Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m here mostly out of curiosity and am happy where I am.
What happens if you decide to join the Marines as an officer? Do you get to pick your job? Would Army be somehow better than marines? Also I noticed the US army offers tons of bonuses for anti-air artillery related jobs like Patriot missiles and avengers. Is this a really lovely job for the US? My father had to serve as a conscript in the eastern bloc and AAA and SAM related jobs were the cushy ones they sent the more capable/smart people in while the less capable people were trained as infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What are the best and worst jobs you could have as an officer in the marines? Like where do the ones who didnt do well get sent? And where would you rather be if you can choose the job? What would you be doing if you were commissioned as a marine infantry officer?

Also I noticed a lot of enlisted members seem to look down on OCS and ROTC officers as “butter bars”. Is there anything a junior officer can do to not be a complete rear end in a top hat? I’m assuming it involves letting the NCOs ease you into things before you start pulling rank on everyone without knowing wtf?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

This.

You get the same benefits whether you're combat arms or logistics. One of those has you far less likely to die for some bullshit.

Mostly I just wanted to educate myself on the details from people who have been in to get an idea of what it’s like. Is there any job where you feel like you did something important and can feel good about it when you look back on your life or is that a lot of wishful thinking and marketing from the recruiters?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

ya, it's called not joining the mil

Fair enough. Thanks.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

edit: That was a lot of words, but I forgot to add this ini: Unless you're like mega OOHRAH and really want to join the whitest, most male portion of the whole-rear end military, why would you call out USMC Infantry in particular?
Thank you for this. I just wanted to educate myself. I asked about USMC 2LT because it seems marine infantry are what people stereotypically think of when joining the military so I was curious how that functioned.

The overall takeaway I'm getting is- avoid combat MOS, do your time, get GI Bill + Applicable civilian experience and GTFO.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 21, 2020