Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Double Punctuation posted:

I was thinking about hand-pushed vacuums and trying to figure out why they would need a password. I'm getting old.

It's not that?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Solaron posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/20/how-to-spot-a-phishing-attempt-fake-apple-site/

I'd never seen this before - our corporate version of Chrome still shows this: https://www.xn--80ak6aa92e.com as https://www.apple.com for me. Just a proof of concept, I know.

IE won't go to the phishing link. It just says check the spelling and try again. Was it already taken down?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Fired up an instance of Chrome, and I can paste the link in to there, but it shows it as https://www.xn--80ak6aa92e.com instead of apple. So I guess my users are safe at work.

Relatedly unrelated, Chrome's now throwing up a "Your connection is not secure" to users accessing one of our subdomains, because it's mixed http/https, and we're getting a number of tickets and calls about it. I'm stepping on our applications team to fix it, but they say it's not critical, so they'll fix it as they get around to it. :sigh: The desensitization is going to come back to bite us, I know it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
What's a good free program to use to encrypt USB sticks being sent through the mail? Security is paramount, but something relatively easy for non-techies to use would be a huge plus.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

Bitlocker.

We don't give out local admin, so the non-techies wouldn't be able to enable it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Could you install 7zip?

Oh wow, I didn't realize 7zip did encryption. That's actually perfect then. Thanks! :)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Klyith posted:

A better question would be why are employees who need to send secure, encrypted data:
a) disallowed from admin access so they're locked out of bitlocker and presumably therefore not using full-disk encryption, making giant risks if someone's laptop gets stolen?
b) sending USB sticks through the mail like a bunch of cavemen?

But I guess those questions belong in one of the stupid IT stories threads.

A) No one gets admin except IT. At all. Ever. We provide network drives for people to store things on, so FDE isn't required because none of that information is local.

B) Because it's a file from the municipal government, and their guideline is "No emailing our files, or we'll sue you. Yes you can mail them."

The issue arose because the first USB sent out was an encrypted USB, so everything was just on it, but the recipient entered the wrong password enough that the data was wiped. There was no second USB laying around, and no one wanted to drive the hour there and back to pick one up.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Evis posted:

I take it you aren't concerned about attackers with local access?

Not particularly. First they'd need to grab someone's account credentials, and then they'd only have access to what that person's permissions give them, and we have Windows' Previous Versions going @ 7am and noon, so a delete rampage isn't terribly effective, and so the only thing they could really do is Exfiltrate data, which the only data we have that's worth exfiltrating is students' personal info such as address or grades, and that's in a web-based program that doesn't have a mass export option. Is it possible something could happen? Yes, absolutely. Is it likely? No, not really. Is it something we've worked to mitigate anyway? You betcha. But with our users, FDE would likely cause more issues than it solves.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Cool platitude but SMB2+ is definitely better and FTP permissions are garbage.

I think he's referring to the printer being newer, but not better.

Because, ya know. Printers.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dylan16807 posted:

With enough time, and enough dyson spheres. The entire output of the sun can't even count to 2^200 in a thousand years.

The difference between a 1 nanosecond lockout and a 30 second lockout is only 2^35. Reduce a 200 bit password to 165 bits and it's still bulletproof. Something else will give out first.

Congratulations you just ensured the password will be found on the 3rd try.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

A dev broke one of our internal tools, and everyone's password field contents, stored in plaintext, was suddenly displaying as the username attribute :allears:

:murder:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

fyallm posted:

I failed the CISSP by 3 points. Shoot me in the loving face now

:commissar:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, before the hack, why was CCleaner bad? Just placebo software?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

evil_bunnY posted:

Of course now lobbyists will make sure class actions can never amount to anything.

Will? Isn't there literally a bill in the House that says "Class action can't do poo poo all" right now?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Portland Sucks posted:

All of my co-workers are screaming bloody murder at Microsoft because the recent security patching fixing the Office code execution vulnerability broke all of their lovely VB scripts that are still using Office 98 OLEDB drivers. A formal letter has been drafted to petition IT to turn off all further updates to our Windows running computers. :yotj:

The answer will be a round of firings of everyone who signed the petition, I hope.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It works on a locked mac. After the trick has been enabled.

Sooooo, don't leave your mac unlocked and you're fine?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I obviously could be, that's just been my understanding. Obviously you're very pro-Applocker, I'm not trying to poo poo on you or anything and it's weird you're referring to me in 3rd person like that, I've just have had an excellent experience with alternate solutions and Applocker isn't really considered sufficient for highly secure enterprises.

There’s highly secure enterprises in Vancouver?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes sir, I tend to be pretty private/vague when posting stuff about my work (or myself for that matter) publicly on SA, but yup.

I just figured y'all were too stoned to bother with security. :shrug: Maybe after I study more security stuff I should move to Vancou then. Can I crash in your cardboard box?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

, like for a security-related job posting, we might get 20 applicants, not a single security cert or previous position. It's a buyer's market! For jobs, not for real estate.

Okay, serious questions time:

I'm completely self-trained on everything I know. I'm currently studying for Sec+, and then plan to get a couple courses from SANS. My only official experience in IT work is service desk. Once I have those SANS courses, how high up the list would that get me for an interview?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Sweet. I'm really enjoying security stuff. Not "glamorous" stuff like pen testing or red teams, but setting up an environment that allows users to do what they need, no more, no less, while minimizing risk of data breeches. HIDS and NIDS and all that fun poo poo. It's something I'd like to get in to as my focus. Just don't know what aspect yet. Really appeals to my nit-picky nature.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Seriously, show you want to do well at this job.

There are so many labs out there for FREE (I recently saw a GitHub script that loads one of a hundred different testing labs. They are out there) to find out what you want to do.

I know there's a bunch of Canadian goons, and some of those are Alberta goons. Any recommendations for decent groups to join for someone in Edmonton? Virtual or IRL?

What was fun is in the Sec+ study guide, the pre-assessment exam I got 65% on, no studying, but I really saw myself going "I know this is the answer, but I don't know why" which gave me a good batch of things to look towards learning.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My Edmonton infosec group is me and one other guy. You are more than welcome to join our ranks.

The Calgary group is way better for basically all the reasons CLAM stated.

I will take you up on that offer. Hit me up with the details.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I think it’s just the adding accounting to the new specialty group. Seems extraordinarily useless.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Okay, this is bad, I get that. What I don’t get is, if you’re running VMs for private use and there’s no direct connection to the WAN, they’re ostensibly safe, right?

I’m just trying to figure out the full scope of how hosed this is.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

Good write up and fits my understanding of the issue as well.

Now imagine how big of the deal this is on something like AWS or Azure with potentially thousands of guests on the same hardware.

E:

The risk is minimized in your scenario, yes.

Thanks. Now tomorrow I’m going to grill our infrastructure team on what lives on what physical host. I know our terminal server is in trouble with this.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Could you pay them to stop making it?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volguus posted:

What's the consensus here about not allowing pasting into password fields? In my opinion it lowers security by preventing the use of password managers, while bringing nothing to the table. Are there engineers out there that favour this approach towards password fields?

I have nothing but contempt for anyone who disables pasting into password fields. Burn them all.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mewse posted:

This is what that screen actually looks like apparently

https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/953127542050795520

4 posts up, dude.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

The SwiftOnSecurity twitter account is one of those parody accounts where you're supposed to think it's hilarious that a woman could be any good at computers.

I thought the joke wasn't "a woman" but "Taylor Swift" specifically? Is that not the case?

poo poo. :(

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

The “joke” is that it’s a pop star AND that it’s a lol woman, though the emphasis is on the later. As an experiment, replace Taylor Swift with Bruno Mars in your mind.

Funnier if it's The Rock. Or Macho Man, but

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, still funny.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Stick the microSD card in your foreskin. If you don’t have any either by birth or circumcision, borrow someone else’s.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

We are talking about a service which the entire purpose is to share GPS information.

And people are being surprised that GPS information is being shared.

We are talking about a pervasive corporate culture that universally believes your information is theirs to do whatever the gently caress they want with unless you specifically tell them no, and even then you don't have much control or granularity. It's not this one instance, as hilarious as it is, but the complete back-rear end-wards-ness of how companies treat private information as a secondary revenue source.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlternateAccount posted:

For things that aren't hypercritical, I usually answer security questions as a fictional character. Makes it easier to remember, since I am REAL HUMAN BEAN, and my favorite whatever is subject to change.

Hey, that's a good idea. What character do you use?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Took me reading the post below the linked one to notice that was duffleblog.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I asked once in a different thread, and don't remember if I got an answer, but since password managers have come up again:

Are there any glaring issues with using the iOS password generator and manager? Or subtle issues even.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inept posted:

Yep the content blockers in iOS work pretty well. I used to VPN to my home network which was running PiHole as another layer of blocking, but I stopped bothering because there are few ads that get through any more.

Whoa, iOS has content blockers built in now?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm going to sound like an idiot, but how to use the native one? I've been using a downloaded one called Purify.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bobfather posted:

There's not a native one, just 3rd-party blockers like Purify. By the way, Purify was found to be sort of bad. Consensus has been to use Firefox Focus if you want free, or 1Blocker if you don't mind paying.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been using it for like two years, and I didn't do a ton of research first. I don't mind paying as long as it's not like $20, so I'll look at both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dylan16807 posted:

Sure, I guess, but the comparable sentence for something like low-value identity theft is probably a misdemeanor and actually less than what I was suggesting.

UK seems to have 10 years per count for their equivalent of felony identity theft, which this would probably count as. EU regulations are likely tougher, but I can't find specifics. So one count for each person who had this installed on their system.