Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It was probably a signed integer overflow is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ThePagey posted:

So this question is going to be pretty vague, if only because I have literally 0 experience with the practical application of things beyond theory at this point and am going to be spending the next few months learning as I go, but I'm transitioning into a new role modernizing small business' security solutions and am curious what you guys think the best practices to implement might be. Assume I'm a complete loving idiot, if you don't mind (because I am),

I'm mostly looking for a suite of solutions that'll cover most of the things they'll need, given that most of the systems I've seen in small businesses pretty much boil down to what you'd find in a tech illiterate SOHO, things like fresh out of the box firewalls, factory setting routers, no intrusion detection software, etc etc.

This is probably a pretty broad question, but I trust you guys (lol) more than I trust just loving about on the internet looking for the best solutions blindly, so any help would be appreciated.

ETA: Also if anyone has any links or something that might be useful instead, I'll totally take those too.

Also ETA: I figure it's probably a good idea to give some context into what I'm familiar with. I've done IT administration with small businesses before in smaller roles, though it's mostly boiled down to building and configuring desktops, simple networks, and pretty simple help desk style troubleshooting. Tier 1 dabbling in more specialized stuff. I'm currently in a degree program for Cyber Security and Information Assurance, which is why I say I understand most of the theory and some of the fundamentals, though I haven't had any practical experience configuring secure environments just yet.

I've recently gotten some pretty dope offers from some friends-of-friends to do some IT work for them, and figure this is a good way to get some of that practical training, but seeing as they handle things like social security numbers and do credit checks, I don't want to just run in without doing research first and end up getting them hosed over.

I figure, bare minimum, I need to have a conversation with them about the basics of social engineering and best practices they can perform without much issue (like password strength, privacy filters, locking their loving computer screen when they step away), but seeing as most of these people fall into the "Click the phishing link because it offers to save them money" category of internet user, I want to try and make it as hands-off and idiot-proof as possible.

Honestly? Look at maybe getting Office365 E5 licenses and going full cloud based. You get so many simple-to-use DLP tools in a turnkey manner, and Defender ATP is maybe the most turn-key-see-results pseudo-SIEM/automated-DFIR tool you can buy right now if you're completely in a M365 environment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have hosed around enough with a client totally in 365 to know that, especially for someone with zero starting experience, your quickest path to passable defence is going to be to use a cloud environment that already does most of the hardest work (building detection response orchestration flows, consuming logs from your desktop and server fleet and actually building out decent alarms and investigation views with them, securing email, securing file sharing and implementing conditional access, MFA....)

....for you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Triple post, but at best all that one person can do by themselves is set up a bunch of security products that do jackshit with each other, get old, and utterly fail to secure the environment against anything more intricate than a dictionary attack against your file shares.

Security requires buy-in and experience from every element of your infra team: your network employee, your storage and backup employee, every server toucher and developer, etc. If you don't have that, move to a every-feature-you-could-need cloud and call it a day.

Or just keep pretending that a perimeter VPN and an unpatched ASA make you secure.

If I woke up one morning and found myself magically in your position and couldn't quit, I would immediately want everything valuable in a cloud that by default is significantly more secure than what I've got presently, because suddenly the greatest bottleneck is my focus and attention. I don't have the ability to stop time so I can spend months and years learning the environment then building out desktop security logging, then bring network logging into it, then auto response orchestration with whatever hodgepodge of IdP exists, then build out MFA and maybe integrate it with a few LoB apps that were first implemented on this side of 9/11, then write clear practices/policies for the server touchers and devs, then audit those regularly to get them actually followed, then visit network/perimeter security and learn the network was built around the assumption that bad actors would be stopped at the perimeter firewall, then harass devs about getting code review and unit testing up to a standard higher than "well, we're done when it runs," then finally have a moment to open a single incident investigation out of 658,971,201 false alarms created since I had to divert my attention completely away from whatever stupid SIEM I set up at the beginning of all of this that's been utterly incapable of providing any value whatsoever because I hadn't had time to log into it since before my great-grandchildren were born and the nobody else feels any responsibility for keeping it up to speed.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 21, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A paper on Reverse Engineering x86 Processor Microcode [PDF] has just been published, which may be of interest to some of you.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
This blog post might align with the interests of this thread.

Vectorized Emulation: Hardware accelerated taint tracking at 2 trillion instructions per second

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thank goodness a person no longer has to manually inspect all those taints.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It’s the 10 year anniversary of MS07-067.

https://twitter.com/Trustwave/status/1054842313955074053

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What would be a reasonably secure way to do email that does not require much from the receiver (no PGP etc)? I want to send an email and not have it be easily traceable back to me as the the sender for a third party monitoring the receiver. I don't mind if the receiver knows who I am or anything.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 26, 2018

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Biomute posted:

What would be a reasonably secure way to do email that does not require much from the receiver (no PGP etc)? I want to send an email and not have it be easily traceable back to me as the the sender for a third party monitoring the receiver. I don't mind if the receiver knows who I am or anything.

Public computer where you sign up for a free email account?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rafikki posted:

Yeah, that works. Thanks!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

rafikki posted:

Reported for cyber terrorism

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s the 10 year anniversary of MS07-067.

gently caress Trustwave.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't touch computers in the United States

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Don't touch computers

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, this is promising. Now if all the other poo poo-tier AV engines would follow suit, I'd be much more comfortable with AV in general.

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1055876544768425985

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Volguus posted:

gently caress Trustwave.

I'd like to hear more

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

rafikki posted:

I'd like to hear more

I interviewed with them. Really incompetent-looking interviewers. That's fine, they are not probably my future bosses. Before starting the interview process salary promised was around X$. After the interview process I get an offer with X-10%. Say what? "Oh, you get 10% in bonuses if the company meets its targets. It has always happened in the last 10 years. "

Thanks, but no loving thanks.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

rafikki posted:

free email account

I notice that a few email services now require phone number verification unless they can otherwise associate you with a known identity via tracking cookies. Protonmail has completely anonymous registration, though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

EssOEss posted:

I notice that a few email services now require phone number verification unless they can otherwise associate you with a known identity via tracking cookies. Protonmail has completely anonymous registration, though.

Probably because if they didn’t, they’d be blacklisted, and a lot of their outgoing e-mails would wind up in the receivers’ spam boxes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Double Punctuation posted:

Probably because if they didn’t, they’d be blacklisted, and a lot of their outgoing e-mails would wind up in the receivers’ spam boxes.

Does that happen to Protonmail?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Biomute posted:

Go the Maniford route, don't send the email, just save it in the drafts folder and send the login information instead :grin:

Is not securing the email per se, but if you're just shooting to send it from an alternative email address, VPN service to mask your public IP + private browsing session (not cookied and traceable back to you), + temporary email service like inboxbear, or of all things, Yahoo aliases/disposable email addresses. The Yahoo one is actually fairly decent, use a Google voice number or something to register for the Yahoo email.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Go the Maniford route, don't send the email, just save it in the drafts folder and send the login information instead :grin:

Is not securing the email per se, but if you're just shooting to send it from an alternative email address, VPN service to mask your public IP + private browsing session (not cookied and traceable back to you), + temporary email service like inboxbear, or of all things, Yahoo aliases/disposable email addresses. The Yahoo one is actually fairly decent, use a Google voice number or something to register for the Yahoo email.
This is all extremely potent bad advice, especially if you're worried about LE. You want a shared machine on a shared network with a payment system that cannot track you.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Just use tor and yandex mail (no phone verification)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just don't do crime.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Snail Mail

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There are no crimes involved. It just seems like a conscientious way of doing it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Biomute posted:

There are no crimes involved. It just seems like a conscientious way of doing it.

:lol: suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

quote:

I want to send an email and not have it be easily traceable back to me as the the sender for a third party monitoring the receiver.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

not only is it bad advice this'll get flagged even faster - there's automated intel systems to alert on this very specific activity chain

maybe don't my_crimes.txt this thread imo

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CLAM DOWN posted:

Okay, you got me. Cobra has been foiled again.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're probably just trying to give someone a heads up that they're being cheated on but want to remain anonymous.

Although thinking about it, just using a junk account you make at home is sufficient unless you're trying to warn Melania that Donald's been cheating and don't want the feds to get you.

Inept fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 1, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inept posted:

They're probably just trying to give someone a heads up that they're being cheated on but want to remain anonymous.

Although thinking about it, just using a junk account you make at home is sufficient unless you're trying to warn Melania that Donald's been cheating and don't want the feds to get you.

Seriously, unless the person you're sending this to can subpoena your provider (and had the interest to do so) you're probably fine. If you need to whistle blow the feds go show up to a local ACLU office in person and ask them to contact the EFF for you to help or something.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Volmarias posted:

Seriously, unless the person you're sending this to can subpoena your provider (and had the interest to do so) you're probably fine. If you need to whistle blow the feds go show up to a local ACLU office in person and ask them to contact the EFF for you to help or something.

For everywhere in between, there's the stuff on https://www.privacytools.io/. There's a big assortment of recommended email providers. ProtonMail is, unsurprisingly, at the top of the list.

I keep meaning to make a thread about how to be all sneaky-like with your browsing -- blocking ad trackers, and foiling browser fingerprinting, and how to use VPNs and whatnot. But, you know, :effort:.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

I keep meaning to make a thread about how to be all sneaky-like with your browsing -- blocking ad trackers, and foiling browser fingerprinting, and how to use VPNs and coffeeshops and whatnot. But, you know, :effort:.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

not only is it bad advice this'll get flagged even faster - there's automated intel systems to alert on this very specific activity chain

maybe don't my_crimes.txt this thread imo

I was just being facetious... Though, in all fairness, the investigators only found out about Maniford doing that after the recipient confessed while being interviewed, right?

evil_bunnY posted:

This is all extremely potent bad advice, especially if you're worried about LE. You want a shared machine on a shared network with a payment system that cannot track you.

With enough threads, you can trace nearly anything back. Your shared machine could have a session logged and traced back to a hotel room stay or library card or credit card/security footage at an internet cafe, etc, it's just an extra investigative step.

Just out of curiosity though, would it be device information collected by the browser or traffic collected by the ISP that would be considered traceable in this case? The google number would be an easy trace, that was bad advice. Or potentially the VPN service provider collecting information (since it should otherwise be encrypted from the ISP)? I'm just curious where that chain specifically unravels. From personal experience, I've noticed different pricing on airlines while using VPN + incognito, as well as Google's captcha not being happy when it doesn't have adequate cookie/screenshot information to identify you.

Unless it's crimes worthy of federal investigation, I'm presuming most LE is still pretty unsophisticated, considering the volume of death threats and blatant criminal activity occurring on a daily basis that gets ignored from LE, even when personally asked to step in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was just being facetious... Though, in all fairness, the investigators only found out about Maniford doing that after the recipient confessed while being interviewed, right?

With enough threads, you can trace nearly anything back. Your shared machine could have a session logged and traced back to a hotel room stay or library card or credit card/security footage at an internet cafe, etc, it's just an extra investigative step.

Just out of curiosity though, would it be device information collected by the browser or traffic collected by the ISP that would be considered traceable in this case? The google number would be an easy trace, that was bad advice. Or potentially the VPN service provider collecting information (since it should otherwise be encrypted from the ISP)? I'm just curious where that chain specifically unravels. From personal experience, I've noticed different pricing on airlines while using VPN + incognito, as well as Google's captcha not being happy when it doesn't have adequate cookie/screenshot information to identify you.

Unless it's crimes worthy of federal investigation, I'm presuming most LE is still pretty unsophisticated, considering the volume of death threats and blatant criminal activity occurring on a daily basis that gets ignored from LE, even when personally asked to step in.

And now you've got me thinking extra paranoid and devious. Let's say you were going to do something radioactively illegal on the internet, and expected the entire government intelligence apparatus to spare no expense tracking you down. Here's the most cautious and risk-averse method I can come up with:

Buy a new laptop with cash and remove the hard drive. Install your favorite Linux (encrypted, of course) to an SD card or USB stick, and boot from that. Install VirtualBox and make a new VM that's running something reasonably common like Ubuntu. Leave absolutely everything, right down to the screen resolution, at the default settings, so that when you do your crime, there's nothing even resembling a unique fingerprint. Now set up your laptop's actual OS to use a good VPN -- you would of course not tell the VPN your identity and would pay for it by mailing cash in an envelope (using small bills that you got in change somewhere; bills out of an ATM might be logged), and only ever connect to the VPN via Tor). Now take your laptop to a coffeeshop that's not too close to home (if you're driving, park some ways off), get a drink (not your usual!) and pay with cash, then sit down, connect to the wifi (spoofing your MAC address, natch -- better still, use a USB wifi adapter that you bought with cash, and still spoof the MAC), fire up the VPN, start the VM, (double-checking to make sure it's going out via the the laptop's Tor/VPN connection and it isn't using anything like a virtual adapter to connect itself directly to the coffeeshop wifi) and do your crime. Go home, overwrite the USB stick you booted off of with random data before physically destroying it. If you used a USB wifi adapter, destroy that as well. For maximum security, disassemble and destroy the entire laptop.

...Yeah, this is probably about eight more layers of security than actual international spies use. But it's a fun thought experiment. :tinfoil::respek::science:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i don't know where to begin on all the holes in that plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hehehe holes