Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is let's encrypt actually worth taking the x minutes to set up? I remember ready somewhere that all having a cert from them says is "this guy has a cert from us" but doesn't actually mean/do much else. Could be wrong though.

considering x=about 3, it's pretty brain-dead easy. Just remember to automate your renewals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Unless your person in charge of IT at the executive level is hip enough to not be susceptible to all the fearmongering clickbait and chain emails, you're probably going to be running AV on everything because WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF and no logic or intelligent discussion will sway them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

orange sky posted:

The US could start a war with any country in the world except perhaps NK and China and they'd know through the use of companies such as Google or Apple:

- Where every General is at the moment;
- Where every politician and aide is;
- Where any military gear is stashed.

When you have someone like Trump at the helm, that's.. Chilling as gently caress.

This requires/assumes that literally every mobile device is compromised on the entire planet. Or are you saying that Google/Apple would comply with requests to turn over such data?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Fool posted:

Google and Apple aren't really the best sources for that kind of information. The signal to noise ratio is usually too bad.

Companies like this, however, are not any where near as well known, and have some much scarier data sets.

Yeah, gotta imagine there are people on payroll or contract for the DoD that do this sort of tracking for a living.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Palantir used to be a lot more open about the capabilities of their software when hooked into social media feeds etc. but they presumably save all that for customer presentations now.

:nsa:

"Palantir Technologies is a mission-driven company, and a core component of that mission is protecting our fundamental rights to privacy and civil liberties."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EVIL Gibson posted:

You can't deny it! They make sure to gather all this information and make sure no one accesses it

If we don't have all the information, how can we be sure we're protecting it?!?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
For things that aren't hypercritical, I usually answer security questions as a fictional character. Makes it easier to remember, since I am REAL HUMAN BEAN, and my favorite whatever is subject to change.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Klyith posted:

2) crackable by the same methods as the pseudoramdom passwords people use now. grammar has rules, and you're probably using a phrase with common words and not something from a medical textbook. a safe phrase against hash attacks isn't 4 words, it's like 6-10.

"word1word2word3word4" yes.
"95word1+word2+word3+word4!" less so.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Trabisnikof posted:

Those are only meaningfully different for the most trivial of adversaries.

Can you explain this better?

A list of words alone can be attacked via a simple dictionary of common words, ok.

A list of words separated by a random character with a few others thrown in increases the entropy massively.

So for example, using a passphrase generator, I picked: "should lonely folks leaf"

password: shouldlonelyfolksleaf
entropy: 44.38

password: should lonely folks leaf
entropy: 67.228

password: should+lonely+folks+leaf87#
entropy: 83.764

Are you considering that a dictionary that contains all single characters AND common words could crack it as technically a password with only 10 actual "characters"? Does it not matter that you're running it against thousands of possible characters instead of just an alphabet?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Trabisnikof posted:

How many password attempts can an attacker achieve per hour?

If this is some unfiltered system with unlimited attempts, say like attacking hashes, then it’s only a marginal increase in effort to try my dictionary with different symbols between the words or with a short alphanumeric suffix or prefix. Might help make someone else a lower hanging fruit to crack, but if you’re targetted, the additional resources needed is a small increase in costs compared to the alternative.

If your attacker is limited in the number of attempts in any reasonable way, then a dictionary attack will fail regardless of swapping spaces with a different symbol.

No, I don't think that's right.

Cracking should+lonely+folks+leaf87# brute force is something like 60^27 possibilities = 1.02e48. But yeah, yeah, brute force.

Cracking it by utilizing 1000 most common words(which doesn't contain all four of those) with symbols and numbers gives you ~1050^10 = 1.63e30. Even if we grant that you figure out that only a single symbol is used between letters, that's still ~1050^8 = 1.48e24. Even at ten billion hashes per second, it's going to take 5 million years. Well, wait. If you somehow gather that the pattern is word/symbol/word/symbol, it becomes easier. Throwing a symbol between a couple of the words, rather than all 4 is safer, I guess.

Klyith posted:

Real good entropy stuff, thanks for this post.

Yeah, it's so difficult to come up with an actual metric that can be universally applied. The logic behind cracking is so much higher level than it used to be. And ideally, a proper difficult to crack password would be used on 1Password, with truly obscene generated passwords like VV$m6LKh72xaC;xFG)oYcZaapa unique for each website.

I guess it all also points toward passwords being more and more on the losing end of the arms race and need to die.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Klyith posted:

So yes,

until we come up with the replacement for passwords the only good method is memorizing one good one and using a vault.

Yeah, I don' think personal password security is accomplishable without some kind of vaulting, which of course imports its own headaches of either trusting someone else with all your secrets or managing all of it yourself correctly.

Thanks for your posts though, the bear analogy is a good one that I will steal.

Meanwhile our AD passwords are 8 characters with only modest character set requirements, so uhhh...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So we get "analysts" from our security team sending us giant exports of "SUSPICIOUS LOGIN ACTIVITY ON EXECUTIVE ACCOUNTS." Most of the time it's just page after page of BAD PASSWORD. They expect me to somehow grill our C-levels about whether or not it was them. No. I am not doing that.
If our crack security team can't somehow suss out where these logins are coming from and do some investigation without dealing with the spotty memory of the end user, wtf are they going to do if I come back and say yep, they say they were sleeping at this time. OK? NOW WHAT?

loving clowns.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cheese-cube posted:

Sounds like they're just running garbage-tier reports against your environment that identify things like "X account failed auth Y number of times in period Z". You wouldn't perchance be relying on a BPO for security operations stuff? Either way tell them to stop running rubbish Nessus reports and get a proper SIEM appliance that's configured to do correlation and analysis to actually identify real risks.

I am not sure of the details, but our entire security team seems to be very confused and think that visibility = security.

They're very big into buying tool after tool that watches this or that and generates piles and piles of logs and reports.

Let me put it to you this way: I manage just about everything in terms of endpoints, and never at any point in my years here has anyone from our security team thought to sit down and go over our general security posture for those endpoints. Ever.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Potato Salad posted:

2) looking at remote access from another angle, Bomgar

Bomgar's a legit good product, I think.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
*deletes app*

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Darchangel posted:

Uh, stupid question for someone who's not familiar with the issues, why is being acquired by Cisco bad, aside from "giant company acquires another good, small company and ruins it"?
We just switched to Duo and F5 BigIP for VPN where I work, so this may be relevant to me.

"This year has brought five undocumented backdoors in Cisco’s routers so far, and it isn't over yet. In March, a hardcoded account with the username “cisco” was revealed. The backdoor would have allowed attackers to access over 8.5 million Cisco routers and switches remotely."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They also like to create obnoxious and nonsensical dependencies, so that to use one product successfully, you've really gotta use this OTHER product. They want to be the go-to for SO many categories of product that they're not actually competitive in :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah but Umbrella spawned out of it, and ain’t that some poo poo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it still not work on IPv6 networks?

No idea. We're gonna roll it out though, because our security department is a bunch of creeps :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evil_bunnY posted:

https://twitter.com/kennwhite/status/1025401519481470982

is the best thing in infosec this year i will fite u

Getting root to the device is not the same thing as getting access to the coins stored on it. The "hackers" shifted the goalposts pretty hard.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

You don't think it's possible for a rooted device, which can execute enough code to play a video, cannot execute code to transfer buttcoins to an attacker's address? Didn't McAfee shift the goalposts later to claim that his "unhackable" claim didn't include hacking by security professionals?

No passphrase/hash or actual data is stored on the device. Even if a rooted one can actually connect to the bitfi dashboard, without the passphrase that cannot be extracted from the device, it's functionally useless. They've basically abandoned storing anything sensitive on the device, instead everything's either in your brain or in the blockchain itself. That's how I read it anyway.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ozymandOS posted:

what do you think you could do with a rooted device the next time the user enters their passphrase to access their butts

I am not sure. I haven't actually seen one run. Are you just entering it in on a kb?

Diva Cupcake posted:

wait, so this is basically single factor auth? does the bifti device itself hold no purpose? lol

This is what I can't figure out. Is it just a gateway device to their service/wallet? Why couldn't I just do all this over the web?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So is it just me, or is there a big fight coming about encrypted DNS? Tools like Cisco Umbrella want to have all DNS queries routed through them for "security", hell, your ISP wants your DNS traffic so it can serve you ads, and now Cloudflare and others are offering TLS encrypted servers?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Fool posted:

Don't forget DNS over HTTPS

Surprised this isn't becoming the browser-level standard, or at least a more publicized option.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

wolrah posted:

Mozilla is playing with it in Firefox test builds, but they're being strung up currently by privacy concerns since these tests necessarily override local DNS settings and instead send your queries to a third party, in this case Cloudflare, who the user may or may not trust.

That is logical, but I don't know why I would trust Cloudflare any less than my ISP, Google, or any other DNS provider.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Furism posted:

I can't wait to hear 5-10 years from now that CloudFlare is operated by NSA and they recorded a gazillion amount of requests and uncrypted content because they were doing TLS proxy under the pretense of caching.

I get that, but I don't think Cloudflare is any MORE likely to be in the pocket of the NSA than anyone else. At least with TLS you don't have to worry about the intermediate snoops.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Enjoying that we have hundreds of 840s and 850s in production with BitLocker and I've heard jack nor poo poo from our CISO on this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

astral posted:

Right, and the Samsung drive itself doesn't offer the HW encryption unless you go through a process (described by Diva Cupcake) to enable that.

That's a pretty big fuckin' relief.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

my cat is norris posted:

I guess this question is semi-related to InfoSec...

Anyone have a go-to tool for data recovery? Like, is there anything that'll recover from a formatted SSD, or am I pretty boned? ETA I do not know what kind of formatting was performed.

Never done it on an SSD, but GetDataBack has saved me a few times. Free trial will at least show you what it can get.

If the drive was just quick formatted, then the blocks were marked empty, but the data is still there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

repiv posted:

1Password is letting users give away a 1 year subscription for thanksgiving, PM me your email if you want some free 1Password.

Is this still a thing? They didn’t send me anything and I’d love to give one away.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rufus Ping posted:

the option is still showing up for me in the bottom right corner of my.1password.com when I log in

I think you need to be an individual or family subscriber (not 'teams') whose plan expiry date is in 2019 or later

Thanks!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
tf when a user wipes and reloads their machine to circumvent the management/security software. sigh.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, the person is only about 1 or 2 rungs down from the top in the org chart, so we'll see how that goes. I told my boss, who then felt obligated to escalate it, so we'll see what shakes out.

Modifying boot device was not specifically prevented, so welp.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jabor posted:

I mean, at that point it wouldn't have proper client certs, so the end result shouldn't be much different from if they'd bought in a personal laptop and tried using that?

LOL if you think we're cool enough to have certs actually required to do anything meaningful in this garbage fire company. No switch port security. Wifi key for corp network is pre-shared and has been the same for over a decade.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

bull3964 posted:

Then, aside from breaking policy, this guy didn't actually do anything negative to your security footprint.

I don't disagree with that, except that he normally wouldn't have local admin and then went ahead and installed a bunch of software on his new machine where he was God. The sad part is, dude is high enough up, and supposedly smart enough, he could have asked for an admin account for his use on the box and gotten it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also, WEIRD, the machine hasn't checked in since about an hour after it was re-enrolled 3 days ago. That's a few dozen 15m checkins missed, even though this person was working. It's almost like they took it home and did the same poo poo again. At this point I hope they get fired, but I know they won't. :\

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like they have some kind of compromised machine, better suspend the account until you can verify everything

LOL, I'd love to, but the user is across the country, and if I can't get the management suite to touch the box, I can't kill it. Not about to gently caress with his AD account. I am just gonna escalate it to my director and let him deal with it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
But.... phishable 2-factor is still >>>>>>>> single factor??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, so if you had to speculate, what does the following represent?

code:
05wqxDzZzGzKnqHm03uUxVSa+NuUHSFWzBxl9TftEiq239mFSsRO5wumvSQBSbtUZTTMukWUiaMdCIatnL6bOuHW71pQAmOuO/a
En9WijrzP1Em4y7mgnrTJiP7mZXipiLsdKxZtlNnXd6v2M2DLiqxlKheaA0UOhPIhDaqpufELmhd6asAIhGSANC5ukxSE2cyQND
ftV/TIuPTBZ6FFCIGMZrQFSa2tmN2hGFioFVLb+MFl0UAmcIxnxunXSTXWXH6UAsDp3AxFGbdHQGtPwzVKlsLniG/XA+msbXp+O
ZVK4fouD1WatLcBfo+iHLqjvaPazpUMe5UFW1RcGYxooE5Dq1lpJGfOxYoAA+RDJktW9aTIQXiCrv34onqSt/DmkWRfwbF6guoF
9ijYrJQCNP9IwydUeZdJFAUuGr6Zu9zx5HCabuZyNsr8Tq7oWSOvmCZcFxupFLf5pYvLrPuman1w==