Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fyallm posted:

We have O365 but for some reason the beta of teams at our place doesnt have a mobile option? Wtf? No phone app?

Unless you guys still have blackberries there are apps for all modern phone platforms... It sound like your o365 team hosed up something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

fyallm posted:

We have O365 but for some reason the beta of teams at our place doesnt have a mobile option? Wtf? No phone app?
E: beaten

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harik posted:

Sedative, does this jive with your memory of how this all played out?

Hey, my historyposts are boring but that’s a little much.

SGC sounds familiar, but I never had to deal with it. As a Canadian I could actually see the crypto code, unlike other foreigners at Netscape pre-1999 who just saw
code:
#ifdef HAS_CRYPTO
  TOKEN1774
#endif
all over the tree. Many American lives saved by that nonsense I’m sure.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL
https://twitter.com/Asher_Wolf/status/1150526669477695488

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Its Coke posted:

What's the best way to encrypt a thumb drive?

Hammer.

Unless you want to decrypt it too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It was apparently a joke anyway, if that wasn't immediately obvious

https://medium.com/@fightfortheftr/introducing-the-juggalizer-6c87c631d1ca

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That article is worth a read for sure.

Norithiel
Aug 4, 2006

8U

terrenblade posted:

Hammer.

Unless you want to decrypt it too.

The only correct answer.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Its Coke posted:

What's the best way to encrypt a thumb drive?

BitLocker

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lock those bits up with a hammer

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've been asked to create some kind of repository/system to document exceptions to our data protection agreement policy, and I'm wondering if anyone here has a more novel idea than a folder in Google Drive. Example: we want to deploy Slack, but my university has not yet been able to get Slack to sign a DPA, so using Slack goes against our security policy. The DPA exception is essentially a CYA for my department so that in case we get audited or bad poo poo happens, we can point to the sheet and say that so-and-so overrode our concerns and approved it anyway.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sirotan posted:

I've been asked to create some kind of repository/system to document exceptions to our data protection agreement policy, and I'm wondering if anyone here has a more novel idea than a folder in Google Drive. Example: we want to deploy Slack, but my university has not yet been able to get Slack to sign a DPA, so using Slack goes against our security policy. The DPA exception is essentially a CYA for my department so that in case we get audited or bad poo poo happens, we can point to the sheet and say that so-and-so overrode our concerns and approved it anyway.

Sorry to break the news but that’s exactly what a share point document library offers/is designed for ... Condolences :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
How many documents will you realistically be creating / storing?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Volmarias posted:

How many documents will you realistically be creating / storing?

Honestly no idea at this point. Dozens? My boss just came to me last Friday and said create this thing, so I've been reaching out to our Information Assurance and Software Procurement groups to see what their take is on it. We actually have an internal Sharepoint site for security but I'm new in this job (~6 weeks) and have not even used it myself, in a meeting a few weeks ago where the team was trying to reorg the Google Drive, I got laughed at for even suggesting it as a place to store poo poo... I guess maybe it doesn't matter as long as we're CYA'd?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I guess maybe it doesn't matter as long as we're CYA'd?

As long as the documents exist, are backed up, and the people that matter know where to find them when they need them.

My only recommendation would be to find a place for them that already exists, rather than creating a new thing that someone will have to check on and maintain.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah sounds like I was probably completely other thinking this. Guess I'll chat with my boss a bit more, Sharepoint might end up being the best option in this case.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you not have issue/change management software that can take attachments?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'm cross-posting this from the Windows Enterprise thread since I'd like perspective from a wider security-focused group too

I'm in the process of migrating off our ancient single tier Windows PKI setup. My initial thought was the standard offline root with online subordinate CA, but the more I think about it the more I'm considering just doing a single tier deployment. Our certs are generally only issued to domain-joined machines via auto-enrollment, and they're only used for internally-facing resources. In the event of the online CA getting compromised, it seems like it'd be quicker to remove the singler-tier CA's cert from Trusted Root CA's via GPO than it would be to online the offline root, revoke the subordinate CA's cert, publish the new CRL, and trust the clients to check the updated CRL - especially considering the CRL expiration on an offline root CA is typically pretty long (weeks or months).

Am I missing anything here?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you not have issue/change management software that can take attachments?

We do but it's ServiceNow and I don't hate my users that much.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sirotan posted:

You will eventually, so why not skip to the endgame? :<

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You will eventually, so why not skip to the endgame? :<

Maybe, but killing half of all her users seems a little extreme

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sirotan posted:

That sucks. We handle unrepentant assholes that way, where we make them file an issue. About 1/4 of the time they relent at that point (because suddenly there's a paper trail of poo poo being on them when it blows) and the rest is sufficiently documented.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Does the CISSP test as easy as it looks?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

Finding the "hurr i am buziness person beep boop" answer is sometimes hard

flip though some flash cards and you'll do fine

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sickening posted:

Assuming you have prior IT experience, it will be mostly be memorization of terms and maybe a bit of brush-up on basic algebra for the risk quantification questions. It is an adaptive test, so if you get something wrong on a section it will start hammering on that to punish you. I'd give yourself at minimum a weekend plus weeknight evenings to prep.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

It is very non-technical, but might ask things about specific crypto algorithms and such. Nothing vendor/product specific. Just filled with BEST or FIRST or MOST type questions. Typically 2 bad answers and then 2 correct answers that you've gotta know enough about to suss out which one is "more" correct.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

It is very non-technical, but might ask things about specific crypto algorithms and such. Nothing vendor/product specific. Just filled with BEST or FIRST or MOST type questions. Typically 2 bad answers and then 2 correct answers that you've gotta know enough about to suss out which one is "more" correct.

I took it the year they switched over to the new questions (but before the prep materials were refreshed) so we crammed our asses off memorizing block sizes and modes for des/rc/aes only to end up finding out they don't ask you anything more involved than "is single-DES bad?" and "what are valid block sizes for aes?"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

AlternateAccount posted:

Your DICK is on FIRE. Which of these is the MOST correct way to resolve this issue?
A) Call the Fire Department
B) Run outside and stick your dick in the snow
C) Stop, drop and roll
D) Beat the fire out using your hands
E) Use the powershell cmdlet Set-DickCombustibility to make your dick fireproof

Why yes, I did recently do a Microsoft cert!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I took it the year they switched over to the new questions (but before the prep materials were refreshed) so we crammed our asses off memorizing block sizes and modes for des/rc/aes only to end up finding out they don't ask you anything more involved than "is single-DES bad?" and "what are valid block sizes for aes?"

I got mine in 2003 and it was still a "show up to a hotel conference room on a Saturday and take a scantron test". It had a ton of those fiddly technical details across all the domains. The current test is a whole lot easier now.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Proteus Jones posted:

I got mine in 2003 and it was still a "show up to a hotel conference room on a Saturday and take a scantron test". It had a ton of those fiddly technical details across all the domains. The current test is a whole lot easier now.

I did have a friend complain that he thought it was too easy. Dweeb.

I think it's just better focused now. I am not sure why there's an entire domain devoted to Business Continuity, though. But I guess I do see often that that role falls under the security umbrella, sooooo...

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

:eyepop: CISSP exam cost

I was going to book it to force me to finish the course material... I assumed it was going to be near CCNA/CCNP exam prices.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I did have a friend complain that he thought it was too easy. Dweeb.

I think it's just better focused now. I am not sure why there's an entire domain devoted to Business Continuity, though. But I guess I do see often that that role falls under the security umbrella, sooooo...

A big part of security is accepting that something bad will eventually happen and planning for it. The investment you put in to business continuity is dictated by your quantitative risk assessment; there's no point in investing $500k in a DR plan if an outage is only going to cost you $50k.

Biggz posted:

:eyepop: CISSP exam cost

I was going to book it to force me to finish the course material... I assumed it was going to be near CCNA/CCNP exam prices.

always make your employer pay for it

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

always make your employer pay for it

That was always the plan, but I'd have booked it before having that conversation if it was cheaper.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you thought the CISSP fee was high, check out the CEH lol. $1200 for that piece of poo poo.

I didn't think the exam was particularly tough although I might have barely passed and I'll never know since they dont tell you your score. I spent about a month studying 11th Hour CISSP and the Official ISC2 Practice Tests book. Just pull the trigger. It's a good/great resume signal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The CISSP is 699 USD? That's not bad. Companies don't even blink at spending that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

The CISSP is 699 USD? That's not bad. Companies don't even blink at spending that.

Unless it's reimbursing you for something

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Diva Cupcake posted:

If you thought the CISSP fee was high, check out the CEH lol. $1200 for that piece of poo poo.

It does seem overpriced but I can’t figure out what the better alternative is?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

It does seem overpriced but I can’t figure out what the better alternative is?

A good alternative is nothing because certifications don't really matter at all

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

xtal posted:

Look at this guy who’s figured out how to beat the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xtal posted:

I wish we lived in a world where this was always true.