Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

klosterdev posted:

They're about to do it all over the nation if the Breonna Taylor decision is as slap-on-the-wrist as Louisville's locking down is for it to be
Did you guess not "no charges", but "exactly one charge, completely unrelated to the actual loving murder, to be maximally insulting"? Cause if you didn't, you should clearly have uh... *checks thread title* hacked something to have a better guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CVE-2020-1472 is causing our on-prem infra teams to poo poo themselves because they're still using NTLM and it's just *kisses fingers*

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

CVE-2020-1472 is causing our on-prem infra teams to poo poo themselves because they're still using NTLM and it's just *kisses fingers*

:chefskiss:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
-- nvm, wrong CVE

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 25, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I have a product team having a meeting with me tomorrow because the new product they are building is running into an issue with not being able to encrypt certain HIPAA protected information in order for their product to function correctly. I assume they are going to ask me if I am okay with not encrypting HIPAA protected patient information.

I am not going to be amused if this is the case because the entire meeting could be an email and my participation is basically summed up as "no".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I tend to defer those stupid "should we ignore this obvious regulatory requirement" to legal because when I say no I'm being an unhelpful business blocker, but when legal says no it's sage advice from someone who know what they're talking about.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I successfully convinced a company to store passwords in the DB with bcrypt or PBKDF2 instead of SSH1 :)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I successfully convinced a company to store passwords in the DB with bcrypt or PBKDF2 instead of SSH1 :)

Doing God's work, good goon.

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

I got another CTF question for you guys, if anyone is versed in Google cloud.

I rooted a machine which is a GCE, and the cloud environment is in scope. I found a bucket which has a googlecloudfunction.spec file in it, and the content of the file is:

code:
availableMemoryMb: 128
entryPoint: HackMe
httpsTrigger:
  url: [url]https://foo.cloudfunctions.net/bar[/url]
ingressSettings: ALLOW_INTERNAL_ONLY
labels:
  deployment-tool: cli-gcloud
name: bar
runtime: nodejs10
timeout: 3s
versionId: '2'
Reading up on the documentation and testing the trigger yields the following:

code:
curl [url]https://foo.cloudfunctions.net/bar[/url] -H "Authorization: bearer $(gcloud auth print-identity-token)"
{"from":"foo","message":"Hello, I am a cloud function."}
This is my only lead, this function was next to the current flag so feels like a strong clue. Are there any other that could be tested against cloud functions?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm more of an AWS guy, but I would assume that the credentials used to deploy the function are over broad, or the credentials assumed by the function are over broad, or there's something else interesting about the function. Did you find the source of the function next to that deployment spec?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You could try fuzzing the api endpoint with a wordlist to discover functionality.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

spankmeister posted:

You could try fuzzing the api endpoint with a wordlist to discover functionality.

for example:

if that endpoint actually is 'bar', try throwing in 'foo'

this also works with get->set, logoutlogin->logout, and view/read->edit

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 28, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

for example:

if that endpoint actually is 'bar', try throwing in 'foo'

this also works with get->set, logout->logout, and view/read->edit

This seems like the genesis of an Auto-BOFH.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kazinsal posted:

The history of IT all leads up to the autobofh. Eventually we will automate cynicism and hostility to the point that we won't be needed

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kazinsal posted:

I like to imagine the intern developers in that one comic with the curly tie. You know they were told to make a 'get' function to fetch some sort of information but forgot Eclipse automatically builds out everything sometimes and just also made a 'set'.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/cyberattack-hits-major-u-s-hospital-system-n1241254?cid=ed_npd_bn_tw_bn

Thank you for the job security UHS!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

The only thing UHS is going to learn from this is that pure analog fax is more available than an efax solution you can't log into anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Don't worry, we'll just pay the ransom!"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

We tried to pay the ransom when we got hit but they never replied to our messages

Eventually we did manage to recover a copy of our directory but had to rebuild anyway because Domain Admin was compromised

Plus lots of user data was basically lost forever

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

We tried to pay the ransom when we got hit but they never replied to our messages

Eventually we did manage to recover a copy of our directory but had to rebuild anyway because Domain Admin was compromised

Plus lots of user data was basically lost forever

Yeah, Paying the ransom might make recovery easier, but for the most part you are likely still compromised and still gotta find a way to rebuild from scratch.

I've had two clients I've done ransomware IRs with, one had a decently segmented network so they managed to isolate and save a lot of stuff, so they didn't pay the ransom since they had good backups and an Engineering team that was on the ball with their alerts.

The other did not, and really their only option was pay the ransom or fold the company. Even then, it was a couple weeks of sifting through decrypted data that included a couple backdoors/shells. They still largely got back on their feet but spent a significant amount of man hours and budget standing up a mirrored environment to move the scrubbed/decrypted data to. Their Cyber Insurance paid out, which helped a bit.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 28, 2020

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

Mopp posted:

I got another CTF question for you guys, if anyone is versed in Google cloud.

I rooted a machine which is a GCE, and the cloud environment is in scope. I found a bucket which has a googlecloudfunction.spec file in it, and the content of the file is:

code:
availableMemoryMb: 128
entryPoint: HackMe
httpsTrigger:
  url: [url]https://foo.cloudfunctions.net/bar[/url]
ingressSettings: ALLOW_INTERNAL_ONLY
labels:
  deployment-tool: cli-gcloud
name: bar
runtime: nodejs10
timeout: 3s
versionId: '2'
Reading up on the documentation and testing the trigger yields the following:

code:
curl [url]https://foo.cloudfunctions.net/bar[/url] -H "Authorization: bearer $(gcloud auth print-identity-token)"
{"from":"foo","message":"Hello, I am a cloud function."}
This is my only lead, this function was next to the current flag so feels like a strong clue. Are there any other that could be tested against cloud functions?

Rhino Security has done some stuff on priv esc using cloud functions, so that may be a possible path here? https://rhinosecuritylabs.com/gcp/privilege-escalation-google-cloud-platform-part-1/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't expect anyone in here to need convincing, but there's a security analysis of SMS as second factor authentication in ACM Queue in case you need to refer other people to it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding WHOIS data, I can remember having been pestered years ago to make sure my data on my domain registration is correct or else... Now I'm looking up some weird-rear end domain my town is using for some business, and the WHOIS output is pretty much "REDACTED FOR PRIVACY" all over. What's that all about?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Private domain registration has been around forever, most registrars offer it, some even for free.

The registrar still keeps your info, but hides it from public whois lookups.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its pretty much there so private individuals can run websites without getting autodoxxed, which I think we can all agree is good

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
You can lookup up the history on a WhoIs record to see what was listed before it was locked down.

A hosting company I worked for used a bot to scrape the contact info from public WhoIs records for a certain type of client and then used that info to cold call them to promote our services. This was in '01/02

I'm also pretty sure some registrars would sell the customer data to marketing companies for adverts in junk snail mail.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RFC2324 posted:

Its pretty much there so private individuals can run websites without getting autodoxxed, which I think we can all agree is good

Unless your name is Brian Krebs, anyway.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding WHOIS data, I can remember having been pestered years ago to make sure my data on my domain registration is correct or else... Now I'm looking up some weird-rear end domain my town is using for some business, and the WHOIS output is pretty much "REDACTED FOR PRIVACY" all over. What's that all about?

They've been like this since GDPR came in in 2016. You still need to keep your details correct (and still get the email reminders) but the public whois interface is redacted now

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Shout out to GDPR for killing off the whois privacy upselling market

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

Shout out to GDPR for killing off the whois privacy upselling market

Doesn't stop Network Solutions

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

Shuu posted:

Rhino Security has done some stuff on priv esc using cloud functions, so that may be a possible path here? https://rhinosecuritylabs.com/gcp/privilege-escalation-google-cloud-platform-part-1/

Thanks, this was helpful. I've done some enumeration given that I know the function is nodejs, but haven't found anything. The function returns all data, up to a certain limit. Look here:

code:
# gcloud functions call bar--region europe-west1 --data '{"message": "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"}' --account bla
result: '{"from":"foo","message":"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"}'

# gcloud functions call bar--region europe-west1 --data '{"message": "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"}' --account bla
result: '{"from":"foo","message":"Hello, I am a cloud function."}'
Not sure what to make of it. I'm guessing that the next flag should be easier than enumerating through the entire possible message set, such as finding misconfigured google cloud permissions or anything but so far no luck.

Ideas highly appreciated.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Paying the ransom might make recovery easier, but for the most part you are likely still compromised and still gotta find a way to rebuild from scratch.

I've had two clients I've done ransomware IRs with, one had a decently segmented network so they managed to isolate and save a lot of stuff, so they didn't pay the ransom since they had good backups and an Engineering team that was on the ball with their alerts.

The other did not, and really their only option was pay the ransom or fold the company. Even then, it was a couple weeks of sifting through decrypted data that included a couple backdoors/shells. They still largely got back on their feet but spent a significant amount of man hours and budget standing up a mirrored environment to move the scrubbed/decrypted data to. Their Cyber Insurance paid out, which helped a bit.

A while ago I had a client that got hit. They had no proper backups, no real security, nothing. I am not an IR person, I have no IR credentials, and nobody at our company does either. We ended up referring them to a proper IR team, who was expensive, and they decided to go with some sham solution from a big name company. That company plugged in a firewall and ran some scans and said "whelp you are all good."

I'm terrified of what they probably have still laying around in their environment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

siggy2021 posted:

A while ago I had a client that got hit. They had no proper backups, no real security, nothing. I am not an IR person, I have no IR credentials, and nobody at our company does either. We ended up referring them to a proper IR team, who was expensive, and they decided to go with some sham solution from a big name company. That company plugged in a firewall and ran some scans and said "whelp you are all good."

I'm terrified of what they probably have still laying around in their environment.

There's a couple sham IR companies going around lately with the rise in Ransomware, I've not encountered one directly, but I've heard stories from others where they had reoccurrences after the cleanup company told them they were safe

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm losing my mind with this dev who keeps insisting that X-Forwarded-For is an appropriate place to do IP restrictions. How are these people allowed near an enterprise computer system.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I used to use X-Forwarded-For to get around the geoblocking on Comedy Central videos and was sad when they finally fixed it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think it was in 2012? that I first learned about what you could do with that header, when Stack Overflow had the issue. There are still some terrible websites and devs out there that rely on that header as an actual security mechanism, it's insane.

e: yeah here it is, good read: https://blog.ircmaxell.com/2012/11/anatomy-of-attack-how-i-hacked.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Speaking of Ransomware, OFAC is getting ready to roll out rules making it against the rules to pay ransomware demands.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Speaking of Ransomware, OFAC is getting ready to roll out rules making it against the rules to pay ransomware demands.

Like, internally or in general for American companies

There are some giant-rear end companies getting crypto'd that could straight-up go under if they can't get their data back

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

Like, internally or in general for American companies

There are some giant-rear end companies getting crypto'd that could straight-up go under if they can't get their data back

American companies mostly, but basically they are saying if you pay the demand, you are likely violating international sanctions, and cyber insurance companies are not going to pay out in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
It's ok they aren't paying out ransomware ransoms, they are just paying a good ol' American cybersecurity consultancy to "decrypt the ransomware" for them