Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Theris posted:

What's wrong with MD5? I mean, it turns my street's name (why are you using license plate numbers instead of something easy to remember when you're stretching it into a good password anyway? We're trying to keep things simple here!) into "0904572d42fdd0ef1cd93fb1047fe2d0." That's a great password! Look how long and random it is! And without involving super complicated hard to learn software like Keepass.

Don't make this more difficult than it has to be, just use md5.

seems legit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

poe's law

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

It's really good

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

If you're running linux without grsec (which renders this unexploitable) you're a bit of a mug imo

Debian even has prebuilt grsec kernels now

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

what's the path to better kernel security look like if I'm heavily RHEL6-ified (including SELinux)? Is getting grsec into the mix feasible?

I don't think there are any officially sanctioned grsec patched rpms so you'd have to build the kernel yourself, probably invalidating your support contract

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

That's cloudflare you idiot

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I do not understand this.

I think he's suggesting someone might have an exposed e.g. GitLab installation running on their production servers and if it were vulnerable in some way then an attacker could pivot once inside

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Use TLS client auth

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

^ you're thinking of BES

It likely had nothing to do with PGP as such and was just an endpoint attack to either steal the plaintext or the keys

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

oaok posted:

What are some things that I should study to start learning sec related things? Also resources that would help a beginner/novice looking to get into the field of infosec. Books? Courses? Videos? I'm very interested in netsec and infosec but I don't know where to begin. I was looking at maybe bash/shell, different file encryption, scripts and things like that, but I feel I need some fundamental training on the whole lot of information for these subjects.

Become a competent programmer and/or sysadmin first

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Why on earth would someone see whatsapp hiring moxie and immediately jump to the conclusion it's too good to be true and must be part of a nefarious plot nobody else has identified and that you'd better not use it? That's seriously loving stupid even by sh/sc standards

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Antillie posted:

my cursory look at facebook's web site gives me the impression that they know what they are doing

Same - I hadn't heard of Facebook before but after a quick poke around their home page they get my seal of approval

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Just looked them up on Lycos and it turns out they're a pretty big deal in the US - sorry!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

e: Wrong thread nvm

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 28, 2016

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Antillie posted:

Must be nice to work in an industry that isn't subject to PCI, HIPAA, GLBA, US Government Contracting, or UK Data Protection Act regulation. It must also be nice to not have any clients that are subject to any of those things either.

Which part of the Data Protection Act mandates AV?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

That won't really help in any meaningful way - I think you underestimate just how vulnerable media codecs are if your conclusion is "keep VLC up to date"

If you think getting your box popped via an anime mkv is a realistic scenario you need to guard against, you'd be better off installing EMET or watching everything in a VM

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sharktopus posted:

half serious/half comedy answer: tails, tor, public wifi, mixmaster, full-disclosure

100% this

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

There have been various attacks on Tor users:

- The CMU SEI / cancelled Black Hat talk took advantage of RELAY_EARLY cells to perform a traffic confirmation attack. This has been fixed

- The watering-hole attack on Freedom Hosting exploited an already-patched vuln in Firefox 17 ESR. Users with an outdated Tor Browser Bundle were served a payload which attempted to phone home outside of Tor

- The Operation Torpedo watering-hole attack took advantage of users whose browser settings automatically ran Flash embeds. This is not the default setting in the TBB. The payload was the old Metasploit decloaker

- Tor is not designed to be safe against adversaries with a full view of the network. NSA/GCHQ have a sufficiently full view of the network to be able to perform statistical traffic analysis attacks

In addition, use of Tor to access the normal internet (i.e. not hidden services) leaves you open to types of attack known to be used on the normal internet, like packet injection.

In light of these points, you can help make your use of Tor safer in a few ways. Which are important depends on when and how you're using Tor.

- Reduce your susceptibility to vulns by using the hardened build of TBB which is compiled with ASan. Take advantage of exploit mitigation techniques (e.g. grsec) and MAC (e.g. grsec rbac, apparmor)

- Firewall yourself off so that non-Tor traffic cannot leak out and ensure these rules cannot easily be disabled. Tails and Qubes can do this automatically

- Connect from someone else's network that cannot be linked to you easily

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

Generally speaking, is it a reasonable assumption that other AV software is likely to have similar design and implementation flaws?
yes, I don't think taviso has ever mentioned he's looking at a particular AV and then failed to find some horrific problem with it

Mr Chips posted:

Do other vendors do dumb poo poo like run things at ring0 that shouldn't be running there?
yes, absolutely

His suggestion regarding AV:
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/647409908967604224
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/676799692936581120

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

dpbjinc posted:

With Linux, you are either a user or an administrator, but you can run specific programs as an administrator even if you are a user. With Windows, you can hand out certain rights to users without giving them full administrative privileges in any application.

this isn't true. Linux supports capabilities and MAC too

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ItBurns posted:

Don't be obtuse. It's a relevant development and a significant reversal of their position (and a few poster's own positions) with regard to sharing identifying info with FB and by proxy advertisers and law enforcement where the (now) encrypted messages can be stored until/if an attack on the encryption is found.

this was the assumed threat model all along - it is precisely because you don't trust all third parties not to do this that you're using e2e in the first place

whatsapp and other third parties not having access to metadata etc was never in scope unfortunately

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

just buy Threema assuming you can afford 2.99

or use Signal, which uses exactly the same protocol as WhatsApp (and Google Allo's and Facebook Messenger's e2e modes), and is free, and is open source, and whose users aren't almost exclusively German

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

FeloniousDrunk posted:

On the topic of password managers, I rolled my own crypto! Basically for people who don't trust LastPass etc. It runs entirely in the browser, no local storage, randomized per instance (unless choices have been made by the user).

I'd love to hear about problems it has, I haven't really put it out in the world.

Ah yes, 121, that well known prime number

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

spot the mistake in his primality test

code:
c=rand_int(47, 10001);
for(j=2;j<Math.sqrt(c);j++){
	while(!(c%j)){
		c/=j;
        }
}
if(c>2){
	a.push(c);
}
fwiw this also skews your generated primes left rather than being uniform, not that it matters because the whole idea is retarded anyway

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I've made a quick POC to show how a malicious site (or a site with malicious ads) can abuse that bookmarklet to steal people's passwords:

https://rufoa.com/sa/poc.html

Install that guy's bookmarklet then pretend to log into my site above (click the bookmarklet then the fill button)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

for those who can't be bothered running it themselves:

here's a site I want to log into

Load up the bookmarklet and click fill...

whoops

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Yeah, I kind of think using the domain name isn't such a hot idea either. I'm going to take that out. Also have replaced the homegrown hashing.

you've missed the point - the problem is that your bookmarklet relies on injecting secret information (the prng seed from which all passwords are derived) into untrusted third party pages

you can mitigate this to some extent but you really need to go back and consider what problem you are attempting to solve here

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

FeloniousDrunk posted:

On the topic of password managers, I rolled my own crypto! Basically for people who don't trust LastPass etc.

i mean seriously, if there are people out there who don't trust proper password managers but do trust some pile of poo poo w3schools-quality javascript bookmarklet written by local helpdesk janitor Tod McRetard, then your response shouldn't be to indulge their stupidity

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Honest is not brutal.
This kind of poo poo is the curse of IT and Info Sec.

I like to think I provided a decent amount of actual feedback and criticism before taking the piss out of him

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Squeegy posted:

Is there anything wrong with Enigmail for Thunderbird?

Apart from that time it had a bug that silently failed to actually encrypt messages when you told it to? And then the dev said it wasn't an issue

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

https://sourceforge.net/p/enigmail/forum/support/thread/3e7268a4/

I'm wrong, it wasn't one of the devs who said people should cut them some slack over this, it was someone else

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Can any of you thread readers recommend a good media contact who covers security and technology? Someone who writes about incidents well and hopefully understands at least some of the technical nuance of security/encryption? Mainly looking for good writing examples to show to other people.

patrick gray of risky business (radio)
matthew green
bruce schneier
joseph cox and lorenzo f-b of vice motherboard
kevin poulsen of wired
kashmir hill of fusion

comedy option: violet blue

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

cr0y posted:

Does any sort of open source two factor token exist? Or a project that can take advantage of readily available RSA tokens? I know using a cellphone is the most common 'token' but I am curious about fob that have a numerical display on them for TFA.

the standard algorithms are TOTP and HOTP via phone apps like you said

you can't reuse existing RSA fobs for your own application because each one has a shared secret burnt into it during manufacturing that you can't extract

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sleeper Pimp posted:

I deal mostly with bug bounty submissions. Am I allowed to drink with all you folks? (I need a drink.)

can I answer this in the form of a 40 minute screencast where I highlight broken English in notepad word by word then alt-tab to something too small to read in Burp Suite

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

I'd love to see what the LastPass apologists have to say about this.

It's nothing to do with them I don't think

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

couldn't you easily use quotes as something just as individual, secure,

it wouldn't be because you're not choosing the words randomly. someone could do a dictionary attack seeded on a book of quotations

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ce1194512322f2d9b1a85e11f6602c14

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

apropos man posted:

I didn't trust them to implement it properly if the best they can do is <30 character passwords, so I left it inactive.

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

How often are you logging into dropbox that the additional 20 seconds to type a 2FA code is a hassle? Do you keep clearing your cookies or something?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Harik posted:

E: I may be remembering one incident as more than one. I'm thinking "TOR-PEDO" and silkroad investigation involved separate uses of TBB exploits but tor-pedo involved hijacking freedom hosting to put an exploit in every page and silkroad was done differently.

the Torpedo and Freedom Hosting attacks were separate:
- the attack on Freedom Hosting exploited an already-patched vuln in Firefox 17 ESR
- the Operation Torpedo attack used the old Metasploit decloaker swf. iirc the TBB at the time didn't actually run Flash by default

iirc the Silk Road court docs didn't claim to have caught individuals by pwning them
but it did sound like they hacked into SR itself and then identified the hidden service's actual location (or it was all parallel construction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

If you need backup (rather than syncing) just use tarsnap. It's backed by s3