Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sleeping in a ditch or some other godforsaken place is just one of those things you do in the military. I couldn't imagine signing up for any service and not spending a single night outside in the career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Really I just know that the BDE Commander isn't too happy with so many ETSing officers.

Huh, it's almost as if this reflects on him in some way. Oh well, lessons not learned.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

So let me get this straight. You want to join the military for grad school resume. But don’t want to spend any time in sub-air force quality lodging...

Please don’t join the military.

Please post more, we miss you :)

Also get on Discord

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The problems you currently have would be amplified by enlisting. You'd still have those problems, but now you're in a contract with basically no agency over your life. Don't do it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How do you feel about contributing to imperialism in exchange for a little money so other people could make a lot of money?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm beyond yelling at people not to join anymore. I'm just saying some of us have conflicting feelings about having worn a uniform and contributing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm trash and still want to join up, though not til at least 2020 and hopefully we won't have Trump anymore at that point. Still the ol' imperialism, but at least hopefully without an utter loving madman at the helm.

I'm currently 33, so I'm near the aging out range. I'm going back to school for pre-med, but that's going to take until sometime in 2021. Then med school, then residency. So I will almost assuredly be 40+ by the time I'm done with medical training. I'm considering joining reserves or NG now, just because I don't know that I want to wait until I'm 40+ to join as a doctor (and that's assuming I succeed). I have a BA in Sociology (lol) and I'm a licensed paramedic. I am also insane and would prefer a more active/involved job than your typical officer role.

I know most people are going to say don't sign up, or to wait, but if I wanted to join in the near future, what would be my best option(s)?

Your plan is eating-crayons dumb. Even if you just told me you were going to start attending med school now and skip the military I'd still say the plan is dumb. Thinking you can do reserve duty and med school at the same time is just :laffo: I'd watch reality television about it

I'm being an rear end in a top hat but you really ticked off the bad idea bingo for "Not much going on in my life, guess I'll join the military" types.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Recruiters don't care what you want, they just need to fill numbers that month. It's also the one time the military will even pretend to negotiate with you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've done the white collar/guard juggle and in the end both careers suffer along with your mental health.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'd be really interested in hearing about your experiences. Maybe I'm WAY off but I was really thinking, 6 weeks for basic, 3 months for advanced training and then I'm more or less free. I didnt think I'd have much besides the weekend a month 2 weeks in the summer deal.

lol @ anybody who thinks it's just one weekend a month two weeks a year

Buddy don't do it. I get that white collar malaise and wanting something new, I get it, but this isn't it. You're just going to end up with two lovely careers you can neither commit to or excel in because they compete while you slowly get more angry and depressed.

Your time on this rock is finite. Don't waste it in uniform. Head over to YOSPOS or BFC and see what they can tell you about working your career instead, it will be better for your life in the long run.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/HiuzgmJ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vaha I cynicism post because that lack of life balance no poo poo made me want to kill myself and you loving suck for minimizing that.