Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

All I can really say about Asterisk so far is that it's just sort of dumb, and not even in the hilariously teenage fantasy way Failed Knight is.

"I HAVE FOUND MY PURPOSE IN LIFE"

"IT IS TO PROTECT THIS GIRL I MET LIKE, TWO DAYS AGO. MAYBE THREE."

Unless you're royalty I don't think you can use the word "we" when you mean "I".

EDIT: I will say that Asterisk's character design feels like a funhouse mirror version of Infinite Stratos, which makes it kind of funny to watch.

The Dulcinea Effect is one of the most standard harem tropes. Asterisk guy does have it to a fairly comical level though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
"Was this student at superpowered swordsmaster academy just slapped by A MAN? Surely she needs my help to defend herself."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I still have to wonder, even in a harem anime, what the gently caress is up with declaring your life's purpose to be protecting some girl you just met, but after said declaration still being too embarrassed to share a bottle of gatorade or admitting to them you want to get some trim. Isn't there a point at which you stop being embarrassed by everything or do the Japanese just live in a perpetual state of being embarrassed at all times.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He's just subconsciously replaced all his emotions with Honor because he's a Noble Samurai or somesuch.

Actually, I think being "above such base feelings" is a common fantasy among the target audience, to make them feel better about themselves. Girls lusting after their self-inserts is cool and all, but reciprocating implies vulnerability, sort of.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
The japanese are slowly dieing out from lack of making babies.

Alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZcEwHBAk8

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the desire to gently caress is shameful and only rapey hooligans straight out of a bad shoujo manga ever admit to it. at most, a male character may express an interest in being a voyeur.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I wish I had read this thread before watching the failed knight one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just watched all 6 episodes of Asterisk and all I got out of it was it's like Mahouka with the really bad stuff filed off.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

I just watched all 6 episodes of Asterisk and all I got out of it was it's like Mahouka with the really bad stuff filed off.

So basically the only thing in common is the magic / sword high school thing, then. You see, the joke here is that Mahouka is straight up really really bad no matter which way you slice it. :iamafag:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Future magic fight school is getting really popular these days I wonder if all this poo poo is designed by committee.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know, i think we should kill all of the chinese people. let me just destroy a city to get us started.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So if I'm more interested in fun character moments (warm and fuzzy ones in particular are ideal, but not required) than a brilliant plot or crazy fight sequences, which (if either) of these shows should I watch?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So if I'm more interested in fun character moments (warm and fuzzy ones in particular are ideal, but not required) than a brilliant plot or crazy fight sequences, which (if either) of these shows should I watch?

Taimadou Gakuen

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

Taimadou Gakuen

A quick google tells me that show's an ecchi, which isn't really what I'm looking for - unless my search results are overstating things.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Spiritus Nox posted:

A quick google tells me that show's an ecchi, which isn't really what I'm looking for - unless my search results are overstating things.

They all are, at least to some degree or another. Rakudai Kishi moreso than Asterisk.

The fact remains that, as far as meaningful character is concerned, Taimadou Gakuen beats either. Beyond that, Rakudai Kishinev is better than Asterisk, since the secondary girl in Asterisk has been seen for a total of about 90 seconds in the last 5 weeks, and there are no, for all intents and purposes no other male characters.

I wouldn't suggest either, and my recommendation for Taimadou Gakuen is hesitant. None of them is another "kore wa zombie"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Spiritus Nox posted:

Failed Knight has two doofuses attempt to have a relationship, I guess.

Asterisk... uh... curry is spicy?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mm. Sounds like none of the lot are really my thing, at least not now. Shame.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Beyond that, Rakudai Kishinev is better than Asterisk, since the secondary girl in Asterisk has been seen for a total of about 90 seconds in the last 5 weeks, and there are no, for all intents and purposes no other male characters.

I think that's preferable to her counterpart though: the sister in Rakudai. Also, Rakudai doesn't have any male characters who aren't villains of the week either.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mm. Sounds like none of the lot are really my thing, at least not now. Shame.

This is the correct answer. Everyone in this thread is watching these two shows completely ironically with no honest enjoyment, upon pain of public shaming.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I do the shaming.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

I think that's preferable to her counterpart though: the sister in Rakudai. Also, Rakudai doesn't have any male characters who aren't villains of the week either.

This is the correct answer. Everyone in this thread is watching these two shows completely ironically with no honest enjoyment, upon pain of public shaming.

im watching it unironically

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think they are both fun even if flawed, if someone doesn't think they sound interesting to him then well, they don't.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is Failed Knight better than Asterisk in any way aside from "the main characters actually get into a relationship right off the bat" which is probably the most unique thing I've heard of in these kinds of shows in a while?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the girl is cuter

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
sign me up then

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Failed Knight has better action. It actually makes Asterisk hilarious because the characters are apparently doing really impressive things but it just looks like they're kind of flailing around while big Attack Name Windows pop up.

Also there's apparently way more fanart of Stella than Julis so I guess the audience has spoken on the waifu front.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Failed Knight has an extra character with no counterpart (Alice) who is not a terrible person.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The grand plot in Failed Knight is somewhat more interesting, in that eventually the lovebirds are going to have to fight one another at the tournament, rather than it being a team battle event where they team up in the name of justice and glory, in order to find their lost siblings and rescue orphans and stop illegal whaling and..........

Also the opposing powers in Failed Knight are more interesting. They seem to be people intent on keeping the world order as a meritocracy fully dependent on magical power, with Ikki being the butt of the joke. In Asterisk, it's just kids from different schools who want their own team to win the tournament.

The battle "system" in Failed Knight is also seemingly more interesting, though that could easily change. At the moment, though, we've seen more variations on the type of magical power in Failed Knight, but more variations on the technology in Asterisk. Of course, the technology in Asterisk is incredibly weird involving Evangelical "synch ratios" and certain students just arbitrarily being assigned super-powerful unbreakable swords and armor, and... etc.

Failed Knight doesn't have the VN girl after the credits saying dumb lines like "Ooh, I thought he liked big tits", and has an ED composed/performed by the same people who did Code Geass's EDs.

And, even if nothing else, it's superior because it doesn't already have a season 2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wait, or is Alice's counterpart the student council president? Either way, it's an advantage.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

On the one hand anime 1 has creepy incest-sister who the protagonist refuses to address.

On the other hand anime 2 has meek, doe-eye'd moe-blob who is also ~*Number One Swordsmaster*~ in high-school while being ~*Only Thirteen*~ and defeats lightsabers using ~*Traditional Nippon Steel*~

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm getting confused, so I decided to make a chart of the subtle differences between these two series. Well, not a chart exactly, but I'll be contrasting characters with their counterparts, in an effort to help me remember that they exist.

MC From Respected Warrior Family With Tragic Past and Secret Super Mode With Short Duration

Chivalry: New school always-cool protagonist who is perfect at everything and the most popular guy at school (after the beginning). Super mode lasts one minute but also has ridiculous super-ability to predict people's moves. Best for fulfilling power fantasies.

Asterisk: Old school kind of wimpy seeming protagonist who nonetheless displays inner (and outer) strength when it counts. Super mode lasts three minutes but has nothing else to back it up. Best for self-insert everyman.

Redhead Tsundere Princess Fire Sword Love Interest

Chivalry: Comes to terms with her own affection surprisingly fast but still can't spit it out. Even after they become a couple she has to keep it secret in order to keep the status quo. Secretly the main character because the story is fundamentally about being in love with the MC.

Asterisk: Kind of subdued, relatively. Less tsundere than you'd expect, but frankly that's kind of boring too.

Short Girl From Past Who Loves MC For No Reason But Also Has No Chance

Chivalry: It's his sister and she french kisses him immediately. No redeeming value.

Asterisk: "Just" a childhood friend. Never shows up when plot is happening and is totally irrelevant.

Mysterious Scheming Girl Who Knows More Than She Should and Is Probably On MC's Side But You Never Know

Chivalry: Transsexual who is actually treated like a girl instead of joke (I found that surprising anyway), magically knows everything going on in people's heads to give advice but is probably secretly evil.

Asterisk: Student Council President who tries to seduce MC for reasons and is generally helpful but also probably secretly evil. Has really stupid post-credits thing.

Fourth Episode Villain who Provides Sufficient Threat to Force MC to Use Full Power, but Not Actually Important and Presumably Leaves the Story Forever

Chivalry: One of those bullies who is mysterious popular despite being an obvious rear end in a top hat. Or maybe that's why he's popular, I forgot how high school works.

Asterisk: Snuck into the story by being a totally generic lackey guy, and therefore lacks anything memorable about him, by poorly thought out design. Which is a way to remember him, maybe?

Second Arc Damsel Who is Swordmaster From Prestigious Fencing Style But Forced to Fight Against Will By Family Circumstances Involving Father and Likes MC Of Course

Chivalry: Frankly I'm just assuming the plot, but it seems like a sound bet. Uh... I guess she's ditzy? Let's just say ditzy senpai archetype.

Asterisk: Kohai archetype because some people get off to being called senpai I guess. Actually better than the MC without cheating, which is something I suppose.

School Newspaper Gossip Person Who Isn't Important But Hangs Around a Lot For Some Reason

Chivalry: It's a girl. Uh... I already described everything about her.

Asterisk: It's a boy. Also fulfills role as generic male friend for MC. I guess he's secretly a ninja or something but honestly does anyone care?

Lester McFail

Asterisk-only: Dumb meathead guy who only exists to make the MC look better by contrast. The twist was that he was just dumb, not evil.

I'm probably forgetting some characters.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 13, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You forgot that the 13 year old moe-blob also has jiggly boobs and the camera loves to gaze

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I'm sure that even after writing all that, you're still not going to keep the two shows straight without constantly referencing you're post.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I just watched chivalry and really, really liked half of it, and didn't like the other half.

The fight scenes are amazing. They don't happen every episode, which is ok when they're this good but also kinda bad since that leaves a lot more room for incest sister or Really Long Bath Scene to happen in those episodes.

I actually like the relationship between MC and lead girl. She spent a whole episode obsessing over how MC hasn't taken her on any dates or held her hand and hasn't shown any kind of affection towards her in 2 weeks, but she's too worried about looking like a pervert to say anything to him. Then at the end we find out that he's been obsessing over literally the exact same thing as her, right down to her not showing any affection towards him and not wanting to look like a pervert for saying anything about it. Their mutual moment of "this is loving ridiculous and stupid let's just tell each other what we want" I genuinely enjoyed and thought was pretty cute.

Haven't seen asterisk yet, gonna soon though. It sounds like the fights aren't as good as chivalry's, but are they still pretty good?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Haven't seen asterisk yet, gonna soon though. It sounds like the fights aren't as good as chivalry's, but are they still pretty good?

No, it's just people declaring special attacks (the words even appear on the screen!) and then doing something indistinguishable from everything else they've already done.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
The failed knight guy's real actual sister wants to gently caress him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
This is to weird for me, I'm sorry.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pavlov posted:

On the one hand anime 1 has creepy incest-sister who the protagonist refuses to address.

On the other hand anime 2 has meek, doe-eye'd moe-blob who is also ~*Number One Swordsmaster*~ in high-school while being ~*Only Thirteen*~ and defeats lightsabers using ~*Traditional Nippon Steel*~

It probably won't be addressed either. Or rather, from what I've heard, the anime production staff seems to have massively boosted the creepy incest-sister stuff on basically all levels - in the initial source she has apparently basically stopped and given up that idea, aside from some slight teasing to get Stella worked up, after the mains start a relationship. And if they're already dumping a bunch of that in because they think it'll sell better or whatever, they're unlikely to stop.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

The failed knight guy's real actual sister wants to gently caress him.

Anime as taught me that japan is asia's deep south.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Anime as taught me that japan is asia's deep south.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

This is to weird for me, I'm sorry.

I do not blame you, I have come close to dropping the show on multiple occasions because of it

• Locked thread