Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

This is so wrong it's anti-right at this point. SELinux does support contexts, that's how it's designed.

Then again, SELinux. Very capable apparently, also very complex. I remember few years ago I decided to give SELinux a go, and not just disable it like i usually do (this is my home computer, I don't manage computers at my work). It worked for almost 6 months. SELinux would tell me what it blocked and how to enable it if I want to. Until one day I hit a wall. If I remember correctly it was lighttpd related, but whatever SELinux was suggesting was simply not working. Many hours of googling later I simply gave up. I had a thing to do and gently caress SELinux. Went back and disabled it and did what I had to do. drat that thing.

They probably have books about it, but unless I would need to manage enterprise computers I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

apseudonym posted:

Why in the world do you want it not to meet any standard?

I'd venture onto a guess here: security by obscurity? Since history teaches us that it is working so well for people....

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Custom text/array serialization format specifically for anti-compatibility purposes, in as hosed up a manner as possible.

But why? What's the ultimate goal? Any format you choose can be reversed engineered by someone motivated enough. The entire point of using a standard is so that you don't have to do it yourself. Ultimately, it just seems to create work for the sake of creating work.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Using the most common 5000 words in the english language covers something like 97% of human speech. If you know it's a pass phrase somehow, you can reduce the possible entropy from 37^65 to 30000^4, going from 'will never be guessed' to 'I sure hope you didn't pick Correct horse battery staple'.

I want to ride my bike -> common sentence, easy to guess, bad passphase
Lexicon puckin horse linguist -> Doesn't follow english rules, less structured and therefore better entropy, uses words that are uncommon or unique

Adding a punctuation sign(s), capitalizing a few letters and misspelling some words would further improve on this, wouldn't it?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

sarehu posted:

Users will gently caress up the copy/paste and cost money getting customer support and complaining on Yelp.

As opposed to being forced to type in a weak password that will be easily guessed and then cost money getting customer support to un-gently caress their account and complain on Yelp.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

From everything I've read (and tried), ChomeOS is actually a VERY tough nut to crack from a security point of view. Its biggest drawback is its biggest strength -- it's basically just a web browser and not much else. That's a pain in the butt if you want to color outside that line at all (like running a local password manager), but it also reduces the attack surface to about as small as it can get.

I never had a chromebook and I don't really have a clue what they can and cannot do, so please forgive my stupid question: Do they not have a way to access a storage device? Because, if they do have some kind of means of accessing a storage device, then maybe one could save the password database there and copy on the same drive a copy of keepass compiled for arm (or whatever cpu they have) and run it from there? Sure, it wouldn't be synchronized with the android one, but how often do you change the database?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

vOv posted:

This is unironically good though. Digital cultural archiving is a big thing and it'd be lovely if it all got lost.

This is one piece of software that i would not feel sorry if it got lost into ether.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh man I can't wait until we have implants in our brains and I get hacked by someone sneezing on me

Sneezing? Now that's well wishing. It will be some russian guy 6000km away, that will ask for 500 bitcoin or he'll blow up your brain.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a small question about the WiFi security (or lack of).
Is it better (as in safer, even by a tiny bit) to set your wifi to be hidden (not broadcast ssid) or not? Use case: Living in a place where there are tens of wifi access points, some even open. Then, wouldn't it make sense that if someone is looking for some "free" wifi to steal to go where the doors are open? Or even if the doors are closed, at least he knows that the doors are there?
For a determined thief, the ssid being broadcast or not is irrelevant, as there are always ways to find it, but for the not so determined thief ... aren't there easier targets?. I am not talking about not having a passphrase, that's out of the question of course, but just not be obviously "out there".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

Any benefit to security by having a hidden ssid (almost none) is far outweighed by the added inconvenience of trying to use an AP with a hidden SSID.

Are there (as far as anyone can tell) any downsides though? Security-wise not convenience.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

wolrah posted:

The way I see it hiding the SSID actually has the opposite effect as most people are expecting, because for the client to find the AP they instead have to be constantly broadcasting "Hey <hidden SSID>, are you out there?" any time they're looking for networks to connect to. Now instead of their AP advertising its presence within its own range where any activity would be visible anyways, you have all the clients advertising that they're looking for a certain AP anywhere they go. That could probably be abused with fake AP attacks.

hmm, that does sound like a possible thing to happen, indeed. thanks for the info.
The idea was not about not using encryption (I was under the impression that WEP is .. nothing really, a coffee maker can decrypt that) or passphrase, but about simply not advertising your presence as much, especially when there are so many others to choose from. But yes, if the device itself then needs to yell to the world looking for that AP, then that's not good.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Well, i guess this settles it then.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I don't think any of the registrars force you to take hosting. Just buy the domain name (may or may not get free WHOIS privacy, depending on promos and stuff) and think about hosting and other stuff later.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

That happens when you delete the file. Running fstrim or defrag /O tells the drive's firmware that the system isn't expecting much disk activity, so it should erase the sectors soon. It is a performance thing, but there's no other generic way to do it other than erasing the entire drive.

In other news, it's the gift that keeps on giving:

Here's the fake site making fun of them, with a screencap of that tweet.

Is everyone at Equifax drunk or high nowadays? I mean, I understand , I feel for them, but holy poo poo.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
But, what could bankrupt them (other than the US government going medieval on their asses, which I don't think it will)? Is not like the millions of creditors around the world will stop sending them money and data and paying them and whatnot.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

There are three other companies that do the exact same thing, except they didn't just reveal they are completely incompetent.

There are 3 more (which are probably just as incompetent) that's true, but will the creditors really care? Is not like I chose Equifax and Transunion and whoever else to hold my data in the first place. Unless I'll hear big banks yelling form the top of their lungs that Equifax is cancer and they won't do business with them anymore, it's safe to assume they'll be fine money-wise and can continue doing drugs and drinking on the job.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

All companies that release a "cloud" version of their app by putting it into a RDP session can die.

How do their sales people can even say "cloud version" with a straight face when they know is just a loving computer somewhere that you remote into? It is not multitenant, it is not multiuser it is just a plain old desktop application. And how do CxOs believe that? Are they that incompetent (i think i know the answer ....)?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Furism posted:

Isn't that pretty much the definition of "cloud" ? Sure you can add bells and whistles and elastic this and scalable that, with a bit of SDN on top, but at the end a cloud is just someone else's computer you remotely connect to. RDP or SSH or HTTP API doesn't change much the basics.

I could be wrong though.

For me, the definition of the cloud is that remote machine also hosts a remotely-accessible service or application. Accessible by multiple users at the same time. If the application is not remotely accessible ... then all you have is a desktop application hosted "in the cloud". Essentially did nothing but inconvenience everyone and would be much more logical to just let them run it on their own desktops. Oh, that application needs to talk to a database that's shared between people? Sure, host that in the cloud if you want.
I mean what, because i run ls on a VM in AWS that sales guy will then say that ls is now "hosted in the cloud"? WTF?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Furism posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat, I know this, but I can't help correcting people who say SSL when they mean TLS. I even have a few slides in my training content just for that.

If you mean TLS say TLS. You don't call SSH as Telnet, do you?

I don't agree with that. Using either SSL or TLS you get a secure socket communication. The protocols are different yes, but the outcome is the same. The underlying protocol is only relevant to those that know the differences between the two, their flaws and strengths.
SSH vs telnet for the average person is the same: secure vs insecure communication. How actually that is done ... pretty much irrelevant.

Plus, even wikipedia agrees that in normal conversation people do refer to them as SSL:

quote:

Transport Layer Security (TLS) and its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), both frequently referred to as "SSL", are cryptographic protocols that provide communications security over a computer network.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fluue posted:

I'm working with a client that does business in online personal loans and was approached by their marketing team with a request to deprecate password authentication for customers. Instead, the user would provide two pieces of PII (e.g. Last 4 or Last 6 of SSN + Date of Birth) to authenticate and log in. My immediate reaction is that this is a terrible idea, but I was wondering if this is an "ok" authentication scheme given the following:

• The SSN is never exposed to the user once we collect it
  • The site is completely HTTPS with HSTS turned on
  • All PII is stored on a different server that does not directly interface with the internet (the server a user submits data to then forwards that data to the business database where business logic is applied for credit decisions). I am not in charge of that database/business logic sever, so I can't provide any details about it. I have been assured it is PCI compliant, however.
  • The worst action someone could take if they accessed an account would be triggering a soft or hard credit pull (and there is a fraud team watching credit decisions) -- still a pretty big impact if there's a user account breach
  • PII exposed back to the user (in terms of inspectable via network requests on the user's machine) includes: employer, address, phone number, annual income, etc.

Additionally, the customer base is not always computer savvy -- I've heard of support agents having to walk a customer through setting up an email account before using the client's site. So the primary driver for this, in marketing's mind, is to reduce user friction.

I want to get some better argument against this terrible idea besides "DOB and last 4 are easy to glean from nearly any document," so I can stop them from shooting themselves in the foot.

Given the fact that today SSNs are public domain, a password does sound a bit more secure against an account breach. Not by much, but a tiny itsy bit, for the simple fact that hopefully is a unique one and nobody knows it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fluue posted:

b) It'll cost them extra in fraudulent credit pulls (though they'd expressed that they don't care much about these extra costs??)

This sounds disturbing so probably I'm missing something here. To me it sounds like they don't care because they'll make their money (or bonuses) anyhow, so ... who cares about fraudulent pulls?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Well, maybe.

What if there's more vulnerabilities then ever before and the same or less percentage is being found? WHAT THEN?

Then the Equifax thingy will be looked upon as the "good-old times" by the future. And you can probably bet anything that there are more vulnerabilities than ever before. Since 1997 everybody and their mother has been doing some kind of development. From lovely php websites to monster applications that do millisecond stock transactions or ones that drive cars by themselves. 99.9999% of the programmers out there never think about security. For 99.999% of managers, security is not something that is worth budgeting for. And for 99.99% of companies is cheaper and easier to just ignore it and say "my bad" when security breaches do happen. The fact that Equifax is still doing business after this debacle is a testament of the importance of security for ... everyone basically.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Equifax wasn't taken down by vulnerabilities from 2017, and if that is shocking to you then maybe you can begin to understand why a record number of vulnerabilities reported in the first 3/4 of this year is a very bad thing. I didn't read the rest of your post.

Nobody said that those vulnerabilities are "young". They've been there since forever. Vulnerabilities reported is a bad thing, but not because they've been reported but because those are only the 0.1% of what's out there. There are plenty to go, and the amount of vulnerable code will only increase. And there will always be those people (state sponsored or not) that will not disclose anything from the vulnerabilities that they do know.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

Wait so to be safe from Meltdown on Win10 x64, I will need both a BIOS update and the Windows patch? My mobo is 7 years old, I don't see a BIOS update happening any time soon.

Would that mean I'd literally have to move to Linux to be secure? Or would that even be enough?

This has nothing to do with BIOS , only OS. Yes, updating windows will make you as secure as you can reasonably be at this time.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What's the consensus here about not allowing pasting into password fields? In my opinion it lowers security by preventing the use of password managers, while bringing nothing to the table. Are there engineers out there that favour this approach towards password fields?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Got into a fun discussion today that this thread might enjoy pondering.

Let's say that, for bullshit legal reasons, you want to encrypt something and NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession.
Other ideas?

I was just about to suggest a FIDO U2F key, but then I realized you said: "NOT keep the password in your memory or anywhere in your possession. ". The key would obviously mean that the "password" would be kept somewhere in your possession. To be fair it could be a vault in a bank, with specific instructions that Trump, Obama and Bush have to be present personally for that box to be opened. But still, it fails that requirement.

Without keeping the password (in some way, shape or form) I don't see how the data can be decrypted, ever. Even if you have an algorithm that can generate the password from a known set of bytes (book, PI, or game roms) , then that set of bytes is essentially the password. So, you need to have the password.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
If nobody is reinventing the wheel most of us will be unemployed. We definitely do not want that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This is my Scare Em Straight video whenever I need to beat into people's heads why they need to be using password managers, yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U-RbOKanYs

With this as a followup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjQ9b3pgIg

And then they go and pick lastpass or 1password or whatever some other lovely password manager service .

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

I am a bit lost too: why do you need a browser plugin? What's wrong with the desktop application? You can copy and paste usernames and passwords from it into the appropriate login forms, never having to worry about automation making a mistake.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Saukkis posted:

One option is to do your emailing and suspect browsing inside a virtual machine and store your Keepass on the host computer.

How does that help? Software can get out of a VM. I mean, if we're in paranoid mode and hell bent on doing stupid useless poo poo, there is absolutely nothing that can protect you, your computer or your data from the dangers of the internet. The only safe computer is turned off, guts ripped out and under 4m of concrete.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

I don’t have any links, but I’ve heard that in a few places.

People have been harping on the ‘s’ and the padlock so much, that most users don’t even notice the EV or understand what it means.

A former boss of mine complained to me that the latest website that I launched for the company only had a green lock in the address bar, didn't show the company name like it does with PayPal. I showed him how much that would cost and what is involved ... the green lock only is fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WW3 will be fought online as well as on the battlefield. And the networks will be just as important as strategic victories/cities.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It turns out that spending hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to ingest loving nmap scans is a bad use of security resources.

On the other hand: holy poo poo, are companies doing this? That's money that could go in my pocket for basically nothing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thunderbird rules. Thunderbird works. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Thunderbird is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Thunderbird is useless. Without my Thunderbird, I am useless.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hackbunny posted:

No idea, they're embargoed and people are very tight-lipped about it. The rumored codenames for both include the word "smack", for what it's worth

Oh, they have codenames now?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

If your passwords aren’t worth $3/mo, just use the same one everywhere

Which is what i do (and have them all set to 1234. nobody would guess that). For those passwords that are worth $3/month I use keepass (1,2,X, whatever) which incidentally asks me for 0$/month. Win/win if you ask me. Now, if you come and ask: "but how do you ... " with keepass, the answer is "you don't". That is what is not worth 3$/month.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

What the hell is this logic? You pay more = better than?

poo poo guys, better wrap up all your distros and switch to Windows and Macs.

It is a known fallacy which is being taken advantage by corporations. The name is appeal to wealth or argumentum ad crumenam: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Appeal_to_money

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I played with it since everyone is praising it like it's the second coming. I used openvpn before as a client. I have absolutely no other experience with VPN servers or clients. It took me 10 minutes to install and configure a server following the first guide i found on the internet. The client (my machine) was even shorter. It works fine, it has good throughput. The tutorial I've read held my hand just fine.

Wireguard is fine. Too bad is linux only so far, I hope for a *BSD solution as well. Windows ... meh, who cares.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what does that gently caress up mean for me? A person with Linux machines running ssh (w/ public key access only)? Should I just assume all my poo poo is out there now or …?

Probably not a lot. You can start by looking to see what depends on libssh on your system. For example:
code:
dnf repoquery --whatrequires libssh --installed

ffmpeg-libs-1:4.0.2-4.fc29.x86_64
kde-runtime-libs-0:17.08.3-9.fc29.x86_64
kio-extras-0:18.04.3-2.fc29.x86_64
libcurl-0:7.61.1-3.fc29.i686
libcurl-0:7.61.1-3.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-client-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-interface-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-libxl-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-lxc-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-network-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-nodedev-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-nwfilter-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-secret-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-core-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-disk-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-gluster-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-iscsi-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-iscsi-direct-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-logical-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-mpath-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-rbd-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-scsi-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-sheepdog-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-zfs-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-uml-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-vbox-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
libvirt-libs-0:4.7.0-1.fc29.x86_64
remmina-0:1.2.32-1.fc29.x86_64
remmina-plugins-nx-0:1.2.32-1.fc29.x86_64
wireshark-cli-1:2.6.2-1.fc29.x86_64
The server in here is libvirt-daemon that's using apparently libssh so that's a good indication that it is vulnerable, at least to some extent. The others are clients, completely harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s the 10 year anniversary of MS07-067.

gently caress Trustwave.