Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Hey, everyone!

I’m considering joining the Coast Guard, as it satisfies the two pulls of my heart (always wanted to be either a cop or a Naval Officer), and I found out that the Coast Guard does a lot of the best of both. The only problem I have with joining (except maybe my odds of getting in) is that the wife doesn’t want me to be away for upwards of six months.

I keep hearing conflicting information about the nature of USCG deployments in so far as some times cutters will be out for ~two weeks at a time, and the longest a cutter can be out to sea are three months (logistically). I’ve also heard that overseas deployments can last up to six months at a time. I’m not an idiot, I know that the deployment styles and lengths depend on the unit, mission, and vessel involved, but any information breaking down how deployments work would be appreciated.

I’m 89% sure I want the “Coastie” life, but the more information I can get the better.

I’m only posting this here and not the Coast Guard thread because that appears to be archived right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Hey, man. Huge thanks for the reply, I was doing some digging around the old Coast Guard threads and you’re exactly who I would have wanted a reply from.

How do you choose an afloat or at shore assignment? I assume that your time in service is a large determining factor in how much sway your choice (read: suggestion) has on your assignment.

Do you have any experience with Search and Rescue operations and the kinds of underway time that those craft might see? Do all craft sort of do what is needed at any given time to the best of their ability?