Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

That's actually how it works for AF officers, the exception being professional careers like chaplain, lawyer, doctor, or "rated" jobs like pilot, nav, air battle manager. They apply to OTS through a separate board, while everyone else goes through one together and finds out their career field about halfway through OTS. Seems weird to me, too. I don't think the Army has an equivalent to the "rated" jobs, though.

I think this has changed, because everyone here at OTS already knows what AFSC they're going into, including the non-rated ones. Apparently they all found out upon acceptance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Active duty, reserve, and guard are all combined into one big class now. There's 2 squadrons running Line Officer training (TFOT, Total force officer training), and one running the non-line (COT, commissioned officer training). I think each TFOT squadron has like 4 student squadrons a piece.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just need a confirmation on my thoughts on the BRS in regards to Guard/Reserves:

Basically it sucks for the reserve components, right? A normal year with no deployments nets me, say $10k. With max contributions on my part, the gov will only match $500 that year, right? It just doesn’t seem worth it to trade 20% of your pension for that tiny contribution.

It seems great for active duty folks who probably won’t stay the full 20, but Guard/Reserves just don’t make enough at drill and AT over a given year for it to be worth it. I feel like I’m missing something, because this never came up during the briefings or CBT, and I have guys strongly considering it.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

GreglFaggins posted:

Any South Carolina guard here?

I just moved here and will likely have to switch branches to transfer, we all know that usually means going to combat arms, ugh. Any units or branches to outright avoid in this state?

There's always the Air Guard...

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

GreglFaggins posted:

I've tried to contact them with no luck yet, unfortunately I'm a 2LT about to pick up 1LT so that makes things a little more difficult (I did spend about 10 years enlisted so hold back the lynch mob). I fully understand how much better the Air Guard is than the Army Guard though.

I appreciate the feedback dudes.

I’d say keep trying to contact them. I’m not sure what openings we have currently on base (there might be a pilot slot), but it’s worth following up.

I would imagine already having a commission might be attractive, because you’d be able to fill the slot ASAP without having to go through the 1-2 year wait for an OTS class date (mine took about 1.5 years from application to commissioning, and that was two years ago. The pipeline is even more backed up now).

If you need any help, let me know. I’ll be on base for drill the first weekend of February.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

For any people thinking that Officer selection is easier/faster in the Guard? LOL

The officer conversion process in the Guard has been the most bullshit process ever and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It makes no goddamn sense that as a E to O applicant, my packet hasn't moved in six months. And once it does make it to NGB its gonna sit for possibly 6 more months (because NGB is understaffed, you see).

It took me about 14 months from application to arriving at OTS in the Air Guard, and I think my packet was sitting up at NGB for half that time.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

do you think you too were unlucky or was that standard for applicants in your wing?

Moreso unlucky I think. My former commander’s official promotion to LtCol was held up at the NGB during the same time frame.

Of course, OTS is backed up now, so the process might be faster, but the wait til your class date will be longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
If you're still dead-set on doing the Guard/Reserves thing, I cannot stress going towards for the Air Force. Most of the "lol Chair Force" jokes are pretty true. We have some older junior enlisted in my squadron, and they're all treated like adults. I can imagine it's only better in a communications squadron. That ain't happening in the army.

The Air Guard still does deploy, but if you get a comm job or something, it's probably not going to be often. I've been at my Guard base for about 8 years, and I'm not aware of many, if any comm troops deploying. My previous squadron was a mobile air traffic control unit, and they went about 12 years between deployments.

That recruiter was right, you will lose money while you're away for training and deployment. Possibly a lot of money. Base pay for a new E-3 is like $2000/month before taxes, plus BAH. Unless you really, really want to do it, I'd forget about it.