Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I met a few navy recruiters at a conference this past week, and they talked to me about a job as a Naval Reactors Engineer. I'm finishing up my master's in nuclear engineering. As far as I can tell the job is basically to be the NRC for the navy, to make sure that things don't break, new designs are safe, people aren't loving it up, and ensure the things that get built are safe. I'd like to know if that's correct at all.

They also had some things to say about the job that I'm not sure about. Like how you end up as a commissioned officer and never go underway, get paid on the GS, and don't wear a uniform (probably why you get paid GS). This is technically, I think, an active duty position. I talked to a number of people that day so my recollection of the specifics is a bit foggy, but the job seems really interesting as someone who is a bit older and doesn't want to go out to sea for six months at a time. Also you end up going through a 5 week ODS instead of through the full OCS, does anyone have any experience with that they can share? The guy at the table called it "fork and knife school" but I'd like the opinion of someone that hasn't spent 20+ years in the navy.

Basically I want to know more, because more data points is better.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Yes, ODS is a fork and knife school - it's designed to give well-educated, working professionals a very mild introduction to the military environment. Yes, you live a barracks, you wake up early, and you do things in a boot camp-lite type atmosphere. It's a joke compared to boot camp or OCS. in the long run, your commissioning source is just a point of data about you and has no bearing on your career.

I don't know much about that particular field, but do be careful during the recruiting process: I have met a guy who applied to this program and was rejected, but was simultaneously accepted for the submarine officer program. The recruiter was deliberately vague about which contract they were signing and before this guy knew it, he was going to OCS for a job he didn't want. This is probably very rare and shouldn't deter you from pursuing this field, but still, keep an eye out.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep an eye out. I'm 33 so I have the potential benefit of needing a waiver for any fleet positions, so that should hopefully make things easier to keep straight. Now I just have to figure out how much the job actually pays, I'm being told different things from different places. Someone today said it would be paid as an officer, as opposed to the general schedule. That's a pretty large difference, from O1 to GS13/14, GS13 base pay is basically twice what an O1 makes. That will matter for me.