Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I will always love mahouka for the extended speech in one of the first few episodes that rich people are rich because they have more valuable skills.

There's a reason I call it "Oniichan Shrugged".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

The problem that all of these LN shows have is that they ignore the interesting bits in favor of the plot and the "plot". Give me the world-building, give me the magic systems, give me the backstabbing and politics and behind-the-scenes strategic fuckery that allows the plot to unfurl.

Mahouka is a pretty good example of this- obviously, there's some interesting family politicking going on involving the main character, the Japanese government, his manufacturing firm, and his family. Alas, they just forced their way through (judging from book names on the LN site) 7 volumes in 24 episodes, and all-but-ignored the backend stuff until "I'm coming for you some day auntie" in the last 5 minutes of the show.

Noucome, Inou Battle, Infinite Stratos and a whole host of others share the same problem.

Somehow, Index managed to find a good balance in its anime adaptation, but it's rare.

I agree with pretty much everything you've written here. As an addendum, and despite its popularity, a lot of the cast/staff who did Mahouka were not aware that the author was kinda... special about his ideologies. The few things I do know for a fact are that, according to Sugita, he hung out a lot with Yuichi Nakamura while recording sessions were going on despite his part being rather small due to the fact that his bro Nakamura loving hated the novels and that when he originally did the casting, he had no clue it was going to be that loving dumb. Any downtime available was spent between the two and Yumi Uchiyama teasing Kana Hanazawa, because apparently that never gets old.

Also, the Index/Railgun animes were weird in that some story arcs would be abysmally slow while others were relatively tight-paced. Despite its uneven quality and the fact that it's trying to do the whole "Magic High School Adventure City" as close to Index as possible, the Strike the Blood anime had really good pacing and world-building. Hell, one of the main love interests of Strike the Blood is mostly on the world-building, behind-the-scenes side of things.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You should get into LNs. More Battle Academies than you can even imagine.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

You should get into LNs. More Battle Academies than you can even imagine.

Yeah, no. I did the mistake of buying the first two arcs (4 books) of Mahouka from the guy who had originally given me a bunch of cool recommendations for Novels / Light Novels, including the Gundam Unicorn novels and All You Need is Kill (who back then I didn't even know was the source for Edge of Tomorrow). After finishing those two arcs, I decided to quit a bunch of fiction, including Bleach. That's right: It made me give up on a ton of stuff I've had invested myself due to sunk-cost effect (I think that's the right name?).

If there are any Battle Academy LN's that are worth a shot, sure, I'll bite.

e: grammar. :argh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He was joking. The point is that battle academy ln's are mediocre at best and the vast majority never reach that high.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the mini 53rd division of witch-hunting show was also a super fuckin stupid battle academy but they never went to class and had a sickly little sister character

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Best battle academy is Girls Und Panzer

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:agreed: pending further episodes of ANNE HAPPY which is like a battle academy for happiness

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was joking. The point is that battle academy ln's are mediocre at best and the vast majority never reach that high.

I get that Blitz was joking, but I honestly wish that, if there were any Battle Academy LN's (or Light Novels, period) that elevate beyond lazy 'I'm attempting to getting an anime out of this', sure, bring 'em out. Venturing out with LN's has yielded out some gems, though: The Oregairu novels are good-to-sometimes-great (I still like the anime more), so was Kokoro Connect and the Classic Literature Club series (from where Hyouka was adapted).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Check out the wn/ln thread sometime. You will learn that aside from a very few exceptions all wn/ln's are trash.

Some of us are just into reading trash, is all.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Wark Say posted:

I get that Blitz was joking, but I honestly wish that, if there were any Battle Academy LN's (or Light Novels, period) that elevate beyond lazy 'I'm attempting to getting an anime out of this', sure, bring 'em out. Venturing out with LN's has yielded out some gems, though: The Oregairu novels are good-to-sometimes-great (I still like the anime more), so was Kokoro Connect and the Classic Literature Club series (from where Hyouka was adapted).

The Baccano! LNs are good, like honestly good not just good for LNs. The SAO, and overlord LNs are better then the anime adaptations, thought I am not still they could be considered good for any medium that is not aimed at Young Adults.

I have also herd that the Spice and Wolf and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha books are good, but I have not read them my self.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BlitzBlast posted:

Hundred is basically "what if Charlotte was the main girl?"

More specifically, S2 Charlotte.

Would pay money for IS with Charlotte as main girl, not just Best Girl.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You must have not watched season 2.

Good choice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Watching IS at all is the wrong choice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The power armors and idea behind a post end of men society could have been interesting. You know, if it had had any interest in being anything beyond what it was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That is a really weak defense. It isn't as if liking bad anime is some horrible crime.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Infinite Stratos is supposed to be a story about what it actually means to be a man, with the world being set-up so the traditional gender roles are reversed in order to show how what we conceive as normal is really just a matter of cultural inertia more than anything concrete.

Unfortunately the author is in no way capable of actually writing this, so the answer Ichika comes up with (being a man means PROTECTING THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE RAAARRR FEAR MY GENERIC MC SPIRIT) is pretty much lost under gallons and gallons of bad romcom shenanigans.

There are a lot of LNs with really good concepts that are just utterly squandered. This is part of the reason there are so many copycats; a lot of people want to try and do the concept more justice. Familiar of Zero, for instance, is probably behind a whole wave of "protagonist from Earth goes to medieval society and instigates better conditions for everyone" stories.
It should be noted that most of these copycats can't write very well either.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 19, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That seems like an overly generous explanation. poo poo authors latch on to whatever is currently popular. There are tons of super power battle high school ln's because that is a rather successful sub-genre.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Actually is there a master list of these stupid shows? Because frankly I enjoy them, probably for the same reason I read trashy novels on airplanes.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I feel that there are enough lovely school battle animes every season that this thread could last a very long time.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Need to add to the thread title for each one:

Asterisk of a Failed Hundred Knights.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the irregular asterisk of a failed hundred knights: the 35th infinite test platoon

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Last season we also had the Bahamut something that had nothing to do with the other Bahamut anime and I distinctly remember that last year I watched something I call "lovely Sky Wizards" but have no clue what it's actual name is.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I just thought I'd poke into this thread because while I didn't watch either of these shows, I did watch the last two parts of a 13 video series that a youtuber called Digibro did about Asterisk War being utter trash. Those last two are a direct comparison to Chivalry and why its superior to the point of being "acceptable" rather than trash. I don't normally like that guy other than a really sweet series of character assassination videos he did about Sword Art's various seasons, but I'm glad I watched the two comparing these shows, it was quite interesting. I recommend them to you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9pd0C-Z4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDidtoZeaA

I think I might watch Chivalry at some point. I really love shows and books and movies that do little things right, no matter how lovely the final product actually is. For example, I'm somewhat infamous in the TV-IV Star Trek thread for liking Nemesis for a laundry list of individual tidbits and the strength of the concepts at work regardless of their poo poo execution, and lauding it above Final Frontier and Insurrection which they tend to enjoy for various reasons. Based on Digi's videos and reading through this thread, Chivalry is exactly that kind of product; a show where there are ideas (even if poorly executed) and scenes and characters and moments that stick with you and make you forget the poo poo forest because those trees are so very nice.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sanguinia posted:

Based on Digi's videos and reading through this thread, Chivalry is exactly that kind of product; a show where there are ideas (even if poorly executed) and scenes and characters and moments that stick with you and make you forget the poo poo forest because those trees are so very nice.

Chivalry is currently the top school battle anime in this thread and I don't know if it will be dethroned any time soon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i cannot believe how stupid the new Hundred was lmao. the protagonist stumbling approx. 10 feet to fall directly onto another characters mouth and breasts so as to molest them for the third time thus far is a new record in distance to my knowledge

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

i cannot believe how stupid the new Hundred was lmao. the protagonist stumbling approx. 10 feet to fall directly onto another characters mouth and breasts so as to molest them for the third time thus far is a new record in distance to my knowledge

The twist is obviously that he will do this 100 times by the end of the series.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

There are probably less than ten people in the world who could do it :v:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yuuki Rito once fell down a flight of stairs in order to depantsu Kotegawa Yui with his teeth, and then jam his nose in her crotch. That's still more impressive than anything I've seen in any of these shows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kytrarewn posted:

Yuuki Rito once fell down a flight of stairs in order to depantsu Kotegawa Yui with his teeth, and then jam his nose in her crotch. That's still more impressive than anything I've seen in any of these shows.

Didn't To-LoveRU basically went from typical Jump fanservicey romp to borderline Hentai after leaving WSJ?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

Didn't To-LoveRU basically went from typical Jump fanservicey romp to borderline Hentai after leaving WSJ?

I haven't read the manga, but judging from the TV show, the transition from TLR/MottoTLR to Darkness/(especially)Darkness2 is when it became extremely frustrating to watch. I wouldn't go so far as to call the broadcast show "borderline hentai". On the other hand, the OVAs certainly are.

For some reason, I think the scene I'm describing happened in Motto, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The manga has been pushing the limits as to what is actually legal to print ever since Darkness started.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, we all know the story about that dude's brutal divorce and following breakdown.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I just looked it up online and clicked two random later chapters and both had a bunch of nipples.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To-Love-Ru was the manga that Jump Square guy from Medaka Box was embarrassed to acknowledge.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

TLR has gotten to the point where there is actual uglies-are-bumped hentai manga that manages to be more modest and tasteful.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toushi, no! :(

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

Toushi, no! :(

Since Lala and Haruna are there, it's not Darkness, so the Mayo-ouji is still fine.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wait a min... has "space has been colonized far and wide" always been a fact in this?

• Locked thread