Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

WELCOME TO THE COMBINED THREAD FOR CHIVALRY OF A FAILED KNIGHT AND THE ASTERISK WAR

This is the thread to discuss both of these shows, post gifs from them, and (if you like) talk vaguely about one without revealing which. Honestly while both show's characters and settings are hilariously similar, the actual plots have diverged since the first handful of episodes.

What's this all about then?

There's this guy.

He meets a girl.

They have a duel.

This is because they go to a Weird School with Fighting and Magic.

She turns out to be a tsundere top-student and skilled with fire magic. Luckily once the duel is resolved they start teaming up and becoming partners in their school's Important Tournament.

There are some other harem members characters.

quote:

The "school sword action" story revolves around Magic Knights, modern magic-users who fight with weapons converted from their souls. Ikki Kurogane goes to a school for these Magic Knights, but he is the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One" who is failing because he has no magical skills. However, one day, he is challenged to a duel by Stella, a foreign princess and the "Number One" student. In this duel, "the loser must be obedient for life."

quote:

The Academy City on the water, Rikka (otherwise known as Asterisk) is the world's largest stage for the integrated battle entertainment, "Star Wars Festival." The young boys and girls of the "Starpulse Generation" belonging to the six academies made their wishes with Shining Armaments in their hands, vying for supremacy—Amagiri Ayato is one of them.

Ayato arrived at Rikka at the invitation of the Student Council President of the Seidoukan Academy, Claudia, and right after that he incurred the wrath of the "Petalblaze Witch" Julis, and ended up having to duel her.

The greatest academy battle entertainment, begins here!

The Asterisk War:

Chivalry of a Failed Kight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Have fun and

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chivalry of a Failed Knight has a very cool looking OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQT87UgNbvc

While the Asterisk War has the superior ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXobkL5pHjE

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stella is the best antithesis to the tsundere I have seen in anything so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am watching one if these shows, but I'm not sure which....

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I literally keep forgetting which one has the badges they need to destroy for an official duel victory.

That said, for all my teasing I'm actually enjoying both these silly shows and I'm extra happy that despite all the harem shenanigans still going on Stella and Main Dude smooched.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

a kitten posted:

I literally keep forgetting which one has the badges they need to destroy for an official duel victory.

I think it was the one with Nao Touyama.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

I think it was the one with Nao Touyama.

omg

It never ends.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So which one is the good one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pavlov posted:

So which one is the good one.

Yes

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I guess I'll have to watch both and report back all my opinions on them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Chivalry's main character looks cooler, but I like the designs for everything else more in Asterisk. Of the two though, I'm only watching Asterisk.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like Chivalry just a touch more, but i really wish they weren't so generous with the random colored lighting all over the screen. In that respect Asterisk looks leagues better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chivalry would be at least five times better if the sister didn't exist/was less terrible

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Definitely.

Also, up til this week Chivalry was by far the more fanservicey one, but this week on Asterisk they pulled out all the stops on it, going so far as to end the episode on a butt shot.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm watching Chivalry because the main guy isn't a nothing character that goes by on dumb luck, and hooks up with the main girl by episode 4 instead of episode 41. Otherwise it's okay.

Sakurazuka posted:

Chivalry would be at least five times better if the sister didn't exist/was less terrible

This tho.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

First opinion: I would really like to hear a japanese person try to pronounce 'asterisk'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The latest arc of this series involves a female heir to a prestigious school of fencing who is semi-forced to fight due to family circumstances.

I know they've diverged, but it's pretty funny that they met right back up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Clarste posted:

The latest arc of this series involves a female heir to a prestigious school of fencing who is semi-forced to fight due to family circumstances.

I know they've diverged, but it's pretty funny that they met right back up.

And who the main dude promptly goes about adding to his harem training!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It had less vowels in it then I hoped. Disappointment.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Pop quiz: A girl drops a handkerchief out of a 3rd story window, do you:

A: Shout up, "Hey, you dropped your handkerchief!"

B: Climb the side of the building and enter the window.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Why not both?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Obviously you failed anime class.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Simple communication to prevent misunderstandings is useless and a waste of time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Question 2

You come across your brother whom you haven't seen for some years. Do you:

A: Ask him how he's been during that time.

B: Comment on how he's changed since then.

C: Passionately deep tongue kiss him.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's not Cross Ange tomato_sauce.gif but eh.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Pop quiz: A girl drops a handkerchief out of a 3rd story window, do you:

A: Shout up, "Hey, you dropped your handkerchief!"

B: Climb the side of the building and enter the window.

b is way more romantic dude

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am not watching either of these shows, but this is a good gif.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I like the one where the evil classmate in episode 4 was The Fear from MGS3 more than the one where the evil classmate in episode 4 just had some dumb robots.

But seriously though I think the action scenes in Chivalry have been a lot better, partly because what we've seen of Chivalry-guy's power has been more interesting than what we've seen of Asterisk-guy's.

Also echoing what people have said about the sister in Chivalry. I though it was just meant to be for comedy at first but the last couple of episodes they seem to have been taking it seriously and that doesn't bode well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Chivalry has the better redhead primary heroine with flame powers, and better relationship between said redhead and the MC, but other than that I prefer Asterisk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, while it's interesting to see one of these LN couples actually becoming a couple, I think Asterisk's tsundere redhead is more tolerable because she doesn't freak out over everything for no reason. It feels more like a relationship of respect, as opposed to "wow, he's so cool and handsome and sexy and I'm so glad he's my boyfriend!" Perhaps it helps that the Asterisk dude is actually significantly less cool?

Actually, given how much of Chivalry seems to be told from the redhead's perspective (seriously, we're inside her head like 70% of the time), it has this strange, almost shoujo feeling where it's about the girl who landed the biggest hunk in school but oh no he has a tragic past that she needs to help him work through. It feels more like he's the prize to be won, if that makes any sense.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Clarste posted:

"wow, he's so cool and handsome and sexy and I'm so glad he's my boyfriend!"

That's how high-schoolers do relationships.

It's not because they promised to get married when they were 5, or the dude jumps in front of a bus to save her, or rescues a cat from a tree.

Pink hair was crushing because she got a taste of his HAWT BAWD and needed more.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Got curious about the thread title. So, 2 harem LN adaptations with almost identical casts.

Are the shows at the very least entertaining? I've learned to not expect much of this type of shows, but drat, the shows being at least entertaining in that “turn your brain off” way would be a plus.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm honestly really enjoying both of them, even if neither is groundbreaking in any way and have their share of Dumb poo poo.

I say give both first episodes a shot.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
My vote goes to Asterisk, for the post-credit amies.

Fake Edit: I meant Chivalry. gently caress...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Space Flower posted:

My vote goes to Asterisk, for the post-credit amies.

Fake Edit: I meant Chivalry. gently caress...

Not sure what you mean by "amies", but if you mean the thing with the blonde girl doing VN animations, you were right the first time and that was Asterisk.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Pink hair was crushing because she got a taste of his HAWT BAWD and needed more.

As fine a motivation as any.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kytrarewn posted:

Not sure what you mean by "amies", but if you mean the thing with the blonde girl doing VN animations, you were right the first time and that was Asterisk.

Are you loving kidding!! This thread makes everything ten times more confusing.

Is there an appropriate term yet? I just keep using the one from the Pokemon minigame.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Bonus round!

You are a figurehead princess of a European kingdom, trying to raise money for an orphanage. Do you:

A: Draw from the royal stipend for expenses.

B: Use your status and connections to start a charity.

C: Move to Japan and become a prize fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
You know the answer to every single one of these questions is D. all of the above right?

• Locked thread