Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

Thanks for the write-up.

Yes, I would be going through OTS. It appears all three rated fields have a maximum age of 33, so I'm automatically disqualified from those. Seems I'm stuck with non-rates. So you can request certain non-rated jobs, but there's no guarantee that you'll get anything remotely close to them, and you won't know until well past the point of no return. Not great, but also about what I expected.

I guess the question is whether I think a four-year stint with a totally unknown job (one that may have absolutely zero employment value outside of the military) is worth it at this point in my life.

Remote Pilot, or RPA Pilot, or 18X, or whatever, currently has a force-wide automatic waiver up to 37 year of age.
You will still fly a real aircraft up in the sky for basic aviation education, usually a Da-20 for about 40 hours. Then you will get instrument qualified on a sim T-6 and you’ll get a ride or two on a real T-6 and T-38 even if you want, and then track towards the unmanned aircraft.

I commissioned at age 33. I got a waiver for the Rated age limit, but my parachute injury wiped me out ejection seats as permanent assignment anyway in the end and I’m now a Remote Pilot.
I’m also a LEAP Scholar for Finnish and Swedish language for the Air Force, and that as your language skill can translate into assingments to embassies or foreign headquarters, even for officers. If you have questions about how to become one, I know more but unless your language is more rare, or you are a loving savant in the more common ones, it can be very hard to get. This, however, is very different from simply having a foreign language in your file, and it is also not an assignment in linguistics or human intelligence.

My degree is History, with African Ritual and American Cultural History as the weighing.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My language aptitude is frankly not good enough at this time to impress anybody. I’d need a decent bit of schooling before it was at a respectable or even useful level. I can bumble my way around the country, but certainly not hold conversations beyond basic stuff. It’s also not a highly in-demand language, since I’m sure the mil has a good chunk of weebs who likely have higher aptitude than I do.

What happens if you sign up for a rated job and get turned down (due to lack of a staffing need)? Are you able to apply again later, or re-apply for a non-rate?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You can apply again, but they probably only do boards once a year these days...again, depending on how many officers they need. That kind of thing, which can fluctuate, is probably best found on the airforceots forums, or maybe they've moved to a reddit or something by now. Those people eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff, and most of the people hunting for info will be college students or recent grads who are very excitable.

Last I heard, which was a couple of years ago, is that OTS is now 8 weeks (previously 12) and there were only two student squadrons (there were four when I went through). So there's a lot of variability.

Edit: technically there were five sqs, but the Dragons were all the hurt/recycling people, so like <10 folks.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You can also contact various States and see if their Air National Guard has boards for Rated jobs.

edit: they all do, but question is when and how many openings

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 12, 2023

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It looks like the Coast Guard also has a higher age limit (41!), so I suppose I could look into those jobs too. I don’t suppose anyone can advise on the process for Coasties?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dick Burglar posted:

I guess the question is whether I think a four-year stint with a totally unknown job (one that may have absolutely zero employment value outside of the military) is worth it at this point in my life.

I'm still curious what you're actually after. Why are you interested in joining? You're basically scanning all the branches at this point, so what are you looking for?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And none of this will fundamentally be different between the branches. Unless you have a very specific skill and or degree, or you trend towards aviation, you will get placed on the needs of the service branch. Regardless of the job you get, it will be administrative and managerial in daily nature in all the branches, unless, once again, you are an aviator or some specific nerd skill. I'm not sure of your specific age but I get some hints, but you're pushing age limits all over.

The Army will at most make you a Warrant Officer for flying because getting Army Aviation out of OCS as an old is such a loving long shot, and the Air Force will likely only make you a Remote Pilot at this point. While I say "only", I don't mean like they're gonna be easy to get. The list of "people with no special skills but they wanna fly helicopters" is quite large and the Army gets its fair share of both prior service and fresh off the street applicants for Warrant slots, and in the Air Force to fly even a drone, you have to take a battery of tests that test your aviation knowledge and instrument understanding, and you will have to get some flight lessons to get a few flight hours to be competitive. For the Army, you'll have to take the SIFT and study for it and show that you'll make a good flight candidate.

Not even counting that you do have to be fit if you wish to be an OCS or OTS route officer. They have plenty of fit applicants, so no one likely will put in a packet for a non-fit one who just barely passes standards.

None of these are meant to dissuade you. I love the military, enough to have done three different services and I'm still on that road. Pay is good, experience is good, and I get to do dope poo poo. But especially if you wish to become an officer, the path can be arduous and just kinda sorta winging it will likely get you nothing. So be more specific, not to just to us but to yourself, about what you want and what do you see in your ideal case, so that we can give you the best guidance.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I am having a hard time deciding how to answer some of these questions, or what information to give, because I am certain that I am easily identifiable already, and I am not keen on sharing certain details on a publicly viewable site--even if it is a dead gay forum.

To be frank, I'd rather talk over PMs or Discord DMs or the likes.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You know where to find us.

However, I'll quote a quip that my commander made: "The first test in the path to becoming an officer is the self-starter ability to find a recruiter/ROTC/OTS , enroll, and start. Most never pass it, which is good". Or something along those lines. It's megahard for anyone really to just give you all the answers.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 17, 2023

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
If you were officer material you’d probably be one by now instead of doing what your doing which is the epitome of pussyfooting and looking for hand holding.

That’s more my people’s department, and we fix it, gently caress it, or forget it with alarming alacrity if it involves ethics or anything to do with the E-4 mafia.

Even the most Junior of officers can have a dozen men and women under them, easily. Not so much with the USAF, but in some fields.. well.. The ones where the enlisted do all the loving work and the officers are just glorified HR and Project Managers? (Looking at you Cyber, Maintenance, an astonishing amount of the shoe clerks, most of Intel, and a few others in the USAF) you can be an O-1 with 10-30 people under you right outta your school.

How the gently caress are you going to be able to lead/command/control/account for 30 goddamn living breathing human beings if you can’t even learn the USAF’s first and truest and longest surviving Shiboleth?

I wasn’t Officer material. You don’t sound like you are, either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is _absolutely_ the wrong thread for this, but, band of Brothers is back at Netflix, the 101st, 182nd, 505 etc. I will Concede this is the wrong thread for this but as as long time civilian adult with long time curiosity what is the naming convention here, or how does this work with the numbers.

How did we get to triple digits, I feel like we would have gotten to 50 or so, and then we reserve a couple of the 3 digit battalions for posterity, I guess based on happenings, but I can't find (and I've looked, several times, I promise, Wikipedia is very opaque on this) any reason why they picked the numbers they did. Sounds like 182nd earned their fame via events (?), but curious about the rest. Probably there's a magic keyword in the search I'm missing. Apologies in advance for being really dumb about this, I really did try, several times. Sometimes these things escape me and I'm just dumb.

Dick Burglar posted:

It looks like the Coast Guard also has a higher age limit (41!), so I suppose I could look into those jobs too. I don’t suppose anyone can advise on the process for Coasties?

Mildly curious to hear more about this. I'm in to boats and see the coast guard on the regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What process are you talking about for coasties? Enlisting?

You have two options-choose a guaranteed A school or enter as a non-rate and wait between 0 months (if critical rating) or up to 3+ years if there’s a long wait list. Your recruiter can let you know what’s critical and what isn’t.

If you’re looking at officer, I don’t think the age requirements have changed that much and you’d need a degree and under the age of 30 I think to qualify for officer candidate school. If you have certain stem field degrees or law degrees you can apply for direct commissioning and the age limits may be higher than 30.

Hadlock: if you like boats and want to stay in your new house, look into seeing if the auxiliary needs any help as a volunteer. You don’t get paid but you patrol the water on auxiliary boats where the CG pays for your fuel.