Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes; having a hard time getting a straight answer on BRS. Does the gov match 5% of your base pay, or total? Ie when I go to mypay, login and click TSP, should I put 5% in each box under the Traditional column, or just the base pay? I'm using the TSP only for the match, and keeping the rest in a non-gov IRA.

Base pay, emphasis mine

http://militarypay.defense.gov/Port...2-15-093233-913

quote:

 Service Automatic (1%) Contributions. If you opt into the BRS, your service will
begin contributing an amount equal to 1% of your basic pay into your TSP
account each month. This does not come out of your pay. It’s called a Service
Automatic (1%) Contribution and it begins immediately. If you enter service on
or after Jan. 1, 2018, you must wait 60 days before the Service Automatic (1%)
Contribution starts.
 Service Matching Contributions. In addition, if you opt into BRS and elect to
contribute a portion of your own pay into your TSP account, your service will
match up to an additional 4% of your basic pay
. No matter how much you
contribute of your own pay, you can only receive a maximum contribution from
your service of an amount equal to 5% of your basic pay. If you enter service on
or after January 1, 2018, you will begin receiving Service Matching Contributions
after completing two years of service. Service members who opt into BRS will
begin receiving Service Matching Contributions immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I can't find the specifics on TRICARE's site for you but I thought if you were mobilized for a contingency operation your deductible was waived.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

right arm posted:

greetings

my better half and I are looking for someone else to pay off her student debt lol while we do stupid things with our relative youth (29) such as serve in the military :D

she's a practicing DPT so I am guessing she would be an officer? I know absolutely jack poo poo about this other than my dad said thailand was fun when we served in the navy. she really wants to serve and likes the autonomy she says her friend who is also a physical therapist that serves (navy) enjoys compared to the restrictions stateside due to how it used to be a bachelors, not doctorate degree

I'm uhh trilingual? (basic conversational spanish / japanese) but my "career" is in medical billing and I am a type 1 diabetic which I'm pretty sure prevents me from doing anything with the military so I'd just be a military spouse doing whatever the hell a military spouse does if we're overseas (hopefully working) lol

anyways. someone tell me if this is a dumbass idea for her to have a "better" career while serving our country and getting us some healthcare :hellyeah:

Can't speak to how you and your spouses life would be as Navy Medical Service Corps officer and dependent. However, I can pass on the information that the pinned post on FB for Navy Medical Recruiting (https://www.facebook.com/navymedicalofficerrecruiter) FY21 accession numbers have 3 active duty quotas (open positions) and no reserve quotas available for Physical Therapy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

right arm posted:

either way, thank you both for terms to google and people to contact. we'll probably start bugging the correct recruiters sooner than later :cheers:

Don't forget about the US Public Health Commissioned Corps too (https://www.usphs.gov/professions/physical-therapist/)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Have you considered the Special Forces? Enlist 18X-ray in the army and do some high speed cool poo poo with your life. Don't be one of those pussy infantrymen, either. Be SF

Nah man, go Undesignated in the Navy then you can pick *any* job you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I live in the Twin Cities. Specifically I am a network engineer, basically enterprise routing and switching.

This may all be moot, as I just made it to a 3rd round interview with a company where the position starts at $120k. If that happens I would no longer consider the guard.

1. Only you can live your life so whatever we tell you is just advice.

2. You have an established career so unless you want to get treated like a child for the next 4-8 years, don't join

3. If you really want to push your ticket and serve, join the Navy Reserve as an IT or IS. In the Twin Cities, you have one of the only good Navy Reserve centers attached to the Air Force Reserve station that's a growth off of MSP airport.