Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheese eats mouse posted:

Speaking of local changes we are under a red flag warning. We never get these in winter and pretty much never in the summer. I'm in Louisville, Kentucky, not some fire prone western state.

We haven't had a day below freezing. Today it's going to push 80.

Something is really hosed up.

Take a look at the climatology for Louisville. The mean max is 75 degrees, the record for today is 85 set in '85 and the average daily high for the month is 57. Theres "only" a 90% probability that you'll have a freeze before the 20th

I lived in Lexington for 20 years (wow I feel old saying that) and can hit the 70s in December. These aren't crazy out of the normal weather events... yet. Start panicking when you set record late freezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its no big deal posted:

It was 80 degrees two days ago... in Denver. It snowed for the first time yesterday... in Denver. We always have snow by Halloween. Every time I've made a comment attributing that to climate change I've gotten, "Colorado weather has always been weird, man" dismissals.

And when I told my mother I watched Before the Flood and what it was about, her response was....

"Oh, another liberal documentary. Just kidding! But it is liberal."

:shepicide:

Your largest problem with using statements like "Its always _____ by _____ " is that older people will remember that that isn't true. You have 18 Octobers on record without snow. (and another 17 with only a trace) Only one november but 9 with only a trace. The record late first snow is November 21st set in 1934 so yeah November 17th is really late but not the latest in living memory.

This is why you have to use averages.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its no big deal posted:

Oh absolutely. I should clarify that my comments to people have been when they have been commenting about how unseasonably warm it has been. I'd hazard a guess that an 80 degree and sunny to 30 degrees and snow shift over 24 hours is the type of dramatic shift that has happened very rarely. I wouldn't know how to pull together data to support that, though.

Whatever its occurrence, it doesn't make the top 20. Close though!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That doesn't help people in Kentucky or West Virginia though. The only jobs they ever had were coal related. Copper doesn't help because there isn't copper there.

The main problem is that Hillary' response to the debate question was in effect "this jobs are gone, good riddance." People in areas where their only way of life was coal hear that as "gently caress you". Trump says he's going to bring back the joogest, big league coal mines, steel manufacturing, etc to hell with the environmental regulations. That resonates because at least if you work in a mine you can afford to feed your family. The same thing is happening around the world and as far mitigating global warming goes this comes at the worst possible time.

Maybe they can all get jobs in massive geo engineering projects?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The computer jobs they'd be training for pay significantly less than the mines did. The mines paid high school drop outs what a CS grad makes in a flyover state. Besides they don't have the money to move because there's no jobs and student loans are going to just make the situation worse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ArmZ posted:

the entitlement is overwhelming. maybe if they had worked hard and got an education they could have made something of themselves. the free market moves fast, and you have to move with it or die, like a shark. now they have to opportunity to explore themselves, retrain, look for a private sector job built by a job creater who is a titan of business, and they can feel the pride of accomplishment that comes with pulling yourself up by the bootstraps instead of relying on a government handout. the free market has spoken.

Except it's actually Obama's fault that the mines are closed. Elect a generic republican and they'll fight Obama and those mines will be open again in no time!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What about mirrors couldn't we just put mirrors all over the artic

Melt ice caps, launch solar shade, increase solar shade until the sea levels stop rising. Sounds legit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

We fortunately have incredible interest in cubesats. poo poo's available to undergraduate and graduate researchers. I have lost the ability to keep track of the sheer volume of cubesat environmental science projects going through my largest client (a research university) alone.

I think we'll be okay.

Cubesats can't do this kind of monitoring.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clearly we should just be developing secure domed cities so that we can have our dystopian cyberpunk future without being interrupted by Earth trying to become Venus.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But that's where all the democrats live.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Groper posted:

Just read the comments, people are wholly sold on the belief that it's all a scam by liberals to steal their money, and it's going to take unending disaster to convince them otherwise.

A red tide will roll over Florida and conservatives will just say "yup that's the SEC for ya"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the US preemptively nukes India and Pakistan can the nuclear winter counteract global warming?

It seems a more likely scenario for the Trump admin than carbon emissions reductions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

So is this going to be more common? Like could it shift permanently? Or just be incredibly more frequent?

I only have 2 Minnesota winters under my belt and I'm already putting air quotes around that "cold" in the northeast.

(Those are lows btw - those temps are really not that uncommon)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

11th hour geoengineering isn't going to be meaningfully impactful.

It's going to require unanimous international consent, at least among developed nations and rich developing nations. You're talking about altering the entire planet's climate on a scale that's never been (intentionally) attempted before, with global ramifications and unknown side effects. What nation has the right to do that? How are you going to get the countries that are less affected by climate change onboard? Countries might not be willing to start a war with the US over sulfate aerosols, but they might threaten to shoot down aircraft delivering them or threaten trade embargoes until the program is stopped. We'd be opening Pandora's Box by allowing one country or a small group of countries to alter the climate for their own ends, and I guarantee you that a lot of people would be strongly opposed to that even if the situation were dire.

There's also no way that we're even going to attempt any of these ambitious projects until things are looking pretty bleak, and by then we won't be able to do anything about our flooded cities or areas that have already been abandoned thanks to droughts/loss of farmland. Even direct cooling methods like sulfate aerosols aren't going to immediately make areas inhabitable again, and even if they did you'd have a whole new crisis as governments figure out how to move displaced populations back and rebuild abandoned infrastructure. And what about areas that climate change has made more habitable? How do you deal with the people who are living there now?

There's this attitude that geoengineering is the easy solution because it's "only" a technical and engineering problem, but it isn't. The politics of global geoengineering are just as difficult as the politics of global emissions reduction.

Does megacity one count as geoengineering?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

sudden appearance of a god-emperor of humanity".

Good news, everybody!

Wait. That isn't good news at all!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mozi posted:

Well, the simple fact is that it's above freezing at the North Pole right now should count for something regardless of their feelings on sea ice enthusiasts.

So should I say I learned this factoid from the something awful forums? Or science alert.com? Or the university of Washington page they link through to with their beacon readings?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Right so your personal opinion, not an actual scientific conclusion.

Well you see jelly fish are life therefore oceans can't be considered dead. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The daily mail's graph in the article sort of undermines their point, but nobody can probably read graphs anyways.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The DoD is already just using "sea level rise" because you can't deny that naval installations are flooding.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unless we have a permanent El Niño now this will go back next year, a little and suddenly "WHERES YOUR GLOBAL WARMING NOW LIBTARDS?!?!?!"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is that reef die off due primarily due to temperature or other effects like acidification?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

notice no one even tried to posit a scenario where we burn <400GT going forward

Trump or Putin can make it happen!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don't worry nuclear winter will cancel it out.

Seriously according to Wikipedia recent studies say nuclear winter following a US-Russia exchange is -8C for a decade.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

You live in a fantasy scenario that endorses genocide.

How can there be global warming when the white raven said its winter. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Also FYI it is an unscientific claim to state "most humans will be exstinct due to climate change by 2100."

Most humans currently living will be dead by 2100, yes.

I mean, assuming we don't figure out some sort of immortality treatment and make things even worse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

call to action posted:

My favorite part is the complete lack of dead zones around economically unimportant countries! Surely the sea is doing fine there and it's not just that we haven't really measured it.

The dead zones are due to excessive nitrogen from commercial fertilizers so that actually makes sense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like more Protestant attacks on Catholics!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Heres the actual article

It’s basically the opposite of this thread and saying if we take the lower bound of the models and get net carbon emissions to 0 by 2030 we can warm by only 1.5C!

It won’t let me copy paste out of the article but just read the very last paragraph. The scenario portrayed is not going to happen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, at this point, limiting the damage to 1.5C by 2100 would be a laudable achievement. Considering the sociopolitical challenges to doing so.

Physically possible as in "0 net carbon by 2030"

So politically impossible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“call to action”" post="“476590858”"]
It should be associated with climate denial to model any scenario that assumes zero net carbon by 2030. Might as well just insert happy hopes and dreams in there, too.

OK, how do we get there in a way that’s politically unlikely but possible?
[/quote]

"It is physically possible to do this" is a fine article for a scientific journal. This is different from a policy position.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

call to action posted:

I disagree. There's no basis in physical reality for the amount of carbon sequestration they assume. And scientists that put forth "[if we went full communism now] everything will be fine" fuel deniers and gently caress up the intensity of the message that's needed to make real change.

quote:

Nature Geoscience is a monthly multi-disciplinary journal aimed at bringing together top-quality research across the entire spectrum of the Earth Sciences along with relevant work in related areas.
The journal's content reflects all the disciplines within the geosciences, encompassing field work, modelling and theoretical studies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah it falls under modeling, the point is it isn't a political policy journal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Sent to Steve Jurvetson, who's on Tesla's Board.

The opportunity for Tesla in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

This is a chance for Tesla to do good and a long-term business opportunity as well. Electrical rates in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico were around 30¢/kwh prior to the hurricane. I understand that Solar City charges 6.66¢/kwh when they own the panels. To make this work, you would need the Tesla Powerwall too. So perhaps this could come in at 12¢ per kwh. Could be great for all. Replacing unreliable electrical grid with residential and community solar in a timely fashion would be an amazing achievement.

And then you get to sell the solar panels again the next time there's a direct hit from a tropical cyclone!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Or not:

Antigua's well-built PV systems sustain impact of hurricane Irma

Antigua at only 50 km distance from the eye of the storm and well within the devastating display of natural forces suffered less damage, but was affected seriously as well with sustained winds exceeding at times 275 km/h.

This devastating natural disaster has even more underlined the importance of a diligent and reliable approach in terms of planning and installing PV solar systems in hurricane-prone regions.

Since the clean energy provider PV Energy has already beforehand adapted the design, mounting and structuring of its solar power racking systems and solar panels to the potential risk of hurricanes almost all solar systems designed and installed by PV Energy sustained the devastation through Irma.

Designed to withstand hurricanes of up to the category 4, each of the 55 solar power installations on Antigua, ranging from several kWp to the 3 MWp and 4 MWp utility scale installations at the international airport of Antigua and in the Lavington/Bethesda region with a total of 38,000 panels mounted, have survived hurricane Irma without damages or substantial system failures.

One of these PV systems, based on a 50 kWp sun2safe hybrid converter, was even able to generate 25% of its maximum expected performance during the worst hours of the hurricane, thanks to its proprietary MPPT tracking algorithm which is able to optimise the production even under extreme weather conditions.

"This experience confirms our commitment to supplying tier one equipment only and adopt proven, reliable and diligently calculated and designed engineering solutions", states PV Energy's Chief Technical Officer Thomas Beindorf.

Load test for racking systems, ramming depths for the pillars of the substructures as well as reinforced frames and modules are just a few key factors to be considered for planning and installing robust solar energy plants.

I thought solar city only did rooftop solar, not these types of heavy infrastructure deployments?

Also if there were hurricane force sustained winds in antigua you should tell the national hurricane center because they'd surely like to know about it.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/031543.shtml

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Weird that links to the nhc don't work well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You are looking at the wrong hurricane, Irma hit Antigua with hurricane force winds (although nowhere near as strong as places that received a direct hit like Barbuda)

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

Ooops, yeah, just the edge. Most of the island is not shown as receiving hurricane strength winds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“VideoGameVet”" post="“476893430”"]
Supplies sitting on the docks because no one planned the logistics of moving them to where they are needed.

What should have happened was to dispatch the Army Corps of Engineers to get the roads and bridges working ASAP, the dispatch of truck drivers (yes they didn’t have drivers) and meanwhile on THE DAY AFTER THE HURRICANE get choppers in there to deliver emergency supplies.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/us/puerto-rico-fema-response/index.html
[/quote]

I assume USAF can't airlift in heavy trucks because their entire airlift capability is being overused for the forever war?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eNeMeE posted:

Hail the eighteenth Satan.

Trump taps climate skeptic to lead White House environment office

This is fine. Everything is fine.

Maybe if we tell Trump that if he removes enough CO2 he can call it the greatest big league oxygenation event.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm surprised that not more people are freaking out over the fact that the air, that we all share and can't avoid existing in, is slowly being poisoned by ever-increasing CO2 emissions to the point that we will feel it and it will retard our cognitive ability.

We’ll just all wear masks hooked up to oxygen concentrators.

Mad max fury road is a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rime posted:

The extinction of most, if not all, life on earth.

You need to at least qualify this with “complex life” because simple life survived the late heavy bombardment. Complex life survived the K-T extinction. Life will survive on earth no matter what we do to it with our current level of technology.

The Earth may no longer be compatible with human life, but even that is a pretty hot take.