Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I doubt you're worse than me. My whole approach:

hack at the keyboard until it works
does it work every time (trap exceptions)
repeat last step until it runs all the way
am I getting results that look like they might be correct
Done.

Solicit input from team members? NO BECAUSE I SAID IT WAS DONE

This is generally my approach except that I don't get input from team members because no-one else cares about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jedi425 posted:

What's the attribute called? (When I guessed, I didn't know you'd found it in AD. :v: )

LOL, no, let's just say a publicly readable attribute with a specific name, typically containing text, and certainly not meant for this kind of thing. WTF?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

AlternateAccount posted:

LOL, no, let's just say a publicly readable attribute with a specific name, typically containing text, and certainly not meant for this kind of thing. WTF?

Fair enough. My theory was that someone was trying to do some kind of janky user-certificate authentication thing for a Client VPN, which I’ve only ever seen from the Cisco side of the configuration.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Can anybody give me some insight into their process, policies, and procedures around approving an application for use within their environment? The business side of the house is working on a project with Samsung, and oh boy does Samsung have some lovely, lovely applications. The latest application I've been asked to review for this project is the Samsung CPCex Portal. We've been requested to use CPCex to facilitate transferring working key material and certificates between the two parties. The PM of this project has been contacting me daily asking if I can green-light this application for use.

I have more concerns than I could reasonably list but some of my main gripes are:

1) This is very obviously a legacy application, ActiveX in this year of our lord 2019
2) The documentation is in Korean, and that is all of it.
3) Users must register their endpoints with Samsung
4) If I say "yes" I'm going to have to support this in production and holy poo poo I don't want to do that. The last application I had to review of theirs was Samsung Wormhole and I still have weekly meetings on my calendar for troubleshooting.
5) Seriously, why can't Samsung just use a normal SFTP connection like the rest of our partners.

I've voiced my concerns to my teammates and managers and they won't touch this issue with a 10-foot pole. So here I am, asking strangers on the internet how I should be doing my job.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

This field doesn't operate on your hyperbolic assumptions and biases.

Yes..... but then you see stuff like this:

https://futurism.com/cybersecurity-c-toc-ibm/amp/

taqueso posted:

It's the continue code for the last level of Battle Toads NES.

e: does the trailing == mean anything? I feel like I've seen it before but that's probably my pattern matching in overdrive.

It’s already been answered, but just to elaborate, base 64 encodes characters into blocks of four, hence the equal signs for padding to fill out the last block of four. Whenever you see trailing equal signs like that, it’s usually base64 encoded, which can be decoded with Notepad++. I usually see it through attempts to pass prohibited characters through XSS filters, eg <> or /

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Diametunim posted:

Can anybody give me some insight into their process, policies, and procedures around approving an application for use within their environment? The business side of the house is working on a project with Samsung, and oh boy does Samsung have some lovely, lovely applications. The latest application I've been asked to review for this project is the Samsung CPCex Portal. We've been requested to use CPCex to facilitate transferring working key material and certificates between the two parties. The PM of this project has been contacting me daily asking if I can green-light this application for use.

I have more concerns than I could reasonably list but some of my main gripes are:

1) This is very obviously a legacy application, ActiveX in this year of our lord 2019
2) The documentation is in Korean, and that is all of it.
3) Users must register their endpoints with Samsung
4) If I say "yes" I'm going to have to support this in production and holy poo poo I don't want to do that. The last application I had to review of theirs was Samsung Wormhole and I still have weekly meetings on my calendar for troubleshooting.
5) Seriously, why can't Samsung just use a normal SFTP connection like the rest of our partners.

I've voiced my concerns to my teammates and managers and they won't touch this issue with a 10-foot pole. So here I am, asking strangers on the internet how I should be doing my job.

I guess my question is, what are the consequences if you push back? Because that's a lot of "gently caress off with that poo poo" in there.

If it doesn't matter and they're only looking for a green light and will override your decision anyway, then document the poo poo out of the problems and make sure everyone gets a copy so they're aware of why this is a BAD idea. That way they can't turn around and go "well, you approved this".

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Samsung software is universally terrible. I wouldn't touch it with a mile-long pole.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What CVE scanner are yall running at home? I've just been using nmap --script vuln, but want to update to something more proactive; buddy recommended Qualys Community Edition?

I also had bookmarked openvas from a while back but now that I'm looking at it I dunno where I got that or why it's not on the owasp site... anybody use it?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Proteus Jones posted:

I guess my question is, what are the consequences if you push back? Because that's a lot of "gently caress off with that poo poo" in there.

If it doesn't matter and they're only looking for a green light and will override your decision anyway, then document the poo poo out of the problems and make sure everyone gets a copy so they're aware of why this is a BAD idea. That way they can't turn around and go "well, you approved this".

"I cannot in good conscience approve this application for production use on our domain. You may wish to find another engineer who is more willing to take ownership of the risks associated with this."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

What CVE scanner are yall running at home? I've just been using nmap --script vuln, but want to update to something more proactive; buddy recommended Qualys Community Edition?

I also had bookmarked openvas from a while back but now that I'm looking at it I dunno where I got that or why it's not on the owasp site... anybody use it?

Nessus Home and OpenVAS. Nessus is obviously a bit more user friendly.

You will find different vuln scanners yield different results so I find it better to use both.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Mr. Crow posted:

While I know you're talking about home, something I do want to let everyone know is if you work in an environment that has industrial control equipment, you should never use Nmap or any other vulnerability scanning tool against your real-time equipment. There are stories of people doing this and then having devices seize up two-days later due to some weird memory exhaustion or race condition bug being triggered.

Just advice from the trenches of working in an esoteric world like I have been in. 🙃

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lain Iwakura posted:

While I know you're talking about home, something I do want to let everyone know is if you work in an environment that has industrial control equipment, you should never use Nmap or any other vulnerability scanning tool against your real-time equipment. There are stories of people doing this and then having devices seize up two-days later due to some weird memory exhaustion or race condition bug being triggered.

Just advice from the trenches of working in an esoteric world like I have been in. 🙃
It's mind-boggling just how poorly written these critical infrastructure systems can be. Almost as if there's no liability like there is in every other employment field that deals with critical infrastructure.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's mind-boggling just how poorly written these critical infrastructure systems can be. Almost as if there's no liability like there is in every other employment field that deals with critical infrastructure.

there are perma-starred searches on shodan.io of things like "here's everything running this certain software built for managing power delivery" and its all like, 'we are so hosed as a country'

other countries have the same issue... its just they use different software people here do not know much about

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Azure Sentinel
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-microsoft-azure-sentinel-intelligent-security-analytics-for-your-entire-enterprise/

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Hmmm this doesn't sound half bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Free to beta test!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is a good overview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/sentinel/connect-data-sources

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I saw one earlier this year that searched out other miners by name, killed their process id one by one, and then did some other fun stuff like check system utilization and only run below a certain threshold. I’ll see if I can dig it up, that was just great in so many ways.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Nessus Home and OpenVAS. Nessus is obviously a bit more user friendly.

You will find different vuln scanners yield different results so I find it better to use both.

OpenVAS and Nmap are the two I see most frequently being used on a day to day basis. Golismero is a handy interface for launching OpenVAS and generating reports if you have a Kali VM.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I saw one earlier this year that searched out other miners by name, killed their process id one by one, and then did some other fun stuff like check system utilization and only run below a certain threshold. I’ll see if I can dig it up, that was just great in so many ways.
You may wanna pay a little attention to what's blanked and what isn't blanked. Or not. It's not as if hexidecimals can be translated into IPs or anything like that. Trend Micro certainly doesn't seem to think so.

To address what you said, though: on any FreeBSD system I'm root on, I don't permit any process, jail, user, or login class to run without an rctl(8) rule specified for it. I would assume that Linux has something similar.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I'm not sure what you're responding to, but 194.108.44.53:8161 is what's in the host header. ASCII numbers are themselves plus 0x30.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

D. Ebdrup posted:

You may wanna pay a little attention to what's blanked and what isn't blanked. Or not. It's not as if hexidecimals can be translated into IPs or anything like that. Trend Micro certainly doesn't seem to think so.

To address what you said, though: on any FreeBSD system I'm root on, I don't permit any process, jail, user, or login class to run without an rctl(8) rule specified for it. I would assume that Linux has something similar.

I’m seeing a pcap containing a get put request with the host IP obfuscated along with the C2 server’s malware download link? Same idea as neutering malicious urls with hxxp and [.] and whatnot. If you’re dedicated enough to translate the hex to ascii characters to download the malware, I’m assuming you’re smart enough to sandbox the download to base 64 decode and reverse engineer it, which is why I’m assuming it’s censored.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m seeing a pcap containing a get put request with the host IP obfuscated along with the C2 server’s malware download link? Same idea as neutering malicious urls with hxxp and [.] and whatnot. If you’re dedicated enough to translate the hex to ascii characters to download the malware, I’m assuming you’re smart enough to sandbox the download to base 64 decode and reverse engineer it, which is why I’m assuming it’s censored.
I'm damaged from working as a network administrator, which means I've had to spend years learning to read hexidecimal, so converting like that is trivial - but maybe that is also why I thought it was funny that Trend Micro had to blank out one but not the other. :shrug:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
They blurred out the hex in the actual report. I like that it checks netstat for other specific ip's though, to kill the process. It's like they got a personal grudge w/ other rear end in a top hat miners. Also no worries, I'm certainly brain damaged from writing dsl compilers by now :pwn:

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 1, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If Microsoft can flesh out this Sentinel siem with tons of preconfigured alarms and responses integration with ATP info, hell, more power to 'em.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.pcgamer.com/juggling-passwords-is-a-chore-and-soon-you-might-not-have-to/

Thoughts? Is biometric verification a valid replacement for passwords?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you're going to use a single authentication method, passswords are among the worst you can use.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

biometrics? no, you can't revoke or stop it being cloned

now passwordless auth has its applications if you have a trustworthy way to communicate with the client, but keep in mind it's just shifting the auth flow. it's not a replacement for multi-factor auth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/juggling-passwords-is-a-chore-and-soon-you-might-not-have-to/

Biometrics are usernames, not passwords.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

biometrics? no, you can't revoke or stop it being cloned

now passwordless auth has its applications if you have a trustworthy way to communicate with the client, but keep in mind it's just shifting the auth flow. it's not a replacement for multi-factor auth.

Fair:

quote:

The WebAuthn API allows users to log into websites using biometric security measures, such as fingerprint scanning or facial recognition. It can also be used with FIDO security keys that plug into USB ports, and mobile devices such as smartphones to verify a user's identity.

Sounds like a smart person would use FIDO keys or smartphone verification rather than biometrics.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

PC Gamer is not the best place to get your security news.

The idea isn't to use biometrics as passwords directly.

Instead, you have a strong token you persist onto some secure device - a U2F device, secure enclave in some larger system, etc. Then, you use biometrics to authenticate yourself to the device, which then goes through a mutual authentication process with the website.

The end result is that, to log in, you need to have an enrolled device in your possession, that in turn needs to see your biometric identifier before it will do anything. Somebody with only a perfect image of your fingerprint/retina/whatever won't be able to do anything with it, because they don't have the device that actually has the token. Somebody who pickpockets your device won't be able to do anything with it, barring hardware level insecurity, because they need your biometric identifier to unlock the device. And, a phisher won't be able to trick you into revealing your token, because the device needs to see proof that the system asking for the token is the one that issued it in the first place.

There are a lot of places where weaknesses might theoretically crop up, but the system is way, way better than a username/password combo.

e: I should point out that this is a simplified version of what's actually going on, which is actually based around key exchange. But the core idea remains the same: you use biometrics to authenticate yourself to a device that then has the knowledge to do mutual auth with whoever you're talking to.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 4, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Space Gopher posted:

PC Gamer is not the best place to get your security news.

It's not where I get my security news. It's where I get my PC gaming news. It is also where I first heard of this authentication standard.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it sounds like where you get your security news op

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MFA everything everywhere

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it sounds like where you get your security news op

Take that up with their editorial staff :shrug: I get my security news from the industry people that have been recommended in the thread

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

MFA everything everywhere

We've e-mailed you a security code. Please enter it to continue.

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"I cannot in good conscience approve this application for production use on our domain. You may wish to find another engineer who is more willing to take ownership of the risks associated with this."

This. Cover your rear end.

I'm curious what has transpired in the intervening days between this comment and now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hooray: SPOILER: Speculative Load Hazards Boost Rowhammer and Cache Attacks. :toot:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nalin posted:

We've e-mailed you a security code. Please enter it to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you or a loved one experience side-effects such as an exploding brain, some forms of 2FA may not be right for you. Please consult your doctor.