Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

What are my options in getting to a line unit? What about getting airborne in AIT despite missing it from contract? I wanna jump from planes. Help me. Feeling motivation loss after my long and arduous journey to do this poo poo. I didn't even lose airborne option because of lies or malice, a NCO just hosed up. And he was super sorry afterwards but that's not loving helping me.

Vahakyla posted:

I want to jump from military airplanes. I always thought it'd be cool, so thus.

But as you kinda mentioned, my ultimate goal is commissioning, so I'll retain my motivation and all that and hence why giving up or pushing my ship out too far are not options for me. I have zero percent interest in useful civilian skills, and I'd like to get as much as the type of things only military can offer, like jumping from an airplane with a rifle. I'm just trying to find cool combat poo poo to do during this time to forget that I was the one leading the platoon at one point.

I'm aware of officer branches and the availability of them seasonally, and that's fine. Like said, Aviation for any branch is still a glimmer in the distance but if, and most likely when, that fails, Rotary WO might interest, or just any officer slot in the Army, but preferably combat.
A few folks I've spoken with said that the Army will send enlisted and officers from leg/mechanized infantry units to Airborne and Ranger courses if they are good performers and show an interest. I'm not sure what exactly you'd have to do, but it's worth expressing your desires to your commander once you get to your unit after training. That said, Airborne-style jumping kinda sucks. Civilian free-fall is much more fun, if a rather expensive hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I wasn't special ops, but I've worked support for them a time or two, and I'd add that, even for line units in their deployment/alert bucket, go-loud trigger-pulling and Apocalypse Now heliborne assaults are <4% of the experience by my estimation. For every time we saw/heard assaulters taking a compound on a live feed, there were far more instances of the same dudes staging to parts of the world where running water is a novelty, and then getting stood down. Peacetime training cycles don't sound terribly fun either. If you want to take it on as a personal challenge, or to get that sick airborne/SCUBA badge on your dress blues, be my guest, but know that getting to run Hulkamania on terrorist masterminds is far from guaranteed, especially in an organization like MARSOC.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
R.I.P. your back/knees/butthole.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Good luck tomorrow, Vahakyla. Hope you find what you're looking for.