Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Markov chains are two thousand and late. Anyone can spin up GPT-2 on their home computer and start spitting these takes out.

even better, when reddit did its imposter april fools, I just recorded all the data and now randomly post it to twitter: https://twitter.com/BotImposter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

NPR Journalizard posted:

I once had to have a bank password that was exactly 8 characters long. No more, no less.

That is when you are working with old as poo poo databases with a fixed width on the field, if they are limiting you to 8char, that means /somewhere/ can't take a password longer then that, OR is storing it in the clear, OR its like DES and can only store 8chars

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Hrm.. Thats a interesting idea, making a rclone mount of SA Forums... Time to start hacking!

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

CyberPingu posted:

Thats not training people really, its teaching them to be script kiddies.

Its why i really like IppSecs stuff as if they do use MS they then show you a way not using it too

MS is a means to a end. It really depends on what you are doing. I find its better to understand the issue of why the exploit even works so you can tell blue team how to prevent a issue like this from being a issue in the first place!

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

CyberPingu posted:

Dont get me wrong its a great tool. Especially for time based poo poo like CTFs. But personally, if I was building Pen Test training id try stay away from it until the course covers how the exploits work. Its pointless getting someone to run Eternal Blue in a test environment without them understanding the whys and hows as thats not teaching someone properly how to look for things.

and the dangers of running random exploits on systems.

Don't forget that most of the NSA Exploits have something like a 45% BSOD rate.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

CyberPingu posted:

Yep,

Again, if you are pentesting, you are basically never going to use any of the DoS exploits in MS either, but if you havent been taught the difference between remote code execution and denial of service, you are just going to run whatever MS shows as a "match" for your search.

Well... The RCEs can cause DoS in most of the service/kernel level exploits. MS17-10 loves to BSOD boxes that have been running too long.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

CyberPingu posted:

They have to be Ruby modules

Searchsploit is the database of scripts

Metasploit also turns all this stuff into very much a "click and go" type thing where you just set your options (e g target host, port etc) and type run and it does it for you

Other scripts you need to find how to use them, edit things you need etc.

had to do that for a iDrac exploit, had coded IP/PORT in the C code that got cross compiled into another processor (Its the same processor as the dreamcast!) Kali didn't have GCC for it anymore. that to spin up a old debian VM and hand compile it. then edit the crap out of the python script to skip the compile and just send it the elf I had hand compiled.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

My DA Path for that pentest was iDrac>Esxi>Old Windows Template>Extract Local Admin Password>Unused, scan network for ssh>found vsphere ssh with that password>clone DC into a new VM>extract krbtgt hash>Create domain admin user using golden ticket -- One of the more interesting pens

the exploit was CVE-2018-1207

I do other hacking shenanigans over at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtCk3OMeV5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
loving RIP this doesn't surpise me at all. those nerds can't even comply with 800-171