Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Santiago (Chile), just broke a 101 year record for december, 37.3°C.

I remember when we used to live here 20 years ago and there were droughts (we left and came back around 4 years ago), I suspect its going to become the norm in the next few years. Sadly, no one I tell gives a gently caress.

Also, there are a shitload of fires around here, and its getting worse every year. Again, no one gives a gently caress, no money to buy firefighting equipment. Firefighters dont even get paid here! Each firestation has to send their teams out on the street several times a year to ask for spare change just to keep their poo poo running. Its great and wont be a problem at all!

Bolivia has been put under a national emergency for a month because the whole country is running out (or ran out already) or water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

In other news, fires are up 1000% in Chile this year compared to last year, and its been only 3 weeks! There will be nothing left by march.

And yet the government wont invest in firefighting planes, not even 1, because lol gently caress you.

We dont even pay firefighters, its all voluntary work. Need a new firetruck? Gotta go out on the street and beg for donations!

Chile prides to be on the way to be a developed country, but sorry, I've been here for over 25 years and I can say its a 3rd world shithole. Probably not as bad as others, but not by much.

edit: I think that sounded harsh, I do love the place, its a beautiful country with lots to see, but the people make it a shithole.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 20, 2017

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Pretty sure firefighting planes have an extremely limited role and a bad cost/benefit ratio.

Knowing your country's geography, and knowing that it burns every drat year in the same way and causes huge losses to both people and livestock, you'd think it would be worth it by now. Many national parks have burned badly, one of the trees that only grows in this region (Araucaria), is going extint from the climate change and the rest are burning down. It takes one tree around 1000 years to fully develop. Its the national tree! I'd think saving one of your country's simbol might be worth a plane or two.

From what I understand, the plane itself doesnt fight the fire directy, but rather give coverage/support for the firefighters on the ground who are digging firewalls and whatever else they do to stop the spread of the fire.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Record heat high at Ahvaz, Iran, 53,7C° with peak humidity in the 70's.

quote:

The heat index – a measure of how hot it feels factoring in the humidity – exceeded 140F. This combination of heat and humidity was so extreme that it was beyond levels the heat index was designed to compute.

lol nice

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I've been telling my friends about climate change for the last few years, but they dont seem to care. My family doesnt care. My girlfriend asks me why I bother, since its inevitable and I can't control it.

My hope now is that our AI gets sufficiently smart so someone somewhere can fill it with climate related stuff and ask it to come up with solutions.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Larsen c finally broke.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

So, anyone seen Chasing Coral (its on Netflix)?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just send a nuke to make a hole in the ozone layer and let all that CO2 escape into space. Quick and easy!

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Was just coming here to post this.

I hate this timeline.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I'm no scientist, but I'd say it could go something like:

- earth warms, ice melts, shitload of mercury leaks into the oceans
- sea creatures absorb this mercury
- people catch these sea creatures and eat them, consuming high levels of mercury
- people die of poisoning, babies are born with lots of problems (https://www.epa.gov/mercury/health-effects-exposures-mercury)

On the positive side, it says this will be a problem during the next century, most sea life will probably die out this century so it wont really be a problem :v:

I guess its just another thing to add to the 'oh crap' pile.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I've seen discussion about a blog from Argentinia's economic collapse. Did anyone ever find it?

People were discussing how winners were communities (rural towns and urban neighborhoods) and losers were loners, especially rich loners in compounds whom raiders would hit like pinatas.

I have this blog I added to my favorites, probably from this thread. Not sure if its the same you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45775309

"This is the moment that we will remember; this is the year when the turning point happened"

We are so hosed