of the best protagonists at moving block. He can drag them to the side, he moves in clean, one block lengths, he can flip blocks onto higher ledges, and pushes/pulls at a decent pace. On the other hand, having to do a dramatic animation every time you want to grab a block is annoying as hell.

...yet tiny 20 cm ledges are insurmountable obstacles

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The animation for moving the blocks though, while slow, is really good, particularly when sliding sideways. There's a real sense of weight and, once he gets the block moving, inertia as he re-positions himself for the next move.

It just takes for-goddamned-ever.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The quick tap to push a block is really noice though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That is true
However, according to Tony Jay, these objects are supposed to be moved effortlessly
Meaning the weight should feel like not an actual weight and more like slight cardio instead
I have just finished recording the next part and the block puzzle from that one is fresh in my mind, so I'm frustrated about blocks again
Expect an update within a couple of hours

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The update is in

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think I might have been mistaken and the game I had was Soul Reaver 2.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think I might have been mistaken and the game I had was Soul Reaver 2.

Well, SR2 does have a swamp and just as much backtracking as SR (it's just not considered anywhere near as bad because SR2 has different landscapes, while SR is like Saint Petersburg: gray and brown with occasional hint of dirty green), so that is a possibility

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Also I remember having that wraith sword the summaries mention, and being in some kind of monastery or something like that early on.

e: really I think was got me confused was the intro cinematic being the same

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Also I remember having that wraith sword the summaries mention, and being in some kind of monastery or something like that early on.

e: really I think was got me confused was the intro cinematic being the same

Yes, that is definitely SR2
The intro cutscene isn't completely the same, but it does reuse a lot of the SR intro

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The SR intro is on the SR2 disc.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Melchiahs face looks ps1 as gently caress.

Also, the audio is better now I think, much appreciated!

Loksr
Apr 16, 2002

Oh I'm the Arbiter I know the score
Really digging your videos, looking forward to seeing the rest! Especially since I haven't really revisited this game in many years now.

For quite a while, for my younger self, this was my favorite game and when it came time to choose my internet name of course I went with the acronym for Legacy Of Kain Soul Reaver. Ah well.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
You know, there is a way to get the vampire hunters to stop attacking you. You can feed on them and they get all dizzy, but you drain them a little bit at a time. If you feed a little and stop, then just continue on, they'll eventually start remembering you for your 'mercy' than for your feeding on them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay, first thing's first: I'm not on a 3-months long break, which tended to happen during BO, I'll make a new update today, worst case - tomorrow morning (this post is posted at 20:16 for me). Having to read 200 pages of study stuff daily, classes, and lifting don't leave much time for anything, video games included

Zom Aur posted:

Melchiahs face looks ps1 as gently caress.

Also, the audio is better now I think, much appreciated!

Well, all of the characters bar (to an extent) Raziel look like that. I'd really like to see an HD remake of SR to see what the detailed versions of these aberrations would look like
Okay, good. Will keep it that way

LOKSR44 posted:

Really digging your videos, looking forward to seeing the rest! Especially since I haven't really revisited this game in many years now.

For quite a while, for my younger self, this was my favorite game and when it came time to choose my internet name of course I went with the acronym for Legacy Of Kain Soul Reaver. Ah well.

drat, 2002. The game is THAT old :D

Vicissitude posted:

You know, there is a way to get the vampire hunters to stop attacking you. You can feed on them and they get all dizzy, but you drain them a little bit at a time. If you feed a little and stop, then just continue on, they'll eventually start remembering you for your 'mercy' than for your feeding on them.

I'll try doing that next time I encounter one of them, thanks for the tip!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The update is in

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The word you were confused about is "ill-omened."

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The word you were confused about is "ill-omened."

Thanks, I suppose the way Tony Jay somehow put the stress on the second syllable in "omened" confused me

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Reaver is awesome, I didn't use anything else after I got it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'd make a Reavers Broken: 2 joke here, but this is the last time it happens in the series.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Funny thing about the Kain fight, if you used cheat codes to give yourself the Reaver early, Kain would just laugh at you when you hit him and take no damage. Since you need to not have full health to go back to claws, and Kain uses only one-hit kills, the fight becomes impossible to win.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Wait, there are SR cheat codes?
*googles*
Oh

Edit: tried to break the game with the "Shift at any time" code, didn't work

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 22, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Do not fear the length, for this one has a lot of blocks and, as such, skip options. The real length is probably around 22-25 minutes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've always wondered about the Silent Cathedral. Is it meant to be a repurposed Avernus Cathedral or is it a different one entirely?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Alexeythegreat posted:

Wait, there are SR cheat codes?
*googles*
Oh

Edit: tried to break the game with the "Shift at any time" code, didn't work

The Shift Any Time power was supposed to be an upgrade from a cut sidequest. You fought a priestess who could fade in and out of the spirit world and consuming her would allow you to do so at will rather than at "weak points" in the veil, or whatever the explanation is.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've always wondered about the Silent Cathedral. Is it meant to be a repurposed Avernus Cathedral or is it a different one entirely?

It's different. Avernus existed even before Kain. The silent cathedral was purpose built as a weapon against the vampires. Exactly how useful it would be as a weapon rather than as a defensive stronghold is up for debate.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
You know, you could probably have knocked down that one Zephonim that was trolling you by hanging on the wall in the block puzzle room by pulling one of the pipes off the wall and throwing it at him.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Just chiming in to say that I love this series, and the whole one you did for Legacy of Kain! These threads don't get enough love, but I enjoy listening to you talk about Nosgoth and all this crazy lore, so thank you for putting in all the effort!

KnT
Jul 12, 2010
And right near the end of the video is the farthest I got while renting this game so many years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this game.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
For more info about the cut content, including a lot of stuff this level was supposed to do that it doesn't, check out the GIA's old writeup (full of spoilers). Try not to get sad about how long it's been since the GIA was a full-blown thing.

Also, good god did they ever make up for this with the later games.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Huh. Maybe you have to do it to the townsfolk in the human city. I know for a fact that you can feed off them, or at least I could in the PS1 version, and if you don't kill them eventually the hunters would drop to their knees as you came by and shower you with praise.

Also, kudos for pronouncing my nick right. Nobody ever realizes it's a soft C :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think it's because he killed the first vampire hunter he came across. In my experience he's initially hostile but if you spare him then he and other vampire hunters will worship Raziel. I don't think he can get back in the good graces of humans if he killed any of them though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Crigit posted:

You know, you could probably have knocked down that one Zephonim that was trolling you by hanging on the wall in the block puzzle room by pulling one of the pipes off the wall and throwing it at him.

That is probably true. Too bad it never occured to me at the moment, I was preoccupied with the blocks and futility of existence and my hatred towards Zephonim

Vicissitude posted:

Huh. Maybe you have to do it to the townsfolk in the human city. I know for a fact that you can feed off them, or at least I could in the PS1 version, and if you don't kill them eventually the hunters would drop to their knees as you came by and shower you with praise.

Also, kudos for pronouncing my nick right. Nobody ever realizes it's a soft C :v:

I will try that as well, but I'm pretty sure that Mr. Fortitude is right and it's entirely dependent on the fact that I killed the first hunter I encount...

...wait what how do you even pronounce your nickname with a hard C? It feels awkward to pronounce it like that

FisheyStix posted:

Just chiming in to say that I love this series, and the whole one you did for Legacy of Kain! These threads don't get enough love, but I enjoy listening to you talk about Nosgoth and all this crazy lore, so thank you for putting in all the effort!

Thanks!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'll say one thing for the first two (!) block puzzles in Zephon's Keep, they weren't actually that bad. Not too many blocks, you needed to rotate them and not just shuffle them around, and there weren't too many enemies around. That said, the rest were unbearable.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
The branching paths in the Cathedral were to be used in the not completed part of the game. The first Soul Reaver wasn't completed and the final became very different, but there still are present a few elements of the original final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I might be in a minority here, but I liked the block puzzles in the game. Sure, they were block puzzles, but adding the ability to slide, flip, and lift blocks added enough to them that I felt they were decent puzzles. Although it was a fairly long time ago that I played the game, so my tolerance for bullshit might not accept them now.

• Locked thread