Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The Internet is going to be hell whenever they get hacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I would like to point out that the NIST curves everyone uses used some arbitrary value for the generator seed, so there's no telling if the NSA tampered with them or not. Until this draft becomes an RFC or TLS 1.3 comes out and Curve 25519 support becomes mainstream, you're better off using RSA.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Also, I specifically mentioned Curve25519 as a response to that exact issue. The number it uses was chosen because it's the smallest number that performs well for its security level. It's already used in OpenSSH, and it will be in TLS 1.3 alongside the NIST curves.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

You know, most organizations I see constantly have prompts to update Acrobat Reader and Java and whatever. You can argue about antivirus all you want, but regardless, it's not the most important step in security.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Seven million characteristics.

:nsavince:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

So, Windows 10 just got updated, and

Zero VGS posted:

Also, the update uninstalls Classic Shell. Thanks fuckfaces!

Guess what simultaneously happened to Classic Shell's hosting provider:

Klyith posted:

:siren:

:siren: holy poo poo don't re-install classic shell they got hacked :siren:
http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6434
:frogsiren: :frogsiren:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

(unless you're using a previously saved known-good installer file)

Microsoft makes good decisions, guys. Really. :ironicat:

Also, don't download anything from FossHub, if it wasn't obvious enough.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol

Why the hell don't people use secureboot?

Because then you wouldn't see the funny message and would instead get a cryptic error message from UEFI. SecureBoot doesn't stop you from wiping out the bootloader. Not running untrusted or unsigned applications as admin, staying up to date, and not doing stupid things to your partitions does.

(This particular group didn't include a UEFI version because it was a waste of their time, but they could have done so trivially if they had the build environment set up.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh hey, it gets better!

Softpedia posted:

On Twitter, the hacker said he compromised the entire website, including the administrator's email. He also revealed he didn't dump the site's database but claimed that "passwords weren't salted."

Later, Cult of Peggle told Softpedia that they "in fact dump[ed] the partner database for FOSSHub, the database containing usernames and logins for application developers who uploaded their binaries through the site. Our tweet on the subject may not have been clear," the hacker explained.

But that's no problem, because the developers would obviously use completely different passwords for every service they use! What could possibly go wrong?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

TheFluff posted:

The point about allowing unicode made me recall this tangentially related hack: https://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

Unicode in passwords has kind of the opposite problem. Say you wanted to use the character 'ń' in your password. The problem is, there are two different 'ñ's: U+00F1 by itself (ń), and a U+006E followed by a U+0303 (ñ). They're semantically identical, but they will produce totally different hash values. While that's an easy problem to solve, there are a ton of edge cases in Unicode that can make passwords fail to match up. For instance, there's a modifier character for certain emoji that lets you change the skin color. Some systems could strip out that character, resulting in an entirely different password. For the Web in particular, you have to rely on browsers and servers using consistent and correct implementations of Unicode, or your users could get locked out when their browser updates.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 19, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

When comparing Linux with the NT kernel, I'd say Linux has a slight lead due to the LSMs and the monolithic architecture (less bad drivers, since there's less of a need for third-party drivers). Comparing Windows with OSs using Linux, I'd say Windows, primarily because Windows handles authorization based on what an application is trying to do, not what the application is. With Linux, you are either a user or an administrator, but you can run specific programs as an administrator even if you are a user. With Windows, you can hand out certain rights to users without giving them full administrative privileges in any application. Overall, though, they're fairly comparable, and it's more a matter of preference.

Unless you're talking about GUIs, in which case, all I'll say is stay the gently caress away from X.Org as root. It's trash and has been for a decade. Wayland can't come fast enough.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The latest SMBC is appropriate:

The Infosec Thread: It's people! The security vulnerability is people!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Can't you forbid Windows from installing new drivers without administrator approval? There should be no reason you'd have drivers for an ethernet-over-USB device installed on a desktop in most work places.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Just lock the computer in a case with some vent holes. Problem solved.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This but unironically: 127.234.43.124

Great ping on that address. It's almost as if that machine is right next to me.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

If I was Red Team and wanted to try and elevate privilege the first thing I would look for is a Scheduled Task configured to run a PowerShell script in the context of a privileged service account. Then I would see if I can edit the script referenced by the task. I'd reckon that 9/10 times the NTFS permissions on the .ps1 file would allow an unprivileged user to edit it. Depending on how privileged the service account is you can cause some serious havoc.

If you're running PS scripts via Scheduled Tasks either setup signing and/or lock-down NTFS permissions on the script files themselves.

Also deploying WMF 5.0 to your fleet is beneficial as you can then enable auditing for PowerShell on endpoints. Not exactly a security feature but does provide a good source for monitoring.

Edit: whilst I'm here I want to say that disabling Windows Firewall on servers is the dumbest loving thing ever unless you have reason to do so (Performance usually the thing).

To add to this: most software installation programs I've seen don't touch the permissions of their files. They just inherit whatever permissions are on the containing folder. If that folder isn't in Program Files, which many installers do to avoid spaces in the path, there are going to be problems, since permissions are very lenient on the drive itself. Real users can do just about anything to said files.

If an installer takes the slightly more sane route of putting stuff in ProgramData, the users shouldn't be able to edit scripts. But they can add whatever files they want into the folder, including programs and DLLs. If the script calls programs without specifying the full path, and the task has set its working directory to the script's directory, then anybody can put a program with the same name as the command into the directory, and the script will run that program instead of the command it was trying to run.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Postscript is turing complete so you can load the code to calculate the hash in to memory, execute it, and have it parse its own file on the filesystem

I don't think a GIF can execute code, though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

skull mask mcgee posted:

Should note that the reduction of trust will be a gradual change across several Chrome releases, so that 30% of the web has some time to get their poo poo together.

That's for the validity periods. The main sanction is refusing to accept EV certificates as EV, which takes effect "immediately" (i.e. once the proposal gets accepted, the bug report gets made, and the pull requests go through, it will show up in Beta). If you aren't buying EV certificates, you might as well be using Let's Encrypt.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

Da, tovarisch, I am American who wants MAGA. Pozhalucta give Ukraine to Putin.

Yup, looks legit.

Looks like they're mostly exploits for vulnerabilities that have already been patched, so probably targeting intermediaries that never update their poo poo (read: every one of them). Oh, and a bunch of Solaris attacks because lol Oracle.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I loving love Cloud To Butt right now.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Randomly generate admin credentials when the product sticker is made (not derived from the MAC address, serial number etc.) use QR code in mobile app as part of setup process to set those credentials on the device. Advanced users can change it later if they want to.

AT&T does the sticker thing for their routers. They don't have any symbols, but they're a reasonable length and are fairly random.

Subjunctive posted:

My vacuum (right?) has a fixed random password

I was thinking about hand-pushed vacuums and trying to figure out why they would need a password. I'm getting old.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 10, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

“So what are we having for dinner today?”

“Nice, succulent, slow-cooked cloud computing.”

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh my god, this one doesn't even have a dial. It's either the app or loving Alexa. :lol:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

If anyone is still doing evaluations, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the vendor isn't using extremely sensitive live data in its demos.

(Source is WSJ, so I linked a summary due to the paywall.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Furism posted:

So in the spirit of bashing IoT device makers, here's a new one (I think): https://www.pentestpartners.com/blog/iot-aga-cast-iron-security-flaw/

Neither the mobile app or website uses HTTPS, they in fact actively disabled SSL hostname validation, their website allows for enumeration of phone numbers, which is a problem because you control the cooker over a loving SMS with no authentication whatsoever.

quote:

9th April 2017 – Discovered that @Aga_official had blocked me on Twitter!

"If we ignore the problem, maybe it will go away."

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Part of the problem is that's GeForce Experience, which is a notoriously lovely program that NVIDIA loves to bundle with their driver updates. Their custom build of Node is always out of date. I have never seen a release that hasn't set off PSI.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

Shagger: the linux subsystem

LOL no.

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/860681252034142208

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Best case scenario is it's Remote Assistance. Slightly worse is NTLM because gently caress NTLM for still existing.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

windows firewall

windows defender

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

What do I win?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

MS spent zero money on that patch because they already made it for POSready.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Yeah, a local admin has to be tricked into opening a malicious file. But once that happens, say goodbye to your domain. This is why you don't give out admin privileges like candy.

Also, you can show the command line in Task Manager by adding the "Command line" column to the Details pane. This shows you what DLL and function is being run through rundll32, so you can tell if it's malicious or not. Don't just go around killing every instance of rundll32 you see.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Windows makes me want to defenestrate my computer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

There should be a note about Let's Encrypt in the OP, besides the link with outdated text that says nothing about what it does. Never spend money on DV certificates.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Here come my terrible poasts:

Serious question: Why are the lovely NIST curves still above 25519? Most of the RFCs for it are either published or in the queue.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The NIST curves are vetted and not exactly "lovely". 25519 has a strength roughly equivalent to P256 and when translating from asymm their comparable symm cipher would be AES128. Since the world is pretty well standardizing on AES256 since the overhead is proving a non-issue then you need equivalent strength key exchange.

The problem with the NIST curves is there are no public design documents. The NSA already backdoored one algorithm, so it's possible they put a backdoor in the curves as well.

I understand the concerns about strength. I guess we need to wait for X448 support for a better option.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Good news, everyone!

(This is officially going to take longer than the death of XP, which is still getting updates through that loving registry hack.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

If you've actually committed a crime, maybe you shouldn't go to a convention that's about stopping the crime you committed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

incoherent posted:

government's case can't be that friggin strong if they let him back onto twitter.

If they're competent, they'd have firewalled him and forced him to install a root certificate so they can watch everything he does.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

So a money hole then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fraud alerts are you putting a message on your credit report telling lenders to be suspicious of any attempts to get credit. It's up to the lenders to pay attention. It's generally free to do so.

Freezes prevent access to your credit report, and anyone who needs it will automatically deny whatever they need it for. These usually cost money unless someone actually stole and used your identity, and the cost varies by state.

Except Equifax's freeze process is apparently completely useless. Don't give them any money or sign up for anything through them.