Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Does anyone know of a website that sells air force blues and at a lower rate than AAFES? Im a MXS guardsmen whose worn his blues twice in 6 years and not only have I gotten to fat for my Tech School fit blues but I also lost my service coat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Does the base you report to have an airman's attic?
Nah. Not that I know off. Seems like most Guardsmen dont have extra poo poo to lose/give away.

DoktorLoken posted:

On the Army Guard (and Reserve) side we don't receive a clothing allowance like active duty service members and therefore are able to order all clothing items for free from supply. Does the Air Guard not work this way?

Every 3 years or so (dont quote me on that) we're entitled new uniform orders. The problem? Everybody CONSTANTLY needs new poo poo. Its literally a race to clothing issue to fill out an order before the quarterly money dries up. Only deployables and people going to school are priority for clothing. Plus im pretty sure we have to exchange our EXISTING clothing in order to...order...newer, better fitting clotes.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Look up dry cleaners and/or military surplus stores near the nearest active duty base. They will have tons of stuff airmen never picked up or sold when the EASd. Some of them might have a website but I bet you can get them to ship something to you even if it's over the phone.

Thanks for the tip. Im also gonna check the last few cleaners ive been too. IF they have a sell policy on leftover clothing, i cant imagine they've sold mine as there's not too many Air Force enlisted in Louisville.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 23, 2015

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Question: im a Reservist relocating to the JBLM area. Switched units AFSCs and am awaiting tech school orders. Problem is: I dont have a place lined up to live. Im considering doing the extended stay until i can lock down an apartment (though the prices are insane at 76 a day average) . My question is: does JBLM offer some sort of temporary housing for those who arent on AD orders?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Appreciate the info on AirBnB.. Would've never thought of it. The place ill be staying at for a month is cheaper than the rent i pay in Kentucky.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
anyone know if JBLM has a long term deployment/TDY parking lot? I only know of the PAX terminal and they only let you keep your car there 60 days. Also if they do have a long term lot, will ANG orders work or does it have to be active duty?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
so since we're talking about officer selection, does being on medication for say Blood Pressure disqualify you from attending OTS/Commissioning? Med group is loving me hard for my commissioning physical and making me go to a doctor on the outside to be "treated" before they forward my packet to the State Air Surgeon/NGB. Never mind the fact that my previous BP results were higher and they still let me in the unit. And NGB stamped my commissioning packet approved in my old unit with those same results as well.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Dick Burglar posted:

I just spoke with an army recruiter earlier today and he told me the max age is actually 31, so once you turn 32 you're cut off. I asked about this specifically because I am currently 31. For reserves, the age cutoff is 35.

I know people are going to say "don't join you idiot" but I'm looking into some branch's officer reserves as an option. I figured being a pilot would be cool (I got Lasik and ended up with 20/15 vision), but who knows what the gently caress I'd end up as, since apparently you get no real say in the matter. And I'm good at making terrible life decisions--what's one more? :v:

if you have a tech degree/experience, join a reserve/guard unit with a cyber mission.

If you have a degree/experience in public speaking, intl' studies, law, political/mil science, etc, join a reserve/guard unit with a Intel mission.

Engineering experience? Become a CE officer.

Also consider the Air Force Reserves/Guard over the Army.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Ok so I need some advice here:

October I got selected by my wing to continue the Officer Selection process. iN Guard world that means that the wing will slot you as an O contingent on National Guard Bureau stamping your packet approved. So you have to assemble a packet to send.

I have all the documents I need, except a completed "commissioning physical" (which is absolutely *pointless* as im not going rated and will be too old for rated next year. Plus my last physical was two years ago, guard requires one every 5).

My first physical was to be completed back in October but wasn't because my BP was too high. Fine. Went to an outside physician, on my own time/dime, 5 days and got good readings. Scanned them and sent them in. So now even IF my BP is high again, I was not referred for treatment by the outside physician, so my unit doc is just gonna check my BP and sign off on the packet. A signature is all im waiting on.

Got the signature on November drill?

Med group: Oh no sorry our systems are down

December Drill (next saturday)?

Med group: Oh no sorry, we cant spare 15 minutes to get it signed off so he'll have to wait til January.

I was supposed to be gone for Enlisted Cyberwarfare tech school the end of January. Obviously, Im hesitant to scrap those orders before Im confirmed as O-select by NGB.

So at what part, if any, do I forward this up to my chain and ask for help?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Godholio posted:

Absolutely, now.

And the commissioning physical has nothing to do with rated, it's not a flight physical. It should just be the standard one.

Ah so its an AD thing as well. Are their really health standards for non rated jobs or is just to have an updated health record at time of commissioning?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
For any people thinking that Officer selection is easier/faster in the Guard? LOL

The officer conversion process in the Guard has been the most bullshit process ever and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

It makes no goddamn sense that as a E to O applicant, my packet hasn't moved in six months. And once it does make it to NGB its gonna sit for possibly 6 more months (because NGB is understaffed, you see).

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

pkells posted:

It took me about 14 months from application to arriving at OTS in the Air Guard, and I think my packet was sitting up at NGB for half that time.

do you think you too were unlucky or was that standard for applicants in your wing?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Any of you goons know of any affordable, yet not lovely .mil lodging in San Diego? Thinking of flipping my monthly drill to WA. State into a vacation as well.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

What part of WA?

I fly in and drill with a ANG unit in the McChord Area. Figured since ill already be on the west coast, might as well make a vaca out of it.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

GreglFaggins posted:

Any of you weirdos ever heard of a Vulnerability Assessment Officer?

Just got a new position in the national guard and I get the feeling that it's going to be turbo stupid. I've read what official descriptions I can find about it, but we all know how the official line and reality don't often meet. Before you call me an idiot for taking it, or still being in (right on both counts), it was the only position available for an interstate transfer and I had to bring to bear the influence of my operations major and BC just to get this.

Is it Comm related?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
I too had some *things* on my medical record I was.told to not mention by my recruiter back in 2010. And my dad was army so they could've pulled my military dependent medical record.

Nowadays I'm hearing that if you were a DoD dependent they (i.e. The Air Force medical services for recruiting) WILL cross reference any medical records they have on file so if you're in that boat, dont lie.

Otherwise do not put any burden of proof on yourself if you know its inconsequential...the military will only look into something medical related if they have an existing record or you give them reason too.

And in the case of the DaNerd even him telling them he had asthma wasnt enough to dissuade them from "meeting the needs of the Army!"

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2019

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How dumb would it be to join the National Guard as a 34 year old, non-college grad, making $90K a year?

My career is in IT, and I want to join to get clearance to open up more lucrative jobs, to use the GI bill to pay for school, and also to serve and all that feel good stuff.

My biggest worry is that I simply wont be able to afford the paycut I would take while away on basic and advanced training.

Extremely dumb since most (Air) National Guard jobs that would give you the leg up you want require you to either become an officer or be prior Enlisted. Cyber Intelligence (AFSC: 1N4X1A) is the only career field I can think off that takes non priors but AFAIK they dont have a huge presence in the Natty Guard.

I cant speak for the Army Guard though. I dont know if Signals Branch has any worthwile keyboard jobs because most of their poo poo seems like youre laying cable and comms in the field.

last edit:Also I cant speak for the Army Guards Cyber Branch requirements either. No idea if they take non prior Enlisted or not.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 27, 2020

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Jeremor posted:

Thanks for the replies yall. One question I still can't find the answer to, though I'm sure its very simple, is what are the key differences between reserves and guard? Is it really as simple as reserves don't do any state level jobs?

I understand the posse comitatus act, but are the benefits different? Is there a reason to go one way versus another?

SPeaking from the Air Guard perspective:
Reserves-

Pros:
Lil bro to Big Air Force, mission handed down solely from a Federal Perspective so greater crossflow opportunities into Big Air Force, they give less a poo poo about monthly manning/drill and often time let their members knock out all of their drills in a month or two span (these jobs are called IMA reservists), easier to jump units or even jump to the Active Duty side

Cons:
Since they are a federal program they dont have access to state benefits that the Guard has (Kentucky Nat. Guard for example has full tuition to state schools, their reserve components DO NOT get that benefit). Their recruiting standards are tougher (the Guard will waiver drat near anything), funding can get really wonky as the pot of money isnt as separate as the Guard.

Guard-

Pros:
Will waiver drat near anything, Guard typically has a bigger presence in states and every state has a Guard unit (some states have no AF Reserve units as they heavily rely on proximity to AD bases), can double dip state tuition assistance programs with GI Bill benes (whether its 1606 or post 9-11). Generally more laid back culture

Cons:
Hard AF to jump to Active Duty if youd like to, more difficult to transfer units, very rarely let members deviate from the 1 weekend a month drill schedule (unless in the Flying or Special Operations communities), National Guard Bureau (the higher headquarters for the Guard) does a lot of stupid poo poo

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
And also, heed my words Jeremor:

if your career prospects in life aren't great ATM, joining the Reserves/Guard is not a panacea.

From my POV and experience, the military works to your favor when you have cant-fail plan of what youre getting out of it. This goes triple for the Guard/Reserves since, as many have mentioned, you will be juggling your family, your civilian career, and your military job.

You mentioned IT jobs,? Well let me tell you, unless you're desperate to have a clearance and be a Civil Servant/Contractor/Active Guard Reserve member of a Guard/Reserve unit, everything the military will teach you as a non prior Enlisted troop in a IT career field?...you can learn at a community college.

this isnt to say that it isnt worth it to join.

Not to humblebrag in my case I did the same thing. I switched Guard career fields (from aircraft maintenance to cyber) to leverage what the military would teach me about IT into civilian sector.

I knew literally nothing about computers, but was prior service (which allowed me entry into Air Force Cyber career fields), had a degree so I could commission...and now im benefiting to a huge degree.

But it took me moving 2000 miles, pausing my life for almost 2 and a half years, being in the right place at the right time, always being 2 steps ahead as far as doing planning/research, and blowing through all of my savings to get this far. And im single with no kids.

My point? I dont regret anything, but 90% of this bullshit couldve been avoided had I just took Information Technology classes in college.

And honestly in your case, Id just go active duty if I *had* to join the military.

YMMV

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Arc Light posted:

BaseballPCHiker:

So, my experience has been entirely active duty, but my squadron shares a couple of buildings with a reserve unit. This is all Air Force comm/cyber personnel, so I don't know if it would be an option in, say, the Army National Guard or Reserves, but some of our Air Force reservists do their entire year's drilling obligation in a single shot. They just work as part of the active duty squadron for a month or so, and then disappear back to their civilian jobs for the rest of the year. Back when I was NCOIC of a network management (routers/switches/firewalls/etc) shop, it was always nice to have an extra guy around to help out.

The real trick for guard/reserves seems to be whether or not your unit culture sucks. That's something that you may be able to suss out before joining. From what my various ANG buddies have told me, they all had the chance to visit their units before they joined up, to see if it would be a good fit (and, in turn, a chance for the unit to figure out whether they sucked). idk if that's a thing in the reserves, but it def seemed to be the case for the air guard.

As you could probably deduce from LingcodKilla's post, luck plays a role, but your job plays an even bigger role. I'm 3D172 - Cyber Transport Systems, which is a catch-all for network infrastructure, telephones, data links, and some other stuff. I can basically go anywhere active duty, and I can get deployed anywhere we have computers. I picked the job because I wanted to travel and I wanted to deploy. There are a few comm & intel jobs for computer touchers (programmer, etc) that basically don't deploy, so you could always try for one of those (if your local unit has them) if you want to stay in one place.

I've generally had a good time. Many, maybe most, of the posters here are pretty sour on the military. I guess I'll be other side of that scale. I dropped out of university because I couldn't stand to go to another day of class as an accounting major and I didn't want to sink even more money into a new major. I thought I'd do a single enlistment, then ride the GI Bill back to college. Almost 13 years later, I'm still in. I can live very comfortably on my salary. I deployed a handful of times. I've lived in Germany, Italy, Korea (the good one), and a bunch of US states. There's a lot of nonsense bullshit that comes with being enlisted, especially if you're active duty or you deploy and do the job every day, but it trails off when you get promoted beyond a certain point. After that, it's mostly dealing with other people and their bullshit. At the end of the day, if I could go back to being 19 again, I'd still enlist.

Basically, if you want to join up, do your thing.

Also, Reddit on the whole is a cesspit, but the Air Force subreddit is mostly focused on USAF, and it doesn't generally suck. They regularly have newbie threads that would probably provide better guidance from people who recently joined the ANG or AF Reserves. GiP doesn't have many people who are still in, so the advice that we provide is largely dated and colored by experiences that may no longer be applicable.

Finally, you said that you do enterprise routing and switching. My career field, 3D1X2, is the one that maps directly to your current job. I spent most of my career working in and then running router/switch shops at both the airbase and enterprise level, so I can say from personal experience that prior experience (in particular Cisco experience) is treasured. When people come out of tech school later in life, they're usually treated a bit better than their 18 year old peers, and that goes triple for older Airmen who actually know how to do their jobs.

To add: Those folks who knock out all the drills in one go are what they call IMA (Individual Mobilization Augmentee) Reservists. They are as you said assigned to Active Duty units to perform full time support. Unfortunately this program doesnt really exist in the ANG as the Guard has its own mission set + has to be constantly training to support the States needs if necessary. Traditionally, only the highly specialized career fields in the ANG, like Special Tactics/Flying Career fields have the green light to do quarterly style drills as they often need at least a week of time to keep their operators current on training.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
So im a reservist. ATM im on active duty orders. They end in March. Im also getting my differential pay from my tech job. Im at a bit of a crossroads going forward however...

1. Scenario A: In March I go back to my 6 figure civilian job. Before anyone asks, Its a job requiring a clearance so word on the street is, layoffs will be minimal.

Pros of going back are:
-pay was good and i havent been getting any bonuses while on orders. Im a jr. engineer so i have a lot more money to make.
-once the smoke clears with the recession, i can be in a better position to do an internal transfer to something i like more

Cons of going back are
-job was very software engineer heavy and its not my cuppa tea
-my performance review wasnt good. wasnt bad per se but not good either so that will hang over me

2. Scenario B: I become a full time Active Guard Reserve (AGR) member. Basically its a active duty slot in a reserve unit (so you get paid like a active duty person).

Pros of being a AGR:
-recession proof, and you have to kill someone to be fired
-Im pretty good at the uniform work, its more fulfilling for me
-great health benefits, pad my retirement

Cons of Being a AGR:
-Will take a HUGE pay cut. Something like a minimum of 12k less in yearly salary
-Will be stuck in high cost of living area (as state to state transfers are not easy to come by), which i preferably dont want

3. Scenario C: Get deployed for 6 months on Active Duty orders again next september

Pros of getting deployed again:
-pretty sure id be getting my active duty salary and differential pay again
-THe unit id deploy with is one id highly consider joining in the future, build that relationship up
-get more field experience

Cons of getting deployed again:
-Probably burn my bridge with my civilian employer, theyd have only had me back for 6 months
-Cant take the AGR gig and deploy so would miss out on that
-Will be living out of a hotel for 6 months

Which one would yall do?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Crab Dad posted:

No mention of family?

i only have my Long distance GF and my parents who live far away too. She preferably doesnt wanna settle where i live (wa. state) and living more in the south is our desired location. At the moment however, all the best employment offers for me are in wa. state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
dumb question that I cannot find a clear answer for on google and dont feel like bothering personnel for...

For Officers I understand that the max active commissioned service IF you dont make flag officer, is 30 years (technically now 33 for Air Force O-6's with some program to extend O-6 service for 3 years).

My question is: does active commissioned service time also count your prior E time? I ask because I need roughly 31.5 years of total service time to get my 20 year pension (due to being a Part timer in the ANG for most of my career). I have 13 total service years,and just put on O-3 6 months ago. While Its possible to make O-6 in the next 18 years, id like to not have all my eggs in that basket of HAVING to make O-6 to secure the pension.