Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'd be really interested in hearing about your experiences. Maybe I'm WAY off but I was really thinking, 6 weeks for basic, 3 months for advanced training and then I'm more or less free. I didnt think I'd have much besides the weekend a month 2 weeks in the summer deal.

No, definitely not. One of the first obstacles is that you may need the clearance just for your AIT, so you could be a security holdover at your unit, not doing really anything but crap work for months. Your AIT may also be much longer than 3 weeks. The two weeks in the summer just isn't true either. You will regularly have 3 or 4 day weekend drills. That two weeks? More like three with a long drill weekend tacked on. You may not have a combat deployment but could easily deploy for natural disasters and be gone.

If you have a career that you are reasonably happy with I would not recommend the guard or reserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Jeremor posted:

Thanks for the replies yall. One question I still can't find the answer to, though I'm sure its very simple, is what are the key differences between reserves and guard? Is it really as simple as reserves don't do any state level jobs?

I understand the posse comitatus act, but are the benefits different? Is there a reason to go one way versus another?

The benefits are the same. What Stultus said is true of the Army, I don't know how the Air Guard works. The guard will also have state missions that the reserves don't.