Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vahakyla posted:

Well the Army decided to loving shaft me today.

gently caress. gently caress.

gently caress.

Not even in yet and you're already getting a taste for how it is. Impressive, Army. Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Fyi, there was a lot of yelling "bang bang bang!" in Army BCT/AIT as well.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Well, after wanting to join for a number of years I finally spoke to an officer recruiter last Wednesday. I'm working to try and get a packet ready for an NFO/Pilot slot. I still have to schedule a MEPS appointment and take the ASTB (I've been studying for that for a couple months). Anyone here have any experience with that pipeline?

I spent about a year going for NFO. Took the ASTB (just use one of the study guides and actively work through it and you should be fine), did pretty well, and my recruiter said the boards kept getting postponed. Once I was about 7 or 8 months in, he asked me how old I was and then told me I was too old to go the NFO route.

Thanks, sir. Appreciate the heads up.

So my first tip would be to make sure you aren't too old. :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I'm 23 right now and from what I understand the aviation cutoff is 27 by time of commission, so barring any major green weenie head-slaps I should be good on the age front.

Good the hear about the studying, I've been using a GRE math prep book and the Barron's ASTB study guide for my prep. So far I've done okay on the practice, but I gotta tone up my math!

Yeah, I turned 28 during the process. You should be fine. It was just the first in a series of many military dickings I received. I'm used to it now. :)

Just keep studying and taking practice tests. I didn't actally get further in the process than taking the ASTB and submitting a packet, so I can't offer any further advice. Good luck.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't have the slightest clue. I think I burned it all and blanked the memory and most of my brain out which explains why I enlisted in the army. :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Basic was dumb, AIT was dumb, "real army" is dumb.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Enlisting with a degree is often the wrong decision, but sometimes it works.

I enlisted at 29 with a BA in English (after spending 2 years as an engineering major), mostly because I wanted to change careers and get back into some type of technology field. I did my research for the various branches and my options and wound up looking at Navy OCS and Army enlistment because for both of those options, you can choose your field. I tried Navy OCS first, but after nearly a year of working with my recruiter, I had hit the age cutoff for what I wanted. Then I went to the army recruiters with a shirt list of 3 jobs I was interested in. Managed to get my top choice, got the training, did my contract, and now I'm getting out and entering into a career field that interests me and pays way better than my last one.

I don't know if it's an atypical success story, but since I know you'll get a ton of people here telling you not to do it, I thought I'd share.

Keep in mind that it's full of suck and idiots and you may very well hate your life while in. I did quite often.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That is awful advice if you don't want to do combat arms. My AIT was almost a year long. Yes, TRADOC sucked but that's a lovely way to pick a job.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What do you want to do? Is the army a stepping stone to something else? Do you want it to be a career?

Lol doesn't matter. Most of the guys I knew who want to 1-term it are reupping now and the ones who were doing it as a retirement career option have left or got kicked out for being broken.

But seriously, just going "hey I'm a gently caress up I guess I should join the military" isn't going to help you.

Have a plan. Do some research. Go to a recruiter with a short list of MOSs.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vahakyla posted:

All my 15W battlebuddies are miserable.

Also in their AIT first formation is at 0345 and bedtime is at 2100.

TRADOC is not an accurate representation of the real army. Nobody should base their decision on what to do for 4+ years on how long school is. I say this as someone who was in TRADOC for over a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Vahakyla, it would behoove you to maintain situational awareness and be tracking the command climate of these forums. Don't act like a soup sandwich.