Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Open general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Active duty infantry gets to choose.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ziji posted:

Anyone have any experience going through the Career Skills Program (CSP)? Might be a better question for the Vets resources thread, but it's that program they offer where your last 180 days in the military you can go through a course (i.e. Welding certification, CDL classes, etc) using your GI Bill. I'm on Fort Carson and they offer a few really good courses for IT poo poo like the MSSA and a Cybersecurity academy but have heard that it is nigh impossible to get the paperwork approved to attend. I am generally curious about any resources available on AD while I transition out as well if anyone has any insight on that.

It depends on your base/leadership/qualifications, but I had several people do that before they left, and if I recall correctly it either only required my signature or the BN CDR's signature maybe, as long as you qualified for the program, though the pre-reqs for the programs I was signing off on were pretty low, as it was mostly HVAC install/repair, CDL, or electric repair 101 type stuff.

It didn't fully exempt people from showing up at the unit, but I was giving significant time away from the unit to them, obviously. Often 4 hours/day with some days being all-day affairs or requiring civilian clothing be worn.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
A friend of mine has been working as a Congressional intern through CSP and he's wrapping it up and leaving DC this week. This was not a position where there was a pre-existing relationship with CSP so he had to first get the internship (with the understanding it would have to be approved by the military as well), take the offer letter and get it approved by CSP, and then get it approved by the unit (BN or BDE, not sure which). As with everything with your transition, it pays to start as early as possible and be persistent in following up on the paperwork - there's a lot of steps involved and poo poo gets lost or sidetracked.

If it's something you're really interested in, I wouldn't hesitate to put the paperwork in just because you might get told no. The whole transition program is mandated by Congress, it's a benefit you earned, and you should be able to take advantage of it. Apply, keep pushing the paperwork through, and if your unit tries to lose it or whatever just keep resubmitting it until they either let you go or give you a denial with a reason, which you should then take back to CSP and whoever else you can think of if it's not legitimate. Don't let them scare you off - it's your future. Again, it pays to start as early as possible but you can start TAP like 15 months out now or something so you should have plenty of time if you plan ahead.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Any of you goons know of any affordable, yet not lovely .mil lodging in San Diego? Thinking of flipping my monthly drill to WA. State into a vacation as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What part of WA?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

What part of WA?

I fly in and drill with a ANG unit in the McChord Area. Figured since ill already be on the west coast, might as well make a vaca out of it.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So, possibly a dumb question; does Tricare cover genetic screening for genetic markers that might indicate higher risks of cancer. I was looking at the Tricare Website and it said genetic screening wasn't covered, but most of the examples seemed to be more for babies and prenatal stuff than cancer checks.

Wanted to know since my family medical history is a giant black hole (both my folks were adopted and don't know their birth families), and my dad died of pancreatic cancer in his 50's which was apparently outside the typical window, which could indicate family history/genetic predisposition.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 16, 2018

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
What looks better for graduate school: spending time as an officer in the Army, or enlisting in the Air Force?

EDIT: Both would be either a public affairs or intelligence position.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Unholy Ghost posted:

What looks better for graduate school: spending time as an officer in the Army, or enlisting in the Air Force?

EDIT: Both would be either a public affairs or intelligence position.

Officer time is better for almost all purposes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Do not enlist if you have any chance whatsoever of being an officer.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

LingcodKilla posted:

Do not enlist if you have any chance whatsoever of being an officer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
As an officer with less than a year left before I get out and working on getting into graduate school, from what I've read officers have up to a 50% higher acceptance rate into graduate programs than non-officers (enlisted and civilians).

Also, it is objectively a stupid decision to enlist in the military when becoming an officer is an option available to you. A 2 year 1LT Makes over twice as much as an E5 SGT living in the barracks. The lowest ranking officer gets BAH without having to marry the first girl they meet to get it.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks guys.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: on second thought nevermind, dumb question with obvious answer

e2: on second thought, maybe I should use this wasted post for a different question. I've always heard that the air force has a higher quality of living than army, at least for enlisted. Is it the same for officers?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 3, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

As Nero Danced posted:

e: on second thought nevermind, dumb question with obvious answer

e2: on second thought, maybe I should use this wasted post for a different question. I've always heard that the air force has a higher quality of living than army, at least for enlisted. Is it the same for officers?

Yes.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Slept in a ditch with army officers on a joint team and every night the enlisted air force CCTs would drive their rental to the hotel, AMA.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Slept in a ditch with army officers on a joint team and every night the enlisted air force CCTs would drive their rental to the hotel, AMA.

Who was the big spoon?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

To be fair, AFSOC dudes play by different rules. Rules where they actually get a voice in how their budget is spent.

As an AF officer and aircrew member, I've almost always had a roommate or two, I've had a room that had a pretty significant bloodstain in the carpet (that room also had a 15" LCD computer monitor as the tv), a room that had a hide-a-bed in a chair as the bed, more than my share of roaches, and one time an outdoor picnic table because I got to it first. So it's not automatic five-star hotels...it's not like I ever had to dig a hole in the ground to sleep in, either.

This is not a complaint post (most of these lovely rooms were in awesome locations), it's recaging for the resource thread.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sleeping in a ditch or some other godforsaken place is just one of those things you do in the military. I couldn't imagine signing up for any service and not spending a single night outside in the career.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uh. I’ve never spent a night outside in the Navy Reserve.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh. I’ve never spent a night outside in the Navy Reserve.

https://youtu.be/5vAwktNw7_8

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I knew what it was without even clicking on it.

And it’s not wrong. I did fall asleep on the beach at dam neck but that was more of a personal decision than forced order.

Join the Navy Reserves with the blessed reservist!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

EBB posted:

Sleeping in a ditch or some other godforsaken place is just one of those things you do in the military. I couldn't imagine signing up for any service and not spending a single night outside in the career.

Coast guard.

We have some lovely old boats with cramped sleeping quarters, but that’s about the worst you can get.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

nwin posted:

Coast guard.

We have some lovely old boats with cramped sleeping quarters, but that’s about the worst you can get.

He said military though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tyler posted:

He said military though

Still retiring in 20-close enough for me.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Spent time overseas in a joint environment sharing a living space with an Air Force reserve and a Navy Reserve. Learning about QOL between the branches was an eye opener.
AF dude was a JTAC so his experience definitely wasn't the norm but I can vouch for Vahakyla's hotel claim. Navy dude was an E5 about to take his E6 test who never held a rifle or ate an MRE before.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cyks posted:

Navy dude was an E5 about to take his E6 test who never held a rifle or ate an MRE before.

:same:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:fuckoff:

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009
Any of you weirdos ever heard of a Vulnerability Assessment Officer?

Just got a new position in the national guard and I get the feeling that it's going to be turbo stupid. I've read what official descriptions I can find about it, but we all know how the official line and reality don't often meet. Before you call me an idiot for taking it, or still being in (right on both counts), it was the only position available for an interstate transfer and I had to bring to bear the influence of my operations major and BC just to get this.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

GreglFaggins posted:

Any of you weirdos ever heard of a Vulnerability Assessment Officer?

Just got a new position in the national guard and I get the feeling that it's going to be turbo stupid. I've read what official descriptions I can find about it, but we all know how the official line and reality don't often meet. Before you call me an idiot for taking it, or still being in (right on both counts), it was the only position available for an interstate transfer and I had to bring to bear the influence of my operations major and BC just to get this.

Is it Comm related?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If you have 60 days of leave and want to take 60 days of ETS leave, can your BDE Commander deny it and force you to sell off your accrued leave?

Rumor is the BDE Commander wants ETSing officers off the books as soon as possible and doesn't want anyone else to take 2 months of ETS leave. Haven't actually ran into anyone that had this happen to them yet though.

Really I just know that the BDE Commander isn't too happy with so many ETSing officers.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My second last commander got QSPd and the brigade commander got a bug up his rear end about 60 days ETS leave. Will he dick you on it? He drat sure might. Can he do it and stay in the rules? ... probably not. My old commander was getting QSP'd and was mad as gently caress about it and went all gently caress the army, so he threw everyone at it including IG complaints. He got his 60 days of leave eventually probably because he was such a pain in the rear end and wouldn't go away.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

Because he was such a pain in the rear end and wouldn't go away.

For all our viewers playing the home game who might be thinking about joining; this is the basis of like 75% of why any- and everything in the military gets done. The other 25% is "Go gently caress yourself, I have rank. Do it."

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
You say that like either of those things are exclusive to the military. The squeaky wheel getting the grease happens with every industry, and "gently caress you, I'm [your boss/a privileged person], do it" exists everywhere. I'm sure there's plenty of dumb loving things unique to how the military works (or doesn't work), but those specific things are pretty much par for the course in adult life.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, but the difference in the military is that they can literally gently caress you 24 hours a day under threat of being imprisoned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

If you have 60 days of leave and want to take 60 days of ETS leave, can your BDE Commander deny it and force you to sell off your accrued leave?

Rumor is the BDE Commander wants ETSing officers off the books as soon as possible and doesn't want anyone else to take 2 months of ETS leave. Haven't actually ran into anyone that had this happen to them yet though.

Really I just know that the BDE Commander isn't too happy with so many ETSing officers.

I guarantee you the answer is written down. In the AF, the guiding reg is AFI 36-3003, Military Leave Program. The relevant section:

quote:

4.1.5.4. Disapproving or Denying Terminal Leave. Unit commanders:
4.1.5.4.1. May disapprove terminal leave for military necessity or in the best interest
of the Air Force.
4.1.5.4.2. Deny terminal leave when governing separation directives require
member’s separation at the earliest possible date. See paragraph 4.1.5.5.5 below.
4.1.5.4.3. Deny terminal leave requested in conjunction with authorized PTDY when
governing separation directives require member’s separation at the earliest possible
date. See paragraph 4.1.5.5.5 below.

Since most stuff regarding leave is sourced from Title 10 (federal law) I suspect the Army's rules are similar if not identical. The middle point deals with stuff like UCMJ action, voluntary or involuntary separation programs (RIF, etc), where there's a defined date or a statement that requires separation asap. It's not the commander's decision unless he has that authority for a specific reason, which he will have to present if you challenge it through legal (Area Defense Counsel, in the AF).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 2, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Huh, it's almost as if this reflects on him in some way. Oh well, lessons not learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

Knives Amilli posted:

Is it Comm related?

No, it's a MP job. Best I can tell it's some form of security analyst. Sounds like made up bullshit honestly.