Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I was wondering something about the practical side of security for disk encryption. If I don't have FDE equipped drives is it more secure to use software based encryption on the whole drive and have encrypted containers on it or to have multiple logical volumes encrypted with different passwords.

My use is very mundane. Mostly I want to have my music on the same drive as everything else, but have everything on the drive encrypted. I want to get back to using encryption as a common part of my habits. So should I have the mundane items on a separate logical volume or is bundling it all together equally secure? Probably going to go with Veracrypt unless there's something glaring that I haven't turned up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They're not advocating putting your passwords on dropbox, but to use it to hold the encrypted container that KeePass needs so you can keep it synched between devices. As long as you feel that the container is secure then the risk you're taking hosting it on dropbox is minimized by rotating passwords.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rufus Ping posted:

Same - I hadn't heard of Facebook before but after a quick poke around their home page they get my seal of approval

Wait! "Of Facebook" or hadn't heard "X thing about Facebook" before? I'm exceptionally curious that there exists a demographic that hasn't been subsumed by the Facebook juggernaut. Is it really only that ubiquitous inside America?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They run windows software, need adobe reader, java for a lovely web app, and will revolt of flash isn't installed for their stupid cat.swf email chains that go around.

Don't install flash. Nobody needs flash.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

What's a good book to learn more about crypto just for personal reading and education? No, I won't be "rolling my own," but I would love to know the semi-technical workings of public keys, AES-CTR, stream ciphers...stuff like that.

As a point of reference, I've took basic calculus in college (many years ago) and I read a lot about PC hardware and security issues, but I don't code.

Thanks for any recommendations.

https://crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/cryptobook/draft_0_3.pdf