Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

I may actually finish this LP until the end of the year if I keep going at this pace
Compare to Blood Omen, which took half a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I teach and coach swimming for a living, so since you brought it up:

Raziel is doing the dolphin kick, which is not only possible but also incredibly efficient when swimming underwater. When you hold your arms up properly it's the most efficient way to move through the water, which is why competitive swimmers use it after diving in or pushing off the wall (there are even rules in place to limit this). Besides having his arms at his sides, Raziel is moving his legs and chest around his hips instead of driving the kick from his core--ideally you'd see his arms up and chest held steady while his hips and legs move.

In case you're wondering, I do this with swimming in every video game. It's seldom done well.

George fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 7, 2015

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
You do encounter the Turelim one more time near the endgame.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I teach and coach swimming for a living, so since you brought it up:

Raziel is doing the dolphin kick, which is not only possible but also incredibly efficient when swimming underwater. When you hold your arms up properly it's the most efficient way to move through the water, which is why competitive swimmers use it after diving in or pushing off the wall (there are even rules in place to limit this). Besides having his arms at his sides, Raziel is moving his legs and chest around his hips instead of driving the kick from his core--ideally you'd see his arms up and chest held steady while his hips and legs move.

In case you're wondering, I do this with swimming in every video game. It's seldom done well.

Huh. I didn't know this... may try when I swim next time. Thanks

DukeofCA posted:

You do encounter the Turelim one more time near the endgame.

Well, I did say that I may be wrong :v:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Well, I learned something. Who says video games aren't instructive?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So, this happened when I was recording. I'll make a pretty button later (assuming that I'm not the only one who gives a poo poo about pretty buttons, which is probably a wrong assumption)
Edit: made a pretty button

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 8, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Update

George
Nov 27, 2004

Most games treat swimming like flying an airplane. It's maddening.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I think you are over analyzing things too much. Portals in human citadel are for player_character convenience so that you can travel faster to and from it, those vampires are there because someone flushed a fledgeling down the toilet so that this level isn't a total cakewalk, bugs happen due to little gremlins eating at the code and messing things up and that statue of a woman is just a statue of some random woman unless proven otherwise.

Good LP by the way, I never played Legacy of Kain games, but I knew about them since I was a kid.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

I think you are over analyzing things too much. Portals in human citadel are for player_character convenience so that you can travel faster to and from it, those vampires are there because someone flushed a fledgeling down the toilet so that this level isn't a total cakewalk, bugs happen due to little gremlins eating at the code and messing things up and that statue of a woman is just a statue of some random woman unless proven otherwise.

Good LP by the way, I never played Legacy of Kain games, but I knew about them since I was a kid.

Despite the massive problems in this game's development, it's not far-fetched to read Dark Souls-level conclusions into minor details. It isn't always right, but more often than you might think.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm a guy who LP's a Legacy of Kain game, of course I'm overthinking it, that's the point! :downs:

And thanks :) I think that everyone should play at least the Soul Reaver games (and there are three of them, as Defiance is basically SR3)

Speaking of Dark Souls... there's another franchise I have never touched :v:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

They made the most of thosee cuts, as all the extra content does make the environment feel bigger than it is. The fact that there's just this human citadel around that you aren't really required to explore gives the world a more lived-in quality.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A random thought... maybe SR has an environmental message, with smokestacks and pollution and machinery and being kind of a fantasy version of Fallout
*beat*
I'm overthinking

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Well, I don't know, it's not hard to read an environmentalist theme into Soul Reaver. The powers that be go on and on about Cain's dereliction of his duties, and the world is dying as a consequence of the excesses and greed of the powerful. The sun has been blocked out, nothing seems to grow, and water is deadly (yes, vampires, but think thematically). Rasiel's purpose, the consumtion of souls, supposedly is also for the purpose of balance-- returning resources to the metaphysical carbon cycle, or whatever the elder god was going on about.

So I don't know the whole story, but it's p much there so far, unless you think video games aren't allowed metaphor.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A small announcement.

As you all know, The Force Awakens is about to hit the theaters. During that time (specifically, between December 14th and 22nd) I will be in Russia. Unfortunately, they don't do undubbed movies in Russian theaters, because nobody speaks sufficient English and, as a result, nobody watches them (they tried, you know nobody gives a poo poo when the cinema is half empty for Age of Ultron). This means that I won't be able to watch undubbed Episode VII until, best case, December 23rd. Needless to say, I am not watching the Russian dub.

Why is this relevant here? Because I don't want to get the entire movie spoiled for me. The only way to ensure that is to not log onto social media, specifically Facebook, Twitter, and, which is important here, Youtube. Even if I just open the main page, there will inevitably a myriad of discussion videos trending there, which WILL spoil somewhere between half and all the poo poo in the movie (and I'm the guy who was avoiding trailers and really wishes that he could have avoided seeing the theatrical poster)

The videos on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will most likely be back-to-back (because I honestly have nothing better to do, I'm on a break), but then there will be these 10 days when SA will most likely be the only place on the Internet I visit

tl;dr no updates between December 14th and 23rd

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Godspeed, tovarish. ;~; Don't you spoil that flick.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Snape kills Obi-wan :v:

Good luck, buddy. I can only imagine the temptation, being someone who always looks at spoilers no matter what.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Good luck and it will be an impressive feat if it works. You should probably avoid Something Awful as well as people will probably buy banner ads and avatars that spoil the movies too.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
1) Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I just realized that logging onto SA is also risky af. On a positive side, there turned out to actually be a faint hope that I would be able to watch the movie in English in Russia. EDIT: FORGET I SAID ANYTHING I FOUND A PLACE HELL YES

2) I have just finished recording the game. The endgame was a diabolical pain in the rear end to get recorded due to its sequence of cutscenes which basically minimize the game to tray everytime, but I succeeded nevertheless (and now I have a total of 14 raw videos for one last update :v:). There will be a total of 5 more main game updates (Nupraptor's Retreat, Dumah, a video for whatever collectibles were left, Oracle's cave, and the endgame with that stupid luck-based fight. The stupid luck-based fight alone took almost 10 minutes -_-)

3) I have no idea what I was thinking when I was saying that the updates will end on 14th if the movie doesn't premiere until 17th in most of the world and 18th in the US. I will actually have the entire game completed by that point, the things that will have to wait are cut content extras

The first of these updates should be done in a few hours

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 12, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Less-than-stellar gameplay aside, I really like the aesthetics of what the last few centuries of Kain's empire have done to the place. The dried-up waterfall, the broken and collapsed skull, the way you enter through one of the eyes that used to show the different versions of Nosgoth. Cool little bit of fan service.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
A real shame that it is necessary to play BO to appreciate that fanservice

Also, I never realized how huge Raziel's calves are in SR

George
Nov 27, 2004

I thought Raziel's huge gams stayed pretty consistent across the series.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
All those souls werent low fat.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
His calves probably look bigger than they really are because of his greaves. Although yeah, Raziel obviously did not skip leg day before Kain threw him into the abyss.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Congratulations on getting the final power-up, we'll never see it again after this game. :v:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Having never played BO myself, I only just saw that yes, that IS Nuptraptor's keep thanks to this LP. Now, which eye is it that Raziel enters to get the stone glyph? I can't remember which eye showed what.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
1) Raziel's calves are big later, but they're not that big anymore
2) I just checked, that's the "clear" eye

There's an ad playing now, they told me I could use it so long as I don't dispute the claim ._. Well, at least it's not some bullshit fraud by people having nothing to do with the music

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

There's an ad playing now, they told me I could use it so long as I don't dispute the claim ._. Well, at least it's not some bullshit fraud by people having nothing to do with the music

I'm sorry?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to sarcastically say that it triggers deep depression, but eh, it's not really a good thing to joke about
I know nobody really gives a drat and whoever does simply uses adblock, but I was just really curious to see if I could avoid triggering the system :v:

George
Nov 27, 2004

Alexeythegreat posted:

I just checked, that's the "clear" eye

Because the clear future for Nosgoth was destroyed. By Ben Stein?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This made me google who Ben Stein is and oh do I wish I stayed in ignorance

One could also say that the bright future is the only option because the "twisted" eye isn't available

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They really should have named this game Box Reaver.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And this concludes the LP proper

There are, however, extras yet to make (which I'm not going to be able to get done until after 22nd)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I love that almost all the upgrades that arent mandatory are compleatly useless. Nothing in the game really does a lot of health damage for example. :allears:
Also looking back on this game, a lot of the future stuff make a bit more sense now.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
I've played all the games of the saga, (only a demo for BO1) and I must admit that the first Soul Reaver was the one I enjoyed the most. Surely, Defiance was a great game, but the concept of the "monster hunting down other monsters"struck a hidden cord in my spirit. While I llike how they transformed the foreshadowing of the Oracle Caves in Defiance, I would have preferred to see the programmed storyline for Soul Reaver accomplished in toto, ending the saga as it was planned.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I have that entire showdown dialogue on my ipod. The voice acting is just far too good not to love. I wish they'd kept the entire thing in for the intro to SR2 but they chopped it down a bit :(

EDIT: Also, when Kain suggests that Raziel might not have looked too deep into what he's done, I thought that might mean I hadn't found all the secrets in the game :v:

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 17, 2015

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's understandable they did, otherwise the intro would've been 10 minutes of chatting, and it may have dragged. I'm eager for Soul Reaver 2 now, I already watched the intro on youtube, but will look forward to Alexey's playing! I may skip a lot of the puzzles again though... (could you move the "skip" button for future videos please? It's usually over the timing bar when I watch so unless I'm pixel-perfect then clicking Skip usually takes me to completely the wrong place in the video!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

I have that entire showdown dialogue on my ipod. The voice acting is just far too good not to love. I wish they'd kept the entire thing in for the intro to SR2 but they chopped it down a bit :(

EDIT: Also, when Kain suggests that Raziel might not have looked too deep into what he's done, I thought that might mean I hadn't found all the secrets in the game :v:

They didn't just cut it down in size, they also rerecorded the parts that they did include (and the retake is, I think, superior). I would've liked to see a "full" rerecorded version as an extra or something like that

Squalitude posted:

It's understandable they did, otherwise the intro would've been 10 minutes of chatting, and it may have dragged. I'm eager for Soul Reaver 2 now, I already watched the intro on youtube, but will look forward to Alexey's playing! I may skip a lot of the puzzles again though... (could you move the "skip" button for future videos please? It's usually over the timing bar when I watch so unless I'm pixel-perfect then clicking Skip usually takes me to completely the wrong place in the video!)

...poo poo. I thought I made it big enough, but, apparently, the ratio of the timing bar and video sizes is different in the annotations screen and the video itself. Now I see that the timing bar covers up half the annotation; in the annotations screen it barely covers up 1/6 of it, I'm dumb -_-

I wish I noticed it, or someone told me about it earlier (although "no one told me about it" is no excuse)

I will absolutely move it, yes

• Locked thread