Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Cheers guys, I'm being met with "Why are you even raising this? It's not a problem" and "The vendor says they wont do anything so why don't you trust them?" It doesnt sit right with me and it sounds like it shouldn't sit right with anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're trusting (probably) any random employee at the vendor with full unsupervised access to your AD

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Beccara posted:

Cheers guys, I'm being met with "Why are you even raising this? It's not a problem" and "The vendor says they wont do anything so why don't you trust them?" It doesnt sit right with me and it sounds like it shouldn't sit right with anyone

Seriously, you should follow up with the fact that, if your access is unaudited, YOU have too much access and need to implement auditing. If they insist on going through at least protect yourself and your company by ensuring your backups are good, working, and frequent as well as auditing. That way when their social media intern accidentally your domain, you can prove it was them and fix the problem they caused.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Tooting my own horn again here:
https://blog.keigher.ca/2018/03/performing-your-own-dentistry.html

So yeah. We just finished our migration off of Splunk Cloud. I will not and cannot recommend it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lain Iwakura posted:

So yeah. We just finished our migration off of Splunk Cloud. I will not and cannot recommend it.

I dug the windows nt screenshot. Nice.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

I dug the windows nt screenshot. Nice.

I wanted to be cheeky so I looked for something antiquated.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

keseph posted:

If you were designing your own password manager from the ground up, what would be your most critical feature(s)?

My company has an annual program where you/your team can take a week to work on any project your heart desires, so long as you present the project at the end. One of my security developer colleagues wants to write a password manager for said project and the more input the better, naturally. I've already given my list, but I would appreciate any useful, professional opinions and I will deliver them as community input -- via PM if you don't want to clutter up the thread.

Yes, I know this largely goes against the very name of the thread, but there would be a proper SDLC review team if it looks promising enough to take out of incubation.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled QRadar grousing.
To extend the very good but somewhat cryptic 'don't roll your own crypto' answer you got earlier, the original 'cryptographic right answers' recommendations by Colin Percival, FreeBSDs security officer emeritus and maker of tarsnap, have recently been updated. For your use-case, scrypt is the recommendation, which hasn't really changed.

In other news, a new botnet, this time with advanced capabilities has been outed, and it can do almost everything. It's kinda cool, in a very scary way.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 24, 2018

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Beccara posted:

The issue is not simply trusting the people at the vendor. When they want to implement such a shoddy and dangerous update method it is an indication of incompetence and you can't trust that they are able to protect their own systems. They would be a direct route to the heart of your systems and probably many others. When the wrong people learn about this setup the vendor becomes a juicy target for adversaries. Your company may not be a big enough target to spend such effort for hacking, but sound like the vendor would certainly be and your company and numerous others will go down with them.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Lain Iwakura posted:

I’m currently tearing my hair out dealing with Splunk cloud support, the one saving grace of Cloud is hybrid search. Having an on-prem search head at least gives you some additional flexibility :argh:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Softcox posted:

I’m currently tearing my hair out dealing with Splunk cloud support, the one saving grace of Cloud is hybrid search. Having an on-prem search head at least gives you some additional flexibility :argh:

Cloud support's SLA is absolute garbage. The amount of time it takes me now to install an app in contrast to how long it took when they managed it for me is absolutely asinine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beccara posted:

At this point they've made their decision so in your shoes I would just say "I can't in good conscience approve this so if you really want to proceed then it has to be okayed at a higher level".

If you're lucky enough to have a structure where that can happen. Ideally InfoSec doesn't report in to the same C as IT, but I suspect that's not the case in a lot of smaller orgs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

At this point they've made their decision so in your shoes I would just say "I can't in good conscience approve this so if you really want to proceed then it has to be okayed at a higher level".

If you're lucky enough to have a structure where that can happen. Ideally InfoSec doesn't report in to the same C as IT, but I suspect that's not the case in a lot of smaller orgs.

Yeah, if there’s any way this can blow back on you definitely create a CYA email trail.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Softcox posted:

Yeah its _infuriating_.

I don't know about hybrid search with cloud; what did having the second search head give you? I'm trying to figure out what it would gain me and can't think of anything but I'm guessing that could easily be explained with a "scale" thing.

Lain Iwakura posted:

Cloud support's SLA is absolute garbage. The amount of time it takes me now to install an app in contrast to how long it took when they managed it for me is absolutely asinine.

You migrated to on prem? Were you able to retain the logs from cloud instance? Did they move over to your new cluster or stay in the cloud, accessible but apart from your new cluster?

In about...8 months when we hit the end of the contract with splunk cloud i'm gonna be pushing hard for on prem and am curious about road blocks.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Jowj posted:

You migrated to on prem? Were you able to retain the logs from cloud instance? Did they move over to your new cluster or stay in the cloud, accessible but apart from your new cluster?

In about...8 months when we hit the end of the contract with splunk cloud i'm gonna be pushing hard for on prem and am curious about road blocks.

Yes, yes, and to answer your last question: we hired a contractor to create a hybrid search and then once the new indexers were in place we had the pre-existing data migrated to an S3 bucket and then restored via that. It took us about two months to get it down right but minus some hitches with our local forwarders, everything went flawlessly. What made it not suck so much was the fact that we were still going to have it all in AWS but 100% in our control otherwise.

If I ever get it cleared by my director, I'll probably blog about it.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Lain Iwakura posted:

Yes, yes, and to answer your last question: we hired a contractor to create a hybrid search and then once the new indexers were in place we had the pre-existing data migrated to an S3 bucket and then restored via that. It took us about two months to get it down right but minus some hitches with our local forwarders, everything went flawlessly. What made it not suck so much was the fact that we were still going to have it all in AWS but 100% in our control otherwise.

Dope. That process doesn't seem like murder, and my env would only have like 6-8 TB to move around.

Lain Iwakura posted:

If I ever get it cleared by my director, I'll probably blog about it.
If it ever gets cleared i'd def read it, that'd be hella useful. Splunk turned into an "I own it" but I lack the background so it's a lot of figuring poo poo out from scratch.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Jowj posted:

Dope. That process doesn't seem like murder, and my env would only have like 6-8 TB to move around.

Compressed, our data was about 32 TB. We do about 150-200 GB/day but have clearance up to 300 GB. My new project starting sometime this summer will see me collect way more data than before.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beccara posted:

LocalSystem level access on a PDC
lol no

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hey were we just talking about how awesome QRadar is??

https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/3689

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Martytoof posted:

I always love when topical posts like this happen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

:lol: This industry owns

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
https://www.securityweek.com/russia-asks-apple-help-block-telegram

mmmmhmmmmmmmmmm

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

I wonder what their plan is. It's not really realistic to block Android or Apple phones altogether as that would probably hurt the economy. What kind of sanctions could Russia apply to coerce these companies to comply? It's not like they could put the execs there in jail like they do for the other companies, because then the companies could have the sanctions of their own and pull out from the country altogether (and once more hurting Russian's economy).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The FSB leaks Tim Cook's homosexuality during WWDC, crippling the company at a critical moment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/neopg_/status/1001424463815208961

:cripes:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BGP really needs some form of overhaul.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/AaronToponce/status/997831665366876163

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It seems inappropriate for a mod to doxx both my home and my corporate security strategy in one drat post

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe you should have better infosec then

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Which one of you

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This seems like the thread to ask since in the past the Android thread has been no help. Is there a way to pull all of the data off of an old android phone and android-formatted SD card using Windows or Linux? I feel like there should be because of the old adage about physical access meaning you will eventually have data access, but I don’t know anything about that sort of thing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This seems like the thread to ask since in the past the Android thread has been no help. Is there a way to pull all of the data off of an old android phone and android-formatted SD card using Windows or Linux? I feel like there should be because of the old adage about physical access meaning you will eventually have data access, but I don’t know anything about that sort of thing.
What kind of data are you asking about?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've used ADB for this purpose in the past, first writeup on google: https://www.androidauthority.com/android-customization-transfer-files-adb-push-adb-pull-601015/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On Android devices by default the SD card is formatted FAT32 so you can just put it in a PC and read it straight up. Those with rooted phones also often added a second EXT4 partition and used something like APPS2SD to link it in with their system, but again that'll be readable on any Linux system or with addon drivers on Windows/Mac.

Newer Android devices running 6.0 or newer have an optional mode called adoptable storage where the SD card is formatted entirely EXT4 but also encrypted with 128 bit AES. I do not know if there's an easy way to recover the key in these cases, or if it uses standard Linux disk encryption versus some Android-specific system.

As far as reading the entire device, you can usually get a lot with ADB but newer versions have locked this down. If the device has an unlocked bootloader you can replace the recovery with something like TWRP and do a full device backup to SD or USB storage.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We don't take the philosophy that physical access means data access.

You can use adb backup to get data from apps which have opted in to being backed up but not all the data.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well, if it isn't FSLabs, up to their old bullshit...

Nice!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PS - I am aware of the malware in the past. This is unrelated.

:thunk:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Schadenboner posted:

PS - I am aware of the malware in the past. This is unrelated.

:thunk:

Oh, I have such sights to show you...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

From the Flightsim Thread:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Space Gopher posted:

The equivalent in a web context is Facebook allowing people to deploy random poo poo straight from source control to a public-facing server with a *.facebook.com cert and key.

Doesn’t Facebook do continuous deployment now?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

What kind of data are you asking about?

Contacts / texts / pictures mostly. A lot of contacts and pictures seem to have actually gotten backed up to her Google account, thankfully.

I’ll ask if there’s anything else. My wife’s phone screen got super hosed up and the new phone wants to format the SD card rather than read it.

It’s a Moto G4. She wouldn’t have set up any additional security. She refused to even add a PIN to unlock the screen. Thankfully this new one has a fingerprint reader, so maybe she’ll actually use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t Facebook do continuous deployment now?

CD shouldn't let anybody go straight from a dev branch, all the way out to production, without any checks. There should be human code reviews and multiple layers of automated tests. Merging to master might end up automatically initiating a global prod deploy, but any sane CI/CD pipeline will make sure that there's an audit trail and quality gates before that merge happens, and more quality gates between the merge and the final big push.

If a single person can push random poo poo (as in, potentially untested or failing code - including code with obvious or maliciously placed vulnerabilities) all the way through your release process, then you've got a deeply dysfunctional environment.

Assuming FB hasn't overhauled their web release pipeline since https://code.facebook.com/posts/270314900139291/rapid-release-at-massive-scale/ , it looks like they have a robust quality gate system. They run automated tests before allowing code into master, then go through a couple of canary stages (employees-only, then 2% of global traffic) before the whole world gets a given quasi-CD release. I'm guessing that there's some level of two-person-rule code review in the merge to master, too.