Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Marinmo posted:

Agreed (also on the edit). Honest question: IF one autoupdates Keepass via it's autoupdater, is the new installer verified somehow (MD5, GPG sigs or the like)? Otherwise, we're kinda back to square 1 there ...

It's not really a true auto-update; it just asks you to download the new installer .exe from (puke) SourceForge. The installer .exe and program .exe are both signed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Just blew away my LastPass account and told them the reason was "concerned about security." I never trusted it before, preferring to use KeePass, but I had non-critical passwords stored in there for junk sites. My issue is that I can't really trust their browser extension given how poorly it parses URLs. That's like a Jr. Programmer/Stack Overflow copy-paste level of incompetence.

I would just rather not have that code sniffing all my password forms regardless of what is stored in the vault.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Since you reference it, why don't you use a similar mechanism to Hashpass (https://github.com/boyers/hashpass), but better, to form the password per site?

You are deriving password values from some master key + the site's URL; this is the perfect use for a HMAC-SHA function. I can trust that the resultant password from HMAC-SHA can't be used in reverse to find my secret master key. Your hard-to-follow, hand-spun hashing/derivation function doesn't give me the same assurance.

That is, if I obtained N different passwords (and the site URL's) generated from your bookmarklet, could I reverse them and get the list of primes (why bother with primes here anyway?). I'll bet for a large enough value of N, I could.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Xarn posted:

All employee at my work are probably going to get Yubikeys. Are they actually good?

Which Yubikey model, and what are you using them for? For basic U2F, they're nice little devices, but the Yubikey 4 recently moved most of their advanced crypto features to a closed source blob (was previously open source.) https://plus.google.com/+KonstantinRyabitsev/posts/4a7RNxtt7vy

Whether or not that matters to you would depend on your uses for the device and your trust of closed source crypto.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

EssOEss posted:

LessPass is reinventing password managers! Leaking the password via displaying magic images is a cool innovation.

Another worthless hash-based p/w generator that forces you to remember hundreds of site-specific p/w rules and other configuration options to "save" you the effort of syncing a database file.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

How's this guide for password generation and storing?
https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm

My user table:

So I'm going for a slow hash, with a salt, and X number of iterations. Preferably using something like this: http://shawnmclean.com/simplecrypto-net-a-pbkdf2-hashing-wrapper-for-net-framework/

Is there a newer recommended C# library, or will PBKDF2 still hold up?

Don't roll your own. Microsoft Identity has a hasher built in: Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.Core/PasswordHasher.cs. It uses PBKDF2 (1000 iterations) to generate a 128 bit salt and 256 bit key. It automatically adds a version number, appends those items together, and returns a nice Base64 string that you can store in the DB. It also has a VerifyHashedPassword method that does a constant-time comparison and (smartly) returns an enumeration of whether it passed or not.

The 1000 iterations is a bit low, but it shouldn't matter much for stronger passwords. The versioning they built in allows for MS to add additional algorithms and easily upgrade, though they haven't done it yet.

edit: They actually have updated it. Version 3 will use: PBKDF2 with HMAC-SHA256, 128-bit salt, 256-bit subkey, 10000 iterations.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 9, 2017

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

I do not recommend PBKDF2 for password hashing. The purpose of that hash is to key stretch a passphrase for the purposes of using it alongside another cryptographic algorithm.

Instead I'd look into using either Bcrypt or Blake2 which are intended for password storage. The two links are for C# implementations.

It's not the most ideal, but it is Microsoft's implementation that uses Windows' FIPS-compliant CSPs. It's also heavily tested by the millions of applications that use ASP.Net Identity.

I'm sure the libraries you linked are perfectly fine, but certain organizations might not want to use an external library over what Microsoft provides.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Also, restrict r/w on the keyfile to only Administrator and run KeePass elevated by setting the exe to run as administrator. Obviously, disable KeePass plugins and ensure UAC setting is maxed out.

This prevents the keyfile from being grabbed by malware, and prevents the small possibility of process injection.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Furism posted:

Is there anyway to get a 2FA/FIDO plugin for Keypass? I couldn't find anything on their plugins page. I think I'm going to stick to Keepass (w/ SyncThing) but I'd like to have 2FA just in case.

KeePass for Windows supports the YubiKey in, I think, HOTP mode. It reencrypts the DB using the next code that you then enter the next time you open it.

edit: http://keepass.info/plugins.html#otpkeyprov

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

“Nice, succulent, slow-cooked cloud computing.”

LOL, I'm glad I decided not to pick one of these up. A sous vide cooker should be at about the same technological complexity as a Crock Pot. Set the desired temp, and walk away for a few hours. It doesn't even need to have auto-off or auto-on, since the cooking time doesn't matter that much. In fact, you're better off leaving whatever 'cooking' at 140F than to have the device shut off and let bacteria start to grow in your cooling meal.

Old-school Option: Google search "sous vide temperature steak", input temp, and set any handy timer for 2-3 hours.

IOT Option: Find phone, turn on bluetooth, pair to Anova, download app/update app, sign in/create account, click through ads, use lovely app to find the food I'm cooking, and worry that my device will be bricked when Anova goes out of business.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Gotta love that Google allows email root access with a simple OAuth flow.

OAuth is a user experience garbage fire. Let's use a innocent looking auth popup, that users see daily on their phones when they install flappy birds, that you must read in its entirety and know what the fine-grained permissions mean to understand what's reasonable access and what's pwned access.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

anyone who has full access to your computer, whether remote or local, can potentially yoink all your passwords.

To be fair, it's a little better than just a text file. The master p/w in the batch file is encrypted using Window's DPAPI, which is locked to a user account. The DPAPI key, though stored on disk, is encrypted with the login credentials, so an active user session would be necessary.

Basically to steal the passwords in the vault, you'd have to be able to run a process (decrypt the enc password in the batch file using DPAPI) under the logged in user's account. Access to the file system isn't going to cut it.

It's still not a particularly great idea, though.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

Just want to clarify something here, the key derivation mechanism you're describing is PBKDF2 however DPAPI can be utilised with a normal plain-text key so it's worth verifying the implementation.

I'm not following you.

I think the blog post mentioned that by using KeePass itself to insert (autotype) the 'password' in the batch file, it spits out a long, nonsense value, which is the password value encrypted (protected) with DPAPI. Last time I looked at the KP source, it used the standard, user-level DPAPI Protect/Unprotect functions for all its interactions with DPAPI. PBKDF2 is an implementation detail of DPAPI internals, but that's not relevant to what is being done here.

In reality, what this person is doing is effectively the same as just using the option in KeePass to encrypt the DB to a Windows user account. I guess the difference is that one could still use the master password to unlock the database, say on another machine.

https://keepass.info/help/base/placeholders.html#passwordenc

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is it worth going through the hassle of setting up Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation on KeePass and using it where you can or is it way too much for a regular person like me on my home desktop (i.e. no work or sensitive data) and copying/pasting through KeyPass is enough?

That feature is mostly BS -- since keyloggers are typically way more sophisticated than just key/clipboard spies -- but it doesn't really hurt to turn it on for entries where you use auto-type already.

Auto-type is pretty handy, but be real careful with it. If your focus is on the wrong form element or something, it could result in your password being auto-typed into the wrong textbox. It's best for forms/dialogs that will never change their layout (i.e. nothing on the lovely web that has bored/stupid product-manager-directed redesigns of login forms)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

You know this question was answered by nerds when the first thing that comes to mind is a game ROM file instead of the hash of some famous text, like from a book.

Your program could strip all whitespace/linebreaks/punctuation and hash the lowercase ASCII encoding of a few hundred letters (set number, no matter how much text was entered.) You'd just have to remember: use part 3, chapter 4 of Crime and Punishment (or bible verses if you're so inclined.)

This would allow you to decrypt offline by manually typing in the characters from a paper copy. If you were monitored, this would be less obvious than your sudden interest in finding Bubble_Bobble.nes in the year 2043.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

My password is "I murdered a homeless person 5 years ago", but I can invoke my 5th Amendment rights not to self-incriminate by telling anyone that*

*except they already ruled that you can just enter it - they don't care what it is.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Klyith posted:

if you are a criminal in the US, or a dissident in a nasty dictatorship, your best bet is security through obscurity. the only way They can't force you to decrypt your poo poo is if they can't even find the storage media in the first place. a 128gb microsd card is the size of your fingernail, buy one of those and hide it somewhere clever. i suggest up your rear end.

https://www.cultofmac.com/387108/electronics-sniffing-dogs-can-root-out-usb-drives/

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jabor posted:

The answer to my security question is "it's just a whole bunch of numbers and letters"

That was literally what I said over the phone to a financial organization CSR, which was sufficient to pass the authentication. Proving 2 things: they store them plain-text, and static KBA is more security theater than the TSA's nut grabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

My late 90's Comp Sci dorm story:

Back in those days, we all had our own public IP addresses issued from the school's class B (/16). Right before leaving for Thanksgiving break, I was installing the FTP server on, I think it was NT4 or perhaps an early copy of Win2K, and I forgot to lock down anon access (which was on by default.)

When I came back from break, I found that my network access to the Internet (the local network was open) was blocked. I also found a ton of folders in the FTP root directory with names that Explorer wasn't able to list/delete. I had to write a program in C++ to recurse through the drive and delete all the folders/files. I didn't look at the files, but I hate to even think what kind of poo poo I was hosting for the world.

The school let me know that my bandwidth usage of 100s of gigabytes (big whoop today) was completely unacceptable, and that I would have to take a "responsible network course/quiz" before I could have my access back. Not that we have the IPv4 space to support it, but it would be a fun day if everyone connected to the web without NAT again.