Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This consolidation will be far more effective than the "joint basing" concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know who half the people in there are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, the chief of staff is holding people accountable for tweets, facebook, and private text message content.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

People have been getting NJP'd because of poo poo they post on Facebook for like the last 3 years dude

It's one thing when your first sergeant and maybe sq/cc is a dick. It's another when the CSAF makes it an official policy. I'll just remind everyone that the texts that kicked off this fiasco were loving Miley Cyrus lyrics. The careers of the officers involved are done. The careers of the officers who wrote memoranda explaining the qualities of character of those guys during their proceedings were also killed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Wait what are we even talking about

All I'm saying is who was ever AD and thought they couldn't get in trouble for that poo poo

Some pilots were texting each other Miley Cyrus lyrics. Someone narced them out because of drug references in the lyrics. Despite everyone passing drug tests, they all had their aeronautical orders cancelled which takes them off flying status and effectively ends their careers. During the investigation, a number of fellow officers wrote memoranda as character testimony. THOSE officers had their AOs nixed. Then the CSAF came out and effectively said that everything you communicate via any means to any party is subject to punishment. It's shockingly hosed up how he worded it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Haha Jesus Christ I'm talking about male Marines commenting on female Marines pictures on satire websites posting poo poo like "pog rear end wook make a sandwich" but that's absurd.

The text of Gen Welsh's message to wing commanders is in here if anyone wants to read it. Make sure there are no sharp objects under your jaw for when it drops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's one of the multitude of issues here. And it's been several weeks with little sign of change.

I had no idea that's how it all started though. It reads like an evil Clancy novel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shim was AF intelligence, while Marine intelligence is pretty much an oxymoron. What I'm saying is you'll be hosed over in varying ways with each of those options and nobody gives a gently caress about that experience in the civilian world. And if you want to go contractor, I suggest you start looking at job listings to see how much experience they're looking for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The first part is demonstrably inaccurate. There are a lot of people who really do care about the mission, people, etc in the Air Force. The problem is most of them never rise above E-7 or O-3.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It sounds like this IS to try to get you a waiver. I haven't been following your story, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He's a 3-star with no chance at promotion, so it's doubtful another general is going to have any influence unless they're friends.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If there's a job you want and qualify for, do not sign any contract unless it's in there. If you go open you will get the worst job available at the time. The leftovers that nobody wants. That's why they're available.

It seems a little fuzzy because your recruiter doesn't give a gently caress what you want, he wants your name on a contract regardless of what job you want/get. If you want to wait until the right job opens up, you're not helping his numbers. If you sign up for open general, you're out of his hair and he gets a point for his monthly totals.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

tankadillo posted:

I've been talking to an Army recruiter about getting into OCS. When I asked about how I pick my career path as an officer, he brushed off the question and said that all that stuff gets decided during OCS. Is that accurate? It feels weird that I wouldn't get any say in my career until I'm already that deep in the system, but I'm coming to find that a lot of stuff in the military doesn't work the way I would expect.

That's actually how it works for AF officers, the exception being professional careers like chaplain, lawyer, doctor, or "rated" jobs like pilot, nav, air battle manager. They apply to OTS through a separate board, while everyone else goes through one together and finds out their career field about halfway through OTS. Seems weird to me, too. I don't think the Army has an equivalent to the "rated" jobs, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr Newsman posted:

I've got a masters degree in engineering and currently teach engineering undergrads at a state university. It's dull as hell and on a year by year contract that has nothing to do with performance.

Had a buddy of mine stop by my office yesterday who was in town recruiting at the career fairs and he did his job and got me interested in checking out potential careers.

Wondering if anyone has gone in (I'm 29 late this year) with advanced education and viewed it as a positive experience. I might qualify for some of the Navy Biochem positions based on some work I've done before/during academia but I don't know for sure - he didn't have any experience with that side of stuff.

Thoughts? I get paid poo poo now but have decent benefits and a ton of time off. I was the first dude in my family to not go into the military so I know a bit about what it's like, although we had it pretty easy mostly.

Unless there's some kind of program to put you directly in a specific job (for example, the Air Force does this with religious officials/chaplains, lawyers, and medical doctors), but I doubt you'll find that for engineering. You write down your desired jobs (you pick 5 in the AF) and someone in Texas throws a dart at the list of vacant positions. You sign on to be an officer, then they assign you a career.

Most of the actual scientific and engineering work is done by companies contracted by DOD. I've never met a military engineer who did anything but review performance reports and contract paperwork. Of course, I'm assuming you're talking about commissioning. If you want to enlist, you can expect to be singled out because of your age and advanced education, and you will do endless pushups and running because as the elder statesman of your various training classes (from basic until you're fully qualified in your job) their failures reflect YOUR failure as a leader. And once you're done with your training pipeline, you can expect to sweep floors and pick up cigarette butts alongside your 19 and 20 year old peers because you're just as much a peon as a junior enlisted person. At best nobody will care about your degrees. At worst you'll have bad NCOs and officers giving you poo poo because you've got more education than they do.

I think this is a terrible idea, personally.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr Newsman posted:

I figured it was a terrible idea, and am aware that it's probably not something many people would pursue. Just curious if there were any people in similar positions.

I was mostly interested in http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/healthcare-sciences/biochemistry.html#ft-key-requirements but I honestly have no idea if it's a bullshit fake job or not.

That's one of those career fields that might have an option for you to join with a guaranteed job. You're probably going to have to talk to an actual officer recruiter (there are recruiters that specifically deal with getting officers, vs normal recruiters who chase enlistments). IF it's a guarantee, it might be worthwhile. If, like the Air Force, you apply for a commission THEN get assigned a career by personnelists, run away.

It's kind of a niche field, but even if nobody here has much of an answer, you can always post the recruiter's answers to see if they're the usual BS or if they sound plausible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The timing might have changed, but the three O-6s that make up a non-rated accessions board don't deal with AFSC assignment. There's often a gap of a couple of months between the board and the release of results, so AFPC probably does it's voodoo in that window.

Edit: I'm curious how it's changed though. Probably only two or three student squadrons, more than half the OTs are prior enlisted?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 7, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pon de Bundy posted:

im a perenellial gently caress up and my gpa is not officer material , I am 27 would I hate my life in the enlisted Air Force ?? I want that sweet GI bill money for a do over and all . I got a 92 on their little practice asvab. Air Force seems like the place you'd least hate your life

You're going to be a 28 year old working for 19 year olds. And getting punished along with the group because 19 year olds will be acting like 19 year olds. Think very hard about that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Everybody gets 8 years, the active/IRR mix is what might be different. There can also be additional commitment for certain jobs (like pilots).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Waroduce posted:

Can someone give me some reasons why she shouldn't join so the next time this comes up I have something other to say than you're loving retarded?

I almost lost $20,000 in pay because finance people at two different bases were incompetent. (I noticed an irregularity in the separation paperwork, that's how the error was discovered. If I hadn't noticed, it wouldn't have ever been caught).
It took over 6 months to get that $20,000 because I had to resubmit all my paperwork multiple times (my PII, son's PII, birth certificate copies, court documents) because they lost it.
I lost over 30 days of leave when I got out (even after selling back the maximum amount).
I didn't see my kid for three years because I couldn't get more than two days of leave at a time because of TDYs/deployments/training requirements.
My hearing is hosed and my knee is a mess but the doctors didn't document any of it so I'm hosed for disability.
The CSAF is attempting to suspend a good portion of your first amendment rights (want to complain about the AF to your spouse? Better not do it via text, email, or any other means that they think they can seize).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 3, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a long and complicated story, but the really short and incomplete version is that a dozen or so officers' careers are ruined because they were texting each other Miley Cyrus lyrics that raised suspicions of drug use. Phones were illegally seized, people were detained without representation, OSI agents threatened witnesses, it was a complete shitshow. The officers in question were instructor pilots who lost their wings and got paperwork (career ender for an O) and were on their way to being kicked out. Other officers who wrote memoranda as character references were also disciplined. Eventually all that was supposed to be reversed (we're going on 3 or 4 months and everything is still hosed) because everyone passed their drug tests and it became clear it was just a joke using loving song lyrics. But then the CSAF sent out a message that basically said "Anything you write or transmit is fair game, so watch what you say." So far this has gone legally unchallenged.

Edit: That's actually the really short and incomplete version.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not sure if there's a good single article because this developed over several weeks, but JQP has been all over it the whole time. Here are two articles that hit it pretty well...there are others linked in the articles:
Witchhunt
Zero privacy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Small world. I just spent a week listening to one of your patches speak a foreign language with engineers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sheldon, at Fallon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I would not have guessed that. We could've talked guns in addition to trading aircrew and idiot stories.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There are no tangible "benefits" that are different between officer and enlisted besides more money. GI Bill is exactly the same, VA is exactly the same, health care is just as awful, retirement options are the same. There's a way to do your reserve/ROTC thing but I don't know any details other than I knew a guy 15 years ago who was doing it. You'll want to talk to the admissions officer at the ROTC detachment. It's probably an O-3, but this is the stuff he's supposed to know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What exactly have you signed?

Edit: Is there actually a fast-track to citizenship via military service? I know that's "common knowledge" but I've also heard it's BS. I don't currently know anybody with firsthand experience to ask.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Typical Gnu posted:

I found an AF recruiter I can work with, took the ASVAB pretest he gave me-- according to him it functioned as a real test and I just have to take a short "verification"-- and I scored a 99. I read on some small forum a month ago about an option available at MEPS to people who score >96 where they are allowed to hold off and wait for their first pick to become available, but I'm a fool who only bookmarks useless things, so I can't find anything about it now. Has anybody heard about this? I have 10 jobs I'm interested in, but I still have leftover money from my job, so if I have an option to wait I think I'd take it.

They don't own you yet. You don't have the "option" to do poo poo because EVERYTHING is entirely up to you. You can go to MEPS and walk out the door if you want.

Don't take a poo poo job just because they push you to. If you're going to sign away 4-8 years of your life, do it for the job you want. They don't care what job you want or what job you get. As long as you sign for something they get credit for it; if what you want isn't available, WAIT. They won't be happy because it means you don't count in their "win column" yet, but gently caress that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's in your recruiter's best interests to get you another MEPS date if necessary because that's the only way you count as someone he recruited. If you're a douche about it, or you keep wasting these appointments, that's one thing, but if you make it known that you want Job X or either X Y or Z, and you make it known that you won't accept anything else, he has no reason to be a dick about it. He wants you to sign the papers. That is his job. Don't let him do so in a way that fucks you.

Edit: I can't weigh in on those career fields, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What the gently caress is butter butter jam?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think it qualifies you to be a smug rear end in a top hat while you call in air support from helicopters while you're balls deep in enemy MANPADS territory.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Canadian detachment in Oklahoma makes an amazing drink called Moose Milk, so I vote yes so you can gather intelligence (their recipe) and report it to me (via powerpoint).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The key is to not be caught hiding something. This is one of the few areas within the military where common sense actually seems to apply. They actually care if the omission was an error or a lie.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't have to be on AD orders to use billeting, in my experience. Unless there's some weird rules at joint bases. I stayed on-base in the IRR while on a road trip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I guess. Seemed like a nice place to live. I like green stuff and water.

2-3 more years and I get to pursue this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Start with where you want to actually use those credits, then find a program they'll accept transfers from.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Your command should have someone with the knowledge. In the AF each major echelon has a security office...this kind of issue would probably be handled by the squadron or group security shop. I suspect my squadron's shop wouldn't have had a clue, but the group shop had a couple of civilians who'd been there for a decade or more - no doubt they'd know where to look.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't imagine any commander granting an interim clearance with that JPAS status. But yeah, it's weird it wasn't granted after he arrived if it's required for duties.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Find a school that offers what you're looking for and ask their admissions department. They'll have the dates of application and the rest of the details that vary from school to school.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't have to turn in your CAC until your last day, technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Keep in mind if you go online-only, you do not get full BAH. You get half the national average for E-5, which is $8xx/month. If your program is a mix of online and in person, you get the full amount. If you're still on active duty, just :lol: and you get nothing because you already draw BAH.