Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

Yep, that's what it looks like. Found this on my schools FAQ.

I'm using post 9/11 benefits, and these are electives for me so it looks like it won't cover those fees. Sucks I'll have to pay $5k($7k with flights) out of pocket but I think it's worth it for the experience, especially considering they're probably one of the only things I'll end up paying for out of pocket during 2 years of grad school.

My school (CU Boulder) had a vet grant for overseas travel and expenses - you might check and see if there is anything similar at your school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any suggestions for dental care benefits for older vets? I'm trying to help my dad find a plan that's not horseshit and from what I can see it's all garbage.

He's using delta dental's veteran plan and it sounds like it's just been absolute crap. He's 51%+ service-disability, a senior, and low-income qualified for most programs.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I went with BeneFeds and found some BCBS dental insurance for me and my kiddo.

See if it works for your dad?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Here’s an interesting (or maybe not) question for you folks (and forgive me if it’s the wrong thread). Got referred over here from a CSPAM thread. Is there any good reason to jump through the hoops of trying to get a general - under honorable conditions discharge upgraded 17+ years on if I’m already done with my education (college and grad school and finished in 2012 so definitely never going back). As far as I’m aware the only real tangible benefit I lost was the GI Bill and as mentioned I’m done with education. I have a professional license but all I had to do was write a letter about how you do and dumb I was and I passed the moral fitness component. I also have VA healthcare benefits (or at least did, I’ve been fortunate enough to be insured for the last nine years and haven’t used them since I was in school so it’s possible if they did enroll you for inactivity that’s happened to me)

Quoting myself from CSPAM for the background less because I think it matters and more just for anyone curious

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah. It’s obviously time and place specific. I joined in June 2001 and had a hot UA shortly after returning from Iraq in September 2003, was discharged in February 2004. In the lead up to our deployment they had been keeping people in even with a hot UA but once we got back they dropped to a zero tolerance rule. But that was probably division or maybe even brigade specific. I wasn’t exactly in a position to know details and I was ready to get out anyway after going through the invasion so I didn’t exactly fight the discharge. Regardless, beyond losing GI Bill it didn’t detrimentally impact my life beyond my pile of student loans and the rest of my unit all got stop lossed like six months later and went back for a year long deployment so I’ve always kind of felt like doing a bunch of coke on a Sunday night was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Hello vet friends here. I've got a C&P exam with VES coming up next month. I submitted 5 different claims and conditions, does VES do a single exam for all five claims? Or will I get referred to other exams from my initial VES appointment?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Howard Phillips posted:

Hello vet friends here. I've got a C&P exam with VES coming up next month. I submitted 5 different claims and conditions, does VES do a single exam for all five claims? Or will I get referred to other exams from my initial VES appointment?

When I did my c&p exam my hearing test and tbi exams were separate from the head to toe exam that covered everything else. So it was a total of three trips to get everything taken care of.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
VA got back to me regarding the supplemental claim I sent in after they told me I didn't prove I'm legally residing in Scotland for the duration of my program. They've denied my claim because I didn't prove I'm legally residing in Scotland for the duration of my program. I sent them my residency permit and my entry visa, this time I sent them my housing contract and a letter from the university outlining how long my program is.

I am so loving tired of this bullshit.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hekk posted:

When I did my c&p exam my hearing test and tbi exams were separate from the head to toe exam that covered everything else. So it was a total of three trips to get everything taken care of.

Two exams. One for joint head to toe exam and another for hearing just like you.

I hope I get an answer soon.

I filed my claims in November with an intent to file letter from January. If the decision goes past the original intent to file date, do I still get back payed (since I filed before the intent expired)?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Howard Phillips posted:

Two exams. One for joint head to toe exam and another for hearing just like you.

I hope I get an answer soon.

I filed my claims in November with an intent to file letter from January. If the decision goes past the original intent to file date, do I still get back payed (since I filed before the intent expired)?

As I understand the process, when you give the VA an Intent to File, it starts a 1 year clock for you get everything together for your claim. Anything awarded from that claim will be back dated to the date you submitted the Intent to File. However it only works for one claim so you can't make a claim and see what you get and then decide to make another claim and get additional backdated benefits.

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/intenttofile.pdf

So, yeah if you submitted an Intent to File in January and submitted your claim in November and are awarded a disability rating your benefits will be backdated to January. How long the VA takes to hand down a decision won't be a factor in it being backdated.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 11, 2021

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hekk posted:

As I understand the process, when you give the VA an Intent to File, it starts a 1 year clock for you get everything together for your claim. Anything awarded from that claim will be back dated to the date you submitted the Intent to File. However it only works for one claim so you can't make a claim and see what you get and then decide to make another claim and get additional backdated benefits.

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/intenttofile.pdf

So, yeah if you submitted an Intent to File in January and submitted your claim in November and are awarded a disability rating your benefits will be backdated to January.

Got it. Thanks Hekk.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
I've been out since 04. Over the years I've thought about applying for benefits and had guys I was in with tell me I should apply for stuff, and get whatever I can. Idk what exactly "stuff" is. I'm assuming some sort of rating and/or medical benefits.

I've always been either too lazy to get around to looking into it, figure it's too late to do it now, or simply forget about it for long periods of time.

I did use my gi bill for 2 years of school, an opportunity I basically pissed away. Now I'm 41 years old, decent job with decent benefits and am going back to school on my own for industrial maintenance. I still question whether it's still worth looking into. I don't feel like I really deserve any sort of rating for anything except maybe burn fields..(at least that's what a buddy tells me) No combat.

I've been reading through the last 10ish pages of this thread. Some good info in here to go through, OP and In the comments. Plenty of VA nightmares too.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you have a copy of your medical records you should contact your local VSO (I went through Disabled American Veterans) and send them over to a rep. They will come back with a list of things you should claim. The 18 year lapse between your EAS and filing a claim will make it harder to prove that an issue is service related. However, the only thing you are out is your time and the worst that can happen is you get what you are getting now, which is nothing.

I am at work and on my phone so I can’t check but I am almost certain burn pit claims are presumptive now. Meaning that anyone who was in theater during the burn pit era who makes a claim automatically gets 0% service connection. That might not pay money but it gives you a basis to claim a connection if you get lung issues down the line.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2021

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Hekk posted:

If you have a copy of your medical records you should contact your local VSO...

Thanks. Are you referring to my service specific med records? I don't really have much since. Don't think I've even had a checkup since 05 lol

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BounceBanana posted:

Thanks. Are you referring to my service specific med records? I don't really have much since. Don't think I've even had a checkup since 05 lol

Yeah if you got out in 2004 you should have a paper copy of all of your medical records. If you give that to the DAV or another VSO; they have people who specialize in identifying claims that should be made to the VA.

Step 1 would be reaching out to one of them and asking if they can help you with a claim. They’ll ask for your military medical records. They will come back with a list of things you should claim. You’ll fill out the claim forms like they tell you to and send them back to the VSO who will in turn file on your behalf.

Things get a bit more complicated if you want to make claims with no medical records to support. Especially since it’s been close to 20 years now but your local VSO would be better suited to walk you through whatever that process would be.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2021

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I filed 18 years after I got out. Reach out to a VSO today. Don't keep putting it off because you're giving away tax free money like I did.

I used my county's Vet Service Office and many others used DAV. Get that ball rolling.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I filed 18 years after I got out. Reach out to a VSO today. Don't keep putting it off because you're giving away tax free money like I did.

I used my county's Vet Service Office and many others used DAV. Get that ball rolling.

+1

I should've filed while I was going through TAPS because active duty filers get priority adjudication. Meanwhile my buddy who filed got 90% right away and was able to attend an Ivy league MBA program on vocrehab.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I've posted before about what motivated me to finally file, but I'll post again. I don't have a gi bill for my kid (academies didn't at the time I attended). Fast forward to 2018 and I want to get veteran on my DL (because I knew I needed a dryer from Lowe's) which requires a county VSO to sign a DMV form.

While I was there, the guy asks me if I've filed. I replied no, and he tell me of CA's waiver of public college tuition for your kid until age 26 if you're zero percent or more. My jaw dropped and I filed the intent to file right there.

Thought I might get zero or ten and ended up getting forty for tinnitus and a sometime painful scar from when I was doing some poo poo as a plebe in a drop ceiling during army navy week when an upperclassman decided to stab a knife through the tiles at us.

He didn't stab me, but the support wires cut a nerve in my right ring finger, so thanks Tom Scheer for 30 percent of my 40 rating I guess.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Part of the reason why I ended up applying is that even with 0% the VA waives the VA loan funding fee. That could save $5-6k depending on the price of the house. Also, if you're 100% some states will waive property taxes or give you 50% discount, which is insane. And finally at 50% rating you are also eligible for free healthcare through the VA (not just for rated medical issues.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Nthing "don't wait." I got out of AD in '98, and the Guard in '02. I just filed a couple of years ago, and even though it took almost two years to go through (covid backlog, most likely) I got a 70% rating. For me, that's just under $1450 a month - do you know how much easier my life would have been had I filed 20 years ago when I was like "Nah, there are other folks who need it more than I do?"

I missed out on like $300K worth of tax free money, would have had a much easier time paying my mortgage (possibly to the point where the house would have been paid off,) and potentially been less grumpy about my back and knees hurting every day (unlikely though.)

Contact DAV and just get this poo poo done.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They can give the money to you, or they can give the money to corporations and the wealthy in tax cuts. The choice is yours.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Evil SpongeBob posted:

That's encouraging to know someone was in my spot and still went through with it after a long time. I gotta schedule in some time and mental energy for myself to look into it. Thanks.

berzerkmonkey posted:

... "Nah, there are other folks who need it more than I do?" .....

Contact DAV and just get this poo poo done.

That's pretty similar to my thought process plus I know several people who are the total bullshit and play the system types and my ego didn't want to be seen like that.

BounceBanana fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 15, 2021

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I used to tell myself that if I filed a claim that I would be "gaming the system" or "taking from the vets who really need it."

You gotta get out of that mind frame. This is money and help that's there specifically for you to use. I got my head all hosed up from this poo poo, and I would've gone on that way until I killed myself if my wife didn't tell me to wake the gently caress up and get help.

I ended up going to VA for mental health just to get my wife off my back, and I ended up realizing that what I was going through was not normal, and I really wasn't handling it in a healthy way like I thought I was. I was assuming that because I was a medic and I signed up for this poo poo that I wasn't entitled to anything. Just part of the job.

My life since I received my rating back in 2017 is a huge upgrade. It's not just the money or the healthcare. It's the validation that my issues are real and there's an entire government agency that agrees. I get the counseling I need, I get some money for bills, and it all adds up to just the slightest bit of relief from financial anxiety, which in turn contributes to lowering my general anxiety.

It took me 10 years to make this decision and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it in 2007. There's literally no risk, and potentially huge rewards. Anybody reading this who is wondering if they should file a claim, even if it's just for something little, just get it done.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

BounceBanana posted:

That's encouraging to know someone was in my spot and still went through with it after a long time. I gotta schedule in some time and mental energy for myself to look into it. Thanks.

Can I give some tough love and instead say schedule time with a VSO, not to "look into it"?

They'll be 1000 times more familiar than you and can probably drop a notice to file that day which starts your clock and pay day.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Can I give some tough love and instead say schedule time with a VSO, not to "look into it"?

They'll be 1000 times more familiar than you and can probably drop a notice to file that day which starts your clock and pay day.

Absolutely do this. If you feel a tinge of guilt in your heart about "more worthy" recipients of VA bux, just send money to whatever VSO helped you with your claim. The DAV does lifetime memberships for 300 bucks. I signed up as soon as I got my rating back. That way they can keep doing the same thing for other vets.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Grab onto the best social safety net in the USA and share the perks with your friends. Any money you dont claim (you have already earned all of these benefits) will be used as an excuse to par down these services in the future.

If you feel uncomfortable taking the monthly payments then donate them. The federal government blows money fast on a ton of bullshit - injecting cash directly back into your community is undoubtedly superior to letting the congress determine how they would like to reapportion those funds.

There is no actual scarcity here. You arent taking money put of the hands of the poor or destitute. You are entitled to these benefits for the work and sacrifices you jave already performed.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 16, 2021

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Thanks everyone. Though I'm not exactly sure what a vso is (Victoria's secret online..) I used the search tool linked in op which gave a
names and numbers of a few people locally. If I can get a nap in at work tonight I'll see about contacting one of them tomorrow.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Veterans service office. Disabled American veterans DAV is a big one.

A lot of local governments also have VSOs who can help as well for free.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BounceBanana posted:

Thanks everyone. Though I'm not exactly sure what a vso is (Victoria's secret online..) I used the search tool linked in op which gave a
names and numbers of a few people locally. If I can get a nap in at work tonight I'll see about contacting one of them tomorrow.

Unless you're specifically looking for lingerie, the VSO is a veteran's service org. DAV (Disabled American Veterans) is an example. Honestly, the process is easy as hell - you contact them via email, someone will get back to you (be aware that they can be kind of gruff - they're probably very overworked) and you'll tell them what you are claiming (for me it was feet, back, knees) and, if you have them, scans of your military medical records corroborating your claims (if you have them - I made copies when I left the service.) DAV will submit the claim and line up whatever appointments you need. You just show up, tell the medical professional what you're there for, and they'll check you out. My biggest gripe about the process was the two years it took to be approved, HOWEVER, covid happened to drop right into the middle of my claim, so the VA was backlogged. Be aware, your claim will also be backlogged because they're still catching up, BUT your payments will be dated from your initial filing date, so get that poo poo in ASAP.

Note - if you do not have your medical records, DAV can get them for you, so don't sweat that part. Also, If whatever you want to claim isn't in your medical records (we're all victims of "just suck that poo poo up and don't go to sick call") don't sweat that either - DAV will help you, it just may take a little more back and forth.

Finally, WRITE poo poo DOWN. If, for instance, you bend over and that disc issue flares up and you lock up in pain for about 5 seconds, document it. If you can't squat without your knees grinding and a tear coming to your eye, document it. Every time your issue(s) causes you any pain or discomfort, document it. The medical folks will ask you to describe your situation and rate your pain, so it's good to go in with something you can give them. Don't be like me and try to do it from memory, then walk out and go "Oh poo poo, I should have said that..."

As for finding time, if you can watch some tv or are sitting on the shitter at work, you've got the time to fill out the contact form on DAV. It takes like 5 minutes to get the ball rolling.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My county VSO guy was upset I asked to get the certification for my license to be marked veteran. I think I was interrupting the show he was watching.

I really end to get off my rear end and talk w DAV. I'm in the same boat as monkey and barryl, off active in 93, out of the reserves in 96. My medical record copies were lost in a house flood.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just following up, thanks for all the info on the VA loan stuff back in October. Closing took a long time on account of a new septic installation, but we finally got it done in early December and just moved in a couple of weeks ago. We ended up not going with the VA because of the extra red tape and the insane housing market up here (new england), but everyone's advice pointed us in the right direction :tipshat:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Just following up, thanks for all the info on the VA loan stuff back in October. Closing took a long time on account of a new septic installation, but we finally got it done in early December and just moved in a couple of weeks ago. We ended up not going with the VA because of the extra red tape and the insane housing market up here (new england), but everyone's advice pointed us in the right direction :tipshat:

Congrats on closing and I hope you enjoy your new home. Did you end up paying standard 20% down payment? I've been told by brokers that the extra 7-14 days of VA clearance makes it difficult for sellers in a hot seller's market.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We ended up putting 10k down. 20% was out of our reach, but even with just 10k we ended up with a mortgage that's only a few hundred higher than our previous rent (and will probably be equivalent to rent in a few years, the way things are skyrocketing up here).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

My county VSO guy was upset I asked to get the certification for my license to be marked veteran. I think I was interrupting the show he was watching.

I know in CT, all you need to do is send in a copy of your DD214 when you get a new license. You can technically get it done at any time, but the DMV will charge you for a full renewal if you do it before your scheduled license renewal, so I haven't done it yet, because gently caress giving those guys more money.

I know that you can also get a vet ID and a VA card online, but I haven't done that either - TBH, the only time I've ever needed proof is when I go in for a free meal on Veteran's Day, and then I just show a redacted copy of my DD214.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

BounceBanana posted:

Need update. We're pushing you out of love here.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

berzerkmonkey posted:

I know in CT, all you need to do is send in a copy of your DD214 when you get a new license. You can technically get it done at any time, but the DMV will charge you for a full renewal if you do it before your scheduled license renewal, so I haven't done it yet, because gently caress giving those guys more money.

I know that you can also get a vet ID and a VA card online, but I haven't done that either - TBH, the only time I've ever needed proof is when I go in for a free meal on Veteran's Day, and then I just show a redacted copy of my DD214.

Pre covid Illinois they wanted a vso signed and stamped copy of the DD-214.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’ve been putting off using the DAV, mostly because I’ve had other stuff going on not the least of which has been a total career change, job search, and subsequent new job. Plus, two kids, covid, conflicts with my parents. But the truth is we could still use the money. I know I’ll be claiming tinnitus. I have lower back issues too, but a civilian doctor very recently checked me out for that and saw nothing abnormal on the X-ray. But, I’m doing it in January—especially after reading the last few posts talking about stuff not in medical records, etc.

As an aside, my state put Veteran on my DL without hardly looking at me—I requested it and showed them my CAC that hasn’t been valid since 2012, and they shrugged and said, “good enough.” Ludicrous y’all can’t just take your DD214 to your DMV, why does a VSO have to be a middleman? That sounds absolutely unnecessary.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I needed a piece of paperwork from VBA or whatever for my DV plate in Colorado. DD214 was enough for the ID indicator. Having to make a detour to the clinic VBA office to pay $7 for a license plate with no renewal cost was very much worth it.

If you're in Colorado with a 50%+ rating total, get your DV plate. The renewal fees and taxes are kinda nuts here.

There are probably a few other states that offer discount plates if you have a rating.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you're in Colorado with a 50%+ rating total, get your DV plate.

The DV plate in Colorado also lets you get into Colorado State Parks for free.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MonkeyWash posted:

The DV plate in Colorado also lets you get into Colorado State Parks for free.

Also free fishing/hunting permits, I think at 50%. Doesn't include big game tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I picked my DV plate up because my college charges close to $600 for a parking pass each year. DV plate makes parking free. Also, the closer parking saved me a mile per day on these rickety knees and back.