Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

KernelSlanders posted:

Thanks. I was trying to place it early to try to prevent attacking army from ramping, but I see what you mean about not having contact with the first wave. I didn't realize the first wave was repeated. I had been trying to get a ranged-heavy wave to the last corner around the time I (while attacking) get to the first corner. That way you have a bunch of wizards and arblasters basically follow you along the path to the right.

Yeah I don't know for sure if my comments are right, it's hard to test your base because of the level difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
For what it's worth, I can't beat your base.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Some tips for my fellow newbies:

Tech level: Always be rushing

The number one mistake that a new player can do in this game is to treat it like CoC and try to max out defenses and stuff before proceeding to the next tech level. Don't do that. This way lies nothing but pain and misery. The enemies will walk all over your fancy level 6 Archer Towers that you've spent weeks upgrading and you won't be able to hit them back.

The way matchmaking works, you don't get much of a loot penalty for attacking less advanced players, so there's no reason not to rush to higher tech levels, prioritizing offense over defense as you go. There will be time to upgrade all those towers and obstacles later on, when you can easily swipe a million gold in one poop break. For now, focus on Throne Room, wizard tower, troop academy, silo and farms. A good rule of thumb for the latter is to always try to keep each farm's storage capacity higher than the amount of food you need for one attack (which increases as your hero levels up).

The only defensive building that you should keep upgraded as you go is Castle Guard. Its effectiveness increases as you improve your units and it's a prerequisite for two Throne Room upgrades (at levels 2 and 7), plus it's a great outlet for dumping excess gold when your workers are occupied elsewhere.

Upgrades: Buildings and Paladins

When you have a choice between upgrading your Wizard Tower vs. one of the spells (or upgrading the troop academy vs. one of the units), always upgrade the building first. Not only will it give you more outlets for dumping gold while your workers are busy, it will unlock new units and spells that, more often than not, will be crazy powerful from get go. Acquiring level 1 Firestorm or Arbalester will do much more for your killing power than getting another level of Hammerstrike or Archer.

That said, if you're in ugievarcherstoo (and if you're playing this revolting game, you should be), always upgrade your paladins when you have a chance. Our leadership has a massive boner for these plated guys and regularly activates an alliance-wide buff that turns them into unkillable juggernauts.

Gems: Win Leagues, Buy 3rd Slots

Spending them: As with many F2P cash grabs, most of IAP sinks are actually garbage. There are two major exceptions: a third spell slot and a third troop slot.

The extra spell slot is a straight-up Pay2Win power boost, since the third spell does not share a cooldown with your regular ones. It is a big gamechanger that will allow you to punch above your weight and smash bases that you would otherwise struggle with. The extra troop slot is a big flexibility upgrade. While you don't get any additional morale to spend on those units, you can use them to exploit specific vulnerabilities in enemy compositions (arbalesters vs. pyromancers, pyromancers vs. cannons, that sort of thing).

Extra workers are much less valuable than they are in CoC, since you effectively get an equivalent of four research labs (wizard tower, army training center, inventor's workshop and castle guard) to dump gold into when all workers are busy. Refilling silos, as noted below, can be a worthwhile investment if you're pushing medals to win a league, but make sure others aren't trying to do the same. Upgrading your alliance tower is a good idea, but it gets crazy expensive very quickly.

Everything else - accelerating construction and research, buying items from the market, rerolling Chamber of Fortune loot - is almost never worth doing.

Getting them: If you're going to spend money on gems, wait for a good 'special offer pack' to pop up. These contain a bundle of stuff at a 80% or better discount, but the catch is that the total discounted cost is always higher than whatever the amount of gems you currently have (to incentivize you to spend money). So if you buy a big bundle of gems in advance, you won't get any special offers until you spend most of them. If you're going this route, I recommend waiting for a pack that has a third spell or troop slot and then buying enough gems to afford it.

If you're going the F2P route, your best source of gems will be winning leagues. Those are unlocked when you reach Throne Room level 3 and are basically 'how actively have you been raiding today?' competitions. Every time you raid someone or do a dungeon fight, you get a number of medals depending on the strength of your target. You can't lose medals, only gain them. At the end of the league season (which takes 1 day for Bronze, Silver and Gold, 2 days for Platinium and 3 days for Diamond), you get a gem payout based on how well you did compared to other dumb idiots sharing the league with you. The ones who performed best of all get promoted to the next league, while the ones who did worst are demoted to a lower one. You can't get demoted out of Bronze or rise higher than Diamond.

Snagging the first place in Bronze and Silver can be simply done by actively playing throughout the day. For Gold and Platinum, you might need to refill your silos with gems or vouchers, so make sure that the first place payout is higher than your investment. Don't even try to win Diamond as a new player - that's where the big bored whales hunt and they have bonuses to medal gains that you or I don't have yet.

Vouchers and Codes

When you enter someone's code or when someone else enters your code, you become 'voucher friends' with them. Whenever one of you progresses in the game (gains a level, upgrades Throne Room, stuff like that), the other gets some vouchers. Early levels are worth more than later ones and comes more quickly. Therefore, the best way is for two newbies to join the game at the same time and share codes with each other.

The best way I've found to spend vouchers is refilling silos when doing a medal push in Gold or Platinum leagues. It's much more efficient than buying gems with them - provided that you win, of course.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 27, 2015

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Great info from Ephemeron. I would like to add that in wars, there's no limit to how many people can attack the lowest opponents, so if you're new and underpowered you can still have tremendous impact in wars by attacking the bottom of the opposing roster. Moreover there's tons of partial credit, so even just getting 20% of the way through the base before you die in a fire is earning points that could make the difference in how a war goes. Like most mmos participation trumps everything.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Someone add me or i may not play boo SHIOVHRN

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Hit me up, I'm giving this a shot. IPBAPYNU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Hit me up, I'm giving this a shot. IPBAPYNU

Thanks for the add. Copy paste isn't working for me, weird.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Giving this a go. Anybody got a voucher code I can use?
[edit] applied to the alliance too!

Roid666 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 3, 2016

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
We rocked another war. Go team!

Here's a tip for today: I believe that Blunt and Frost damage are the best type for Gauntlets, and weapons as a secondary damage type. Blunt allows you to do more damage to buildings, and frost, even if it's only 1 frost damage, will slow anything you attack, which includes buildings, and can significantly lower the damage of units like monsters since they often swing very slowly.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The between war special this time is a bonus to buildings and workers, making it cheaper to upgrade taverns/farms/spell building etc.. and get workers cheaper. Also caps building time to 2 days. Really good time to upgrade taverns and farms.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
rr2 dot jpg

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

What is the best offensive strategy for breaking through a multiple snake/firebolt killzone?

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
I mostly rely on firestorm to take down the firebolt towers, but yeah it's hard when they're paired up with the snake towers.

Also this is a fun time waster game and we could definitely use a few more members, so jump in and give it a shot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

What is the best offensive strategy for breaking through a multiple snake/firebolt killzone?

It depends on where your spells are vs the hp of towers. Is hammer strike still enough to do most of hte damage to a snake tower? Maybe try that. Otherwise use one of hte AOE spells. You can also try using cannons and protecting them, but this gets to be a problem with switchbacks, cannons will only shoot towers, and will ignore pretty much everything else.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So I kicked everyone who'd gone inactive, but if you just took a break you can obviously rejoin, I was just trying to make our war seeding a bit easier.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So the new war is sniper cannons, which are pretty dangerous, especially on defense. Cannons have a weird targeting mechanism, they shoot all mechanical enemy units first. And as far as I can tell units can "see" the whole map. Which means in general, on offense, cannons are only so so. Good at taking down cannons, but they will not shoot anything else ever. On defense there are only attacking cannnons and mortars, which means cannons will often shoot the enemy hero or troops, and they are relatively high damage.

TL,DR: use at least 1 cannon per wave on defense as long as the boost is up

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Yeah the sniper cannons really wreak havoc on normal base defences. There isn't a lot you can do defensively as far as I can see, but going and putting a cannon into every wave is a good idea. I did that just before our war started.

At least one of the other teams in this war will be pretty difficult I think, they've got both numbers and rank on us.

We'd love to get a few more people in if anyone is thinking about picking it up. It's a lot of fun for a timewaster game, and the goon alliance has gotten rather small.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Sorry I haven't been contributing to alliance chat, it's broken and I can't type anything for some reason.

This war season looks pretty promising at least.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Majestic posted:

Sorry I haven't been contributing to alliance chat, it's broken and I can't type anything for some reason.

This war season looks pretty promising at least.

We totally pulled it out and won a smashing defense the last day, so we won this war season.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Does anyone understand how the game assigns the number of medals an attack can get you? It makes no sense at all to me.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

Does anyone understand how the game assigns the number of medals an attack can get you? It makes no sense at all to me.

No. I've heard whatever algorithm used is completely borked.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
It is something to do with the strength of the defences (though not path length) from what I've read, but it seems pretty random on top of that.

Our low player numbers are going to make wars increasingly difficult I think. If anyone has any friends they can get on board, it might help. No new goons seem to be joining us at this point.

It would also be good if we could establish some kind of agreed strategy on which boosts to use and when. I'd prefer if we didn't use any boosts at all outside of war seasons, and then only used agreed upon ones during the season. Boosting arrow towers if none of us are using arrow towers is just a waste of gold. If we can agree to keep holy paladins up during war seasons, people can build their defense waves around that (they're barely worth using otherwise).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Majestic posted:

It is something to do with the strength of the defences (though not path length) from what I've read, but it seems pretty random on top of that.

Our low player numbers are going to make wars increasingly difficult I think. If anyone has any friends they can get on board, it might help. No new goons seem to be joining us at this point.

It would also be good if we could establish some kind of agreed strategy on which boosts to use and when. I'd prefer if we didn't use any boosts at all outside of war seasons, and then only used agreed upon ones during the season. Boosting arrow towers if none of us are using arrow towers is just a waste of gold. If we can agree to keep holy paladins up during war seasons, people can build their defense waves around that (they're barely worth using otherwise).

Yeah I agree. Basically we boost paladins throughout wars. Flagon gets on drunk I think, and then boosts everything. It kind of cracks me up, so... I don't demote her. The way the wars work.. we currently have 13 "fiefdoms" essentially the little hexes we fight over in wars. We should be matched against other alliances with 13 hexes. With a heavy ceteris paribus, I basically expect us to win then lose then win then lose, unless we recruit more.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Huge update just came out, new units, monks, also boosting, specializing units.. etc.. ability to post game play videos. So we'll probably start doing that.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

I haven't quit the game. I activated a new phone and haven't figured out how to port my character over yet.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So the new update means constant chests, and "boostable" farms, making getting gold less of an issue.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

so we desperately need people, if anyone is interested, +1 means we could be in wars again.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Sorry, my phone is being repaired at the moment, and unlike Clash of Clans/Future Fight, RR2 didn't get linked to Game Center, so I can't play it on another device, either.

I really hope that they'll be able to recover the data, because the prospect of regrinding all that stuff all over again is less than thrilling.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Update: memory's dead, account's gone. :(

Feel free to kick Passionario from the alliance, I guess.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Well, that's one of our top three gone then. The downward spiral continues :|

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

Update: memory's dead, account's gone. :(

Feel free to kick Passionario from the alliance, I guess.

Have you tried sending in a ticket or emailing them? They might have some procedure for trying to recover it. :/

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Joined as wallabees, anyone got a valid friend code?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

cupachabra posted:

Joined as wallabees, anyone got a valid friend code?

Ask the lowest level person you can, so you get the most vouchers. I dont want to give you mine, you'll barely get anything.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
I'm probably being very dumb here but I have watched how to videos and everything but the option to enter a friend code is not there? halp

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
I think you figured it out, right? i'm really enjoying the pearl upgrade system, i just wish it didn't get impossible and expensive so quick. Von can you tell me what I could do to improve my run, or is that L path the new meta?

also if anyone wants to join we could use some more people for war, you can use my friend code PSELTLTAQ to get some bonus loot.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

pope archibald posted:

I think you figured it out, right?

Nah I just friended you to see if that would work, the 'enter friend code' box just isn't there on my voucher tab, I've given up bothering though - this game's quite fun.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pope archibald posted:

I think you figured it out, right? i'm really enjoying the pearl upgrade system, i just wish it didn't get impossible and expensive so quick. Von can you tell me what I could do to improve my run, or is that L path the new meta?

also if anyone wants to join we could use some more people for war, you can use my friend code PSELTLTAQ to get some bonus loot.

I think the L path is it for now. With the higher castle gate levels you get a couple more towers and barriers, and enough path to go all the way up to the gate, and the gate hits really hard. It creates another stall point where ranged units will get caught.

honestly really high level poison towers are really nuts, you crash into them with a fully upgraded sonic blast and they eat it then kill you. I'm going for a max hp max poison tower early on. If ou can destroy the enemy kings buffer its really hard for him to move forward until he sits regens. Stalling momentum is key imo.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Yeah I've got too many mid-level towers and not enough with focused upgrades I think. Going to focus on getting my snake towers up higher for a while.

I've got up to +7% range on my arbalesters but I'm not noticing that much difference yet I must say.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Majestic posted:

Yeah I've got too many mid-level towers and not enough with focused upgrades I think. Going to focus on getting my snake towers up higher for a while.

I've got up to +7% range on my arbalesters but I'm not noticing that much difference yet I must say.

I wish I understand the math on range better. What is one unit, how big is a path, and how far set off the path is a firebolt tower?

I think we should talk about what to perma boost. We've been doing paladins, but I'm very open to other ideas of what would work good for people of all trophy levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
were you saying that boosted knights are really good for raiding? I'm down to try that but I know the boosted paladins are awesome for defense.

• Locked thread