Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Not entirely on topic with the discussion, but I'm actually in the process of (hopefully) pivoting my research into climate change. I'm a physicist with experience in a variety of subjects, but more relevant for what I'm looking at is my experience in machine learning and non-stationary signal processing. The relatively new field of climate informatics appears to be, in part, an attempt at examining smaller scale effects of climate change. I want to get a handle on the variety of measurements, projects, and their significance with respect to the issue. I'm all ears for some technical overviews on remote sensing projects and a sort of catalog of observations akin to what is offered here: https://drclimate.wordpress.com/obs-catalogue/ if anyone has any suggestions. I am hoping to write a proposal around this time next year.

Opportunities appear limited at the moment (as with everything in academia it seems) but I have applied to some temporary positions with NASA.

Additionally, it appears that very few people have a background in energy and climate simultaneously. I am kind of aiming to become that person as my previous experience is in renewable energy research (carbon nanostructures, solar, storage). I'd love to see some resources from people with that perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

I've been looking at getting into a sort of science advising with emphasis on climate and energy. Part of that process is looking at existing advisers and holy poo poo most of them in the areas I've looked at are basically gas, coal, and oil people. It's to the point where I have to be careful about describing my positions and career desires because "energy adviser" is a trigger word for oil executive in some people's mind.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Those are both good suggestions. The environmental and green also has some odd conflation about it too though, with a common emphasis (this is all anecdotal, I admit) on being anti-nuclear. I actually heard a guy a few years ago calling himself an environmental policy adviser. He worked with Mitch McConnell IIRC and was a coal guy.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Some years ago I received a death threat over some very minor, very specific, nonsense that wormed it's way through the media like that comic describes. It's amazing that they had the motivation to look at the original author's name, pick one out, get an email address, etc, but not read the very simply abstract.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'm not going to give all the details but it was something along the lines of "you are trying to destroy the industry which powers this nation, liberals liek (this typo was there) you must be silenced, you will be stopped, i will seek you out (exact phrasing)"

Years later I'm still waiting on some obese moron on a rascal with a Gadsen flag to show up and try to back over me. *beep, beep, beep* "I'll kill you!!!"

I didn't (and still don't) think it's worth taking seriously. The particular work was on making the transparent electrode element of a solar cell with materials that aren't FTO or ITO (Fluorine or Indium Tin Oxide). It was a super minor contribution, in a mediocre journal, pushed by a mediocre lab to mediocre university PR office into a mediocre local media outlet. Some piece of poo poo undergrad (at the time) is the nation's number one energy job threat. Clearly.

I want my death threats to be poetic and written well. Those will go on my CV.

In all seriousness I gotta stop generalizing people like that. This person was probably impacted by the coal mines drying up or something.

Also I'm not a liberal, I'm a leftist :smuggo:

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Speaking of leftism, I'm curious what you all think of this article, "Why Open Markets are our Best Hope in Tackling Climate Change": http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/06/01/why-open-markets-are-our-best-hope-in-tackling-climate-change/

Climate Home or something tweeted it. I'm skeptical of all of these Climate X news aggregator groups. Pretty sure they contribute nothing and are trying to make a buck.

I'm skeptical when anyone states that "hey, let the markets solve the problem" and the article seems to be primarily concerned with measuring things via money -- with the exception of global transport emissions.

quote:

First, there must be an end to trade distortions that enable unsustainable activities or result in unnecessary waste. Fossil fuel-subsidies have no place in a climate-friendly economy and should be eliminated without undue delay.

At the same time, we must work to make trade more efficient overall. Research shows, for instance, that streamlining customs procedures—through so-called “trade facilitation” reforms—could make a significant dent in global transport emissions which today account for almost a quarter of greenhouse gas output.

Report: G7 leaders set 2025 deadline to scrap fossil fuel subsidies

Second, there is real potential to enhance the positive contribution that trade can make to speeding emissions reductions and building climate resilience.

Total global trade in environmental goods, such as wind turbines and solar panels, amounts to US$1trillion according to some estimates and is growing fast. But tariffs on some of these products are as high as 45%.

Eliminating these needless taxes at the world’s borders should be viewed as an overarching priority to speed the flow of green technologies to the places in the world that need them most.

The good news is that over 40 governments are currently negotiating a new agreement to cut tariffs on environmental goods under the auspices of the World Trade Organization (WTO).

Many thorny issues in these negotiations remain: from what products should be classified as “environmentally friendly”, through to how such an agreement can be future-proofed given the dizzy pace of technological change.

Bolding mine. One thorny issue that is never brought up by these guys is the other dimension to free trade agreements -- their effects on jobs.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Really, is Megan McArdle the best you can do?

Puuhhhh-lease.

The science is very clear. VERY. clear.

Sorry it wasn't clear enough for noted Libertarian Megan McArdle .

Her entire article reads like a giant shifting goal post.
For bonus laughs, here's her article on Competitive Enterprise Institute for being subpoenaed for misleading people on climateology:
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-04-08/subpoenaed-into-silence-on-global-warming

:qq:

Megan is very wishy washy. She jumps between saying she supports efforts on Climate Change, to denouncing investigations into groups with known agenda's against climatology groups.

Like a true Libertarian.

"The science isn't wrong, but it's totally wrong. Why are you guys raising the alarm and calling out think tanks with ties to Petroleum Companies? C'mon guys, don't be dicks. Why can't the free market and climate work together?"

Good break down. There is a decent cadre of people on twitter (Adam Johnson comes to mind) who call out people in the media for doing stupid poo poo like this regarding (usually) politically oriented topics. Need more of the same on climate and other scientific areas.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Odonata posted:

Oddly aggressive, awesome poem

:wow:

Any good sources on the lifecycle of natural gas plants, including the fracking aspect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you mean a life cycle analysis of the emissions of a plant or the actual capital lifecycle of the plant (construction, o&m, decommissioning)?

Emissions cycle from supply to production point, sorry.

Although I guess the capital lifecycle is kind of interesting too.