Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it possible to securely store someone’s past x passwords to prevent them from reusing an old password? The only way I’m thinking it’s somewhat possible would be to assign each user a randomized key (I’m not loving calling it a pepper) and storing it secured separately from the rest of their data, using it on each password before hashing, and then checking their new password against the old hashes by running it through the hash process with the key. Even then, though, there’s a problem. Figure out one of a person’s old passwords, you can figure out the key, then you have all of their past x passwords assuming you have access to the database. Unless you randomize the key every time they do a reset and store the last x keys as well in the same order, again in a separate location from the hashed passwords.

I just ran across a password policy that forbids reusing your last 24(!) passwords, which made me wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it possible to securely store someone’s past x passwords to prevent them from reusing an old password? The only way I’m thinking it’s somewhat possible would be to assign each user a randomized key (I’m not loving calling it a pepper) and storing it secured separately from the rest of their data, using it on each password before hashing, and then checking their new password against the old hashes by running it through the hash process with the key. Even then, though, there’s a problem. Figure out one of a person’s old passwords, you can figure out the key, then you have all of their past x passwords assuming you have access to the database. Unless you randomize the key every time they do a reset and store the last x keys as well in the same order, again in a separate location from the hashed passwords.

I just ran across a password policy that forbids reusing your last 24(!) passwords, which made me wonder.

I would just think they'd keep and compare your previous hashes. Your current password will exist in hashed form, I don't know why you'd go to extra effort to further secure past ones beyond how you store the current.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's two things that generally happen. The first is that the system keeps X number of previous password hashes (salted obviously), and compares against them to make sure they're not being re-used. Losing those are about as bad as losing the live hash so meh, not really any additional exposure there. Password change prompts also typically require you to enter the current password before setting the new one; this gives the system leeway by having the password in plaintext at the moment to compare to see if they're attempt to do some kind of reuse pattern by matching strings in it against each other and rejecting if they're too similar. Then you discard the plaintext when done, you do don't have to come up with some kind of reversible encryption mechanism to do the comparison that may bite you in the rear end down the road if the system is compromised.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Our password policy, and my previous company‘s forbade the previous 6 passwords, and AD enforced it, but I have no idea how AD does it, as I am just a lowly computer toucher.
Which policy, I might add, just results in the same password + a number being used, and the number just iterates until it gets to “6” in our case, and going back to “1”.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah I mean I don't see why you wouldn't just store them exactly like current passwords. The hashes should be secure enough that if the database is breached they can't be reversed.

IMHO you shouldn't be allowed to ever reuse a password, regardless of age. Just add the date you changed it to the end. That's something only you (and maybe system logs) ought to know anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I mean I don't see why you wouldn't just store them exactly like current passwords. The hashes should be secure enough that if the database is breached they can't be reversed.

IMHO you shouldn't be allowed to ever reuse a password, regardless of age. Just add the date you changed it to the end. That's something only you (and maybe system logs) ought to know anyway.

Seems like if you bust a hash and get a password ending in a recent date, you have a pretty good hint at what you should try by brute force. No?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Our password policy, and my previous company‘s forbade the previous 6 passwords, and AD enforced it, but I have no idea how AD does it, as I am just a lowly computer toucher.
Which policy, I might add, just results in the same password + a number being used, and the number just iterates until it gets to “6” in our case, and going back to “1”.
Compares the new password to the old hashes, which is why very minor changes will go through. Good systems will compare the live password to the new one but still can't compare to the older ones (because one way hash).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

Compares the new password to the old hashes, which is why very minor changes will go through. Good systems will compare the live password to the new one but still can't compare to the older ones (because one way hash).

You can hash and save normalized versions too (case folded, for example) to catch more variants of almost-reuse.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

PBS posted:

I would just think they'd keep and compare your previous hashes. Your current password will exist in hashed form, I don't know why you'd go to extra effort to further secure past ones beyond how you store the current.

I know very little about the actual technical aspects of information security (as evidenced by my posts :v:), but wouldn't that require using the same salt every time? You would have to store that somewhere, right? Which means either you have it in the code of the program and use the same salt for everyone, which means if you get one password you get them all, or you have to store an individual salt per person somewhere. Right? If you generated a salt every time someone reset their password, you wouldn't be able to compare the previous ones to the new one.

I mean I guess you could mitigate the first approach by pseudorandomly generating the salt based off of other aspects of the person's profile? Stuff that couldn't be changed. Then if they get one salt they have one person's passwords, and the only way they could reverse engineer the salts would be to put a whole lot of processing power behind figuring out what the algorithm for generating the salt used out of the profile details and how.

This company's security practices are generally a dumpster fire, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do it a bad way, but they also have a few actually good practices and in the onboarding training they teach everyone that password length is more important and effective than adding numbers or special characters in place of letters. Which was a nice surprise. But it's still the place that has all of the administrator credentials for a large chunk of our clients' systems stored in plaintext on Sharepoint.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Admittedly this method would be slow if you used something like BCrypt and you're better off just rate-limiting rather than storing passwords that have been used previously. Force the users to have a half-decent password from the start.

Or maybe y'know don't write your own authentication scheme if at all possible. I am not a fan of suggesting the use of Google, Facebook, Apple, or whatever, but you can at least hand off that problem to them and gain things like 2FA. If it is an internal app, make use of ADFS, AzureFS, LDAP itself, or whatever you use for internal authentication.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ADFS and SAML is my crusade

eventually all services will fall under my identity and authentication management

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

22 Eargesplitten posted:

wouldn't that require using the same salt every time?
no

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you generated a salt every time someone reset their password, you wouldn't be able to compare the previous ones to the new one.
this would be true if you were comparing two hashes with different salts, but fortunately at the time of password change you have access to the new password in plain text, so can compare it to the old hashes (much like you would do at login time, when you have a plaintext password attempt and a saved hash that may or not not be equal)

but you don't have to think about any of this because bcrypt handles the salt for you. you should be treating its output as opaque and not generating or handling the salt directly

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I guess you could mitigate the first approach by pseudorandomly generating the salt based off of other aspects of the person's profile? Stuff that couldn't be changed. Then if they get one salt they have one person's passwords, and the only way they could reverse engineer the salts would be to put a whole lot of processing power behind figuring out what the algorithm for generating the salt used out of the profile details and how.
nah don't do any of this

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Fool posted:

eventually all services will fall under my identity and authentication management

We enshrined this in policy. Any new SaaS application must support SAML. We've now helped 3 small boutique SaaS vendors implement SAML support. Usually we're able to get them to do it for about $2k one-time fee written into the SoW, meeting them half-way on their costs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ranter posted:

We enshrined this in policy. Any new SaaS application must support SAML. We've now helped 3 small boutique SaaS vendors implement SAML support. Usually we're able to get them to do it for about $2k one-time fee written into the SoW, meeting them half-way on their costs.

you are doing the lord's work :911:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

The Fool posted:

I've been barking at vendors that don't provide SAML or AD authentication in their appliances.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My biggest problem are companies that gate SAML behind their highest pricing tier.

E: I also have a problem with a vendor that has an app that integrates with SharePoint but doesn't support modern authentication, therefore MFA doesn't work on their app.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

The Fool posted:

My biggest problem are companies that gate SAML behind their highest pricing tier.

E: I also have a problem with a vendor that has an app that integrates with SharePoint but doesn't support modern authentication, therefore MFA doesn't work on their app.

Those companies should be fired if you’re dealing with them. It is irresponsible of them to do that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I don't disagree, but for a lot of customers things like "security" and "proper authentication" are not desirable, so they don't demand them, and then those things become an afterthought line item rather than a core competency.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

Those companies should be fired if you’re dealing with them. It is irresponsible of them to do that.

To my first complaint, the primary offender is Adobe and as much as I'd like to, we aren't going to be able to get rid of them anytime soon.

To my second complaint, we're working on it, but for now we have an ADFS claims rule that limits logins to the local network only.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

To my first complaint, the primary offender is Adobe and as much as I'd like to, we aren't going to be able to get rid of them anytime soon.

To my second complaint, we're working on it, but for now we have an ADFS claims rule that limits logins to the local network only.

We had an issue with Adobe Acrobat and ADFS due to our non-persistent VDI. They basically stopped offering serial keys with their cloud products, so you have to use their "log into account = licensed" scheme. The problem is that it would intermittently log users out between VDI sessions with no rhyme or reason. Then add in that the user actually had to log in, instead of SSO just logging them in automatically, and it was a huge headache. Users would be prompted for username and password and when they'd enter the username field and tab/click down to password, it would pass them through. Problem with that is users would panic and call because they didn't know their password.

~6 months of troubleshooting with Adobe and they could never figure it out. They also couldn't say that they were working on login-less SSO. The poo poo I had to pull to get us a refund on our yearly subscription so we could outright buy non-cloud licenses was insane. It was one of the dumbest and most painful things I've had to deal with in IT. Their outsources support and "developers" were completely awful and there was no one in North America that knew enough or cared enough to escalate to. I had to threaten our VAR to switch all of our business to another VAR to get it resolved.

[Edit: The authentication would then cause all sorts of awful problems. It would break the Adobe Distiller, even once users got logged into Adobe Acrobat. Same with the PDF preview pane, the browser plugin, etc. gently caress Adobe.]

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

We had an issue with Adobe Acrobat and ADFS due to our non-persistent VDI. They basically stopped offering serial keys with their cloud products, so you have to use their "log into account = licensed" scheme. The problem is that it would intermittently log users out between VDI sessions with no rhyme or reason. Then add in that the user actually had to log in, instead of SSO just logging them in automatically, and it was a huge headache. Users would be prompted for username and password and when they'd enter the username field and tab/click down to password, it would pass them through. Problem with that is users would panic and call because they didn't know their password.

~6 months of troubleshooting with Adobe and they could never figure it out. They also couldn't say that they were working on login-less SSO. The poo poo I had to pull to get us a refund on our yearly subscription so we could outright buy non-cloud licenses was insane. It was one of the dumbest and most painful things I've had to deal with in IT. Their outsources support and "developers" were completely awful and there was no one in North America that knew enough or cared enough to escalate to. I had to threaten our VAR to switch all of our business to another VAR to get it resolved.

[Edit: The authentication would then cause all sorts of awful problems. It would break the Adobe Distiller, even once users got logged into Adobe Acrobat. Same with the PDF preview pane, the browser plugin, etc. gently caress Adobe.]

Do you use fslogix by chance?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We did not. Citrix UPM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

no

this would be true if you were comparing two hashes with different salts, but fortunately at the time of password change you have access to the new password in plain text, so can compare it to the old hashes (much like you would do at login time, when you have a plaintext password attempt and a saved hash that may or not not be equal)

but you don't have to think about any of this because bcrypt handles the salt for you. you should be treating its output as opaque and not generating or handling the salt directly

nah don't do any of this

Okay, like 30 seconds before I posted my confusion I found the part I was missing: you store each salt in the database. I wasn't seeing how you would be able to compare to a hash made with a different salt, and then after that I realized that you wouldn't be able to match the hash of the current password if you didn't have the current salt somewhere either. For some reason I thought salts were a single use generated thing :shrug:

Turns out I should have been looking on Stack Overflow instead of Wikipedia for an explanation of salting and rainbow tables.

Do people still just concatenate the salt and the password or do programs tend to do some other kind of operation first, so you have to know whether to do (password + salt) or (salt + password) or (password AND salt) or (password XOR salt) or something even more complicated even after you get the salt? Thinking about it as best as I can after a long day at a lovely job, doing that would only help against dictionary attacks rather than basic brute force, but at this point without a Chinese bitcoin farm brute forcing bcrypt without knowing anything about the password length or character restrictions seems like a fool's errand (someone will probably tell me why I'm wrong).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

We had an issue with Adobe Acrobat and ADFS due to our non-persistent VDI.
IME Adobe is bar none the worst to with as far as license management is concerned. They straight up do not give a single gently caress. It's caused our 10k user org to move away from any adobe product we possibly can.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do people still just concatenate the salt and the password or do programs tend to do some other kind of operation first, so you have to know whether to do (password + salt) or (salt + password) or (password AND salt) or (password XOR salt) or something even more complicated even after you get the salt?
I'd imagine everyone just does password+salt because password += salt is a simple operation, and more complicated things are bad for multiple reasons:

1. XORing or whatever costs additional processing with zero real gain in security. If your systems are compromised someone might be able to just look at your code to see that you're doing some dumb passsaltword jumble. And even if only the database is stolen, there's only so many ways to run two strings together. If you've run a couple attacks through your GPU and keep geting zero hits, you're going to start thinking about changing around the hashes eventually.

2. It's a maintenance and uniformity problem. If you have two or more different applications that hit the password database, they have to do the same thing. Now your web developers have to go explain their non-standard scheme to the phone app team.

quote:

Thinking about it as best as I can after a long day at a lovely job, doing that would only help against dictionary attacks rather than basic brute force, but at this point without a Chinese bitcoin farm brute forcing bcrypt without knowing anything about the password length or character restrictions seems like a fool's errand (someone will probably tell me why I'm wrong).

GPU dictionary attacks are brute force attacks, just smart ones that attack psychological tendencies and bad habits. Salting protects against rainbow tables, GPU attacks overcome salting by running the whole dictionary through each salt/hash pair.

Bcrypt isn't magic, and you don't need a bitcoin farm to attack the low-entropy passwords. Entropy requirements are hard to enforce, the dumb things people do to avoid length & character restrictions (dumbpa$$w0rd) work for a reason. And over time more of the passwords will become vulnerable as GPUs continue to get better.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

When are we going to see machine learning harnessed to guess people's passwords?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Huh, it just keeps guessing "f@rts69" over and over again.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Volmarias posted:

Because it learned which accounts use this password. It's correct each time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

why does my account keep getting stolen?!?!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's what 2FA is for!

Weird, it just keeps generating "420420" for every code

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

Do you have access to nuclear weapons?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Clever use of steganography here. Hope it works out.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

This is pretty hilarious. Genius and Google have had sour relations for a very long time.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Anyone seeing activity on their public facing linux boxes for CVE-2019-11477?

Looks like it's possible to kernel panic any linux server remotely by abusing the TCP stack that seems somewhat easy to exploit from my (somewhat under qualified) view.

https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/tcpsack

edit: any *unpatched linux server that isnt freeBSD

FungiCap fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 18, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FungiCap posted:

Anyone seeing activity on their public facing linux boxes for CVE-2019-11477?

Looks like it's possible to kernel panic any linux server remotely by abusing the TCP stack that seems somewhat easy to exploit from my (somewhat under qualified) view.

https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/tcpsack

edit: any *unpatched linux server that isnt freeBSD
It's super trivial to mitigate in most cases, though - and SACK/RACK isn't widely deployed, so it shouldn't impact too many people except Netflix.
Their original SA mentions FreeBSD, but I believe it's in the specific use-case they have (FreeBSD is the backbone of their ~100Gbps-per-box CDN called OpenConnect)
Congratulations, you're one of the first people I've seen who didn't assume it applied to FreeBSD too - it only applies if you've got RACK enabled, which it isn't in the GENERIC kernel config on any supported version.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's super trivial to mitigate in most cases, though - and SACK/RACK isn't widely deployed, so it shouldn't impact too many people except Netflix.
Their original SA mentions FreeBSD, but I believe it's in the specific use-case they have (FreeBSD is the backbone of their ~100Gbps-per-box CDN called OpenConnect)
Congratulations, you're one of the first people I've seen who didn't assume it applied to FreeBSD too - it only applies if you've got RACK enabled, which it isn't in the GENERIC kernel config on any supported version.

Thanks friendo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ladies, gentlemen, and friends, Eric S. Raymond.

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1141786872387010561

For people with screenreaders:
Bug report

ESR posted:

Hi,
Our fuzzer found a crash on gif2png (the latest commit on master 34b4105c) due to an invalid read.
Valgrind says: valgrind gif2png PoCPoC
Eric S. Raymond @esr · 1 hour ago
Maintainer

Crash confirmed. Buthis program is not expected to be able to deal with arbitrarily broken input. All I'm going to do about it is add a SIGSEGV handler.

Project news

quote:

2.5.14: 2019-06-20::
Redirect segfault to a graceful exit. Tired of meaningless fuzzer bugs.
:shrug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klyith posted:

GPU dictionary attacks are brute force attacks, just smart ones that attack psychological tendencies and bad habits. Salting protects against rainbow tables, GPU attacks overcome salting by running the whole dictionary through each salt/hash pair.

Bcrypt isn't magic, and you don't need a bitcoin farm to attack the low-entropy passwords. Entropy requirements are hard to enforce, the dumb things people do to avoid length & character restrictions (dumbpa$$w0rd) work for a reason. And over time more of the passwords will become vulnerable as GPUs continue to get better.

I meant brute force as in literally trying every possible combination of password, not so much trying commonly used / previously stolen passwords. I guess dictionary attacks are still brute force, just brute force that has evolved to the point of being a tool-user.

I had also been looking at the time to guarantee getting the result, I guess it would be more accurate to give a LD50 of time spent attempting to crack a password of a given length/complexity. I was going off of the hashcat results I found for a Titan V or whatever they're at now, the newest ones. I just specified bcrypt because bcrypt hashing is several orders of magnitude slower than a lot of other methods going off of the results I've found. As in the Titan getting ~55k hashes per second as opposed to 10-15 megahashes on other methods.

Although I guess if people made bcrypt ASICs then going off of the speed differences seen in cryptocurrency mining between high-end GPU mining rigs and ASIC mining rigs you would see, again, several orders of magnitude difference. Although it doesn't seem like any cryptocurrencies use bcrypt yet so I don't know if there are any bcrypt-compatible ASICs. Apparently FPGAs have been designed that work well with bcrypt though, so maybe approximate .5mhash there? gently caress if I know, numbers change way too fast on this stuff since it's an arms race on all sides.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Mozilla updated their TLS configuration guide for the first time in 2.5 years. Here's a summary of the changes:

• TLS 1.3 has been recommended across the board.
  • The "Modern" configuration is TLS 1.3-only.
  • The "Intermediate" configuration, which is recommended for most uses, is TLS 1.3 and 1.2-only.
  • The "Intermediate" configuration now only uses AEAD ciphersuites with PFS. No more 3DES, CBC, SHA-1, or static RSA key exchange.
  • ECDSA certificates (using NIST P-256) are now recommended for the "Intermediate" configuration (in addition to the "Modern" configuration).
  • Servers now respect the client's cipher preferences with the "Modern" and "Intermediate" configurations as all enabled ciphers should provide sufficient security. This allows clients without AES hardware acceleration to prefer AES-128 or ChaCha20 over AES-256 and vice-versa.
  • The "Old" configuration drops SSLv3 and some uncommon ciphers (CAMELLIA, SEED, DSS). This loses support for IE 6 on Windows XP, bumping the minimum up to IE 8.
  • X25519 is now the recommended curve for key exchange (followed by NIST P-256 and P-384). NIST P-521 is no longer recommended as it doesn't provide any major security benefit over the other curves, has less widespread support, and is slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Everything relying on GPG is hosed.

quote:

Executive Summary

In the last week of June 2019 unknown actors deployed a certificate spamming attack against two high-profile contributors in the OpenPGP community (Robert J. Hansen and Daniel Kahn Gillmor, better known in the community as "rjh" and "dkg"). This attack exploited a defect in the OpenPGP protocol itself in order to "poison" rjh and dkg's OpenPGP certificates. Anyone who attempts to import a poisoned certificate into a vulnerable OpenPGP installation will very likely break their installation in hard-to-debug ways. Poisoned certificates are already on the SKS keyserver network. There is no reason to believe the attacker will stop at just poisoning two certificates. Further, given the ease of the attack and the highly publicized success of the attack, it is prudent to believe other certificates will soon be poisoned.

This attack cannot be mitigated by the SKS keyserver network in any reasonable time period. It is unlikely to be mitigated by the OpenPGP Working Group in any reasonable time period. Future releases of OpenPGP software will likely have some sort of mitigation, but there is no time frame. The best mitigation that can be applied at present is simple: stop retrieving data from the SKS keyserver network.

even more executive summary: poo poo, someone finally exploited this well-known problem.

Choice quotes:

quote:

The software is Byzantine. The standard keyserver software is called SKS, for "Synchronizing Key Server". A bright fellow named Yaron Minsky devised a brilliant algorithm that could do reconciliations very quickly. It became the keystone of his Ph.D thesis, and he wrote SKS originally as a proof of concept of his idea. It's written in an unusual programming language called OCaml, and in a fairly idiosyncratic dialect of it at that. This is of course no problem for a proof of concept meant to support a Ph.D thesis, but for software that's deployed in the field it makes maintenance quite difficult. Not only do we need to be bright enough to understand an algorithm that's literally someone's Ph.D thesis, but we need expertise in obscure programming languages and strange programming customs.

quote:

it's used in environments where a single mistake can cost millions and speed matters
For all its power, OCaml is also pretty simple, which is one reason it's often used as a teaching language.
Should have written it in C IMO, nothing better than C that people understand and have no problems for writing safe network code.

quote:

The OpenPGP specification puts no limitation on how many signatures can be attached to a certificate. The keyserver network handles certificates with up to about 150,000 signatures.

GnuPG, on the other hand … doesn't. Any time GnuPG has to deal with such a spammed certificate, GnuPG grinds to a halt. It doesn't stop, per se, but it gets wedged for so long it is for all intents and purposes completely unusable.
A program for validating untrusted data from the internet dying in hard-to-fix ways when fed untrusted data from the internet is less than ideal, but that's never brought up.

quote:

We do not even know the scope of the damage.
We have no visibility into the infrastructure we run and have no idea how to even check until someone reports a broken cert to us.

I'm sure someone will have pointed this out in the comments:

quote:

quote:

How would everyone from spammers to child pornographers abuse this?
"How would everyone from spammers to homosexual pornographers abuse this?" is the version from 80 years ago. Maybe it is time for people to accept that nobody is harmed by people masturbating to certain sequences of bits. There is no need to be a bigot in an irrelevant topic.
It's almost impressive that someone managed to work something worse than "actually it's called ebophilia" into this.

There's a trivial "fix" for the keyservers: Limit the number of returned signatures to a client to something that GPG can handle unless it asks with "Hi, I'm a fixed version give me all of them".

Harik fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 29, 2019