Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I liked FUCKWIT more than Meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

So many of our machines are pre-Haswell or are Haswell and are from a local computer store, not an actual vendor.

gently caress me sideways.

Good opportunity to get that fixed

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is it the part of the thread where we discuss using pictures as passwords again?

goatman is my password

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent

You could just compile it yourself from Github if that tickles your fancy.

e: I thought the main version has been hosted on FossHub for ages? https://www.fosshub.com/qBittorrent.html

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

anthonypants posted:

And didn't FossHub get compromised a few years ago?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/05/pegglecrew_we_hacked_fosshub_so_ransomware_scum_couldnt_and_also_for_fun/

the internet was a mistake

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Also everyone using different draft versions doesn't help adoption either.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Build your computer from scratch with raw materials.
the code is coming from inside the silicon

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

EDIT: I'm curious, EssOEss, what does your company do?

Maybe they're an SSL Reseller.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's happening

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/23/tls_1_3_approved_ietf/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm trying tenable.io for the first time, it's really slick. Big step up from the older version of Security Centre that I've used for years at my last job.

welp that's my monday infosec thoughts, cheers

But it ain't DarkTrace levels of pretty.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

apseudonym posted:

Cant go public without codenames

Especially in August.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I used local files that synced with another file in Google Drive. That sorted out my issues.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

OK, so if you had to speculate, what does the following represent?

code:
05wqxDzZzGzKnqHm03uUxVSa+NuUHSFWzBxl9TftEiq239mFSsRO5wumvSQBSbtUZTTMukWUiaMdCIatnL6bOuHW71pQAmOuO/a
En9WijrzP1Em4y7mgnrTJiP7mZXipiLsdKxZtlNnXd6v2M2DLiqxlKheaA0UOhPIhDaqpufELmhd6asAIhGSANC5ukxSE2cyQND
ftV/TIuPTBZ6FFCIGMZrQFSa2tmN2hGFioFVLb+MFl0UAmcIxnxunXSTXWXH6UAsDp3AxFGbdHQGtPwzVKlsLniG/XA+msbXp+O
ZVK4fouD1WatLcBfo+iHLqjvaPazpUMe5UFW1RcGYxooE5Dq1lpJGfOxYoAA+RDJktW9aTIQXiCrv34onqSt/DmkWRfwbF6guoF
9ijYrJQCNP9IwydUeZdJFAUuGr6Zu9zx5HCabuZyNsr8Tq7oWSOvmCZcFxupFLf5pYvLrPuman1w==

Don't doxx me

(base64 encoded string?)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Samsung software is universally terrible. I wouldn't touch it with a mile-long pole.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ev certs are a scam

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you don't know this, that's okay, I'm mostly just quoting you for a reference.
Is there any progress on browsers other than Safari on iOS dropping visual EV cert indication, as happened about a year ago?

Chrome 77 apparently does away with them.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's not very GDPR compliant.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

This may be a bit babytown for this thread, but I'm sick to death of needing 40 passwords, using six and forgetting which one I used every time I get logged out of something. Any recommendations for good, cheap (free?) password managers that I can use on multiple devices?

1Password is pretty good. LastPass is really bad.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kassad posted:

KeepAss is a very memorable name :colbert:

Expert Sex Change recommends KeepAss

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What are people's thoughts on record size limits for SPF records? A lot of documentation talks about limiting to 500 characters to stay inside the MTU so lookups don't revert to TCP mode out of concern that some systems might be UDP DNS only. But for that to be the case, wouldn't those mail systems need to be connecting over dial-up to get choked down to an MTU that small? It seems like 1400 characters is a more realistic cap given a typical 1500 mtu plus overhead for ipsec encapsulation and anything else, but the recommendations always seem to be 500. Are people just parroting a 15 year old consideration that doesn't matter any more or am I missing something?

the only real limit is 10 lookups afaik in accordance with the rfc, i've never heard of this limitation before and it sounds really dumb

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

is registering a domain really a heroic act

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

please don't post my mother's maiden name

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

imagine paying for decent software

e: troy is a landlord

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve been looking at various computers at the nursing station and often they’ll have very odd amounts of memory like 3.2 or 1.8, between two identical boxes. I don’t know much about windows or windows enterprise but it’s... weird.

Also opening just a few windows on Firefox while charting on many computers will cause it to grind to a halt.

3.2 implies 32-bit, 1.8 implies 256MB allocated to VRAM?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

cloudflare really loves defending fascists

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Doesn't MailChimp make you go through its custom domain authentication thing to get it to use your domain in FROM?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

when i hear passionate, i think about rogue brewery

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

The default MFA implementation on AWS only requires it for console logins, not API keys.

i wouldn't be surprised if the admin used lastpass for mfa too, in which case it doesn't matter where it's enabled :v:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

what the gently caress is the deal with auditors who want screenshots instead of console output?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the only thing i hate more than dealing with outdated packages is dealing with open source project contributors

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

start doing ransomware and only target bad orgs

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Our AWS bill is above the daily spending limit on our corporate card, so every month the charge is declined. Then someone in finance has to call and set up a split payment. Every loving month. We've been asking AWS to please set up a different way to pay, and they just are not motivated to do anything different.

Setup direct debit or paying by invoice? https://docs.aws.amazon.com/awsaccountbilling/latest/aboutv2/manage-debit.html

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

not to mention that there's a significant number of infosec folks who are also antivax and willing to lie about their vaccination status

but i guess that problem will sort itself out a few weeks after defcon

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

brave blocking websites' ads and then trying to extort the owners with their own ad solution was fun too

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sickening posted:

When you MDM macOS devices, what is your goal to even do? I feel like that is the million dollar question that I can't get a census on.

tick auditor boxes

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I feel like MicroTik has taken Ubiquiti's role as the prosumer choice.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

vulnerability disclosures will continue until morale improves

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I put every cert in my signature, including MCDST

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Treat it as an opportunity to reverse social engineer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

you don't know something i know? lmao, you imbecile, you loving moron