Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

If this is directed at me, the software requires SMBv1 for pretty much everything. Not sure what you mean by "let the admin install and enable," unless you mean that Windows Server should install with SMBv1 disabled by default, in which case I would agree.
I thought SMBv1 was disabled by default in 2012R2? But maybe not? It's supposed to be removed from some flavors of Windows 10/2016 as of the Creators Update release, according to a blog post from last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The issue seems to be that the "User=" field is interpreting the value "0day" as a UID, because usernames are not allowed to begin with numbers. So "0day" runs as root, and "7oz" doesn't run because there's no user with UID 7. It's possible that some part of systemd relies on reading the UID in this manner, which would mean that it isn't a bug. It is unexpected behavior, but so is a username that begins with a number.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

What is the difference between a bug and "unexpected behavior"?
What would happen if you put a nul character in that username field? Would the result be a bug in systemd if something allowed you to create a username with a nul character in it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vOv posted:

If you look at the comment a bit down the page, the '7oz' user gets their thing run as root. Which is idiotic. If it fails to parse the username it should log a message saying so and then fail rather than defaulting to running it as root.
I just tried this on Fedora 24, and wasn't able to replicate it.

Created a user '7oz'
Created a test service that runs /usr/bin/whoami
Started the service
grep whoami /var/log/messages => 'Jul 1 22:29:47 hostname whoami[14664]: 7oz'

This is systemd 229 so maybe I need 232 or newer?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hey speaking of certs, https://twitter.com/letsencrypt/status/882985570401701888

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So bad, the link is broken, too. :smith:
https://github.com/libressl-portable/openbsd/commit/91744d3deae1b0a448f936d107d1934c12510fee

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cugel the Clever posted:

Anyone have input on the best alternative? I'm just a poor web deb with limited knowledge of the things my various tools have going on behind the scenes.
LibreSSL or BoringSSL are alternatives to OpenSSL, but with different goals.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

It is smuggling the data inside the txt record itself you can do it with at least A, AAAA, CNAME, NS, TXT and MX records.
That's sending data from the server to the client. You don't send a TXT record from the client to the server. How do you send data from the client to the server without that data being an encoded subdomain?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Double Punctuation posted:

Good news, everyone!

(This is officially going to take longer than the death of XP, which is still getting updates through that loving registry hack.)
I'm getting 500 errors from that link.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

wait what I just spent a million on a flash-only storage gently caress this
:downsrim:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Months ago someone in one of the IT threads was saying there was a problem with fingerprint scanning as security on a cell phone. He didn't specify why, though. What's the problem with it? I got a new phone a few days ago and I know I should probably disable the Touch ID unlocking, but I'm wondering why.
It is easy to collect a fingerprint from something else you've touched and use it to unlock your phone. Cops (in the US) can legally force you to fingerprint-unlock your phone without a subpoena, but don't have the same right to coerce you into revealing the PIN or password for your phone.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Twerk from Home posted:

DEF CON needs to leave the USA ASAP. Wonder if they could get it done by next year.
If Def Con moved to a country that didn't have extradition rights to the west, do you think people would still go? Do you think feds still wouldn't catch people who went?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
[quote="“Dylan16807”" post="“475011367”"]
This isn’t about the scope of extradition, since he’s already from the UK. This is about direct grabbing during a visit, and that would be much less of an issue in any other western country.
[/quote] I'm sorry I gave you the benefit of the doubt, I didn't know you were implying that hosting DefCon in a different Five Eyes country would be an improvement.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kerning Chameleon posted:

quote:

Open sourcing Flash and the Shockwave spec would be a good solution to keep Flash and Shockwave projects alive safely for archive reasons. Don't know how, but that's the beauty of open source:
Brilliant.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maskenfreiheit posted:

HOW CAN FLASH BE BAD IF HOMESTAR IS GOOD. RIDDLE ME THAT LINUX HUFFERS
They have a cartoon about that, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nuQ5o2DYU&hd=1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moatman posted:

I genuinely can't tell if that site is a big troll or not.
Upguard is very real and unironic. Jon Hendren's blog, piss.io, is also real and unironic, but is delivered with jokes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I mean, I guess if it makes you feel better, http://devopsleague.com

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

Is it common practice for a third party we use to host an external support website (these guys are pretty large too) to ask for the following?

quote:

We do not fulfill CSR requests and it should not be necessary in order to retrieve the certificate information from the provider.

For SSL renewals, please attach the following:

New SSL certificate
Respective Private KEY
Bundle (Intermediate and Root certificates)
* If a PASSWORD is required to open the .ZIP file, please make sure you enclose it in a .txt document.

Please do not email the files. Please attach the files to the case in one of the following formats only: .txt or .pem format.
Doesn't sending the private keys to someone that didn't generate them defeat one of the basic points of a loving private key? :confused:
e: nvm I misread that. but they're being stupid

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It makes more sense when they can't generate a CSR. Either they are incapable of doing so, or they don't know how. :sever:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

If someone tells me they can't generate a CSR, after I giggle arrogantly I usually just link them the google results for certutil or openssl or whatever, because jesus christ it's 2017 and still no one knows what a certificate is or how they work
I had to argue with a guy about using 1024-bit keys not too long ago, and now I'm having the argument with him that 7zip 9.20 DLLs on a public share isn't a security risk.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

sftp. That way you don't have to deal with loving SSL certs in a way that was never intended.
There's no other side to this argument.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

I was talking about piping standard streams through ssh, like you do with zfs send | receive - because I'd just been doing that to back up stuff, and it reminded me that you could theoretically do that.
what the gently caress

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Because that website doesn't actually check if you put a real username/SSN in there, it is entirely a scam to get you to waive your class action rights. This doesn't have any bearing on whether or not arbitration is legal, but I've similarly heard that the clause is unenforceable, but the important thing is that you don't use that website.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 8, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://twitter.com/mashable/status/906282056874942465

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you... Are you talking to my grandmother?
Make sure you type it into a reputable website, like Google, or Bing. Then, click the first website in the results.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it's spelled and pronounced "Toronna" please get it right
Take special care to pronounce the a on the end.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Turning off beaconing is as secure as not giving your website a DNS name.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's bad, its only use is to be a red flag when you see people install it or hear people talk about it.

Also they got hacked http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

"Hi there's a payload on our installer that we didn't know about"

I actually want to see if cylance picks this up, pinging a consultant
Aren't they on virustotal now?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:thurman:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: actually, also, why does Windows only let you uninstall one program at a time, what data collision is it trying to prevent?
Could be registry stuff, probably doesn't want things overwriting files in C:\Config.msi\

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Three-Phase posted:

General ITSEC question - how do criminals afford "junk domains" or whatever you'd call them to host malware/spyware or do command and control and so forth? A single .com domain can be like $10 or more a year, how do they register dozens or hundreds of "kj9fslidjflskdjgflkjdfg dot zyx" or whatever domains?

Or are there just really, really shady registrars that are like "LOL OK here's a thousand domains whatever"?
A lot of the gTLDs are far, far cheaper than .com domains. https://www.domcomp.com/tld/xyz

They make up for it by making renewals really expensive, but malware vendors or spammers don't have to worry about that.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 19, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you're really worried about securely deleting data on an SSD then you should forget about filesystem-level writes and invest in a self-encrypting disk instead.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Hacked by their own executives?????

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If the SEC had stocks, I bet people higher up would have sold theirs before this disclosure.

Who's gonna go at them? The SEC? :homebrew:
Ah poo poo, I thought that was about Experian.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
And if you tried to copy large files to the temp folder you'd get people complaining that their disk is full. But you'll notice that Adobe includes network drives along with removable media.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've heard of browsers that seemingly slow a computer to a crawl, but putting a buttcoin miner in an extension is a new high (or low). The author claims that there "has been a hack", but the extension hasn't actually been updated for over a month, so something doesn't quite add up.
It's not even new.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Not really?

Unless you meant reddit, in which case, yes, reddit is very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:chanpop:

SMB. Version. 1.
Servername: PRDTAXDDNS01