Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
If you go the Navy route, there are a few designators they could hit you with. Surface Warfare Officer means that you will be a jack of all trades and a master of none, and live your life on a ship, have poo poo working hours, but on occasional you'll see some really amazing places when you're on deployment.

Note the "On occasion." I've been to some great spots (Rota Spain, Gaeta Italy, ... I liked Soda Bay Greece, and some spots in the Philippines and Japan) but then there's also the Sand Box. How much time do you really want to spend in the Persian Gulf?

Depending on your fitness/eye health you might be able to pick up pilot/Naval Flight Officer. Better hours sure, but you are at the mercy of the flight schedule. I've known a few people that hated it and have since gotten out.

You might really get lucky and get Intelligence, but that's up to quotas and is not guaranteed. Bases for it are okay, but you'll still deploy on ships and planes.

None of these designators listed require you to have any background in any of these areas. My undergrad is in International Studies, I'm finishing a graduate degree in National Security Affairs, and I'll likely end up a Chief Engineer on a Destroyer. Because that's what the Navy wants.

AF certainly has the highest standard of living, but man, they have some duty stations in the middle of loving nowhere. Does North Dakota sound good to you? Because the AF has bases there! How about in the middle of the Nevada Desert? That's where some of their aircraft are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

The air force doesn't do "the field". It's just not a thing. The worst deployment I've seen, and this is being as close to the way the army operates as it gets (outside of tacp) is living in tents in Iraq for four months. Aside from that, deployment locations are either a) joint and everyone basically lives the same way or b) basically like living in a holiday Inn in the desert.

The middle of nowhere Nevada desert is a navy base, FYI

Well, CLEARLY no one of importance from the Navy actually goes there if the only people who talk to about it are AF officers!