Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

pkells posted:

If you're still dead-set on doing the Guard/Reserves thing, I cannot stress going towards for the Air Force. Most of the "lol Chair Force" jokes are pretty true. We have some older junior enlisted in my squadron, and they're all treated like adults. I can imagine it's only better in a communications squadron. That ain't happening in the army.

The Air Guard still does deploy, but if you get a comm job or something, it's probably not going to be often. I've been at my Guard base for about 8 years, and I'm not aware of many, if any comm troops deploying. My previous squadron was a mobile air traffic control unit, and they went about 12 years between deployments.

That recruiter was right, you will lose money while you're away for training and deployment. Possibly a lot of money. Base pay for a new E-3 is like $2000/month before taxes, plus BAH. Unless you really, really want to do it, I'd forget about it.

Worth noting also that AF deployments will typically be 4-6 months if you get deployed. Army and Navy deployments are much more likely to be 365s. The difference in the amount of pay you'd lose is staggering. At least the AF will hedge those losses through shorter deployments (typically).

Do you have a degree? If you become an officer the pay scale will at least be somewhat more commensurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU